Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Thor-Stryker posted:

Hope for Sarcastic-Ryder has increased, because Sarcastic-Hawke that was the only good thing about Dragon Age 2.

Sarcastic Hawke is overrated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

SgtSteel91 posted:

Sarcastic Hawke is overrated.

:colbert:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I wonder how long dialogue options are going to be limited to the number of face buttons on a controller.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Nah man, you've got stockholm syndrome or whatever. DA2 was SO loving POORLY DONE that anything in that game that's not literally poo poo dribbling down your leg will seem fun or even enjoyable by comparison.

And looking back, you only THINK you remember liking it.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Overall I am "optimistic" about this game, I always liked the exploring the frontier feel alot of the first game in the series that got bogged down in two with action being more focused on dealing with criminals and terrorist organizations, then three being wrapped up in a ragnarok scenario, against the Reapers who were way less dangerous and interesting the more you learned about them.

I always felt Bioware wrote themselves a bit into a corner by building an interesting and vibrant setting, but having a doomsday clock ticking down that would destroy it. Plus beating the Reapers seemed really contrived and I liked the idea of just cutting and running which is pretty much the plot of Andromeda.

I probably will buy this game especially since Inquisition was much better than DA2 and ME3 in my book.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Drifter posted:

Nah man, you've got stockholm syndrome or whatever. DA2 was SO loving POORLY DONE that anything in that game that's not literally poo poo dribbling down your leg will seem fun or even enjoyable by comparison.

Reminder that kotor started with a space battle, dragon age origins started with six extensive prologues, mass effect 1 had a star trek distress signal mystery, and mass effect 2 had the exploding Normandy. Meanwhile dragon age 2 starts with you fighting puddies on poo poo mountain

Erika
Feb 6, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Nice, I thought Alpha Protocol had the best system because you had to change how you talk depending who you're conversing with.

Like there were characters that respect a professional tone, others who find it boring. And choosing the right option gave you 'loyalty points' with the person iirc.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They should just give you multiple voice options like in origins. "Warden Sense is tingling!"

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Little Bitch Man posted:

Nice, I thought Alpha Protocol had the best system because you had to change how you talk depending who you're conversing with.

Like there were characters that respect a professional tone, others who find it boring. And choosing the right option gave you 'loyalty points' with the person iirc.

Alpha Protocol unironically had the best dialogue system in a videogame. Its too bad it was tied to a below average spy/shooter mission system.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
Hatefucking people in Dragon Age 2 was pretty cool. I hope thats possible in Andromeda.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Drifter posted:

The rivalry thing was the best companion mechanic, because now you didn't need to suck a character's dick to get the most out of them/prevent them from betraying or abandoning you/etc.

It's also nice that Hawke just wanted to survive and wasn't the big prophesied or destined hero.

Other than that, the game was one of the most poorly done major games I've ever played, and despite the few good ideas, I never replayed it.

Alain Post posted:

It's clearly the best Bioware game ever, and is the best game in the series by virtually every metric except for Mass Effect 3 having more + cooler guns in it.

ME:A is going to be trash so I'm just going to buy it as a dating simulator.

Baldur's Gate 2 is still better than ME2. :colbert:

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Little Bitch Man posted:

You could get it wrong on purpose and making them hate you also had its benefits sometimes.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Torrannor posted:

The rivalry thing was the best companion mechanic, because now you didn't need to suck a character's dick to get the most out of them/prevent them from betraying or abandoning you/etc.
My biggest problem with Dragon Age 2's approval meter was that it also came with the exact same paragon/renegade downside of requiring the player to fully commit to either "you're literally flawless!" or "you are so wrong about everything all of the time that I'm honestly shocked you can breathe without finding a way to gently caress that up somehow".

The only companion that I ever managed to max out rivalry with was Anders, because he made it so easy to disagree 90+% of the time. :v:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Alpha Protocol's dialogue system was cool because literally the first or second conversation you have, your boss explains that Thorton will want to cloak his true intentions and only say what he thinks someone will want to hear in his role as a superspy and yet people still complained about how their Thorton wasn't 'consistent' and seemed like a self-interested sociopath.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

Dan Didio posted:

Alpha Protocol's dialogue system was cool because literally the first or second conversation you have, your boss explains that Thorton will want to cloak his true intentions and only say what he thinks someone will want to hear in his role as a superspy and yet people still complained about how their Thorton wasn't 'consistent' and seemed like a self-interested sociopath.

Not that I agree with that sentiment, buuut https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUydx57te9s - Mike Thornton's Greatest Hits

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
It also played with that conceit in interesting ways; like if you tried to deliberately piss Marburg off, but acted differently outside of that, he'd know because he's, y'know, also a superspy, and it wouldn't work on goading him into facing off with you.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Reclaimer posted:

Not that I agree with that sentiment, buuut https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUydx57te9s - Mike Thornton's Greatest Hits

Obsidian should do a Telltale-style game. Or should have tried when it still had the resources.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Drifter posted:

This. The "funny, snarky" Hawke conversation options were literally the only good part of that game and again, only by comparison to the rest of it.

DA:2 was a dumpster fire filled with old tires and medical waste. They're welcome to pinch the good bits of game design from DA:I and re-use them in ME:A though, so long as they sort out the pacing issues.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Dan Didio posted:

I really liked the Recruit/Veteran options you'd get on your first and repeat playthroughs respectively.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Start out with Recruit packs until you max out the cheap guns. That way, you aren't wasting tons of spacebux on common weapons. After that, you can buy whatever.

You don't get the rare weapons/kits from Recruit Packs, and obviously those are the ones you want, but they're waaaaay cheaper than the others.

They also murdered an admiral who found out about their dumb experiments.

They're responsible for the Sole Survivor background too iirc. I don't think you can ever bring it up in 2 if you took it in 1.

e: Wait with that Alpha Protocol video Mina's a spy? I never realized that in three playthroughs.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Nov 21, 2016

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

They're responsible for the Sole Survivor background too iirc. I don't think you can ever bring it up in 2 if you took it in 1.

e: Wait with that Alpha Protocol video Mina's a spy? I never realized that in three playthroughs.

I'm pretty sure the only person who's not at least a double agent in AP is like, Steven.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Okay, dragon age 2 did have the murder knife so it has that going for it.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah ME2 was frustrating in that regard. DA1 was nice because depending on race and class you were treated differently, in mass effect outside of 1 being a biotic is never mentioned, and what your background is barely comes up.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Alain Post posted:

Same, except for turians.

same except for the Normandy

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Drifter posted:

The flak for DA2 is so over the top. It was a bad dragon age game but I didn't feel robbed of my monies after playing it. It had a lot of fun dialogue. Maybe I couldn't get on the hate bandwagon because I personally thought DA1 was a super flawed game as well

disclaimer: I did play as sarcastic femhawke and it was good. It was the closest I got to playing a completely disinterested rear end in a top hat in a Hero rpg who just makes fun of the grimdark villain all the time. I mean just listen to how god drat smug she is constantly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b56ZQErYky0

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Zzulu posted:

The flak for DA2 is so over the top. It was a bad dragon age game but I didn't feel robbed of my monies after playing it. It had a lot of fun dialogue. Maybe I couldn't get on the hate bandwagon because I personally thought DA1 was a super flawed game as well

no actually DA2 was really really bad (REALLY bad)

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

I am pretty sure Heck straight up works for Halbech too. Which is why he never questions you just appearing or working with Scarlet since he is just as in on it all in Taipei.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
DA2 was bad, but I can't hate wisecracking dwarf, your lovable companion.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
The only thing I really liked about sarcastic Hawke were the NPCs going " what is wrong with you" when you'd make a lame wisecrack in a completely inappropriate situation

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Dr. Abysmal posted:

The only thing I really liked about sarcastic Hawke were the NPCs going " what is wrong with you" when you'd make a lame wisecrack in a completely inappropriate situation

Same, except with me at the Holocaust Museum c. 1998.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I suspect people who think DA2 was incredibly bad have not played many incredibly bad games -- maybe because they're young, or because they have been lucky. DA2 recycled environments like it was programmed by Greenpeace, but it told a "smaller" story that wasn't about saving the world AGAIN and had fun dialogue. And the combat was less mage-broken than DA1.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

That was the best part of Alpha Protocol, too. You could try to hit on the cute reporter sitting next to you on the plane with a bunch of cheesy "suave" remarks and instead of looking like James Bond, she immediately wants to switch seats.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I did not like DA:O's gameplay at all but the rest of it was fun and good. I liked DA2's gameplay more than O's and for the most part enjoyed the dumb plot. I thought DA:I was great except the trash multiplayer. Well those are my thoughts on that franchise cya

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

homullus posted:

I suspect people who think DA2 was incredibly bad have not played many incredibly bad games -- maybe because they're young, or because they have been lucky. DA2 recycled environments like it was programmed by Greenpeace, but it told a "smaller" story that wasn't about saving the world AGAIN and had fun dialogue. And the combat was less mage-broken than DA1.

Nobody disliked the story in DA2 because of the scale. They disliked it because it sucked and the writing was terrible.

I'm all for smaller scale stories instead of SAVE THE WORLD AGAIN. But just being fresh didn't make it good. It was fresh and bad.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
DA2's's writing had potential (everything in DA2 "had potential") but christ, it sometimes came across as none of the writers knew that "mage" was actually a playable class.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
you revisionist history "dragon age 2 wasnt that bad" freaks disgust me to my gay core

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

Zzulu posted:

disclaimer: I did play as sarcastic femhawke and it was good. It was the closest I got to playing a completely disinterested rear end in a top hat in a Hero rpg who just makes fun of the grimdark villain all the time. I mean just listen to how god drat smug she is constantly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b56ZQErYky0

Agreed with all of this. The gameplay wasn't good tho (But could prolly say that about the whole series)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Moola posted:

you revisionist history "dragon age 2 wasnt that bad" freaks disgust me to my gay core

DA2 is maybe the only game that makes me feel profound embarrassment for the person who had to play it just to put up a youtube link to a scene or w/e.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

exquisite tea posted:

DA2 is maybe the only game that makes me feel profound embarrassment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Moola posted:

Hey now, I've liked DA 2 since its release.

You can impugn my taste, but at least I'm consistent!

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 21, 2016