Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Finally got my Bagon, and of course I got it with a Perfect Capture. I wasted too much time to feel THAT good about it, but it is nice to have it done.

Also, thanks to Serebii I scooped up a bunch of Zygarde cells only to be told I need to go to Route 16 to use them...! Zydoggo will have to wait it seems. (Btw seriously I know it's this gen's gimmick but gently caress day/night cells)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Holy poo poo I actually found a shiny.

...it was a Petilil and its only useful moves until I unlock the move reminder are stun spore and giga drain but I don't care, she's queen of my team now. Long live Queen Lilligant. :colbert:

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I can't wait to transfer my shiny Metagross in January. :)

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Dr. Fetus posted:

It turns out the reason Kadabra doesn't learn Confusion upon evolving is because of a bug.

Basically what happens is if a Pokemon has less than 4 moves, and is supposed to learn a move upon evolving, the game prioritizes a level 0 move instead, which ends up doing stuff like screwing Kadabra out of Confusion.

This is confirmed false, by the way. My I deleted one of my Wingull's moves so it only had 3 moves. Hurricane is the first level 0 move it has, and Wingull learns Protect upon evolving into Pelipper at level 25. Hit 25, evolve into Pelipper, and learned Protect instead of Hurricane. I think it's more likely they hosed with Kadabra's movelist.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

aren't salandit supposed to be rare? I ran into two really fast and the second was a girl so I caught it

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Manatee Cannon posted:

aren't salandit supposed to be rare? I ran into two really fast and the second was a girl so I caught it

The Pokemon itself isn't but females are.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I have never been able to find an intuitive way to remember the type advantages/weaknesses of the Fairy type. Like, it just doesn't make sense to me what it's super effective/weak again. Anybody got an idea?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Vegetable posted:

I have never been able to find an intuitive way to remember the type advantages/weaknesses of the Fairy type. Like, it just doesn't make sense to me what it's super effective/weak again. Anybody got an idea?

mythological fey were easily killed by cold iron = steel weakness
fern gully = poison weakness

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Vegetable posted:

Weaknesses are easy, it's vulnerable to industry and pollution (Steel and Poison). And they can't do much if you set their house on fire (Fire resists Fairy).

e: also yeah, cold iron.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
So I just visited Ilma's house before going to the second island and I got an everstone? Are there any more possible missable events like that?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

fire trial was pretty good

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

The Pokemon itself isn't but females are.

ah ok. still pretty lucky but not as much as I figured

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Tired Moritz posted:

So I just visited Ilma's house before going to the second island and I got an everstone? Are there any more possible missable events like that?

I don't know, but to assuage your fears more generally, nothing would be missable because of an island transition. You can go back on a ferry, and you get the Fly Ride soon enough into the second island.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Where can I find Mallow? I thought she was supposed to be in her room during the day but I didn't see her there.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Brother Entropy posted:

mythological fey were easily killed by cold iron = steel weakness
fern gully = poison weakness

Now explain why it is super effective against fighting types. Seriously I found that out while fighting Hala and it threw me for a loop.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

huh, aether asks me to find a stufful and it's literally the first thing I find in the grass. the quick ball I threw at it instantly caught it as well. neat

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Electric Phantasm posted:

Now explain why it is super effective against fighting types.

Fighting > Dark for being more morally right, so maybe Fairy is even more holier-than-thou? :v:

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Now explain why it is super effective against fighting types. Seriously I found that out while fighting Hala and it threw me for a loop.
Fairies are small and tricksy and hard to hit. Apply "have you ever tried to punch a bird?" logic to them.

e: ultimately you can apply Doylist logic: Dragons, Dark and Fighting types were considered too strong, and Poison and Steel, while good defensively, didn't have much they could do on attack. Bug was getting annoying thanks to U-Turn, so Fairy resists it (without being strong against Bug itself), and I guess Fire needed another thing it could resist?

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Nov 21, 2016

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Much like trying to punch a bird, punching a fairy would meet with limited success.

(Yes I realize that's more about why they resist fighting but uh I guess they dodge punches and then poke them in the eyes)

spotlessd
Sep 8, 2016

by merry exmarx
Fighting type pokemon are heroic and chivalrous and they have a big crush on all Fairy types. That's why they pull their punches and drop their guard against them.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Dehry posted:

Kind of a story spoiler but being vague You will have the chance to get the other version exclusive in the post game, but in a way you might not expect.

I have a living dex so I'll still need to do it twice :smith:

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Now explain why it is super effective against fighting types.

Faerie glamour turns a Fighting-type's strength against itself?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

obviously it's like parents play fighting with their kids, you pretend they're hurting you and try not to hurt them

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

blizzardvizard posted:

Where can I find Mallow? I thought she was supposed to be in her room during the day but I didn't see her there.

According to Serebii, that battle's a Moon exclusive while Kiawe's a Sun exclusive. :shrug:

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!
Fighting is weak against Fairy, because Fairy is too girly for tough and manly Fighting-types to deal with. So, basically, fear of cooties.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Maybe next time don't build a team with such a crippling weakness to one of the most powerful attacking move type?

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Late game spoilers

First battle with Lusaminekjteianea

CLEFABLE USES METRONOME

CLEFABLE USES GEOMANCY

D:

CLEFABLE USES COSMIC POWER

D:

Sharparoni
Jan 11, 2004

THE MOST EXCITING MASCOT IN THE LAST 4000 YEARS OF COLLEGE SPORTS

My favorite random trainer to battle in Sun was (early Island 2 person) Sightseer Scotty, who gets all his information, including which Pokemon to use, from Internet recommendations. He only had a Rattata and realized he had been trolled by Poke-Yelp after I defeated him

Spoiled in case you wanted to find this pretty funny joke on your own.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Uber beasts just have the weirdest everything (design, statpools, movesets), it makes them seem like missingno style glitch mon.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

How Ingratiating! posted:

Fighting is weak against Fairy, because Fairy is too girly for tough and manly Fighting-types to deal with. So, basically, fear of cooties.

More like fear of cuties, daaaaawwwww :allears:

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah, that battle was fairly harsh. I got Metronome Blue Flare'd on, then in the turn it took to figure out that special attacks weren't going to work on it it threw up a cosmic power.

Threw up another in the switch and at that point it could moonlight away more damage than I could put on it. If I hadn't have gotten a lucky crit with Decidueye, that fight's first pokemon would have effectively shut down my whole team.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

ChaosArgate posted:

According to Serebii, that battle's a Moon exclusive while Kiawe's a Sun exclusive. :shrug:

:what:

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Are there notable performance hits if I play this on a regular 3ds instead of a New 3ds?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Charles Get-Out posted:

Are there notable performance hits if I play this on a regular 3ds instead of a New 3ds?

Abso-fuckin-lutely. I felt like my poor old 3DS was going to have a heart attack whenever I was doing a double, multi or battle royale.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Charles Get-Out posted:

Yes but you can still get through the battles. There will be a new 3DS for $100 on Black Friday, too.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

ChaosArgate posted:

Abso-fuckin-lutely. I felt like my poor old 3DS was going to have a heart attack whenever I was doing a double, multi or battle royale.

Well poo poo, I don't think I can justify the cost for just one game. Are we talking single-digit frames? Don't really wanna deal with that.

Agoat posted:

Yes but you can still get through the battles. There will be a new 3DS for $100 on Black Friday, too.

I just don't play enough 3ds to warrant a $100 premium.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Charles Get-Out posted:

Well poo poo, I don't think I can justify the cost for just one game. Are we talking single-digit frames? Don't really wanna deal with that.

It's really an insignificant portion of the game. Yeah, it happens, and it's noteworthy, but it's more of a nuisance than a dealbreaker.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

The fps takes a huge hit when pokemon call for reinforcements, which is all the loving time and I hate it.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

How do I get guests in my festival plaza that actually give me FC?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
There's also a noticeable difference in some load times on 3DS. It doesn't seem like much but the extra second or two of loading adds up. Nothing like Sonic 2006 though.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Check https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knzXlNFgtpA if you are worried.

Not worth buying a N3DS over imo. And if this is a deal breaker for someone for whatever reason probably just wait for the rumored switch version.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 21, 2016