Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
An apology from the NBA takes from the loss column, right?!?!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Play of the game
https://streamable.com/gkrd

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Ahaha that's incredible

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Somewhere in the multiverse there is a Shaq who remained non-fat and also learned underhand FTs. He won ten rings and scored 45,000+ points.

Dexo posted:

Jimmy and Wade are still good at basketball.

It's early but if the stars align I could see Butler winning the MVP. Much more dependent on if the Bulls can get the #1 or #2 seed though.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

WhyteRyce posted:

I'm confused at some takes people have on the Kings roster. Yeah the asset cupboard is bare. But there aren't a lot of long term deals on the books and the few they have aren't that big of a deal. By not trading Rudy for a monta Ellis or Stuckey poop platter, trading for more picks/assets during the draft, and basically doing the bare minimum about their PG situation, the Kings effectively said they are starting over. They owe an unprotected pick but they have a fair bit of flexibility going forward. The only question is if they think Cousins will stick around, and why make a deal before next summer if you don't have to.

I would feel better about the Kings if they had LESS roster flexibility going forward. If they had their cash tied up in some bright futures at least I'd know where they were going and what they were doing.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

lmao
https://twitter.com/kevinrashidi/status/800571861927161857

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

straight up brolic posted:

it's just the wrong call, but they can't like...have them go play overtime. they needed to catch it during the play or treat the shot clock as normal. You can't not catch it, and then retroactively call the play dead.

Hasn't it just been a couple of years since they had teams replay part of a game during their next meeting because of some kind of clock gently caress up. I can't remember the details but feel like that happened.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Raptors are not happy tonight

https://streamable.com/o18z

https://streamable.com/plt9

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

xbilkis posted:

Boogie took the latest Kanye West Episode in stride

https://twitter.com/AlyshaTsuji/status/800241844806221824

Clearly he's sympathetic to anyone who wants to bolt from Sacramento ASAP

I just watched Kanye's rant in full and apparently he's not a huge fan of radio :confused:

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

"That's bullshit Mike and you know it"

Lessail fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Nov 21, 2016

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Another thing about the Ross call is that the clock does start before he even got the ball

So the refs are saying the time from the Boogie tip to the ball hitting the floor is definitively more than .5 seconds + the normal human lag time to start the clock when the ball is touched. Which is, you know, insane

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

I hope every home Raptors game has a "clock malfunction" now

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Looks like a certain refereeing crew has been reading Borge's essay on the unreality of time

https://twitter.com/kevinrashidi/status/800571861927161857

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
https://twitter.com/ZachLowe_NBA/status/800461260521357312

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Lessail posted:

I hope every home Raptors game has a "clock malfunction" now

Shoutout to the Brooklyn - Raptors playoff game three years ago where on court shot clots malfunctioned so they literally had a guy mic'd up in the stadium to count 10..9.....8.... on the PA in sync with some dude holding a stopwatch every single play.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Looks like a certain refereeing crew has been reading Borge's essay on the unreality of time

Time is the substance I am made of. Time is a river which sweeps me along, but I am the river; it is a tiger which destroys me, but I am the tiger; it is a shotclock error which loses me the game, but I am the shotclock.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
During the most crucial moment of his career, the head ref had a vision of future-Boogie thanking him for noticing he tipped the ball and time expired

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

chunkles posted:

Time is the substance I am made of. Time is a river which sweeps me along, but I am the river; it is a tiger which destroys me, but I am the tiger; it is a shotclock error which loses me the game, but I am the shotclock.

Imagine four balls being inbounded on the edge of a cliff. Say a direct copy of the ball nearest the cliff is tipped by Cousins to the back of the line of balls and takes the place of the first ball. The formerly first ball becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth falls off the cliff.

Time works the same way.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

chunkles posted:

:golfclap:

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

BWV posted:

the solution during the situation in the future is to just replay the last 2.5 seconds I guess. it's what they do when the shot clock fucks up. Like I said in the GDT the players can't be held responsible for indepednetly assessing the passing of time. They always depend on the scoreboard/shotclock so if that errs you either go with it or just replay from the mistake.

Why would you get a replay at all?

You know when someone accidentally doesn't start the shot clock and they dribble up for 5 seconds and the refs notice and blow the whistle? They don't go back and replay that 5 seconds they just start the clock at 19 when they inbound because that's what it would be at.

Ross knew he had 2.4 seconds to get a shot off and he didn't do it. Everything past that is just whining.

Edit: I do want to add that the clock started before Ross touched the ball so the timekeeper did try to get it right, apparently, and it's weird that they actually go back and correct for a timekeeper delay when that type of thing is normally let slide.

Bashez fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Nov 21, 2016

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Week 4 Power Rankings

1. LA Clippers - A loss to the Grizzlies on a good night for that team, and an arguably stolen win from a Bulls team that melted down isn't enough for me to erase a mostly dominant season.
2. Cavs - Cruising
3. Spurs - Defense is inconsistent but good enough at times for them to take care of business.
4. Jimmy Butler and Another Alpha Featuring Taj Gibson and Cannon(sic) - This team is getting a rep for talking a lot of poo poo but thanks to Jimmy Butler they've mostly backed it up. The Clippers loss ended up being pretty embarrassing but they had a really good week despite poor health.
5. Memphis Grizzlies - They had a pretty solid week with a few good road wins.
6. Hawks - Trend continues where I like their wins but hate their losses.
7. Warriors - Holy poo poo what an easy schedule. I'm waiting every week to slide them up but they've just been feasting on the the literal worst teams in tn the NBA for the most part. The Raptors were the second """"""contender"""""" they've faced this season and they beat them so I guess there's that. Defense is garbage still, if it wasn't for the Lakers it'd probably be the worst in the league.
8. Raptors - A tough scheduling week saw a lot of losses that I am mostly forgiving by ranking a team that lost 3 out of 4 games this week in the top 10.
9. Rockets - A scorer's chance to get a win every night. They played a little defense here and there last week.
10. Lakers - Mostly ranking them as probably a ceremonial goodbye to relevancy. The Lakers have always been the NBA's work horse during the holiday schedule, so it's only going to get tougher for them the next couple month.
11. Pelicans - Another ceremonial ranking for some quality wins with the return of Holiday. They had a good week.
[Irrelevant line]
27. Suns - They're young, they're supposed to lose. Bender at this time does not look like an NBA player at all, which makes the Arizona Republic's weekly praise article of him hilarious, which is mostly why I'm highlighting their badness. But hopefully he can come along.
28. Mavs - Like Brolic, I can't deny they're this bad anymore.
29. Wizards - Historically bad sports owner Ted Leonsis has to be to blame for this somehow. Free John Wall.
30. Pacers - I don't care what a team's record is if they lose Sixers one week and then the Suns the next. They have the least amount of power in the league.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Rick, you have to evaluate your power ranking system when NOP ends up at 11. No offense kibner! No defense either, bahah. Just kidding.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The warriors defense is garbage but they have to lose half their roster before being as bad as portland or sacromento.

I don't understand anything about the wizards on why they're so bad.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Cool Buff Man posted:

Rick, you have to evaluate your power ranking system when NOP ends up at 11. No offense kibner! No defense either, bahah. Just kidding.

Hey by win/loss record last week they were one of the best teams in the league.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Basketball-Reference gave the Suns a 85% chance of winning against the 76ers the other day. That number seemed ridiculous even before they went out and lost the game. They are really bad.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Probably shouldn't focus too much on early regular season defense on contenders .

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Cool Buff Man posted:

They actually have a league average defense this year! It's the offense that is garbage. Optimistically, the return of Jrue may vault them up to an average team. Will be very nice once he gets up to speed and can start with no minutes restrictions.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

euphronius posted:

Probably shouldn't focus too much on early regular season defense on contenders .

They have a pretty clear structural weakness that goes beyond chemistry

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I had a dream last night that Giannis had 32 blocks in a game and it didn't seem that unreasonable.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Jack's Flow posted:

Basketball-Reference gave the Suns a 85% chance of winning against the 76ers the other day. That number seemed ridiculous even before they went out and lost the game. They are really bad.

To be fair TJ Warren didn't play and he's arguably been the best player on the team this year. They're still really bad though.

No Tyson Chandler either. He's been superb, he's playing like he gives a drat.

Space Camp fuckup fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Nov 21, 2016

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I feel like the blame lies solely on the Raptors for last night because they obviously hosed up when converting their Canadian Time to American Time and ended up with even less than they thought they would.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Space Camp fuckup posted:

To be fair TJ Warren didn't play and he's arguably been the best player on the team this year. They're still really bad though.

No Tyson Chandler either. He's been superb, he's playing like he gives a drat.

I don't think it would have made a difference. The game was never particularly close.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Rick posted:

29. Wizards - Historically bad sports owner Ted Leonsis has to be to blame for this somehow.

Someone gets it.

quote:

Free John Wall.

No he suffers with us till the end (of his contract).

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Wisely setting low expectations

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/johnschuhmann/status/800715840513523712

Lol at no Rondo

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
I read Rick's power rankings as an elaborate edifice to insult the Warriors and I approve of the effort.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Rick posted:

Hey by win/loss record last week they were one of the best teams in the league.

Kibner posted:

They actually have a league average defense this year! It's the offense that is garbage. Optimistically, the return of Jrue may vault them up to an average team. Will be very nice once he gets up to speed and can start with no minutes restrictions.

Yeah I have a strange affinity for the pelicans so I was joshing a bit. Really hope jrue can stay healthy so the team stays on track and I hope Tyreke doesn't make Tim disappear

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Cool Buff Man posted:

Yeah I have a strange affinity for the pelicans so I was joshing a bit. Really hope jrue can stay healthy so the team stays on track and I hope Tyreke doesn't make Tim disappear

I know, but constantly hearing how bad they are has caused me to reflexively defend them on things they are actually competent at. 😁

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Russel Westrbrook leads the league in usage by 6%.
Which is to say, Russ owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

attackmole posted:

Shoutout to the Brooklyn - Raptors playoff game three years ago where on court shot clots malfunctioned so they literally had a guy mic'd up in the stadium to count 10..9.....8.... on the PA in sync with some dude holding a stopwatch every single play.

That also happened this year during a Pacers game.

The 1st two weeks of the season the new Tissot clocks were hosed. I probably watched 15 games and at least 7 of them had some sort of clock issue. They seem to have gotten things working better. Maybe, like someone else said, it was an issue learning how to use new equipment. Wasn't a good start for Tissots new huge partnership.

Rick posted:

30. Pacers - I don't care what a team's record is if they lose Sixers one week and then the Suns the next. They have the least amount of power in the league.

This is hard to argue with.

• Locked thread