Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Grand Fromage posted:

Also start braking a lot earlier than you usually would and do it gradually. Do not slam on the brakes. Accelerate slowly. Basically drive like you're high as gently caress and everything around you is a cop.

This.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Chains are dumb but do check the tread, if the tires are too worn that's much worse in snow.

When you skid (you will skid) remain calm, keep in control. Pump the brakes until you get traction again. Don't jerk the wheel hard and make it worse. If you're not in danger of hitting anything/being hit, ride it out to a stop, take a deep breath, and continue.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Chains are dumb but do check the tread, if the tires are too worn that's much worse in snow.

When you skid (you will skid) remain calm, keep in control. Pump the brakes until you get traction again. Don't jerk the wheel hard and make it worse. If you're not in danger of hitting anything/being hit, ride it out to a stop, take a deep breath, and continue.

Do they not have ABS in Japan? If you have ABS, don't pump the brakes.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Guy Axlerod posted:

Do they not have ABS in Japan? If you have ABS, don't pump the brakes.

I don't know what ABS is but I never had a car built after the 80s.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
They do have ABS.

In any case, I checked the rules and winter tires should be enough to get past chain control. The rest is mostly straight forward :)

Lost Rivell
Jun 4, 2012
Question about flights, if anyone has experience with this: My girlfriend and I are planning on doing a ten day trip sometime in February.

We haven't booked anything yet, but our choices seem to be taking a direct flight from NYC to Narita or Haneda for around 1000 a person, or doing an hour stopover in Beijing for ~$600.

Neither one of us have international flight experience, so we'd like to know if the transfer in PEK is simple enough, or should we eat the extra cost and not deal with transfers at all?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
It's fine. Chinese airports are notorious but as long as it's the same itinerary you will get to Japan.

Just buy travel insurance and you get 800 dollars in your pocket. It's probably a lovely airline but who the gently caress cares because you guys won't travel enough to know the difference

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Take any flight that doesn't have a layover at O'Hare. There was a 2 hour clusterfuck TSA line last time I was there. Also I have never seen a clean bathroom at that airport.

Edit: the long TSA line layover was a flight I took returning to the US

hot sauce fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 19, 2016

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Lost Rivell posted:

Question about flights, if anyone has experience with this: My girlfriend and I are planning on doing a ten day trip sometime in February.

We haven't booked anything yet, but our choices seem to be taking a direct flight from NYC to Narita or Haneda for around 1000 a person, or doing an hour stopover in Beijing for ~$600.

Neither one of us have international flight experience, so we'd like to know if the transfer in PEK is simple enough, or should we eat the extra cost and not deal with transfers at all?

It's air china right? They suck but you get there, transfer isn't the end of the world. Worth it for 400 imo.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Chinese flights are often delayed, as Caberham said, only if all your flights are on the same airline so they'll take responsibility for gently caress-ups. I would just make sure you have enough time to make your transfer (and I think the on-arrival transit visa applies here.)

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009

Ned posted:

I was going to blame the situation on the goon who came to town on Monday.

But that area was under construction for a long rear end time. The mayor's response to the situation was pretty cool and I hope he moves up in the world of politics.

*put hands up* A bit late on my part it sure made for an even more interesting time in Fukuoka. Yeah I went dark and was only usin the wi-fi for getting around the past 2 weeks otherwise I'd have joined in with the FUKed talk.

Pretty funny to wake up to repeated footage of traffic lights disappearing down a hole in the morning tv to be folowed by noise of choppers outside before having the lightbulb moment out of my morning foggy haze of recognising the 7-11 store I walked past just yesterday slowly being swollowed up by the sinkhole.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
I'm thinking of going to Sapporo for 4 days first week December. Are there any non obvious must-do's and must-eat's you guys recommend? Will probably stick to a typical tourist course, but I like good food/drink and willing to consider an easy hike if I can fit it in.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Stumbling Block posted:

*put hands up* A bit late on my part it sure made for an even more interesting time in Fukuoka. Yeah I went dark and was only usin the wi-fi for getting around the past 2 weeks otherwise I'd have joined in with the FUKed talk.

Pretty funny to wake up to repeated footage of traffic lights disappearing down a hole in the morning tv to be folowed by noise of choppers outside before having the lightbulb moment out of my morning foggy haze of recognising the 7-11 store I walked past just yesterday slowly being swollowed up by the sinkhole.

Did you hit up any of the places I told you to go to? Hopefully you enjoyed your time in town.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009
Absolutely. I didn't end up going to the castle ruins area as it was already getting late into the day by that time but it was great fun, so there's something for next time I'm in town lined up.

And Mami-chan is a treat. Holy crap did they pile in the food and was sharing it all round when we were there.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Is there any way to transition from being a dirty English teacher to being a "real" (certified, accredited, whatever) teacher in Japan? I've spent the last five and a half years teaching English to kids and adults in Taiwan and now I'm seriously considering moving to Japan, but while I like teaching I'd prefer not to just be stuck teaching English forever.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

so uhhhh what do you want to teach instead

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

History, government, I guess what would be considered general social studies; that sort of thing. I'll be honest I've only done some basic research into how to actually become a teacher; in the U.S. every state has different requirements but I do know you need to take a general teaching course and then take different tests to be certified to teach a subject. I'm just curious if there's any possible way to go down that path without having to return to the U.S., since I refuse to step one foot in Trump's America.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Those sorts of jobs exist in the PRC for the moment, though I expect them to vanish. I'm teaching history at an international high school currently.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Those sorts of jobs exist in the PRC for the moment, though I expect them to vanish. I'm teaching history at an international high school currently.

And are you a certified history teacher, or just a loser with a useless liberal arts degree like myself?

EDIT: I guess I might be making some assumptions that things that are true in Taiwan are also true in Japan. Here you see lots of job listings for your typical cram schools/business training places, but then others for international/private schools that state you need to be a certified teacher. Those jobs tend to have a lot higher pay and benefits. Is this not the case in Japan?

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Nov 21, 2016

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I have a history degree and teaching experience, so they hired me to teach the histories (and also science during the time when history was banned). Actual certification opens up the highest paying jobs at official international high schools.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Lost Rivell posted:

Absolutely make sure that your layover is long enough. I can't speak to Beijing, but my wife had a two-hour layover at Shanghai Pudong. Two hours is absolutely a sensible amount of time for any transfer to happen at any sensible airport in any sensible country in the world, so naturally she missed the flight. Her plane landed, then taxied to the furthest spot on the tarmac and waited for a bus to collect all the passengers, which took more than one trip. It took forever for the baggage to get loaded, all the other passengers were wildly shoving to get on the first bus, and then she had to go through customs and collect all her baggage. By the time she arrived in the terminal proper, an hour had passed. The woman at the United desk told her, curtly, that they stop check-ins for flights 60 minutes before takeoff, so she wouldn't be allowed to the gate, and then she turned and walked away, leaving my wife helpless. It took hours before other United staffers actually started their shift and helped her find another way home, which ended up being the same flight the next day. She spent 24 hours in the terminal, with all her luggage, sleeping on benches.

Is there any itinerary you can make that gets you cheap flights and longer than an hour to make the transfer?

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

You spend a couple years, in the US, getting certified, and then a couple more years getting experience so you can apply for the international schools in Japan. And by then it's Kanye's America.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

ALFbrot posted:

Absolutely make sure that your layover is long enough. I can't speak to Beijing, but my wife had a two-hour layover at Shanghai Pudong. Two hours is absolutely a sensible amount of time for any transfer to happen at any sensible airport in any sensible country in the world, so naturally she missed the flight. Her plane landed, then taxied to the furthest spot on the tarmac and waited for a bus to collect all the passengers, which took more than one trip. It took forever for the baggage to get loaded, all the other passengers were wildly shoving to get on the first bus, and then she had to go through customs and collect all her baggage. By the time she arrived in the terminal proper, an hour had passed. The woman at the United desk told her, curtly, that they stop check-ins for flights 60 minutes before takeoff, so she wouldn't be allowed to the gate, and then she turned and walked away, leaving my wife helpless. It took hours before other United staffers actually started their shift and helped her find another way home, which ended up being the same flight the next day. She spent 24 hours in the terminal, with all her luggage, sleeping on benches.

Is there any itinerary you can make that gets you cheap flights and longer than an hour to make the transfer?

Yeahhhh, I didn't miss my flight or anything in Pudong; however, I wasn't impressed and wanted to get the fuckkkk out of China as soon as possible. All of the cheap flights route through Peking or Shanghai, and it's well worth a $100 premium to avoid Chinese immigration.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

they will still be around but you won't want them in a few years

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I forget if I asked this but if a restaurant says "hotel concierge reservations only" is that basically code for Japanese speaking callers only? You think I could just get a Japanese speaker to call and pretend to be from a hotel? The place I'm staying says they won't make reservations for you until after you check in and that's way too late.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Maybe it's possible to have the hotel make the reservation for you now and then confirm the reservation when you check-in?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah I'm still trying to talk them into it, just checking other options.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
I assume it's a little Michelin starred place? They don't want people reserving from abroad and then not showing up and blowing their revenue for the night. A legit luxury hotel will take care of it for you. Failing that you need a local contact.

Lost Rivell
Jun 4, 2012

ALFbrot posted:

Strangely enough, no. Not without 9-15 hour layovers in various Chinese airports. I mean, this trip is somewhere in the Nebulous Future this year, so we could manage to snag miracle direct flight tickets, or I could coach my stress-prone girlfriend through the apparent hellscape that is Chinese immigration.

Thank you all for your feedback and advice, it's a lot to consider.

MoofOntario
Jan 10, 2007

To Maintain the System the Abusive Power is Sometimes Necessary
-Pappa Brittle

Lost Rivell posted:

Strangely enough, no. Not without 9-15 hour layovers in various Chinese airports. I mean, this trip is somewhere in the Nebulous Future this year, so we could manage to snag miracle direct flight tickets, or I could coach my stress-prone girlfriend through the apparent hellscape that is Chinese immigration.

Thank you all for your feedback and advice, it's a lot to consider.

When I flew to Taipei through Shanghai Pudong (On China Eastern if that matters), I didn't even have to clear immigration/customs. As soon as you get off the plane, there is a special hallway for transfers. I had to show them my airplane ticket and they let me through. They even transferred my bag for me. I don't know about Beijing but I imagine its similar? I think my layover ended up being about 3 hours.

I was mildly concerned as I didn't still have a Chinese visa (yes, there is some special thing where you can visit certain cities for a number of days without a visa, but I didn't want to have to try to deal with it - and thankfully I didn't have to)

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

MoofOntario posted:

When I flew to Taipei through Shanghai Pudong (On China Eastern if that matters), I didn't even have to clear immigration/customs. As soon as you get off the plane, there is a special hallway for transfers. I had to show them my airplane ticket and they let me through. They even transferred my bag for me. I don't know about Beijing but I imagine its similar? I think my layover ended up being about 3 hours.

I was mildly concerned as I didn't still have a Chinese visa (yes, there is some special thing where you can visit certain cities for a number of days without a visa, but I didn't want to have to try to deal with it - and thankfully I didn't have to)

Beijing made me go through customs and security for a transfer. Shanghai on China Eastern didn't. Beijing was pretty slow and lovely and mainland af and China air sucks balls.

But it's also cheap so whatever.

LimburgLimbo fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 23, 2016

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah I'm still trying to talk them into it, just checking other options.

Hit me up I'll call for you.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Dokdo is Korea, and also a turd-stained worthless rock.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
But you repeat yourself.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
peepee dokdo it is a bad country

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Stringent posted:

Hit me up I'll call for you.

Thanks for the offer. They finally agreed to do it since I was nice so I think we're cool, but if they go back on it for some reason I'll PM.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

LimburgLimbo posted:

Beijing made me go through customs and security for a transfer. Shanghai on China Eastern didn't. Beijing was pretty slow and lovely and mainland af and China air sucks balls.

But it's also cheap so whatever.

Yeah, maybe it's a domestic vs. foreign carrier thing. My wife's disaster occurred while trying to connect on a United flight. Maybe if it's a Chinese carrier you don't have to pass back through customs?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Thanks for the offer. They finally agreed to do it since I was nice so I think we're cool, but if they go back on it for some reason I'll PM.

I am also available for you Japanese language needs and am more young and vivacious than Stringent

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

LimburgLimbo posted:

I am also available for you Japanese language needs and am more young and vivacious than Stringent

Stringent is way more reliable though :greenangel:

Just saying.

But thanks for recommending and booking nabezo. Goon meat was fun. When are you back in Tokyo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Also if any Tokyo goons want to go to some all you can drink thing on a weekday that would be fun. I'll be there Feb 6-10. I will bring snax from Sichuan (have to check if Tibetan yak jerky is allowed through customs).