Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

AtomikKrab posted:

there are 777,778 worlds... thank you.

Because Zoss never made a duplicate to his home world (allison's earth) because he was that kind of rear end in a top hat, and then made it very clear there were 777777 keys/worlds to confuse things and keep it lost in the shuffle.

... not sure how right you are but that would explain the why, if YISUN divided evenly, there would be an odd number of gods/worlds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

... not sure how right you are but that would explain the why, if YISUN divided evenly, there would be an odd number of gods/worlds

they specifically said allisons earth is in mottoms domain

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

violent sex idiot posted:

they specifically said allisons earth is in mottoms domain

yeah that's the biggest strike against it

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
I'm waiting for the retcon where Abaddon is like, poo poo those names are really similar, my bad.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Possible, although it is already debated:

Abbadon in a comment somewhere posted:

Generally it is accepted there are 388,888 White Gods and 388,889 Black Gods, and this is the official version endorsed by the Concordance of Demiurges and the Seven Lords of Infinity, but there is some (rare) dissidence, including a hermaphrodite God, a gray God, and the bizarre notion of two times 0.5 of a God (which is rarer still due to dispute about just what 0.5 of a God constitutes)

I love this theology. :allears:

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Nov 20, 2016

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Then there's the theory where the gods just shower off and jump into a big bucket of black or white paint to keep the priests guessing. It's not a very well-followed theory.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

MikeJF posted:

.5 God Presses.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

DarkCrawler posted:

(what the gently caress is as valuable as an entire universe?!)

Not dying and living the rest of your existence in unimaginable luxury.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

MikeJF posted:

Mottom's backstory is how she got her start in power, I mean I expect he funded the campaign taking the Seven from a small pact to winning the war.

They didn't win the war together, I'm pretty sure. The Pact of the Seven Part World happened after every other demiurge was dead.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Nov 20, 2016

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

MikeJF posted:

A god is a god. You can't say it's only a half.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
are you saying it's not possible for a god to be half a god? that seems like exactly the kind of bullshit a god would pull imo

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
Why stop at .5? Keep going until this turns into Cantor's Aesmas and the lessons she didn't learn being an indivisible particle.

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012
Guys, guys, its clear what the answer is. The gods are equally divided because YISUN still (does/does not) exist!

Its Schrodinger's Cat, in god form. Of course they'd have trouble counting Him/Her/It/They/Whatever!

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
2 Michael is the only Angel I know who can have fun defending an empty city...

FOR 12 KALPAS

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
My Apologies to John Cleese -

Half a God, philosophically, must, ipso facto, half not be.
But half the God
has got to be,
vis a vis
its entity - do you see?

But can a God
be said to be
or not to be
an entire God
when half the God
is not a God
due to some ancient injury?

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Okay so this page shows Zoss and the 7. Is that supposed to be literal? I'm trying to make sense of the timeline. I was under the impression that the war that the Seven won and split creation over was after he vanished.

Admittedly, I didn't read very thoroughly my first time reading this.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Malpais Legate posted:

Okay so this page shows Zoss and the 7. Is that supposed to be literal? I'm trying to make sense of the timeline. I was under the impression that the war that the Seven won and split creation over was after he vanished.

Admittedly, I didn't read very thoroughly my first time reading this.

Zoss abandons his heaven after the second reconquest begins.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Malpais Legate posted:

It just shows them hanging out when they're younger, maybe Zoss hung out with his demiurge bros back in peace time

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
In one of his talks with Allison, Zoss talks about how much of a whiner Mottom is. He's probably interacted with all of them as the leader of creation.

Edit: This One

Happy Underpants fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Nov 21, 2016

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Unless I've vastly misread something, the way the whole thing works is that the demiurges used to be Zoss' comrades in arms, companions, and servants. At least some of them helped Zoss set up his empire in the first place.

Think of Alexander the Great and the diadochi, and keep in mind most of the people at the level of the demiurges are functionally immortal.

Benson Cunningham posted:

I'm waiting for the retcon where Abaddon is like, poo poo those names are really similar, my bad.
Well the thing is Mottom is shortened from Mother Om and her name is actually Nadia.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Nov 21, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Unless I've vastly misread something, the way the whole thing works is that the demiurges used to be Zoss' comrades in arms, companions, and servants. At least some of them helped Zoss set up his empire in the first place.

The early ones were, but the Seven rose to a much-diluted demiurge rank after the worlds were opened by keys. They never cut their own way to Throne, so they were never really on the same tier as him like the first-gen demiurges were.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I don't think anyone was on the same tier as him, since the act of breaching was itself a huge breakthrough that allowed lesser attempts to make it.

Where was it stated they're all 3rd gen?

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
Zoss conquered Throne alone. The conquest of the 777,777 universes was done by the Demiurges while Zoss reigned over his Throne.

unless I misunderstood something, which is often the case.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

I don't think anyone was on the same tier as him, since the act of breaching was itself a huge breakthrough that allowed lesser attempts to make it.

Even so they weren't even on the level of the people who managed to break into throne after Zoss paved the way. At LEAST two tiers down.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah. Zoss was top-tier, then for a while Demiurge society consisted of the elite who managed to follow his footsteps, who he probably considered peers, even if they weren't on the same level as him. Then the universes were opened up and Demiurge society was joined by scrubs who became Demiurges by amassing power but didn't cut their way to Throne like the original Demiurges did.

After that, the opening of universes became a real conquest, and then it turned to war.

All of the original Demiurges out-powered The Seven of the time by quite a bit, but presumably they mutually annihilated during the war.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Nov 21, 2016

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

All the demiurges on up to Zoss were, also, for all their power still fundamentally mortal and vulnerable. You could be a top-tier demiurge and still get ganked by, say, a sufficiently motivated woman with no powers except a knife in the right place.

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

All of the original Demiurges out-powered The Seven of the time by quite a bit, but presumably they mutually annihilated during the war.

I think he answered a question somewhere saying that although they weren't initially as powerful as 1st generation demiurges, they each hold 111,111 keys and have had absolute dominion over a 7th of the universe for a ludicrously long time to consolidate their power. So it'd be an open question who'd win if a first gen suddenly appeared again in the current climate

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Happy Underpants posted:

In one of his talks with Allison, Zoss talks about how much of a whiner Mottom is. He's probably interacted with all of them as the leader of creation.

Edit: This One

man those last three panels are some of the baddest poo poo ever. grouchy spirit-guide/grandad Zoss is the best.

"i choose king" *cuts the world*

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
You know saying there are 777,777 worlds is probably just a fancy way of saying there are infinite worlds

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

A big flaming stink posted:

You know saying there are 777,777 worlds is probably just a fancy way of saying there are infinite worlds

Its 777,777 universes not worlds.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

A big flaming stink posted:

In any other story I'd agree, however it's been stated that the demiurges have quite literally split the total of all worlds seven ways between them. That being the case, I assume the 777,777 worlds is the literal number.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It's universes. The 777,777 gods looked out from throne and wove a yarn that became a universe.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Spiderdrake posted:

It's universes.

I'm aware. The terms have been used interchangeably in this comic.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I suspect a universe can contain several worlds, ie planets. But all the worlds in a universe would could be reached by travelling in a way germane to the universe, rather than by division. Like taking a rocket to Mars or something.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

I suspect a universe can contain several worlds, ie planets. But all the worlds in a universe would could be reached by travelling in a way germane to the universe, rather than by division. Like taking a rocket to Mars or something.

Some universes are like ours, really huge with all sorts of galaxies and possibly habitable worlds. Others are a single planet in a crystal sphere orbited by a big light source.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

DarkCrawler posted:

(what the gently caress is as valuable as an entire universe?!)
The creation of exotic financial instruments is one of the least-known uses of the Art.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Derivatives, man. Let us sell god a bad loan to see if he goes broke.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Fanfic. It's how Ciocie wants to finance her return to Ebon Devilhood.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

atomicthumbs posted:

The creation of exotic financial instruments is one of the least-known uses of the Art.

The sanctioned act is to short.

The act of royalty is a continuous hedging motion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Throne still hasnt recovered from the subprime buttfruit loan crash of '08