Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Darren Rovell from ESPN commented on how NASCAR needs more parity in its champions and fans are replying in bunches essentially saying "NUH UH".

Then Steve O'Donnell, like a good boy, toed the line with a week burn about not watching the sport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Jimmie never had to win a title over 36 races. Jimmie's thing has been like running a race: "Well, we're not perfect, but just wait for the caution late in the going. We'll bolt four on it, tape up the nose, break late, and go like hell in the last 10 races."

This is the second time Jimmie's been like 8th or 9th in points over the course of an entire season and been champ. If he had to do it the way Dale did (for apples to apples), he'd have a couple titles, but not 7.

You can't just say "let's change the format" and then assume the results wouldn't change too.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Jimmie was preferable to the other Chase contenders

NASCAR, also, is bad

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Jimmie Johnson is the least bad of the three 7-title drivers.

By the way: Team 3-time (DW/Stewart/Pearson, with Cale reserve) loving kicks Team 7-time (Johnson/Earnhardt/Petty)'s collective asses.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/Vintage_Mods/status/800528219170553856

gonna steal viking's thunder here.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

Darren Rovell from ESPN commented on how NASCAR needs more parity in its champions and fans are replying in bunches essentially saying "NUH UH".

Then Steve O'Donnell, like a good boy, toed the line with a week burn about not watching the sport.

The problem is...no one really "cared" about who the season ending champion was prior to the whole Newman-Kenseth debacle.

I can remember the thing being discussed on PTI and agreeing that Kenseth winning it was horseshit at the time, but my concern was always to who'd win Daytona, Coke 600, Bristol and Indy. But I never recalled "caring" that much.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Did TFF change your avatar?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Did TFF change your avatar?

Yes.

I need a new one. Advice for such would be greatly appreciated. :)

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Jimmie Johnson owns fyi

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

N: Seven-Time

V: :jerkbag:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Weird NASCAR's ratings and ticketsales are down i wonder why
[gives the same unlikable guy the championship 7 times in 11 years]
it keeps happening!!!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Where's that Chase format randomizer so we can figure out what next year's format will be?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Peanut President posted:

Weird NASCAR's ratings and ticketsales are down i wonder why
[gives the same unlikable guy the championship 7 times in 11 years]
it keeps happening!!!

He's good, but the system they've designed to give him the title is complete garbage and it makes you feel "cheated". Not his fault he's in position to scam the lovely system has set up.

I think it's a bit more complicated than JJ winning the amount of titles he's won. Jeff was on a similar level and NASCAR experienced the highest level of growth a racing series has ever seen.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I still think the chase is still a solution in search of a problem. That said I like the current iteration over any other one, but I prefer traditional points.

Plus, Alan Kulwicki won the championship in 1992 while only winning 2 races that year. I want to see someone do that now :colbert:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

iospace posted:

I still think the chase is still a solution in search of a problem. That said I like the current iteration over any other one, but I prefer traditional points.

Plus, Alan Kulwicki won the championship in 1992 while only winning 2 races that year. I want to see someone do that now :colbert:

I'm more impressed with the concept of hyping up the Winston Million/No Bull 5 "Grand Slam" races than having a 10 race "playoff" that we currently have.

I feel that was more so a step in the right direction rather than the direction they elected to go.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

FuzzySkinner posted:

I'm more impressed with the concept of hyping up the Winston Million/No Bull 5 "Grand Slam" races than having a 10 race "playoff" that we currently have.

I feel that was more so a step in the right direction rather than the direction they elected to go.

A million times this. The races are presented in terms of their relative importance to the championship: 26 equal races of whatever, 9 of a little more, then 1 that matters more than everything before it. There's very little, if any, lip service given to the marquee races - they're all just another identical step toward The Chase.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

tater_salad posted:

I don't think a top fuel cars engine would last, they're built to "live life a quarter mile at a time.

Thousand feet, nowadays. They were getting too fast and one of the legendary drivers died, so Top Fuel is on a shorter track now. But even if the engine did blow up at half a mile, they could probably take some class records coasting through the traps.

Edit: can a Cup engine last more than 600 miles, if not flat-out? I'm imagining the most ridiculous street car. take a Cup car, put proper lights and windshield wipers on...

Boomer The Cannon posted:

On the other hand, Johnson beats Earnhardt in Daytona 500 wins, Brickyard 400 wins, Coke 600 wins, Southern 500 wins....
Didn't Dale Sr. only win Daytona once? And finished 6th in his last attempt?

Nice retirement party for Smoke, though. Kinda disappointed his boys didn't pull through and get him at least an owner's championship for his final season, but ce la guerre.

I can't imagine Dale Sr. ever retiring, pretty sure dying on the track was the best/only way for him to leave the sport.

FuzzySkinner posted:

Indeed. I can see what they're getting at with the tournament-bracket format, it just doesn't really work all that well with 40 players in every game. But also I can see why the old points system wasn't the best. Ideal would be the old system but with wins much less weighted, maybe.

I'm betting on Danica to win the big five and the championship next year (and also figuratively grow a pair and do Double Duty).
(not toxx or even actual money, because I'm expecting to lose, but a man can dream.)

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Nov 21, 2016

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Krista also suggested Jimmie was the greatest driver to ever race on four wheels, which is probably accurate in a world in which Mario Andretti and Michael Schumacher never existed, to say the least

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
The correct two is Mario and AJ, loving Schumacher only won in F1 and is a plebe by comparison.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Schumacher was an above average F1 champion at best, to include him in a group with Andretti is laughable.

FuzzySkinner posted:

I think it's a bit more complicated than JJ winning the amount of titles he's won. Jeff was on a similar level and NASCAR experienced the highest level of growth a racing series has ever seen.

I don't think the English language has the words to describe just how little Jimmie's success has to do with NASCAR's ratings problems.

wicka fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Nov 21, 2016

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

CBJSprague24 posted:

Where's that Chase format randomizer so we can figure out what next year's format will be?

Double points finale in a desert dictatorship

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Delivery McGee posted:

Thousand feet, nowadays. They were getting too fast and one of the legendary drivers died, so Top Fuel is on a shorter track now. But even if the engine did blow up at half a mile, they could probably take some class records coasting through the traps.

Edit: can a Cup engine last more than 600 miles, if not flat-out? I'm imagining the most ridiculous street car. take a Cup car, put proper lights and windshield wipers on...

Didn't Dale Sr. only win Daytona once? And finished 6th in his last attempt?

Nice retirement party for Smoke, though. Kinda disappointed his boys didn't pull through and get him at least an owner's championship for his final season, but ce la guerre.

I can't imagine Dale Sr. ever retiring, pretty sure dying on the track was the best/only way for him to leave the sport.

Indeed. I can see what they're getting at with the tournament-bracket format, it just doesn't really work all that well with 40 players in every game. But also I can see why the old points system wasn't the best. Ideal would be the old system but with wins much less weighted, maybe.

I'm betting on Danica to win the big five and the championship next year (and also figuratively grow a pair and do Double Duty).
(not toxx or even actual money, because I'm expecting to lose, but a man can dream.)

Dale was scored 12th in his final Daytona 500.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

FuzzySkinner posted:

What they could do is give double points to the Daytona 500, Talladega race 1, Brickyard 400, Coke 600, and Southern 500. All of those races are pre-chase. One thing that I think NASCAR could do, and a lot of purists will be pissy about this, but drop a couple of the 2nd time around at a track and replace them with road courses. gently caress, have a road course in the chase first round.

Also, tracks that have two races. Courses marked with a *X have a race in the Chase with the X being the round in the current format:
-Daytona
-Phoenix *8
-Martinsville *8
-Texas *8
-Bristol
-Richmond
-Talladega *12
-Kansas *12
-Dover *16
-Charlotte *12 (also the All-Star "Race")
-Pocono
-Michigan
-New Hampshire *16

The only tracks to only host a chase race are Chicagoland (Round of 16) and Miami (Championship). The other 8 are all repeats.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

exploded mummy posted:

Dale was scored 12th in his final Daytona 500.

2016 Fans: "Dying shouldn't excuse you from the 100% rule." :goonsay:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Actually gently caress it. NASCAR should go full on GT4 spec and only use US cars with one foreign manufacturer :getin:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Michael Schumacher and early-2000s Ferrari made F1 permanently irredeemable.

I still want to know why NASCAR was quick to throw the caution for a flat tire on the 32 yet waited most of a lap to put it out for Stenhouse having slammed the wall. (e- Even Leigh Diffey on NBCSN said "Caution is out....no? No caution? :confused:") Closest thing I've seen to "let's set this up juuuuuuust right" since Talladega last Fall and "That wasn't a restart".

wicka posted:

I don't think the English language has the words to describe just how little Jimmie's success has to do with NASCAR's ratings problems.

One driver having absolutely annihilated NASCAR's system(s) meant to make more thrilling title hunts by winning seven of the last eleven titles (and 7/13 in which it's been offered) can't be helping.

e- It doesn't help that the dominant driver has the personality of a wet dishrag. To be fair, if it were Stewart/Junyer/maybe Gordon, people probably wouldn't be complaining, while if it were Kyle, they'd probably be even madder.

iospace posted:

What they could do is give double points to the Daytona 500, Talladega race 1, Brickyard 400, Coke 600, and Southern 500. All of those races are pre-chase. One thing that I think NASCAR could do, and a lot of purists will be pissy about this, but drop a couple of the 2nd time around at a track and replace them with road courses. gently caress, have a road course in the chase first round.

Points really don't matter in this system because a win almost guarantees a Chase berth so long as one is in the Top 30. Now counting those races for double win credit? That might work.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Nov 21, 2016

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

CBJSprague24 posted:

Points really don't matter in this system because a win almost guarantees a Chase berth so long as one is in the Top 30. Now counting those races for double win credit? That might work.

How exactly would double win credit work here if it's "win one and you're in" for the most part?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

A GIF History of The Chase:

https://twitter.com/NASCAR/status/800715540671107072

iospace posted:

How exactly would double win credit work here if it's "win one and you're in" for the most part?

Chase seeding is done by number of wins.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

I still want to know why NASCAR was quick to throw the caution for a flat tire on the 32 yet waited most of a lap to put it out for Stenhouse having slammed the wall. (e- Even Leigh Diffey on NBCSN said "Caution is out....no? No caution? :confused:") Closest thing I've seen to "let's set this up juuuuuuust right" since Talladega last Fall and "That wasn't a restart".

They almost never need to throw a caution when they do, they just do it to contrive drama (duh). There's been several times in the past when the racing was so good that NASCAR suddenly turned into a reasonable organization and held off on throwing the yellow for a minor spin or flat tire.

CBJSprague24 posted:

One driver having absolutely annihilated NASCAR's system(s) meant to make more thrilling title hunts by winning seven of the last eleven titles (and 7/13 in which it's been offered) can't be helping.

It's sure as poo poo not the cause, though.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Some more hot takes/spitballing:
-Eldora for all levels.
-Allow Xfinity drivers to race in Sprint, but not vice versa. I have no problem with crossover for Trucks given the differences in cars.
-Expand the field for marque races, namely the Daytona 500.
-Trash the Chase, completely.

And as said prior, reduce some of the repeat races and maybe add more road courses. Also, doesn't New Hampshire have a road course configuration? I know LeMons races there.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

There's no way they get rid of the Chase when it's so insanely effective at creating drama.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

The Chase is the anchor weighing this sinking ship down and you better be drat sure that they're going to cling to it until NASCAR is dead.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The time to abandon the Chase would've either been 2007 or 2010 when they could've said "Well, Junyer hasn't made this two out of three years and we've had stars miss each year so this isn't working like we'd have liked it to" or "One guy almost won the title in nine races in '09 and has won most of them, so this isn't working like we'd have liked it to".

It's not going anywhere, though it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Chase v5.0 next year with some sort of regular season champion recognition and/or first-round bye.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

But real talk right now: NASCAR has an image issue, and it has nothing to do with the on-track product.

Brian France was pretty open about his support of Trump. Some big name racers supported him, and there was the Trump truck. NASCAR has long had the image of being for rednecks, brought to you by rednecks, and filled with redneck drivers. I think partially why the Jeff Gordon years were so popular was because suddenly you have this northerner who isn't one of the good ol' southern boys not only winning, but winning constantly. This was also helped by CART completely falling apart in the 90s.

Now the whole Southern Boy image has come roaring back, and it definitely turns people off. A Mexican winning Xfinity is a glorious double barreled middle finger to France though :getin:

The other thing is racing as a whole is on a downswing, and that could be for a multitude of reasons which could be argued till the cows come home.

e: I'm talking top level, big name series here being on a downswing compared to their glory years. IndyCar, F1, and NASCAR all are running into problems with attendance, though Indy's have been around for longer than the other two's. F1 has the added problem of on track product sucking right now if you're not driving a Mercedes (though that's for the Worst Thread), and NASCAR is trying really, really hard to recapture that lightning in a bottle it had in the 90s to the early 2000s.

iospace fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Nov 21, 2016

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Isn't motorsport viewership down as a whole? Pretty sure Jimmy Johnson doesn't have poo poo to do with that.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

iospace posted:

But real talk right now: NASCAR has an image issue, and it has nothing to do with the on-track product.

Brian France was pretty open about his support of Trump. Some big name racers supported him, and there was the Trump truck. NASCAR has long had the image of being for rednecks, brought to you by rednecks, and filled with redneck drivers. I think partially why the Jeff Gordon years were so popular was because suddenly you have this northerner who isn't one of the good ol' southern boys not only winning, but winning constantly. This was also helped by CART completely falling apart in the 90s.

Now the whole Southern Boy image has come roaring back, and it definitely turns people off. A Mexican winning Xfinity is a glorious double barreled middle finger to France though :getin:

The other thing is racing as a whole is on a downswing, and that could be for a multitude of reasons which could be argued till the cows come home.

Everything about the product in terms of racing quality and the Chase is also completely bleeding viewers from the traditional crowd, too. So nobody wins.

And Suarez winning is everything NASCAR wants, because they can point to him and say "look we're not racist!"

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Norns posted:

Isn't motorsport viewership down as a whole? Pretty sure Jimmy Johnson doesn't have poo poo to do with that.

Pretty much. I mean, the Indy 500 was pretty much the race everyone and their mother would watch, and while it still has massive in person attendance, TV viewers have dropped. They had problems even getting the traditional 33 cars this year.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

kidcoelacanth posted:

And Suarez winning is everything NASCAR wants, because they can point to him and say "look we're not racist!"

Sort of to a point. They tried asking France about him winning and his views on Trump, and France ran faster than a Top Fuel car.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

I think you're half right. That "Southern Boy" image is what built NASCAR's original core audience, and the opposite of that (e.g. Gordon) coincided with the explosive growth in the 90s that led NASCAR to the level of success they're used to today. But I think they're wrong to assume that drivers like Gordon are directly responsible for that. The reality is that virtually all spectator sports grew massively in the 90s, and it helped to have basically no competition in top-level American motorsport. What they should be doing now is doubling down on their core audience, but that requires accepting that the sport must shrink in the short-term in order to maintain long-term success. No one is self-aware enough to do this, so they're just going to keep trying to recapture that broad, casual audience that they probably can't recapture, and it doing so they'll alienate their oldest fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

iospace posted:

Sort of to a point. They tried asking France about him winning and his views on Trump, and France ran faster than a Top Fuel car.

Right. That's all they have to do now. Talk about how proud they are of their Mexican champion, push him as a huge upcoming star, and they're exonerated for being lovely. It's great for Daniel but it's a huge win for NASCAR getting off scott-free.

Incidentally, NASCAR is now Scott-free. I wonder who takes the 44 next year.

• Locked thread