Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

White Dog Eggs posted:

Genuine Rickenbackers have these super thin necks that are just gross. Only met one guy who liked them and he had these creepy baby hands.

You talkin' poo poo about Lemmy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

White Dog Eggs posted:

Genuine Rickenbackers have these super thin necks that are just gross. Only met one guy who liked them and he had these creepy baby hands.

I didn't know Trump played bass.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I thought it was just the guitars that had the skinny necks, is it basses too? I only know the thick neck chicken.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Snowy posted:

I thought it was just the guitars that had the skinny necks, is it basses too? I only know the thick neck chicken.

Honestly I have never had a Rickenbacker bass in my hands so I don't know. I think they have skinny necks for a bass though, probably depends on the year.

I haven't really been online too much so here's an update for those who remember. I was building a frying pan tenor guitar for fellow goon BigHustle. Annoyingly after several weird problems due to the reclaimed wood I used for the neck and front (the neck wood warped like mad and the front was impregnated with some weird turn-of-the-century varnish that would not gently caress off) I had to refund his money as the poor bastard had been waiting ages :(. Bit bummed out that I couldn't pull it off but at least he got his money back.

I currently have a fairly decent 'proper' job so the guitar stuff has been relegated to repair work and doing custom wiring (so many varitones.....). I have, however been playing around with AutoCAD and I've got a few diagrams that are dangerously close to being finished (mostly based on the weirder 60's stuff). I could share some of them here if there is any interest.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Apple || guitar. Literal pussy magnet.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Older Ric basses have the thin necks which are probably cool since I'm used to Wizard guitar necks, but I hear the modern ones are more average.

I'll ask in here too: if anyone's tried both, would you pick a Darkglass b7k or two notes le bass

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Does anybody make a neck that's got a radius like a Wizard but a scale length more on the order of an SG?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

tacodaemon posted:

Does anybody make a neck that's got a radius like a Wizard but a scale length more on the order of an SG?

do you mean the fretboard radius or the actual neck?

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

muike posted:

do you mean the fretboard radius or the actual neck?

You're right, I did muddle the terminology due to being an idiot. I meant the thickness of the neck in general.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Ah ok. Yeah there's been some with Gibson scale lengths over the years, as well as some Jackson and ESP models that have thinner necks. Like the MV: https://reverb.com/item/2158583-esp-mv-200-ltd-trans-orange

ready to do some cross referencing????

http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_neck_types

muike fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Nov 14, 2016

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

White Dog Eggs posted:

Apple || guitar. Literal pussy magnet.

and then the Bee Gees took it out on stage:

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

White Dog Eggs posted:

Silence, heathen. Rickenbacker necks are awesome and I've got creepy long spider hands.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Speaking of weird necks, I have been playing my Jaguar way more than all my other guitars lately. I really dig the 24" scale neck.

Are there other guitars out there besides Jaguar/Mustang's with 24" scale necks?

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

strangemusic posted:

Silence, heathen. Rickenbacker necks are awesome and I've got creepy long spider hands.

More like creeply WRONG spider hands :colbert:

Dirt posted:

Speaking of weird necks, I have been playing my Jaguar way more than all my other guitars lately. I really dig the 24" scale neck.

Are there other guitars out there besides Jaguar/Mustang's with 24" scale necks?

The Eastwood reissue of the Gemini Wurltizer comes to mind. They've stopped making them but a few pop up on ebay from time to time. I really want one.

Barnaby Rudge fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 14, 2016

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

White Dog Eggs posted:

The Eastwood reissue of the Gemini Wurltizer comes to mind. They've stopped making them but a few pop up on ebay from time to time. I really want one.

a little surprised st vincent hasn't bought up every last one

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Oh poo poo I just noticed this got moved here.

I made some songs in the past few months, mostly just jokes that I ran with and put effort into.

An idea with replacing vocals in a song with audio samples from a tv show

What happens when I try to play as slow as possible

How to respond to an email asking if I want to dress up for a holiday party

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I know it's not really your focus, but I enjoyed those drums - EzDrummer? I'm thinking of upgrading from PowerDrum MT...

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I bought a guitar and it's not an Ibanez.

It's a MIM Standard Telecaster, in my favorite finish, and I spent stupid money on the pickups and case (the guitar was quite reasonable.)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2212134&pagenumber=511#post466508380

:v:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Southern Heel posted:

I know it's not really your focus, but I enjoyed those drums - EzDrummer? I'm thinking of upgrading from PowerDrum MT...

Superior Drummer but it's like the same thing but with more settings to not know about. And thank you, I take some time and try to put some effort into the drums to make them at least not sound copy/pasted.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Dr. Faustus posted:

I bought a guitar and it's not an Ibanez.

It's a MIM Standard Telecaster, in my favorite finish, and I spent stupid money on the pickups and case (the guitar was quite reasonable.)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2212134&pagenumber=511#post466508380

:v:

Who are you and where is the real Faustus?

I keep seeing this white Jem for sale on a local FB group but I don't have the cash for it.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.
Digging the description on this guitar.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ele...%3D162282557730

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

My sister got me season 2 of Danger 5 for my birthday. I finally got round to watching it today and was treated to this thing, Zombie Hitler's SS guitar, "Rock Wolf".

muike posted:

He's had other designs over time. THe disappearing pyramids on the Universe are actually cool.

I always preferred the neon 80's disappearing pyramids. :)

kjetting posted:

A hardtail JEM would be kick rear end, but then it wouldn't look as douchey and I'd lose interest.

Yeah, about that...

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

NonzeroCircle posted:

Who are you and where is the real Faustus?

I keep seeing this white Jem for sale on a local FB group but I don't have the cash for it.
I'm exploring a whole new realm of guitar. I'd kill a man for a new white JEM, though.

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

I always preferred the neon 80's disappearing pyramids. :)

I've always liked those, too. If only I had a real JEM777, the limited run that were all signed and had the hand-rest for the trem. Not in this lifetime. I'll settle for my 77FP. :)
But I haven't played anything but my new Talman, my old Strat-style, and my new Tele since April. Everything else is in cases or under towels to keep the dust off.
The Talman and the Tele are kinda like cousins, I guess. So... yeah.
(I took a new pic because the old pic didn't have the Tele mods.)

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Nov 17, 2016

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Snowy posted:

Love my crappy sparkle green chickenbacker. Congrats on the fun bad decision.

hey dude by the way did you ever replace the tuners on yours? i was wondering if you know which ones will retrofit

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Dr. Faustus posted:

I'm exploring a whole new realm of guitar. I'd kill a man for a new white JEM, though.

I've always liked those, too. If only I had a real JEM777, the limited run that were all signed and had the hand-rest for the trem. Not in this lifetime. I'll settle for my 77FP. :)
But I haven't played anything but my new Talman, my old Strat-style, and my new Tele since April. Everything else is in cases or under towels to keep the dust off.
The Talman and the Tele are kinda like cousins, I guess. So... yeah.
(I took a new pic because the old pic didn't have the Tele mods.)

Ibanez came out with a cheap version of the Prestige Talman with the three pickups + nashville wiring and it's the same price as the two pickup and I am so pissed about it.

I guess I could get one and swap the Nordstrands out of my 302M but bleh.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Ibanez came out with a cheap version of the Prestige Talman with the three pickups + nashville wiring and it's the same price as the two pickup and I am so pissed about it.

I guess I could get one and swap the Nordstrands out of my 302M but bleh.

I want that so loving bad, but the 41mm nut is a major league deal breaker

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

TheChaosPath posted:

I want that so loving bad, but the 41mm nut is a major league deal breaker

Have you played one? I've played RG/RGA's for the last decade-plus and my 302M feels like the perfect blend between an old Tele, a familiar feeling Ibanez, and a MusicMan Axis.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Have you played one? I've played RG/RGA's for the last decade-plus and my 302M feels like the perfect blend between an old Tele, a familiar feeling Ibanez, and a MusicMan Axis.

Well, here's the thing - my fingers more or less don't taper at all toward the end so in spite of not actually being fat I can't really play anything under 1 11/16" without a shitshow of muted strings

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2016/11/09/steve-vai-defends-lead-guitar-face-it-s-entertaining-it-s-interesting-it-s-engaged.html

gauntlet thrown

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Gauntlet taken: Faust Post!

quote:

"There’s various generations and I’m probably two generations removed now, back in the 80s, so there’s this new generation of young guitar players that are really doing remarkable things."

And Vai's heroes?

“Jimmy Page from Led Zeppelin and Brian May from Queen, and guys like Ritchie Blackmore," Vai said. "All the rock guitar players of the 70s.”

And of course Frank Zappa, who got Vai his start in music when he was just a teenager.

“Frank was always completely present in the moment and constantly creating," he said. “I was 18 when I started working for him and then I joined the band when I was 20 and, you know, that’s a very impressionable age. And Frank was Frank, and one of the most remarkable things I noticed was when Frank got a creative idea about something he just did it. He stayed right with it. He never expected anybody to do it for him, and he never made excuses.”

For more information on Steve Vai, the Passion and Warfare 25th Anniversary World Tour, and current Vai happenings, visit https://www.vai.com.
Fact is, I like his Ibanez guitars and his acting/performance in Crossroads more than I like his music. But here, I will always be that Vai guy; and ok, whatever.

He's cool, in the way that old dudes with serious musical history can be cool. Hi, I'm Dr. Faustus.

P.S. - I had a chance to go to the Passion & Warfare 25th show here in Charlotte, and I passed. That album was good for the time, but it hasn't aged well. Neither have I. I was simply not interested, though the ticket prices were reasonable. I just like JEMs.

P.P.S. - Is this the guitar he's holding in the article? :)

Neck looks like maple fret-board in the article; so I suppose not. O well.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Nov 21, 2016

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
How's that tele treating you, Faustus? I'd honestly love to see your obsessive (no offense intended) review on it since they are such different beasts than your usual.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
no pics but here's some stupid music poo poo: rickenbacker can't even put their own pickup assemblies together straight

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

pointlessone posted:

How's that tele treating you, Faustus? I'd honestly love to see your obsessive (no offense intended) review on it since they are such different beasts than your usual.
None taken. I know I am verbose, especially when it's a subject I love.

It started with the Talman reissue. I had become fascinated by Danny Gatton's blend of rockabilly styles. It's an area I've never explored because the right-hand techniques are a steep learning curve and way out of my area. I knew I needed to try a T-type but wasn't ready to buy a Fender.

I bought the Talman TM302M-TFB and tricked it out with expensive Joe Barden Danny Gatton pickups and discovered that i really enjoyed the tone and loved the fit and finish of the instrument. 12" radius is nice. It became the only guitar I played.
Nowadays I play mostly clean through a little Yamaha THR-10 with a Fulltone OCD (volume up, but no drive), a Fulltone MDV-3, a tc electronic Flashback X4 and a tc Corona Chorus. And I have a blast. The Talman sounds amazing with the Bardens in it. it re-ignited my passion for guitar. I started downloading YouTube vids and everything I could get my digital hands on from Danny Gatton. It's daunting, to say the least.

I was browsing around and saw this MIM Standard Telecaster and decided, "Ok, it's time to try the real thing." I was afraid of the 9.5" radius. But the guitar was $600 and I could pay it in installments with no interest (zZounds "play as you pay" plan).

When I got it, I wasn't too impressed with how it played until I put my DR Tite-Fit JH-10s on it. Suddenly I saw the light. I put the graph-tech saddles on it and bought the Fralins, reversed the controls and changed out the pots, adding the tone pot wah mod. I think any Tele fan would play it and think it's spot-on. A real monster.

I have found that the frets are leveled so well that I can get decently low action and still do a two-whole-step bend on the high E string at the 17th fret without the note fretting out. The neck doesn't buzz. The electronics sound vintage and amazing, and more unforgiving even than the Bardens. I love my Talman, but this little MIM Fender has stolen my heart. There are details. It's mostly just a faithful Fender Telecaster but with a few tweaks, e.g. the lacquer on the neck. It's thick and shiny on the front, but subtle and almost satin on the back. It has individual saddles instead of barrels (some would say that's a bad thing. I am reserving judgement for now.) Other than that, it has my favorite finish on it (another Tri-fade tobacco sunburst) and I'm fine with the three-ply white pickguard. For whatever reason I prefer rosewood or ebony fretboards but I have more maple fretboards; and I'm cool with that, too, I like the way they age.
I think it's beautiful. It think it plays great and sounds greater and has that real vintage vibe.

My Dad, who plays and has an amazing collection of instruments, considers it "spectacular."

I agree.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

So if VINTAGE NOS CLEAN BURNING TUBE COOKED GOLD PLATED 1950s tone dadding is the stupidest music poo poo then what is good and pure in the industry?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
http://www.parkerguitars.com/

izagoof
Feb 14, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I had a garbage 2000 MIM tele that I could never get to play the way I wanted, although it's probably because I had no idea what the hell I was doing. Now the redneck in me wants a b-bender tele.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I don't mind telecasters, but they have the same kind of problem Les Pauls have, at least to me. They are ergonomically meh. The contours on the Strat shave weight and in general make it contour better to your body, fatass or not. It is why I like the SG a lot more than LPs, because the SG can get a similar sound while being a million times more practical. Also double cutaways just make a lot more sense if you play beyond the 12th fret, on my Agile LP copy it just frustrates me to no end.

Teles still hold their niche better because Teles just sound like Teles, well the single coil ones at least. I have a humbucker tele I got for cheap ironically, and it just makes no sense.

unlawfulsoup fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Nov 22, 2016

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Kilometers Davis posted:

So if VINTAGE NOS CLEAN BURNING TUBE COOKED GOLD PLATED 1950s tone dadding is the stupidest music poo poo then what is good and pure in the industry?

Line 6 Spider bedroom amps
Behringer pedals
Encore Strat rip-offs

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
i wanna make a boutique high gain pedal (read: metal zone knockoff) that has zero midrange and no way to add any

already got the art figured out: a bunch of bees in a folgers can

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Bees have quite a fat midsection, get yourself some tonewasps

• Locked thread