Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

FART BOSS posted:

I've got a hankering for chili but fresh jalapeņos, let alone more exotic peppers, are just not available here in Taiwan. Which would be a better substitute if I'm using Ironleg's recipe: half a can of chipotle in adobo and some canned jalapeņo or just the full can of chipotle? Also they don't have canned beef broth here. Is chicken broth worth trying or should I just add more beer to make up for the moisture?

In my experience, canned jalapenos tend to be very mild unless otherwise stated. Even if they're spicy, they're usually pickled in some kind of vinegar, which will add a tangy kick to the chili. If you're just looking for extra spice, you could get away with adding some cayenne to the chili in addition to whatever else you're throwing in. You could also try ordering a variety of dried chilis online and mixing and matching to get a taste you're looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I'm cleaning out my freezer and I found a bag of vacuum sealed and frozen deer and elk I forgot about :getin:

FART BOSS
Aug 27, 2008

~hands upon harrows
heels in the weeds
starving and harvesting
down centuries~

Thanks for the advice. I'll go with the full chipotle. I might try importing peppers next time though. For the beef broth I just realized I can probably get some as takeaway from any of the beef noodle restaurants around here so that should do.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

FART BOSS posted:

I've got a hankering for chili but fresh jalapeņos, let alone more exotic peppers, are just not available here in Taiwan. Which would be a better substitute if I'm using Ironleg's recipe: half a can of chipotle in adobo and some canned jalapeņo or just the full can of chipotle? Also they don't have canned beef broth here. Is chicken broth worth trying or should I just add more beer to make up for the moisture?

As stated above, canned jalapenos = vinegar. I have never put vinegar into a chili. I guess I can imagine topping chili with a little texas pete, but something about putting it into the batch seems very very wrong.

I'm not fully convinced that fresh jalapenos or whatever really add anything to a dish besides heat, seeds, and skins. I just add them out of habit/fun/belief that I can somehow pick out the jalapeno notes over all the other dried chiles and chipotles.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
So I can't seem to find dried chilies around here, anyone know an easy way to dry chilies?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
A dehydrator

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Depending on how good your oven is, you could also try setting it to its lowest setting and tossing your peppers in there for a while. I've never tried that though, because I have a lovely oven.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

neogeo0823 posted:

Depending on how good your oven is, you could also try setting it to its lowest setting and tossing your peppers in there for a while. I've never tried that though, because I have a lovely oven.

I'll give that a shot, my oven isn;t too bad, just runs on gas. Though I'd rather use it for a few hours than have to buy a dehydrator. Wouldn;t use that thing for anything else.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Elblanco posted:

I'll give that a shot, my oven isn;t too bad, just runs on gas. Though I'd rather use it for a few hours than have to buy a dehydrator. Wouldn;t use that thing for anything else.

Dog treats! Not the peppers, but like sweet potato slices all thick like.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

NOO WAI

Junkie Disease" posted:

Not the peppers, but like sweet potato slices all thick like.

Phew

I'd like to experiment with pumpkin for dog treats. Does that dehydrate at all? I figure you'd have to peel the skin off.

And, coyo7e, I am jealous of your freezer find. How do you forget a whole bag of Cervidae in the back of the freezer?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
they were stuffed behind a gallon ziploc of blueberries from the garden that I always forget to eat once I freeze them. I was cleaning out the fridge and freezer because I realized I haven't been cooking much this semester and all my veggie trays were gross. :(

It's not like a huge amount, 4 good steaks that're old enough that they're mostly going to be only good for a stew or something anyway, but definitely plenty to toss into some chili with some other stuff :)

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
chili thread or....chile...thread?

Shop & Save had like a grab bag type thing of chiles for $2. I picked it up primarily because that was the first time I had ever seen those long thin red chiles that Gordon Ramsay is always using. (Those ones are delicious, btw. Subtly different from red jalapeno and prettier to boot.)

Anyhow, I figured you guys might want to try to identify them. Maybe be the expert that can distinguish habanero and scotch bonnet. I'm mostly wondering about the dark ones and the tiny wrinkly red ones. (The tiny wrinkly red ones were hot as gently caress, surprise surprise.)

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

FaradayCage posted:

chili thread or....chile...thread?

Shop & Save had like a grab bag type thing of chiles for $2. I picked it up primarily because that was the first time I had ever seen those long thin red chiles that Gordon Ramsay is always using. (Those ones are delicious, btw. Subtly different from red jalapeno and prettier to boot.)

Anyhow, I figured you guys might want to try to identify them. Maybe be the expert that can distinguish habanero and scotch bonnet. I'm mostly wondering about the dark ones and the tiny wrinkly red ones. (The tiny wrinkly red ones were hot as gently caress, surprise surprise.)

I don't know enough about chiles to ID all of those, but the wrinkly ones are scotch bonnets and the smooth (but similarly shaped/sized) ones are probably habs. Jerk some chicken! Just make sure to wash your hands thoroughly before you jerk your chicken.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I don't know enough about chiles to ID all of those, but the wrinkly ones are scotch bonnets and the smooth (but similarly shaped/sized) ones are probably habs. Jerk some chicken! Just make sure to wash your hands thoroughly before you jerk your chicken.

Cool idea. I haven't jerked chicken before. I'll pair it with veg rundown, black beans, and banana salsa.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Crazyeyes posted:

My girlfriend volunteered me against my will to make chili for her parents because "your chili is so good". Problem is: her father is an incredibly picky eater due to health issues, so spicy/strong flavors really upset his stomach. I knew this and cautioned my gf, but her response was, "Just make it without the peppers!"

Please help. How does one make good chili without chili peppers and with minimal spices? I don't think it's possible.
I am way late to the party, and can't help YOU specifically, but there is no reason you can't make a good chili with bell peppers, anaheims, poblanos, mild banana peppers, etc.. It deviates from most peoples expectations, but still meets the real requirements -- meat and peppers.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
I'm in a chili emergency. I don't think I'll have time to do a ton of research. I'm looking for a semi spicy chili with beans. I need to make a very large batch. I've made a chili before where I ground my own chili paste but I didn't overly like the end result. The recipe was from cooks illustrated. I also just got a sousvide if there is any advantages to cooking the meat that way.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

5436 posted:

I'm in a chili emergency. I don't think I'll have time to do a ton of research. I'm looking for a semi spicy chili with beans. I need to make a very large batch. I've made a chili before where I ground my own chili paste but I didn't overly like the end result. The recipe was from cooks illustrated. I also just got a sousvide if there is any advantages to cooking the meat that way.

How large are you talking, and how much time do you have? The advice I can give you right this second would be that if you didn't like the chili paste you made before, change it to suit your tastes this time. It doesn't have to be a paste, per se, you can totally just toast and grind dried chilis and use them straight like that. What sort of flavor profile are you looking for other than "semi spicy"? You can cover that bit in a few different ways, either via more hot dried chilis, fresh jalapenos, or even sriracha or similar if you're in a rush or want to do it on a per-bowl basis. Finely ground coffee and/or cooca powder will give the powder depth and a slight bitterness that'll pair really well with a chocolate stout if you're looking to add beer to the pot. Just go light on those two, as they'll overtake other flavors easily.

If you didn't like your last attempt at chili, you'll need to evaluate everything that went into that batch, not just the chili paste. What liquid did you add? What meat did you use? What veggies?

Speaking of, no, do not sousvide your chili meat. That's like using filet mignon in your drat chili. You don't want tender, succulent filet in your chili, you want tough, sinewy, fat marbled meat that'll take well to a good few hours of simmering. Get yourself a large hunk of beef roast, a pack of stew meat, a lump of pork shoulder, any of the big, bulky, cheap-per-pound roasting meats and use that. Either cut the meat up into cubes, sear and toss in the chili, or slow cook and shred the meat and add that way. Hell, cut the lump of meat in half and do both. That way you'll get the lovely flavor that would come from the maillard reaction of searing the cubes of meat in the chili pot, and the texture and tenderness of slow roasting the meat as well.

If you want a recipe to follow blindly, go for Iron Leg's recipe from the 2nd post of this thread. Scale up for a bigger batch, and make your own damned chili powder.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Chili cook off competition at work Friday after next. I spent the weekend making a shitload of quality beef stock. For the actual chili, if I'm planning on using this stock, do I also add some beer or is it one-or-the-other?

And when people such as Iron Leg are listing 'chorizo, casing removed, cut into cubes' are they referring to harder Spanish chorizo? Because the Mexican stuff I've seen here is super soft and obviously you have to remove the plastic tube it came in.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Nov 21, 2016

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Mexican chorizo, and I use both beer and stock.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

neogeo0823 posted:

How large are you talking, and how much time do you have? The advice I can give you right this second would be that if you didn't like the chili paste you made before, change it to suit your tastes this time. It doesn't have to be a paste, per se, you can totally just toast and grind dried chilis and use them straight like that. What sort of flavor profile are you looking for other than "semi spicy"? You can cover that bit in a few different ways, either via more hot dried chilis, fresh jalapenos, or even sriracha or similar if you're in a rush or want to do it on a per-bowl basis. Finely ground coffee and/or cooca powder will give the powder depth and a slight bitterness that'll pair really well with a chocolate stout if you're looking to add beer to the pot. Just go light on those two, as they'll overtake other flavors easily.

If you didn't like your last attempt at chili, you'll need to evaluate everything that went into that batch, not just the chili paste. What liquid did you add? What meat did you use? What veggies?

Speaking of, no, do not sousvide your chili meat. That's like using filet mignon in your drat chili. You don't want tender, succulent filet in your chili, you want tough, sinewy, fat marbled meat that'll take well to a good few hours of simmering. Get yourself a large hunk of beef roast, a pack of stew meat, a lump of pork shoulder, any of the big, bulky, cheap-per-pound roasting meats and use that. Either cut the meat up into cubes, sear and toss in the chili, or slow cook and shred the meat and add that way. Hell, cut the lump of meat in half and do both. That way you'll get the lovely flavor that would come from the maillard reaction of searing the cubes of meat in the chili pot, and the texture and tenderness of slow roasting the meat as well.

If you want a recipe to follow blindly, go for Iron Leg's recipe from the 2nd post of this thread. Scale up for a bigger batch, and make your own damned chili powder.

It was a complex recipe so it'd be hard to pinpoint. I'm not familiar enough with the flavor profile of the chilis to know what to modify. I thought the chili I made was decent, not bad, but not mind blowing. I think I wanted it to have a slightly sweeter profile and a different chili taste. How to quantify that is hard because of how many ingredients go into the chili. I have about a week before I need to cook for like 15-20 people. I am pretty busy though (Thanksgiving/travel) until the day.

By semi-spicy I mean like your typical hot wings at any bar/pub. Not burn your mouth off but also not mild.

I saw a recipe a few pages back that won a chili cook off I might use. I guess I'll go with a mix of pork shoulder and beef stew meat. My gf does want hers to be ground beef so if anyone has recommendations for a recipe that uses ground meat that'd be helpful.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

5436 posted:

It was a complex recipe so it'd be hard to pinpoint. I'm not familiar enough with the flavor profile of the chilis to know what to modify. I thought the chili I made was decent, not bad, but not mind blowing. I think I wanted it to have a slightly sweeter profile and a different chili taste. How to quantify that is hard because of how many ingredients go into the chili. I have about a week before I need to cook for like 15-20 people. I am pretty busy though (Thanksgiving/travel) until the day.

By semi-spicy I mean like your typical hot wings at any bar/pub. Not burn your mouth off but also not mild.

I saw a recipe a few pages back that won a chili cook off I might use. I guess I'll go with a mix of pork shoulder and beef stew meat. My gf does want hers to be ground beef so if anyone has recommendations for a recipe that uses ground meat that'd be helpful.

For the chilis, grab as large a variety as you can find, and just taste them. Literally pick a tiny bit off the tip of each variety and chew it for a bit. Note down how they taste. Chilis can range from spicy to fruity to smokey to rich and earthy. The wiki link Iron Leg posted has a quick guide to some of the more common dried chilis and what they taste like. Pick ones that match the profile you want, toast them, grind them, then try the resulting powder. If it doesn't taste right, add what's missing. You'll probably be fine going with what's posted in the wiki link, if you can find them. If not, just use what you can get.

As for the meat, the difference between ground beef and cubed meat is largely textural. You don't really get a huge flavor difference between the two, so they both end up mostly interchangeable. One thing you could potentially do is make two half batches, one with the cubed, and one with the ground, and serve both.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

neogeo0823 posted:

For the chilis, grab as large a variety as you can find, and just taste them. Literally pick a tiny bit off the tip of each variety and chew it for a bit. Note down how they taste. Chilis can range from spicy to fruity to smokey to rich and earthy. The wiki link Iron Leg posted has a quick guide to some of the more common dried chilis and what they taste like. Pick ones that match the profile you want, toast them, grind them, then try the resulting powder. If it doesn't taste right, add what's missing. You'll probably be fine going with what's posted in the wiki link, if you can find them. If not, just use what you can get.

As for the meat, the difference between ground beef and cubed meat is largely textural. You don't really get a huge flavor difference between the two, so they both end up mostly interchangeable. One thing you could potentially do is make two half batches, one with the cubed, and one with the ground, and serve both.

I figured stewing ground beef for a every long time would make it extra chewy and weird texture. My plan was to make the same base and just do half and half for cubed meat vs ground meat. I have access to a really really wide variety of chilis (fresh and dried) since I live in a spanish neighborhood and in a major city. I'll try the gws chili powder and see if I like the taste.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

5436 posted:

I figured stewing ground beef for a every long time would make it extra chewy and weird texture. My plan was to make the same base and just do half and half for cubed meat vs ground meat. I have access to a really really wide variety of chilis (fresh and dried) since I live in a spanish neighborhood and in a major city. I'll try the gws chili powder and see if I like the taste.

Yeah, the ground beef will be a bit chewy. Once in the chili though, it won't matter nearly as much. Have your girlfriend try the batch with the cubed meat and see which she likes better. Maybe use her and her ground beef for testing out small batches while you make changes to the main recipe to suit your tastes.

Either way, good luck! Let us know how it turns out!

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

neogeo0823 posted:

Chilis can range from spicy to fruity to smokey to rich and earthy. The wiki link Iron Leg posted has a quick guide to some of the more common dried chilis and what they taste like.

Isn't anchos the name for dried poblanos?

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

5436 posted:

I for the dried chiles, I tend to lean heavily on ancho. They are pretty mild and have a sweet almost raisiny flavor. I always add in a few others, whether it's dried chipotle, pasilla, or guajillo. To up the spice, I usually go chipotles in adobo and fresno chilis or red jalapeno. none of those are particularly spicy chiles, and they wil tend towards a little sweetness. You could up that if you want by browning your onion some more, adding and browning some tomato paste after the onion is done, or even using maltier beer as a cooking liquid. Just a few thoughts.

I personally don't go for ground meat in chili. It's much better with meet chunks. Also cornbread is the one true chili side.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Ranter posted:

Isn't anchos the name for dried poblanos?

Yes.

Ben Nevis posted:

I for the dried chiles, I tend to lean heavily on ancho. They are pretty mild and have a sweet almost raisiny flavor. I always add in a few others, whether it's dried chipotle, pasilla, or guajillo. To up the spice, I usually go chipotles in adobo and fresno chilis or red jalapeno. none of those are particularly spicy chiles, and they wil tend towards a little sweetness. You could up that if you want by browning your onion some more, adding and browning some tomato paste after the onion is done, or even using maltier beer as a cooking liquid. Just a few thoughts.

I personally don't go for ground meat in chili. It's much better with meet chunks. Also cornbread is the one true chili side.

I pretty much follow exactly this as well, and it works out well. Add in the other stuff mentioned in the chili powder wiki link, and it's hard to screw up.

And chili corn bread is made profoundly better by mixing in some fresh small diced and sauteed jalapenos and a handful of some shredded cheese, like pepper jack or colby, and sprinkling more on top before you bake. I like making cornbread muffins that way, since they're perfectly portioned for a bowl of chili.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Getting my stuff together for the work chili cook off competition.

I bought a little Cuisinart food processor that has 'forward chop' and a 'reverse grind' settings. For the chili powder do I want a chop or a grind?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Ranter posted:

Getting my stuff together for the work chili cook off competition.

I bought a little Cuisinart food processor that has 'forward chop' and a 'reverse grind' settings. For the chili powder do I want a chop or a grind?

Depends on how fine you want it. You could also have used a blender and just let it run a bit. Coarse grind will give a slight bit of texture in the same way that any other coarsely ground herb will. I tend to use a blender and go till the bigger chunks look about the size of the pepper seeds, maybe a bit bigger. But then again, because I use a blender, that also leaves me with a decent portion of the stuff getting ground very fine.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
What's the major difference of making chilis into a paste instead of powder?
Sometimes I'm lazy, and just soak the dried peppers, and then throw them with the chilis in adobo or whatever else I'm throwing into the food processor.

Also, has anyone tried using leftover turkey in chili and what results can I expect if I should venture into this territory?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Think I want more of a powder. I'll play with the settings and see how it goes. Don't own a blender.

xergm posted:

Sometimes I'm lazy, and just soak the dried peppers, and then throw them with the chilis in adobo or whatever else I'm throwing into the food processor.

I could be wrong, but a dry powder would keep longer in your cupboard for another day whereas a paste will go bad quicker?

CowboyKid
May 29, 2008

xergm posted:

I prefer paste and make a large batch every year, freezing it in jars that are enough for a batch of chili, I usually make 3 batches a year.

My paste is mainly: deseeded/veined toasted then rehydrated Arbols, few Pasilla, New Mexicos and couple cascabels. Arbols are the best.

Process with fresh japs and serranos, one habanero in the rehydrating liquid.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I prefer paste since it's less gritty

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Why would adding water to the chilis resulting in a paste make it less gritty than adding the powder to the chili pot with stock/beer?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Because I have a vitamix :colbert:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Ranter posted:

Why would adding water to the chilis resulting in a paste make it less gritty than adding the powder to the chili pot with stock/beer?

Personally, I think it's a psychosomatic thing, but then again, I generally opt to work with chili powders instead of pastes. I would think that the paste can be portioned and frozen, giving you a sort of chili bouillon cube that you can just toss in wherever, whereas the powder would take up potentially valuable real estate in potentially limited cabinets(so, in my apartment) and might begin to go a bit stale and lose flavor after a year or two. Really, it's almost definitely a preference thing, and whichever way you do it is ok as long as it gets done. If you have the storage space in the cabinet and a good, air tight container, go for powder. If you have the freezer space and want to portion a bit easier, go for paste.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
So here's my big post. Work chili cook off is Friday but I figured letting it rest 2 days in the fridge will only help the flavor. I'll post final results but I'm expecting not to win given the history I'm hearing around curries and not-chilis winning because they're not-chilies. Sounds like some BS but hey I learned a lot doing this.

One big thing I learned was the dried chilies I got had dirt on them. Washing them properly resulting in water. Water resulting in toasting being annoying so I switched to paste. I also learned the BEST chipotle in adobe brand is La Morena, even better than San Marcos. Pics incoming in various qualities and sizes because I am NOT a food photographer and suck. Everything taken with my phone.

Preparing the stock the weekend before last:

Getting my chilies together:

Couldn't get a smoked beer from my nearest BevMo so picked this for the bourbon/oak instead:

Mollie Stones is a ripoff but Alex was cool. I cut these up myself:

I spent too much time trying to get an efficient photo of everything so deal with it. Stock is on the far right:

I did a bunch of stuff that isn't pictured. Here's the end result, at the start of the simmering step:

4 hours later:

I opted for the more 'pulled' style of meat than leaving the soft chunks in tact. Hopefully this pays off:

Thanks for watching.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Ranter posted:

I opted for the more 'pulled' style of meat than leaving the soft chunks in tact. Hopefully this pays off:

Please put that in my mouth kthx. It looks fantastic!

But yeah, great real chilli almost never wins an office chilli cookoff. The one that will usually win will be the most milquetoast ground beef, canned tomato soup and 'Flavorful And Mild' chilli beans dumped in a slow cooker thing ever. That is because it's what most people expect. They don't expect effort or flavor beyond Wendy's dollar menu. Or the winner gets picked because a group of people vote as a block about which one they all groupthinked and synergized about what was best, which will end up being the least chilli like thing. Oh, and young men will vote for the spiciest regardless of flavor so they look hardcore.

I gotta make me some more goat chilli when it gets cooler.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Dec 1, 2016

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Ranter posted:

I spent too much time trying to get an efficient photo of everything so deal with it. Stock is on the far right:

I gotta ask how much basil flavor is left after drying out the leaves and simmering them for up to four hours in chili.

Still, end result looks very nice and might be my next target.

I've never included tomatoes in a proper Texas style chili. Possibly because of this thread. What sort of flavor can one expect? Is it kind of like spaghetti meat sauce but with dank chile flavor and heat?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

FaradayCage posted:

I gotta ask how much basil flavor is left after drying out the leaves and simmering them for up to four hours in chili.

I just followed the recipe. I don't think it's much different to making ragu?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

FaradayCage posted:

I've never included tomatoes in a proper Texas style chili. Possibly because of this thread. What sort of flavor can one expect? Is it kind of like spaghetti meat sauce but with dank chile flavor and heat?

I usually go with light tomato, grating a medium tomato or 2 romas into a pot that'll serve two with some leftovers. At that level it's not nearly as tomato-y as spaghetti or anything. I realized I haven't done it without in ages, so I'm not sure offhand what exactly the difference is. Maybe next time.