Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

How are they going to do remakes anymore now that Totem Pokemon are objectively better in literally every way.

I love the improvements to statuses! I used to ignore them (I only play the main game, don't care about meta) but now I'm changing up my entire strategy to play smarter by using statuses and buffs/debuffs. Combat feels more interesting now. Also drat I did not have the right setup for the wishiwashi totem, that fight was hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Blaziken386 posted:

Is there no way to stop it from doing that?

Apparently it's only once per battle? So there's that.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Classtoise posted:

No, but it needs to be above 50% health and dip below that without dying so if it doesn't heal mid-battle its 1/per.

Also its ability lets it bypass Spirit Shackle, Arena Trap etc. when it activates

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Classtoise posted:

That's apparently false.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Zore posted:

Yep, same as Wimpod.

Still a little fraidy-cat even as a buff samurai bug :3:

You look so cool space bug but you let me down!

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Zore posted:

No, but it needs to be above 50% health and dip below that without dying so if it doesn't heal mid-battle its 1/per.

Also its ability lets it bypass Spirit Shackle, Arena Trap etc. when it activates

Dude is either gonna be a sleeper monster or completely worthless.

I love him.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
RE: all the wimpod talk, I just got mine to 25 on the way to Samurai Bug, does he auto-switch out against trainers or does the ability just fizzle? Does it waste a turn?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Soul Glo posted:

RE: all the wimpod talk, I just got mine to 25 on the way to Samurai Bug, does he auto-switch out against trainers or does the ability just fizzle? Does it waste a turn?

Auto switches vs trainers. Does not waste a turn unless it activates before he attacks.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Soul Glo posted:

If it activates before Wimpod attacks, then yeah, it does "waste a turn." Wimpod's decently speedy for its place in the game, though.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
What's up with the sad Magnemite in the geothermal plant? Is there a way to cheer it up?

Zoo06
Jul 20, 2007

Neeksy posted:

Is there a way to get bubbling fishing spots to spawn? Trying to initiate a battle with a corsola and a normal 1% fishing encounter rate is going to kill me.

Leave the area and come back. Not just wander off, but go to a place where a new area loads. I did this while grinding for a Feebas at the entrance to the Water Trial. Seems that the same rocks always have bubbles on it. Hopefully you can find one next to a new screen...going inside a building may have the same effect, but I haven't tested it.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

My Pokemon were worn out because I like wasting time catching Pokemon for Wonder Trade and here comes Hau right before the Pokemon Center to battle me, fuc-

"Let's make this honorable and heal up our Pokemon."

:geno: I mean I still like him and his cool battle theme it's just that he still has 2 Pokemon so he could have afforded to be a dick there.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

How are they going to do remakes anymore now that Totem Pokemon are objectively better in literally every way.

We all need to make sure this is the most successful generation ever so that they feel comfortable throwing Gyms in the trash and doing out there poo poo like this from now on

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Wow, I just had my first fight with Guzma and he loving flattened me, his Ariados got two of my dudes with fell stinger and just shredded the rest of my team with shadow sneak.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Catastropika is an amazing Z-Move, all of them are great actually. I thought it was particularly funny where Aether and Team Skull face off and there's a dramatic zoom on that random Slowpoke

this game is great

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

My Pokemon were worn out because I like wasting time catching Pokemon for Wonder Trade and here comes Hau right before the Pokemon Center to battle me, fuc-

"Let's make this honorable and heal up our Pokemon."

:geno: I mean I still like him and his cool battle theme it's just that he still has 2 Pokemon so he could have afforded to be a dick there.

This game is super aggressive about healing your guys. It doesn't even tell you it's done it half the time.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

post game spoilers LET ME GO WITH YOU TO KANTO, LILLIE. LET ME ON THAT loving BOAT.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I don't know. Like I think this was the first time in a long time I actually had to strategize in a Pokemon game beyond "use X type".

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dr. Fetus posted:

I don't know. Like I think this was the first time in a long time I actually had to strategize in a Pokemon game beyond "use X type".

I said it before but yea if we go back to gyms in the next gen after this it's gonna be hugely disappointing step back.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

any tips for chaining S.O.S. fights for hidden abilities? I'm not sure how long I have to keep this silly streak up to have a good chance at getting a Steadfast rockruff

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

that ivy guy posted:

any tips for chaining S.O.S. fights for hidden abilities? I'm not sure how long I have to keep this silly streak up to have a good chance at getting a Steadfast rockruff

You'll have to have an "ability checker" of some kind. Like with Entrainment or Skill Swap.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

So i read earlier in the thread that some pokemon can only be caught when SOSed, is there a list somewhere? Or is it just one pokemon

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

A Spider Covets posted:

So i read earlier in the thread that some pokemon can only be caught when SOSed, is there a list somewhere? Or is it just one pokemon

Theres a few. Happiney/Chansey, Sableye, Castform, Espeon, Umbreon, Salamence, Goomy/Sliggoo, Mearinie are the big ones.

Obviously you can just evolve Espeon/Umbreon and 'Mence, but the other lines listed are SOS exclusive. Happiney/Chansey tend to come to the aid of baby pokemon, Sableye preys on Carbink and Mareanie eats Corsola. Goomy/Castform can only appear in certain areas when its raining in the overworld/has any weather respectively.

Zore fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Nov 21, 2016

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Zore posted:

Theres a few. Happiney/Chansey, Sableye, Castform, Espeon, Umbreon, Salamence, Goomy/Sliggoo, Mearinie are the big ones.

drat that's a list of mostly rad pokemon (idk who the last one is)

Ty for the quick reply!

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Zoo06 posted:

Leave the area and come back. Not just wander off, but go to a place where a new area loads. I did this while grinding for a Feebas at the entrance to the Water Trial. Seems that the same rocks always have bubbles on it. Hopefully you can find one next to a new screen...going inside a building may have the same effect, but I haven't tested it.

I was extremely lucky and got Feebas on the 2nd fishing spot ever, might try breeding some for people to save them the trouble. I figured out the corsola spawn was pretty easy to re-trigger near Kukui's house so I was able to get a couple mareani which seem to go pretty quick on GTS.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

A Spider Covets posted:

drat that's a list of mostly rad pokemon (idk who the last one is)

Ty for the quick reply!

Cool new Water/poison type http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Mareanie_(Pokémon)

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Woah

It looks like a rare imported fruit I would only find at Whole Foods.

I have another question actually. When I try the GTS all of my pokemon are grayed out when I try to trade them for something I'm looking for. Does this mean the other person filtered them out for what they'd trade their pokemon for, or do I need to progress more in the game to unlock it?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Zore posted:

Obviously you can just evolve Espeon/Umbreon and 'Mence, but the other lines listed are SOS exclusive. Happiney/Chansey tend to come to the aid of baby pokemon, Sableye preys on Carbink and Mareanie eats Corsola. Goomy/Castform can only appear in certain areas when its raining in the overworld/has any weather respectively.

Ugh are you serious? Is Sableye only available via SOS back on Ten Carat Hill, or do they appear again further down the line? Between this and Bagon I now have two Pokemon (that I know of) to catch back on that first island.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Ugh are you serious? Is Sableye only available via SOS back on Ten Carat Hill, or do they appear again further down the line? Between this and Bagon I now have two Pokemon (that I know of) to catch back on that first island.

It pops up again on island 4 to prey on more delicious Carbink.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Has anyone figured out how to make pyukumuku viable or am I gonna be stuck loving the design and concept but never able to have on team?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Evil Canadian posted:

So the big cool bug guy who evolves from Wimpod, the way I read the ability if he hits 50% or under he will auto switch out?

The funniest thing about this is that his ability does the same drat thing but it has a less embarrassing name, almost like he's trying to save face.

I was considering him strongly pre-release before I knew about his ability. Glad I heard about it before I caught one.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Neeksy posted:

Has anyone figured out how to make pyukumuku viable or am I gonna be stuck loving the design and concept but never able to have on team?

people are talking about it here

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/pyukumuku.3587290/

the ones ive seen on the ladder just go insane bulk with toxic and recover, and just stall forever. most use unaware but you can probably make something work with Pain Split and Innards Out but it'll be less reliable. definitely not a god tier mon but not awful

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I think for clothes colors you can buy in shops, Sun version has Red, Yellow, Pink, Orange, and Beige, and Moon has Green, Blue, Purple, Navy, and Grey.

Kind of interesting they made clothing colors a version difference.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i think i ran into thp on the ladder. thp if you see this i liked your nicknames

e: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-480250753

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Found a cyndaquil with island scan.
It's a female. :cool:
That'll be useful for trade fodder.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Blaziken386 posted:

Found a cyndaquil with island scan.
It's a female. :cool:
That'll be useful for trade fodder.

How does one Island scan? Cyndaquil is my favorite poke.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Countblanc posted:

people are talking about it here

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/pyukumuku.3587290/

the ones ive seen on the ladder just go insane bulk with toxic and recover, and just stall forever. most use unaware but you can probably make something work with Pain Split and Innards Out but it'll be less reliable. definitely not a god tier mon but not awful

In order to get unaware, do I have to chain SOS for a while?

cams
Mar 28, 2003

do i have to worry about accidently trading an item away over gts? should i unequip them beforehand?

are z crystals even tradeable?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Neeksy posted:

In order to get unaware, do I have to chain SOS for a while?

it's a hidden ability so i think so, yeah. or the poke-scanner thing i think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

JackDarko posted:

How does one Island scan? Cyndaquil is my favorite poke.
Use the QR scanner in the menu 10 times, then press the button. Only works once a day, and only generates specific pokes.
Here is a list of a poo poo ton of different QR codes, and here has a list of what pokemon appears depending on what day it is or what island you're on.
Assuming you live in california, you've got about an hour to get a cyndaquil. If not, you'll have to wait a week.