Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Is this a sign that the two-state solution is going from "slowly evaporating" to "circling the drain"?
For all intents and purposes it was dead already. This is basically lowering the coffin and then shoveling the dirt on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Grouchio posted:

How is it his worst decision?

Well firstly I meant appointment, sorry. Decisions as a whole is probably more arguable.

But I know more about Huckabee than Bannon or Flynn and I can guess what an Israeli diplomat does better than, say, Chief Strategist. Obama's trying to be vaguely more critical of Israel will all be reversed and now we have a diplomat who will kiss their asses and bless them no matter what they do.

That's why I thought it was the worst appointment. I might very well be wrong with the Islamophobe being National Security Adviser....

I dunno, it's goddam Trump. I can't keep up with all the bad decisions and their ramifications.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

Well firstly I meant appointment, sorry. Decisions as a whole is probably more arguable.

But I know more about Huckabee than Bannon or Flynn and I can guess what an Israeli diplomat does better than, say, Chief Strategist. Obama's trying to be vaguely more critical of Israel will all be reversed and now we have a diplomat who will kiss their asses and bless them no matter what they do.

That's why I thought it was the worst appointment. I might very well be wrong with the Islamophobe being National Security Adviser....

I dunno, it's goddam Trump. I can't keep up with all the bad decisions and their ramifications.
Ramifications? You mean an increased amount of terrorism against the US for being absolute dickheads, especially if we go to war with Iran?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Grouchio posted:

Ramifications? You mean an increased amount of terrorism against the US for being absolute dickheads, especially if we go to war with Iran?

Well that's one possibility. I'm hoping that doesn't happen, obviously. I was more worried about what our government would do to us and immigrants than what other nations' citizens might do to us because our actions.

But my one great hope for President Trump was that he'd be surrounded by reasonable people who could keep him from getting us involved in any conflicts. That was a very vain hope I'm seeing now.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

trump is rewarding his cronies who supported him with their dream jobs. he probably doesn't give a poo poo about any of these issues and wants to just trump around as the big shot while peons like huckabee try to annex Bethlehem to be a territory of Arkansas and noted racist clan sympathizer jeff sessions is attorney general.

when he cares about something on a whim or due to backlash they'll have to do his wacky thing but under the radar a lot of people will have all the keys to all their favorite toys.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Mike "THE IRAN DEAL IS LIKE SHOVING JEWS INTO OVENS AGAIN" Huckabee is seriously going to be ambassador to israel? Is this real loving life or a john carpenter movie.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

http://www.timesofisrael.com/huckabee-denies-being-tapped-as-trumps-israel-envoy/

Huckabee denies it.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

This doesn't mean he's for sure not the ambassador but I'm just grateful for this brief window where I can go back to being in denial about Huckabee being the ambassador.

Watch in a week we get US - Israeli ambassador Ted Cruz.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

DrProsek posted:

This doesn't mean he's for sure not the ambassador but I'm just grateful for this brief window where I can go back to being in denial about Huckabee being the ambassador.

Watch in a week we get US - Israeli ambassador Ted Cruz.
That would be great because we can basically just ignore him instead of having him whining and grandstanding on the Senate floor

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

FlamingLiberal posted:

That would be great because we can basically just ignore him instead of having him whining and grandstanding on the Senate floor

Honestly as bad as that'd be for Palestine (and probably Israel too, since a terrible US-Israeli ambassador means a generally less competent US Middle Eastern policy overall), it probably wouldn't be better under any other ambassador and at least we'd get that silver lining. Suddenly I'm all for Ambassador Cruz.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth
I missed this in the news overload, but the child hunting season seems to still be open.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2005/nov/16/israel2

quote:

An Israeli army officer who fired the entire magazine of his automatic rifle into a 13-year-old Palestinian girl and then said he would have done the same even if she had been three years old was acquitted on all charges by a military court yesterday.

The soldier, who has only been identified as "Captain R", was charged with relatively minor offences for the killing of Iman al-Hams who was shot 17 times as she ventured near an Israeli army post near Rafah refugee camp in Gaza a year ago.

The manner of Iman's killing, and the revelation of a tape recording in which the captain is warned that she was just a child who was "scared to death", made the shooting one of the most controversial since the Palestinian intifada erupted five years ago even though hundreds of other children have also died.

After the verdict, Iman's father, Samir al-Hams, said the army never intended to hold the soldier accountable.

"They did not charge him with Iman's murder, only with small offences, and now they say he is innocent of those even though he shot my daughter so many times," he said. "This was the cold-blooded murder of a girl. The soldier murdered her once and the court has murdered her again. What is the message? They are telling their soldiers to kill Palestinian children."

The military court cleared the soldier of illegal use of his weapon, conduct unbecoming an officer and perverting the course of justice by asking soldiers under his command to alter their accounts of the incident.

Capt R's lawyers argued that the "confirmation of the kill" after a suspect is shot was a standard Israeli military practice to eliminate terrorist threats.

Following the verdict, Capt R burst into tears, turned to the public benches and said: "I told you I was innocent."

The army's official account said that Iman was shot for crossing into a security zone carrying her schoolbag which soldiers feared might contain a bomb. It is still not known why the girl ventured into the area but witnesses described her as at least 100 yards from the military post which was in any case well protected.

A recording of radio exchanges between Capt R and his troops obtained by Israeli television revealed that from the beginning soldiers identified Iman as a child.

In the recording, a soldier in a watchtower radioed a colleague in the army post's operations room and describes Iman as "a little girl" who was "scared to death". After soldiers first opened fire, she dropped her schoolbag which was then hit by several bullets establishing that it did not contain explosive. At that point she was no longer carrying the bag and, the tape revealed, was heading away from the army post when she was shot.

Although the military speculated that Iman might have been trying to "lure" the soldiers out of their base so they could be attacked by accomplices, Capt R made the decision to lead some of his troops into the open. Shortly afterwards he can be heard on the recording saying that he has shot the girl and, believing her dead, then "confirmed the kill".

"I and another soldier ... are going in a little nearer, forward, to confirm the kill ... Receive a situation report. We fired and killed her ... I also confirmed the kill. Over," he said.

Palestinian witnesses said they saw the captain shoot Iman twice in the head, walk away, turn back and fire a stream of bullets into her body.

On the tape, Capt R then "clarifies" to the soldiers under his command why he killed Iman: "This is commander. Anything that's mobile, that moves in the [security] zone, even if it's a three-year-old, needs to be killed."

At no point did the Israeli troops come under attack.

The prosecution case was damaged when a soldier who initially said he had seen Capt R point his weapon at the girl's body and open fire later told the court he had fabricated the story.

Capt R claimed that he had not fired the shots at the girl but near her. However, Dr Mohammed al-Hams, who inspected the child's body at Rafah hospital, counted numerous wounds. "She has at least 17 bullets in several parts of the body, all along the chest, hands, arms, legs," he told the Guardian shortly afterwards. "The bullets were large and shot from a close distance. The most serious injuries were to her head. She had three bullets in the head. One bullet was shot from the right side of the face beside the ear. It had a big impact on the whole face."

The army's initial investigation concluded that the captain had "not acted unethically". But after some of the soldiers under his command went to the Israeli press to give a different version, the military police launched a separate investigation after which he was charged.

Capt R claimed that the soldiers under his command were out to get him because they are Jewish and he is Druze.

The transcript

The following is a recording of a three-way conversation that took place between a soldier in a watchtower, an army operations room and Capt R, who shot the girl

From the watchtower [three-way conversation between watchtower soldier, the operations room in another location, and finally, Captain R, the officer on the ground near watchtower "It's a little girl. She's running defensively eastward." "Are we talking about a girl under the age of 10?" "A girl about 10, she's behind the embankment, scared to death." "I think that one of the positions took her out." "I and another soldier ... are going in a little nearer, forward, to confirm the kill ... Receive a situation report. We fired and killed her ... I also confirmed the kill. Over."

From the operations room "Are we talking about a girl under the age of 10?"

Watchtower "A girl about 10, she's behind the embankment, scared to death."

A few minutes later, Iman is shot from one of the army posts

Watchtower "I think that one of the positions took her out."

Captain R "I and another soldier ... are going in a little nearer, forward, to confirm the kill ... Receive a situation report. We fired and killed her ... I also confirmed the kill. Over."

Capt R then "clarifies" why he killed Iman

"This is commander. Anything that's mobile, that moves in the zone, even if it's a three-year-old, needs to be killed. Over."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

As Trump's election established, nothing matters. If he's acquitted for that kind of conduct then nobody will be punished for shooting children apparently

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

"This is commander. Anything that's mobile, that moves in the [security] zone, even if it's a three-year-old, needs to be killed."

Lock this bag of animated poo poo in a hole and leave him there to rot, jesus christ almighty what a sickening waste of blood and organs.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Svartvit posted:

I missed this in the news overload, but the child hunting season seems to still be open.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2005/nov/16/israel2

You probably missed it because it's from 11 years ago.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

Kabanaw posted:

This is what happens when I use Facebook.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Kabanaw posted:

Amazing how nothing changes. :smithicide:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Yardbomb posted:

"This is commander. Anything that's mobile, that moves in the [security] zone, even if it's a three-year-old, needs to be killed."

Lock this bag of animated poo poo in a hole and leave him there to rot, jesus christ almighty what a sickening waste of blood and organs.

It's a common enough rationale in the IDF. The shelling of children on the Gaza beaches was similar - the nearby fisherman's shack was deemed a "Hamas facility" and therefore anyone sighted near it was assumed to be a Hamas member and therefore a valid target. Officially, troops called it in to command, who carried out a threat assessment and determined that there was ample reason to consider them hostiles and valid targets, so they're covered if there's an investigation or if Israel needs to pay lip service to international law...but really, all they did was unilaterally declare a zone to be "civilian-free" to spare themselves the effort of determining whether anyone in that zone is a civilian or not.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
It also allows anyone involved in any stage of the process to justify it to themselves as only following orders

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

It's funny how some people will so readily accept "Just following orders" from certain groups still, when otherwise that was supposed to have gone out the door with friggin Nuremberg. Wonder whyyyyyyy. :ughh:

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Yardbomb posted:

It's funny how some people will so readily accept "Just following orders" from certain groups still, when otherwise that was supposed to have gone out the door with friggin Nuremberg. Wonder whyyyyyyy. :ughh:

I put the blame on a few bad apples.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Haaretz now has a page containing most of the known information about the recent corruption scandal involving Netanyahu, the page itself is not behind the paywall - http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/LIVE-1.753695

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
as the cult of great america scrapes its agonising way toward the heart of the earth, the tremendous heat will melt and meld them into one loud and stinking mass of flesh. trump, pence and all their voters will finally be united in the purest way imaginable - part of the same hideous mass, a seething gluttonous ocean of pink meat powering itself forward by eating coal straight out of the ground. its passage will weaken the very bones of the planet. continents will implode as america passes underneath them. huge vortexes will form as the seas spiral down into the sucking chasms to evaporate instantly in the terrible fire of the core. micronesia, long since swallowed by water and forgotten by history, will re-emerge as a new superpower. a land bridge will form between australia, indonesia and what remains of southeast asia after the nuclear war. once more we will all be connected. meanwhile the festering flesh kingdom of great america eats and eats, digs and digs, until all at once they break through the bedrock and into the mantle and are incinerated by the lava, creating a miasma of barbecue-tinged smoke that will tantalise the atmosphere for forty years and create a barrier between humanity and the furious sun. thus will the three-pronged catastrophe of the rising sea, the roasting earth and the sins of great america be resolved. all rights will be wronged, all sins punished, and we will live forever in paradise. blessed is the name! amen

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

great america is a roller coaster park

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth
So apparently Drumpf suggested his New York billionaire heir nephew as Israel-Palestine envoy in the NYT talks. I'm guessing it's another one of his lies?

*edit* Son-in-law

Svartvit fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Nov 23, 2016

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Svartvit posted:

So apparently Trump suggested his New York billionaire heir nephew as Israel-Palestine envoy in the NYT talks. I'm guessing it's another one of his lies?

Maybe it's his least favorite nephew?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
All he said was that Kushner "could be the guy to bring peace", he really wasn't any more specific than that.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

All he said was that Kushner "could be the guy to bring peace", he really wasn't any more specific than that.

Of "They make a desert and call it peace" variety?

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

emanresu tnuocca posted:

So this was it:

DRUMPF: Oh. Maybe nothing. Because I don’t want to have people saying ‘conflict.’ Even though the president of the United States — I hope whoever is writing this story, it’s written fairly — the president of the United States is allowed to have whatever conflicts he wants — he or she wants. But I don’t want to go by that. Jared’s a very smart guy. He’s a very good guy. The people that know him, he’s a quality person and I think he can be very helpful. I would love to be able to be the one that made peace with Israel and the Palestinians. I would love that, that would be such a great achievement. Because nobody’s been able to do it.

HABERMAN: Do you think he can be part of that?

DRUMPF: Well, I think he’d be very good at it. I mean he knows it so well. He knows the region, knows the people, knows the players. I would love to be — and you can put that down in a list of many things that I’d like to be able to do. Now a lot of people tell me, really great people tell me, that it’s impossible, you can’t do it. I’ve had a lot of, actually, great Israeli businesspeople tell me, you can’t do that, it’s impossible. I disagree, I think you can make peace. I think people are tired now of being shot, killed. At some point, when do they come? I think we can do that. I have reason to believe I can do that.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Some dude in some comments section posted:

Election is comeing...Good riddens to Hussein (Insane) Obama John (scary) Kerry and (Sillery) Hillary Clinton! BA BYE!
Don't sink to this level. The political discussion in... in anywhere, actually... is low enough already.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

emanresu tnuocca posted:

If Kushner spends any amount of time in Israel and brings Ivanka with him, that whole mess with the Israeli Rabbinate rejecting her rabbi's conversions (and implicitly hers) is going to rear its ugly head.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If Kushner spends any amount of time in Israel and brings Ivanka with him, that whole mess with the Israeli Rabbinate rejecting her rabbi's conversions (and implicitly hers) is going to rear its ugly head.

Yeah for some reason I tend to think Bibi and friends will tell the rabbinate to suck it if they try to provoke Ivanka or any of the Trump clan members.

Just listen to the deafening silence coming from the Bibi administration concerning Trump's recent questionably-antisemitic appointments, Bibi is not going to do anything that alienates trump.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

Xander77 posted:

Don't sink to this level. The political discussion in... in anywhere, actually... is low enough already.

If you're referring to the spelling of "Trump", I installed an app in Chrome a long time ago that changes it into "Drumpf" and now I have no way of knowing myself what it actually says.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Yeah for some reason I tend to think Bibi and friends will tell the rabbinate to suck it if they try to provoke Ivanka or any of the Trump clan members.

Just listen to the deafening silence coming from the Bibi administration concerning Trump's recent questionably-antisemitic appointments, Bibi is not going to do anything that alienates trump.

Do you really think the Rabbinate gives a poo poo? Netanyahu would just as easily make conversions easy, he just doesn't want to lose the votes from Shas and UTJ. The Modern Orthodox who support Netanyahu and Bennett (nevermind the Russians supporting Lieberman) are largely pro-conversion.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Kim Jong Il posted:

Do you really think the Rabbinate gives a poo poo? Netanyahu would just as easily make conversions easy, he just doesn't want to lose the votes from Shas and UTJ. The Modern Orthodox who support Netanyahu and Bennett (nevermind the Russians supporting Lieberman) are largely pro-conversion.

Yeah that's great but none of this is ever gonna happen anyway. If Ivanka for some reason would sue for an Israeli citizenship it's like she'll come to some arrangement with the rabbinate that doesn't rock the boat so much (like an expedited Giyur, a thing which is known to happen).

In other news, not about the submarines this time I swear, there have been forest fires raging all over Israel the past week, now the Shin Bet is claiming they're investigating suspicions that these were caused by intentional arson and that are in fact forms of terror attacks. - http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4883877,00.html - so yeah, this could get ugly. I am not making any judgement calls as to whether these are arsons or not, before you guys pounce on me.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Not to be callous to either side, but, if the fires are indeed an act of resistance/terrorism, they are an interesting departure from the recent spate of stabbings/rammings. It's always perplexed me that we don't see more such actions with better short-term survivability for the perpetrator (and thus the option to act again). There haven't been deaths from the fires as far as I've read, but they cause much greater disruption than a random attempted stabbing.

But until more information about the suspects is released, who's to say it's not an ultra-right false-flag or even just hysteria over natural phenomena that's going to be used to justify a pogrom against the vilified out-group?

Either way, here's hoping it doesn't result in the deaths of innocents.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
My experience of criminal forest arson is that the culprits are usually realty developers, rather than political activists. "Well, all this protected forestland is no longer forestland, so it no longer needs to be protected, right? Perfect, I've got some big projects for this area, look at all these ugly buildings I'm planning to plop down there!"

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah I don't think it's arson, turns out there's a ton of wildfires going on right now in Lebanon and Syria as well, the weather is very dry and windy and the summer was long and warm, I'm no fire-person but people say that those are pretty much the ideal conditions for fires to start. In any way, that didn't stop Bibi from calling this "arson terrorism" and ynet even went as far as having the words "the arson intifada" on its front page, so things are still on the path towards getting ugly.

Wildfires in the past 24 hours, for reference:

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 24, 2016

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Don't worry, they're already calibrating the missile coordinates in case of the first hint of brown person involvement.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Yeah that's great but none of this is ever gonna happen anyway. If Ivanka for some reason would sue for an Israeli citizenship it's like she'll come to some arrangement with the rabbinate that doesn't rock the boat so much (like an expedited Giyur, a thing which is known to happen).

In other news, not about the submarines this time I swear, there have been forest fires raging all over Israel the past week, now the Shin Bet is claiming they're investigating suspicions that these were caused by intentional arson and that are in fact forms of terror attacks. - http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4883877,00.html - so yeah, this could get ugly. I am not making any judgement calls as to whether these are arsons or not, before you guys pounce on me.

Seen some rather lovely comments of people basically going "Good" at hearing about the fires and saying that if it was arson then they deserved it.

If I didn't have sympathy for the people affected by this before I certainly do so now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Its probably equally affecting both Israelis and Palestinians. Wildfires tend to not care what they burn as long as they do.