Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

That one is easy. Because the Republicans are the law makers.
I really hope Ellison does focus on local and grass roots because political power is from the ground up. Presidency means so little if you have nothing else.

We never needed an act of congress to reschedule Marijuana.

This was Obama not wanting to upset the private prison lobby, who donate plenty to the Democratic party just like they do the Republicans. Or the police unions. Or the drug companies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Obama was America's First Concessions Only President

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I skipped a bunch of pages of Tatum being stupid and attacking the same old strawmen because they are incapable of understanding anything people says.

Did I miss anything of value? New meeting dates or writeups or anything?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Well I've still had no luck getting the Georgia Democrats to email me back. I think I'm just gonna go down the line and email everybody until I get someone to respond. Failing that I have no idea what to do.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Mirthless posted:

This was Obama not wanting to upset the private prison lobby, who donate plenty to the Democratic party just like they do the Republicans. Or the police unions. Or the drug companies.

Donor reliance is a symptom of that top down strategy. But yeah Obama tried to not rock the boat too much, look at what it's gotten him.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Mirthless posted:

Tbf decriminalization and legalization aren't exactly the same thing. Setting up a system of proper regulations for the legal sale of weed would in fact require an act of congress (or failing that a referendum forcing an act of congress to occur by a deadline, see the states that legalized this year)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Serf posted:

Well I've still had no luck getting the Georgia Democrats to email me back. I think I'm just gonna go down the line and email everybody until I get someone to respond. Failing that I have no idea what to do.

I will put Georia on my list for trying to find out info. Where are you exactly?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Serf posted:

considering how many people I've seen talking about not being able to reach their dem party branches, maybe it's time to actually form a leftist tea-party to help people find this kind of stuff and help take over the dems

the tea party sure seems to have had a good amount of success

Serf
May 5, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

I will put Georia on my list for trying to find out info. Where are you exactly?

Candler County. Last time I checked the website, we don't even have a County Committee.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Condiv posted:

the tea party sure seems to have had a good amount of success

They were astroturfed

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

loquacius posted:

Tbf decriminalization and legalization aren't exactly the same thing. Setting up a system of proper regulations for the legal sale of weed would in fact require an act of congress (or failing that a referendum forcing an act of congress to occur by a deadline, see the states that legalized this year)

Nearly anything would have been better than what he did, which was "nothing".

Decriminalization relatively early on in his administration would have kept plenty of people out of prison, thrown red meat to his base, and given him something to use against charges that he's not invested in reducing the debt. Instead, he decided the cash flow to the DNC was more important than that. He never pushed the boundaries of his office while his opponents accused him of executive overreach for everything he did. Bush never cared about it, he got his agenda done, and YES, he was a lovely president, but did that matter long term for the GOP? Clearly not! Obama might have turned out to be A Bad President if he'd taken some risks and wrenched the arm of his party when he needed to get poo poo done, but he might not have! But I can tell you what, once Trump gets done taking the pen to Obama's legacy, Obama's eight passive years of "governing" aren't going to be remembered much at all, and what will be remembered won't be remembered favorably. Once the context of this decade fades, he'll be remembered as a do-nothing president who failed to control his country, ballooned government spending, spearheaded poorly received and disastrously executed policies, ultimately had the majority of his legislation repealed, and was so weak that he ended up being the first president to be denied his privilege to appoint a supreme court justice. "I might be a bad president!" vs "I will be one of the worst presidents, ever, if my predecessor is not a Democrat". Lol. GJ, Obama.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Mirthless posted:

Nearly anything would have been better than what he did, which was "nothing".

Decriminalization relatively early on in his administration would have kept plenty of people out of prison, thrown red meat to his base, and given him something to use against charges that he's not invested in reducing the debt. Instead, he decided the cash flow to the DNC was more important than that. He never pushed the boundaries of his office while his opponents accused him of executive overreach for everything he did. Bush never cared about it, he got his agenda done, and YES, he was a lovely president, but did that matter long term for the GOP? Clearly not! Obama might have turned out to be A Bad President if he'd taken some risks and wrenched the arm of his party when he needed to get poo poo done, but he might not have! But I can tell you what, once Trump gets done taking the pen to Obama's legacy, Obama's eight passive years of "governing" aren't going to be remembered much at all, and what will be remembered won't be remembered favorably. Once the context of this decade fades, he'll be remembered as a do-nothing president who failed to control his country, ballooned government spending, spearheaded poorly received and disastrously executed policies, ultimately had the majority of his legislation repealed, and was so weak that he ended up being the first president to be denied his privilege to appoint a supreme court justice. "I might be a bad president!" vs "I will be one of the worst presidents, ever, if my predecessor is not a Democrat". Lol. GJ, Obama.

not only that but his attorney general actually increased raids on dispensaries in several states and Obama did nothing to stop him lol.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Serf posted:

Candler County. Last time I checked the website, we don't even have a County Committee.

I've sent off a few e-mails to different local folks who might have info, which is probably what you would do anyway, but I suppose it doubles the chances of it being seen. The only guaranteed contact I've got is quite a ways away.

It looks like Candler county itself is very hardcore Republican, over 65%. The Democratic party presence probably does not exist. You could make it happen though!

The only public political "in" I can see isn't party related, but it looks like Metter itself holds public meetings once a month - probably not directly useful to you unless you live in the city limits, but if you're having trouble finding out who is even worth talking to to find out more info, it might be worthwhile to attend? Second Monday of each month at 7pm.

Wutang-Yutani CORP
Sep 25, 2005

CORPORATIONS
RULE
EVERYTHING
AROUND
ME

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

not only that but his attorney general actually increased raids on dispensaries in several states and Obama did nothing to stop him lol.

and did not prosecute the financiers who crashed the economy / banking system

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Dr. Arbitrary has issued a correction as of 15:59 on Nov 21, 2016

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Lactose Is Wack posted:

and did not prosecute the financiers who crashed the economy / banking system

They actually rewarded them lol

Some goons will say this was a good thing.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

The way Obama let his employees run all over him the entire time he was in office really disgusts me, lol

His "let's appoint a bunch of the opposition to somewhat important positions" strategy really didn't work out for him, lol. I doubt Trump's going to make that mistake.

Serf
May 5, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

I've sent off a few e-mails to different local folks who might have info, which is probably what you would do anyway, but I suppose it doubles the chances of it being seen. The only guaranteed contact I've got is quite a ways away.

It looks like Candler county itself is very hardcore Republican, over 65%. The Democratic party presence probably does not exist. You could make it happen though!

The only public political "in" I can see isn't party related, but it looks like Metter itself holds public meetings once a month - probably not directly useful to you unless you live in the city limits, but if you're having trouble finding out who is even worth talking to to find out more info, it might be worthwhile to attend? Second Monday of each month at 7pm.

Oh yeah, the party is basically nonexistent here. But that seems to be the place where you want to be if you want to actually have a chance of getting something done.

When I get home from work I'm gonna start sending out more emails. All I need to know is how to get official and I'll do the rest of it myself.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

i want to flip cyan/green and red/magenta here.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Condiv posted:

no, hillary specifically adopted a strategy to radicalize the right-wing:

https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/796222841612042240?lang=en

she wanted a captive electorate

So it turns out that Trump wasn't being pulled by the strings of Putin but...Hillary instead?

GlyphGryph posted:

I skipped a bunch of pages of Tatum being stupid and attacking the same old strawmen because they are incapable of understanding anything people says.

Did I miss anything of value? New meeting dates or writeups or anything?

Nothing.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Liberal Crime Squad

I'd love for a graphics based full package version of this game. It's sort of like a politically based Mother.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Condiv posted:

Was there anything done correctly by the DNC and the Hillary campaign? Besides hold fundraisers and raise money? Is this what the Democratic Party has become?

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

If possible, can we just run the exhumed corpse of William Jennings Bryan in the next election? But like, a non-racist version.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Was there anything done correctly by the DNC and the Hillary campaign? Besides hold fundraisers and raise money? Is this what the Democratic Party has become?

The Republican Party is an efficient machine designed to find the worst people on Earth and give them unimaginable power. Similarly, the Democratic Party is an efficient machine dedicated to obtaining the money of rich people and spending it.

Jon Irenicus posted:

If possible, can we just run the exhumed corpse of William Jennings Bryan in the next election? But like, a non-racist version.

You are advocating a man who literally died trying to keep evolution from being taught in schools

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

punk rebel ecks posted:

So it turns out that Trump wasn't being pulled by the strings of Putin but...Hillary instead?

She was hoping Trump would Todd Akin himself. Sadly that didn't work.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Jon Irenicus posted:

So you want us to run a guy who denied evolution and supported Prohibition?

I know he was a trust buster, too.

Nebraska politicians used to be cool.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
With those credentials, probably would've beat Trump

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Condiv posted:

Also the whole obama being a nigerian prince thing or what ever that trump latched onto before was also started by hillarys campaign when she was against obama.

turtle_07
Jun 13, 2003

Hear, hear!
NYC Goons:

I'm hosting a post election community meeting to talk about what we can all do at the local level to stop trump / push a more progressive agenda. Spoilers: I have no loving clue.

https://actionnetwork.org/events/astoria-post-election-community-meeting

Please don't trash my apartment.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

They were astroturfed

soros already gets called the leftist version of the koch brothers

time to step up your game, george

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

comingafteryouall posted:

So you want us to run a guy who denied evolution and supported Prohibition?

Huh, so do politicians stances on the issues suddenly matter again? We're already going backwards on social issues, let's go all the way.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Jon Irenicus posted:

We're already going backwards on social issues

which ones

also Bryan was way closer to Trump than Bernie on the populism scale

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The ghost of Eugene V. Debs is punching out his ethereal straw hat, like Ross Perot during the Kang & Kodos election.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Tatum Girlparts posted:

those are two very different guys though

Both better then who the DNC picked though.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The ghost of Eugene V. Debs is punching out his ethereal straw hat, like Ross Perot during the Kang & Kodos election.

I'd vote for the ghost of Joe Hill

Powercrazy posted:

Both better then who the DNC picked though.

What was so great about Webb, my impression of him was that he was a generic Blue Dog

(whereas Chafee was a well-meaning incompetent)

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

It begins:

quote:

Nov. 17 — Lawmakers in three states plan to introduce right-to-work bills in 2017 based on recent Republican election victories in Kentucky, Missouri and New Hampshire, a proponent of such laws said.

Economic development opportunities would expand significantly in those states if the bills become law, business leaders said.

“There are companies that will not even consider locating in a non-right-to-work state, especially companies in other countries,” Dave Adkisson, president and CEO of the Kentucky Chamber of Commerce, told Bloomberg BNA Nov. 17.

Well, at the very least my job is going to become much, much more difficult the next several years. :(

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

loquacius posted:

What was so great about Webb, my impression of him was that he was a generic Blue Dog

Webb is p much a dude with a knife saying "I'm gonna be president!" and nobody arguing with him.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Grey Fox posted:

Webb is p much a dude with a knife saying "I'm gonna be president!" and nobody arguing with him.

the voters argued with him p successfully

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Serf posted:

Oh yeah, the party is basically nonexistent here. But that seems to be the place where you want to be if you want to actually have a chance of getting something done.

When I get home from work I'm gonna start sending out more emails. All I need to know is how to get official and I'll do the rest of it myself.

Hey, I got some info!

Am talking to Bill Herring - he's the Democratic Chair for the 12th District. I've also been told you're welcome to attend Bulloch meetings in Statesboro if you want as well if we can't find anything in Candler.

Will work on getting more details. They actually seem pretty happy to hear from folks.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

loquacius posted:

I'd vote for the ghost of Joe Hill

he wasn't even a blue dog, he was just kinda a republican who said he wasn't. Typically a blue dog is expected to have at least a few Democratic policies and all.

But yea Chafee was a harmless generic D on near everything but his metric system boner who was kinda a dingus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Fulchrum posted:

Maybe you should have searched for a better example than the rein of terror.

The great leveling was a wonderful event for France.

• Locked thread