Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

lifts cats over head posted:

The more I think about it the more I think the techs are also hosts. There are subtle hints to the possibility but I just think from a business standpoint it would make sense to just have hosts do the grunt work jobs.

I like to imagine that they are unpaid interns and the real world is a crushing capitalistic hellscape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

What if MiB = Arnold. Arnold got killed and Ford replaced him with a host and sent him back into the world so nobody would realize. A stakeholder in the park he controls. He has been going to the park for 30 years so Ford can keep up with his programming and aging. The maze quest he is on is Ford either loving with him or trying to push him towards full sentience so he can have his old buddy back.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
I like the idea brought up already that Felix is a host and now sees Maeve as human and can't kill her. Obviously having him be a human with the same feelings wouldn't be much different but I think it would sit better with people. It would also jive with Silvestre's embryo quip which brings up Brave New World with all the Ford trappings that has.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Escobarbarian posted:

How do people who think anyone who could possibly believe the two timelines theory is a dumb piece of poo poo or whatever explain MiB recognising the host who introduced William to the park? Would be nice for someone to acknowledge that instead of just acting all arrogant.

efb kinda

Ford repurposed a lot of hosts recently for his new storyline. Both Talulah and El Lazo are encountered by different people after playing their initial roles and being repurposed.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

JossiRossi posted:

The idea is that in the present she is retracing the steps she and William took in the past. There's been multiple times Dolores has seen flashes of scenes she is in where no one in around. Like at the river, she sees a body that looks like hers and freaks out a bit. Then she looks around and all the bodies and William are gone. The possibility (and I'd say even likelihood as I've started to come around to the idea) is that these flashes of empty scenes are the present interrupting her perfect memory re-experience of past experiences. What makes things confusing is that she is remembering William which was also a time her programming was hosed up and she was having problems knowing if she was in the present or not.

Dolores would be travelling alone in the present following the path she recalls of the time she was travelling with William following hints she recalls from when she was first brought online.
I could see that

Powershift posted:

Kind of a cop-out how they dance around the aliens theory. They could have pulled the head off minotaur bro to show he was the predator from predator.
That whole cult thing was p cool. I wonder if they are a narrative or if they are awaken bots trying to live a free life inside the park

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KoRMaK posted:

I could see that

That whole cult thing was p cool. I wonder if they are a narrative or if they are awaken bots trying to live a free life inside the park

Depending on how the bullets work, they might be bots that have covered themselves in human flesh as a body armor against the magic bullets.

Do the bullets penetrate based on sentience or flesh feel?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Powershift posted:

Depending on how the bullets work, they might be bots that have covered themselves in human flesh as a body armor against the magic bullets.

Gordon Shumway posted:

Guys, I think some of you are getting distracted from the really important question of how the bullets work.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

It's not really clear, is it? Do we give the showrunners poetic license to do things like that without explanation in the name of "that's cool" or does everything have to be really there?

This is the same for the times that Dolores sees herself. Is this a glitch or dream or memory or just something cool that they are showing us? Or is it that there really are two Dolores bots? Is part of the mind of Dolores taken from another bot that was combined with hers? Is there something in her programming to see herself instead of something she isn't supposed to see?

Personally I'd just say those are just neat things they want us to see given how hard it is to put them into a narrative that makes sense.

Anything that doesn't make sense, a wizard computer glitch did it

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Escobarbarian posted:

How do people who think anyone who could possibly believe the two timelines theory is a dumb piece of poo poo or whatever explain MiB recognising the host who introduced William to the park? Would be nice for someone to acknowledge that instead of just acting all arrogant.

efb kinda

He implies that she is a very old host and since he's been there a billion times it follows that he would recognize her

Especially since this is a new storyline and they explicitly state that they've retasked hosts from all around the park to be in it

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The brazenness of Maeve's jaunts around the repair center is ridiculous. I can buy the shift changes and things, but you'd think someone would notice a host holding a programming pad and actively messing with it. Surely they have cameras. P

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I mean poo poo build a security host team who never get tired and has the capacity to monitor for irregularities 24/7.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm glad Stubbs noticed Bernard was acting all weird. He seems like the least dickish person in the company right now.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I still can't understand why anyone doesn't believe the butcher's motivations. One guy wants to genuinely help a conscious person to be free, the other's a fuckwit who got his throat slashed. Seems pretty clear and simple, why would you brick her?

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Wyatt and his cult are Ford's story line. We know because he gave Teddy a backstory that put him as one of Wyatt's men. That's why Wyatt's men know Teddy and want him back. They aren't Guests acting nutty or Hosts loose in the park being all crazy. Ford made a cult and made them all like level 99. That's all.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Powershift posted:

This has not been explained, and it may never be. My guess is that they are something like rubber bullets, but the hosts bodies are built to respond to the impact with an exaggerated effect (explosive charges under the skin for example) In truth, the why isn't all that important. We know that nothing is stopping a host from stabbing or bashing a guest beyond their programing, but they are allowed to shoot guests freely because the rounds won't maim or kill. Makes one wonder about what PVP would be like in game.

D-Pad posted:

What if MiB = Arnold. Arnold got killed and Ford replaced him with a host and sent him back into the world so nobody would realize. A stakeholder in the park he controls. He has been going to the park for 30 years so Ford can keep up with his programming and aging. The maze quest he is on is Ford either loving with him or trying to push him towards full sentience so he can have his old buddy back.

There are no written records of Arnold, nobody outside of Ford seems to know who he was exactly, just that he was instrumental in building the park.

I don't think Arnold was ever a human being, he was likely a host given agency over his own code much as Maeve has been given, early in the park's history and Ford used him to create a more authentic consciousness for the hosts.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Codependent Poster posted:

I'm glad Stubbs noticed Bernard was acting all weird. He seems like the least dickish person in the company right now.

it's funny because I had Stubbs pegged as the "employee who is actually a robot."

I hated the MiB monologue about his stupid loving family, I wanted a little more to him than that. I don't even give a gently caress about if he's William now but I thought the 2 timeline thing made sense based on how quick El Lazo would have to be repurposed, going from some poor villager to crime boss was a little too much.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Democratic Pirate posted:

I mean poo poo build a security host team who never get tired and has the capacity to monitor for irregularities 24/7.

And then have an AI program made by Arnold awaken a host and program the rest of the hosts not to see her as she wheels down the hall. With humans you can claim incompetence and with hosts you can claim ghost code.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Ford doesn't actually care about being a god, he just likes getting rich off all the paychecks that go to host-employees.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Codependent Poster posted:

Ford is going to be undone because he underestimates actual human beings.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

You are becoming hysterical.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
just wanna say to everyone that poo poo talked me for being the first one on the MIB=William, 2 timelines and Bernarnold/Bernandroid theories;

suck my fuckin rear end

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Paulocaust posted:

just wanna say to everyone that poo poo talked me for being the first one on the MIB=William, 2 timelines and Bernarnold/Bernandroid theories;

suck my fuckin rear end

How's that head doin champ?

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Quick Draw McGraw posted:

How's that head doin champ?

the assssss

suck it

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Paulocaust posted:

suck my fuckin rear end

uh.. those have all been proven false though

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Paulocaust posted:

the assssss

suck it

Reported.

Enjoy your ban

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

uh.. those have all been proven false though

MIB ain't proven to be William yet but if the host that first greeted William being a different character in the MiB/Teddy storyline (not to mention he recognizes her and remarks that she's been repurposed) wasn't a dead giveaway for the 2 timelines then I don't know what is. Also Bernard isn't a robot? Wow, I must really be watching this show the wrong way.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Reported.

Enjoy your ban

Ahahahahaha look at my rap sheet and ask me if I care you peon gently caress

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

MinibarMatchman posted:

it's funny because I had Stubbs pegged as the "employee who is actually a robot."

I hated the MiB monologue about his stupid loving family, I wanted a little more to him than that. I don't even give a gently caress about if he's William now but I thought the 2 timeline thing made sense based on how quick El Lazo would have to be repurposed, going from some poor villager to crime boss was a little too much.

Yea, that was...

I mean, lol that his daughter says he's a bad guy even though he never really did anything bad in real life. That would be like having your GTA history used against you. Or your SA history

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

And then have an AI program made by Arnold awaken a host and program the rest of the hosts not to see her as she wheels down the hall. With humans you can claim incompetence and with hosts you can claim ghost code.

That's a good point. Hopefully the next episode fully breaks Maeve's story from the current loop of:

Sylvester: We seriously can't do this
Felix: But we can't hurt her
Maeve: You'll do this or I'll shank/expose you
Sylvester: Okay Felix then you do it

I like the ideas of loosely connected human errors adding up to a critical failure - lately the only humans involved with Maeve have been Felix and Sylvester. Since Maeve owns them entirely, her story hasn't been all that interesting to me.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
There are two timelines. In one timeline I'm watching a show starring Ed Harris, Anthony Hopkins and Jeffrey Wright and it's just wonderful. In the other timeline I'm having to sit through near-unwatchable garbage. Unfortunately these timelines are constantly intersecting and it's impossible to separate them.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

imagine four time lines on the edge of a cliff...

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

ozmunkeh posted:

There are two timelines. In one timeline I'm watching a show starring Ed Harris, Anthony Hopkins and Jeffrey Wright and it's just wonderful. In the other timeline I'm having to sit through near-unwatchable garbage. Unfortunately these timelines are constantly intersecting and it's impossible to separate them.

Good actors barely saving (or failing to save) bad writing is pretty much every Nolan project

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

JossiRossi posted:

Dolores would be travelling alone in the present following the path she recalls of the time she was travelling with William following hints she recalls from when she was first brought online.

This seems the most likely outcome to me at this point, given William disappearing during Delores' panic by the river, and MiB's recognizing the introduction host.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

That's a good point. Hopefully the next episode fully breaks Maeve's story from the current loop of:

Sylvester: We seriously can't do this
Felix: But we can't hurt her
Maeve: You'll do this or I'll shank/expose you
Sylvester: Okay Felix then you do it

I like the ideas of loosely connected human errors adding up to a critical failure - lately the only humans involved with Maeve have been Felix and Sylvester. Since Maeve owns them entirely, her story hasn't been all that interesting to me.

I'm hoping they're done with that and, going forward (depending on how her stint in Behavior shakes out), we get more of Maeve having fun with console commands. Season finale: she Googles the global turn-off-ai console command and everyone in the entire show but her shuts down.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
One thing I'm wondering about, is what's going to set off when Maeve encounters MiB now. Iirc, she basically said "no the memories don't matter because they were fake," but MiB was real. When she sees him the next time how fast is he going to end up bleeding out?

Also has anybody mentioned how weird it is that the devices used for fixing hosts work just as well on humans? That has some crazy implications as to why the hosts don't have power sources, and how close to human they might be. And Beardy Tech didn't get a huge scar or something like I was expecting, he's just completely healed minus a little bloodloss.

Maybe the medical implications are more valuable than the park and its code, if it's not commonly used outside the park and some kind of trade secret.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Good actors barely saving (or failing to save) bad writing is pretty much every Nolan project

The Maeve storyline was intriguing at first but has since become some weird pastiche of Weird Science meets Dumb and Dumber. Maeve's "subtle manipulation" essentially consists of giving the techs menacing stares while delivering evil villain monologues and their reaction is to accede to her demands each and every time despite having an easy out at each step. Felix and Sylvester are cats, you guys, they're domesticated animals - pets even - but they're being ever so curious, you guys, I wonder how many lives they have left.. look how clever we are. gently caress off with this bullshit and give me more Anthony Hopkins.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I don't think there's any implications to the medical devices at all- We know it's all future tech, and the hosts are biologically human, there's no reason to think that certain devices would only work on them.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

coyo7e posted:

Also has anybody mentioned how weird it is that the devices used for fixing hosts work just as well on humans? That has some crazy implications as to why the hosts don't have power sources, and how close to human they might be. And Beardy Tech didn't get a huge scar or something like I was expecting, he's just completely healed minus a little bloodloss.

Maybe the medical implications are more valuable than the park and its code, if it's not commonly used outside the park and some kind of trade secret.

Nah man, it confirms that at least Sylv is a bot and he is def not even a 14.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

IMB posted:

Yeah, anyone who thinks they re-shot part of this show to troll reddit isn't exactly playing with a full deck.

Whoops, sorry. I thought they were filming as they were going. Winks to the timeline thing doesn't have to be in response to fan reactions, as they are very very clearly alluding to it very frequently.

I'm not saying that the MiB recognizing the greeting host is 100% proof of the time thing being correct, I'm saying it's 100% proof that the creators are aware of it and dropping a clue of it to the audience. If anyone can't see that, watch the show with captions on and stop being a dummy who misses the obvious.

He implies that she is a very old host and since he's been there a billion times it follows that he would recognize her

Especially since this is a new storyline and they explicitly state that they've retasked hosts from all around the park to be in it
Yeah but that applies to just about every host in that storyline. Even ones we aren't familiar with it yet but the MiB is. It being her, specifically, is like a direct allusion to the timecube (if true) or misdirection pointing to it (if false).

Ashrik fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

Gwaihir posted:

I don't think there's any implications to the medical devices at all- We know it's all future tech, and the hosts are biologically human, there's no reason to think that certain devices would only work on them.

"Hosts are biologically human" lol - somebody skipped a day in bio class

• Locked thread