Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

gradenko_2000 posted:

His real name is Teodoro. That gets shortened to Ted, or Teddy.

And then he's a Junior, as his father was also Teodoro, so you add the "-boy" because he's the younger one.

Teddyboy.

Ah, that explains it. I was thinking he was tied in with some crime syndicate under the "doth protest too much" assumption that Duterte's entire sphere of influence is a rack of criminals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I really wish Theodore Roosevelt would rise from the grave and demand his name back.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I kinda wish Teddy would've left us alone and picked another nation to use as his American colonial experiment, but here we are.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
So much for Duterte being the only openly pro-marriage equality candidate

quote:

President Rodrigo Duterte late Wednesday spoke out anew against the United States, this time saying that the passage of same-sex marriage laws seemed to indicate that the country has lost its principles.

Duterte went on a rant against the US after a question from reporter Jonathan Miller, the Asia correspondent of Britain's Channel 4 news, about the president's pronouncement about a "new order" with Russia and China.

Duterte spoke out about the US depriving its allies of arms, alluding anew to reports that the US State Department had canceled a purchase of the Philippine National Police of rifles from an American supplier.

He said there is a lot of pressure on the State Department "because of your multi-racial population."

"They have groups there. The LGBT, they go to State Department guys, and offer aid and assistance. But, they said, come out with the law that would allow same-sex marriages," Duterte said.

"What's happening? Where are the principles that the builders of America... they have lost along the way?"

Last year, the US Supreme Court handed down a landmark ruling allowing same-sex marriage for gay and lesbian couples nationwide.

Duterte has gone on regular tirades against the US over criticism of the increasing death toll of his administration's drug war. In the news conference, Duterte once again defended the government, saying not all deaths should be attributed to authorities.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Gays bribed the State Department into making same-sex marriage legal?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

So it seems that the line about same-sex marriage had a choice phrase about Liberia edited right out of the quote, which changes the meaning entirely. Apparently what he meant is that the US State Department only offers conditional aid, such as offering aid to Liberia in exchange for them legalizing gay marriage--which I'm willing to take that defense at face value, as it's a valid interpretation if you read the unedited quote.

However, that statement sounds dubious to me in a completely different way. I'm not well-informed enough on this, so can someone tell me: did this ever even happen? Maybe the US has offered conditional aid before, but I'm going to hazard a guess that they've never thrust a condition like "legalize gay marriage" on a country, and maybe just said something like "please don't persecute the gays"--which sounds like a reasonable request. Which would also mean that this may not be homophobic, but again is Duterte trying to invalidate criticisms of human rights violations in his own regime.

Argue fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Nov 24, 2016

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
They've said essentially that to a few African countries, if I recall correctly. Never explicitly, but the point gets across and the response has pretty much unanimously been "go gently caress yourself".

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
The giant rockets to move the Philippines off the coast of France should provide a lot of jobs at least

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
I don't think the effort was to get gay marriage legalized in African nations but to get them to stop arresting and brutalizing homosexuals.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I'll take Tone Deaf for $200, Alex.

(They are counterprotesting at today's anti-Marcos rallies)

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Argue posted:

You just know Duterte's media team is going to paint these idiots as the Magnificent Ten for standing up to the yellow hordes.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Argue posted:

Sooo.... they basically are equating Duterte with the corrupt and disgraced former dictator? And they're his supporters? :prepop:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

MrNemo posted:

Sooo.... they basically are equating Duterte with the corrupt and disgraced former dictator? And they're his supporters? :prepop:

Marcos apologia tends to run in the vein of Marcos being a "necessary authoritarian".

Martial Law was necessary in order to keep Communism at bay, and anyway he built a shitton of infrastructure so all the human rights abuses were "worth it" and besides I was personally never affected by Martial Law so I don't know what these people are getting so worked up about.

Also "it's just a 30 year old corpse why you gotta hate so much on the Marcoses just let it go"

Also "it's really the fault of the previous administrations for never passing a law to specifically forbid the burial of Marcos in the LNMB." A talking point that Duterte has directly espoused.

(astute readers will recognize Trump's argument of "why didn't you stop me?" when asked about his shady business practices)

So it's not supposed to be embarrassing or deplorable for Marcos and Duterte to be conflated

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Freedom of Information in the Philippines is off to a good start, with journalists being barred from covering the launch. Only government media permitted to cover the launch.

quote:

Talk about freedom of information.

Private media were not allowed by Malacañang to cover an event meant to signify the Duterte administration's commitment to transparency and free flow of information.

The event, the launch of the Freedom of Information (FOI) online portal and presentation of FOI manuals, took place at 3 pm on Friday, November 25, the day President Rodrigo Duterte's FOI executive order takes effect.

The rule barring private journalists from attending the event came as a surprise to Palace reporters since the day before, Communications Assistant Secretary Kris Ablan verbally invited them during a press conference.

But before the launch began, only government media, like Radio Television Malacañang (RTVM) and PTV were allowed inside the venue, Heroes Hall in Malacañang.

Communications Secretary Martin Andanar admitted to reporters after the event that even he was surprised that there were no private media in the room.

Talk about freedom of information.

Private media were not allowed by Malacañang to cover an event meant to signify the Duterte administration's commitment to transparency and free flow of information.

The event, the launch of the Freedom of Information (FOI) online portal and presentation of FOI manuals, took place at 3 pm on Friday, November 25, the day President Rodrigo Duterte's FOI executive order takes effect.

The rule barring private journalists from attending the event came as a surprise to Palace reporters since the day before, Communications Assistant Secretary Kris Ablan verbally invited them during a press conference.

But before the launch began, only government media, like Radio Television Malacañang (RTVM) and PTV were allowed inside the venue, Heroes Hall in Malacañang.

Communications Secretary Martin Andanar admitted to reporters after the event that even he was surprised that there were no private media in the room.

He found out later from his staff that Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea had given instructions for only government media to be present.

Andanar emphasized that there was "no malice" in Medialdea's instructions.

Communications Assistant Secretary Mia Reyes, herself a former reporter, told Rappler that the invitation extended to private media was likely a case of "miscommunication." – Rappler.com

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Argue posted:

However, that statement sounds dubious to me in a completely different way. I'm not well-informed enough on this, so can someone tell me: did this ever even happen? Maybe the US has offered conditional aid before, but I'm going to hazard a guess that they've never thrust a condition like "legalize gay marriage" on a country, and maybe just said something like "please don't persecute the gays"--which sounds like a reasonable request. Which would also mean that this may not be homophobic, but again is Duterte trying to invalidate criticisms of human rights violations in his own regime.
Uganda is a prominent example but usually they don't care to make demands other than "de-nationalize important government utilities, lower tariffs on American goods to kill your own industries"

Spacewolf posted:

They've said essentially that to a few African countries, if I recall correctly. Never explicitly, but the point gets across and the response has pretty much unanimously been "go gently caress yourself".
Yes, strangely these people seem to not take those orders really well~

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/848251/duterte-tells-law-graduates-how-he-spanks-female-cops

quote:

There are too many prohibitions in these “modern times,” President Rodrigo Duterte said on Saturday.

He said he is the kind of person who likes to joke around even with members of his female security staff, who he playfully spanks in the rear.

Mr. Duterte made the observation after saying in jest that San Beda College should have allowed female students during his time so that he would have done better in class, especially if the women were pretty.

“The problem in these modern times and the living past, everything is prohibited,” he said in a speech before San Beda law graduates.

He said he is a person who likes to joke around.

“Ako palabiro ako eh, pati mga babae na pulis pinaghahampas ko yan, yung pwet ginaganun ko, diyan sa Malacanang pag manit ulo ko, dala ko folder ko, isa ka pa. (I like to joke around. The police women, I spank them on their bottoms in Malacanang if I’m ill-tempered. I get my folder and tell them, you’re part of the problem),” he said, demonstrating how he spanks them with a folder.

He said western mores have gone too far.

“Wala na tuloy ang gana nang buhay natin (Our lives now are no longer fun),” he added.

But he said he is aware if sexual harassment is taking place.

everything is prohibited even fair trials

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
We don't have fun anymore because everything is prohibited, I said, as I liquidated a truckload of poor people for using drugs

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Money and credulity drive Duterte’s ‘keyboard army’

quote:

A YELLOW bill a day [translation: 500 pesos] motivates this so-called Dutertroll. Bert (not his real name) spends at least five hours on Facebook every day and earns as much as P500 for doing so.

The 25-year-old works in a branch of a well-known Internet café. He said he spends his free time switching between seven carefully fabricated anonymous Facebook accounts he specifically made for amplifying any kind of posts related to President Duterte.

“’[For some of the accounts, I use jejemon-speak to argue with people. Other times I try to appear like a decent, normal person - like if I was having a serious debate. I use different approaches so it's not obvious],” Bert said, looking over the café counter.

According to Urban Dictionary, a jejemon is “anyone with a low tolerance in correct punctuation, syntax and grammar.”

Bert said he has been taking up offers of being a “keyboard warrior,” or an “online fighter,” as Bert describes himself since he was 20. He said he was part of a group of “warriors for rent,” but refused to divulge more information regarding their numbers.

Bert said he doesn’t consider himself a “troll,” a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community.

ACCORDING to Bert, Internet trolls are too many to count.

“[Just know that there's a lot of us. There are many different groups],” Bert said. “[For me, sometimes I do it just for fun, because it's funny how people react. Especially when they think that the argument is serious, with a real person].”

Bert said the group he belongs to has been active since the 2010 elections, and was formerly tasked to campaign online for a different political party, where the majority of the winning candidates came from. However, a better offer came during this year’s elections, he said.

According to Bert, all he knew was the “job order” came from an avid supporter of Duterte, not from someone working within the political system.

Bert lowered his voice as a customer checked out from his station and paid at the counter.

“[All I know is, we were to told to make lots of noise and give the impression that people solidly support Duterte],” he said. “[Of course, we'd follow their there. Just a few comments and you earn something? That's good money].”

ASIDE from the spicy and colorful character of the President, another noticeable element in the Duterte administration is the presence of people like Bert, who are quite visible in the social-media space.

Critics of the administration labeled them as paid hacks ready to defend ferociously the tough-talking President against any form of criticism.

“If you are saying that there is a formal, organized and government-paid group that is financially compensated to take the cudgels for the Duterte administration, I am not aware of that,” said Edgardo Clemente, chairman of the group called Metro Manila Duterte Movement. “I think that most of those who defend the President in cyberspace are mostly individuals who believe in what President Duterte stands for. To assume that the most vocal ones are paid hacks completely misses the point, because it will lull the Duterte detractors that once the money tap is closed, the Duterte supporters will wither away.”

Clemente also believes the anti-Duterte group operating in cyberspace does not have a financial backer, but are composed mostly of professionals who worked gratis—for free—during the administration of President Benigno S. Aquino III.

CLEMENTE said his knowledge of the goings-on in the online social media comes from his experience as an administrator of the Facebook page of Mr. Aquino.

He mentioned there was a group of people who was called as the “Yellow Army,” in reference to the Aquino bloc’s political color.

“I know several of their members, some of whom are still active today against [Mr.] Duterte,” Clemente claims. “But they are mostly professionals and were never paid during the P-Noy administration nor are they paid today.”

He said the majority of the groups he formed and administered for Mr. Aquino were used in the plunder case against former President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo, the impeachment case against the late Supreme Court Chief Justice Renato Corona, and the plunder charges against Sens. Juan Ponce Enrile, Ramon Revilla Jr. and Jose Estrada.

Due to a falling out with a member of the Yellow Army, Clemente said he agreed to divide their group.

“These same groups were used for the [Manuel] Roxas presidential campaign and are also active in the current anti-Duterte sphere.”

According to Clemente, the members he got from those who bolted out of the Yellow Army are the ones actively defending Duterte in the social-media sphere.

He also claims to have managed to recruit millions of other members in the months before the 2016 presidential elections.

Clemente said he has offered the use of these members to key officials of the Duterte administration, “but they declined”.

He added that some group members may not be Filipino citizens or in the voting age of 18. Facebook admits members as young as 14 years old.

“There could [also] be duplications in people joining more than one of our [Facebook] groups.”

BERT said their group leader is a fortyish man who gives out assignments to people who are available.

No names are dropped, no employers are ever known, he said in Filipino. All we know is that if we keep the comments coming, the money comes in, too, he added.

Bert said he also has no information about his fellow trolls. He’s not certain regarding their identity or whether the accounts they are working under are made up, as well.

For most of us, this is all work. The money puts food on the table. The more accounts you have, the better, he added.

“[Ma'am, this is just a sideline for us. A little extra money, you know? I don't make a lot of money here at the shop. And I can only manage seven accounts at the same time].”

When asked about how he manages to argue all day, he said he doesn’t have to make sense all the time. Bert said he just has to support Duterte and continuously bash the Liberal Party. He said he reads articles from time to time to get information on current events to make some of his fake accounts’ discourse more believable.

“[It’s easy to sway people on Facebook. We’ve proven it].”

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So was this guy's war on drugs policies actually effective and curtail the drug problem or is it a case of "correlation =/ causation"?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
It's only been a year and three thousand or so extra juducial killings, give him a chance.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Throatwarbler posted:

It's only been a year and three thousand or so extra juducial killings, give him a chance.

Wasn't he in charge of a district with a huge drug problem before?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

punk rebel ecks posted:

Yep. Davao City in Mindanao to be exact. And speaking of which, does Duterte have a vendetta against Muslims and/or insurgents in Mindanao/Sulu?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

punk rebel ecks posted:

So was this guy's war on drugs policies actually effective and curtail the drug problem or is it a case of "correlation =/ causation"?

punk rebel ecks posted:

Duterte was Mayor of Davao City from 1988 to 1998, then he became Congressman of Davao City's 1st District from 1998 to 2001 (just to avoid term limits on being Mayor), then he became Mayor again from 2001 to 2010, then he became Vice Mayor from 2010 to 2013 (again to avoid consecutive term limits), then he was Mayor again from 2013 to 2016, then he became President (and his daughter is the current Mayor of Davao).

Duterte's measures were effective in making Davao "peaceful" in the same sense as Tacitus's "they make a desert and call it peace".

There's a strict evening curfew for children, public smoking is banned, public alcoholism is banned, and all of this is done under the specter of the use of violent force. There was an incident in 2015 of a tourist that was smoking inside a restaurant. So the story goes that Duterte goes to the restaurant himself, and threatens the man with his revolver: either eat the cigarette butt, or I'll shoot your balls off and then send you to jail. Supposedly the man backed down and ate the butt.

And that was popularized by people clamoring for Duterte to throw his hat into the ring as an example of the kind of decisive, take-action leadership that the Philippines would get under Duterte.

Of course, the other side of this peace in Mindanao are the Davao Death Squads, which are used to kill off criminal elements, intimidate (or also kill) political opponents, and intimidate (or also kill) journalists who are critical of the Davao machinery. Tuning into the AM radio in Davao these days will only ever get you fawning approval of City Hall.

So Duterte was an effective Mayor of Davao in the same way that Richard J. Daley was an effective Mayor of Chicago (except Duterte would have enforced the 1968 DNC with guns instead of billy clubs).

Grouchio posted:

Yep. Davao City in Mindanao to be exact. And speaking of which, does Duterte have a vendetta against Muslims and/or insurgents in Mindanao/Sulu?

Duterte has a complicated relationship with these groups. As Mayor, he would pay off Communist insurgents in and around his city rather than try to suppress them with military force, under the rationale that that was an easier and more effective way of keeping the peace. This has come under criticism as essentially allowing the Commies to run a protection racket at the city's expense.

As President, he's engaged the Communists in substantive peace talks. This continues to be controversial, as the mindset of most Filipinos with regards to Communism is still very much stuck in 1950's "Better Dead Than Red".

(and for people who actually believe in leftism, few as they are, it also represents the Communist party being sell-outs to a right-wing authoritarian. Duterte is a self-professed Socialist, but the only leftism he has displayed IRL is "I don't shoot Commies on sight". His social and economic policies are completely right-of-center)

With Muslims, it's similarly complicated: As a Davao native, he is outwardly far more tolerant and friendly to the Muslim community, but he still takes a hard-line stance against the Abu Sayyaf terrorist group and frequently adopts his "tough guy" image when talking about dealing with them sans kid gloves. He hasn't spoken about any explicitly discriminatory policies against Muslims in the name of stopping terrorism, and instead conflates terrorism with the Drug War and general lawlessness to buff up his case about the need for more restrictions on civil liberties.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So he actually did manage to stop his district's drug problem?

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->
Did popping my boils cure my bubonic plague?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

punk rebel ecks posted:

So he actually did manage to stop his district's drug problem?
No.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Throatwarbler posted:

*less than 5 months
*five thousand plus

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

This is more dumb than anything that I feel could be a serious threat, but one of the popular Philippine news websites, Rappler, has a "mood meter" feature so that readers can indicate how they're feeling. A congressman wants to have a congressional investigation into how the mood meter works, in order to mitigate bias in media.

http://www.rappler.com/nation/153885-belaro-wants-rappler-mood-meter-probe-bilibid-drugs-hearing

quote:

“I am especially worried by certain features of some online news sites which have controlled mechanisms for feedback from the public as they are susceptible to manipulation by certain interest groups. Some of these online sites have portions for posting feedbacks, but when one tries to post one, they will only accept those which suit their agenda,” said Belaro.

“Or some of these online sites have features for mood meters – i.e. happy, sad, angry, but if you try to post any of your reaction, it remains unchanged. I believe a congressional investigation is in order to prevent these online sites from peddling opinions which only suit their interest,” he added.

Belaro was referring to the mood meter feature on the Rappler website, which allows readers to click the emotion a particular story makes them feel.

During the hearing on November 24, Belaro had asked Dayan questions like “Mahilig ka ba sa sili? (Are you fond of chili pepper?)” and “Kailan kayo nag-climax? (When did you climax?)” to establish how deep Dayan’s with De Lima, former justice secretary.

This is one of the men who, during their investigation of Leila De Lima, asked her several questions about her sex life, as you can see in that article.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
You left out the best part!

quote:

‘Climax question is not sexual’

Belaro also defended his “climax” question to Dayan, explaining that the said query followed a set of questions that focused on what Dayan did for De Lima from 2007 to 2014.

“Clearly, the context of the ‘climax’ question is a specific year, not the sexual act which my detractors would like to make it appear. It is my detractors who are inputting malice in the word ‘climax’ as climax by itself is a neutral word,” said Belaro.

He called it “unfortunate” that the Rappler article supposedly “slanted its presentation that we encourage sexism, disrespect for women, and display the most callous manifestation of gender insensitivity.”

“We are investigating the honorable Senator De Lima not because she is a woman but because she happens to be the sitting secretary of justice at the time when the drug trade is at its highest point,” said Belaro.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

quote:

“The human rights (defenders) said I ordered the killings. I told them ‘OK. Let’s stop. We’ll let them (drug users) multiply so that when it’s harvest time, more people will die,” the President said at the inaugural switch-on of a coal-fired power plant.

“I will include you because you are the reason why their numbers swell,” he said in Filipino.

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/848933/duterte-threatens-to-kill-human-rights-activists-if-drug-problem-worsens

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWDAw2nsIjw

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
So much easier to just kill drug addicts than attempt to fix the socio-economic factors that contribute to addict!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

In line with current events, can someone upload that video I saw once where Imelda Marcos starts explaining this insane theory about binary code and how it's the key to enlightenment? I'm serious it was loving insane; she was using ones and zeroes to draw people and trees and explaining that this was some kind of grand unifying theory of the universe and how it's a "portal to peace" or whatever.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
http://cnnphilippines.com/news/2016/11/28/ied-found-near-united-states-embassy-in-manila.html
http://www.sunstar.com.ph/manila/local-news/2016/11/28/manila-police-detonate-suspected-bomb-near-us-embassy-512025

On Monday, Nov 28, an IED was found near the US Embassy in Manila. A police cordon was put up, and it was detonated by the police's bomb squad, resulting in zero harm to the public.

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/manila/local-news/2016/12/01/2-suspects-confess-planting-ied-near-us-embassy-512649
http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/590806/news/nation/two-suspects-admit-to-planting-ied-near-us-embassy-pnp-chief

By Thursday, Dec 1, the police had two suspects in custody. The critical part of the exchange when these suspects were displayed to the public was the PNP Chief admitting that the suspects were interrogated without a lawyer present:

quote:

Dela Rosa said the suspects made the admission without a lawyer. He even said the suspects should look for their own lawyer. "[They were already plotting to kill innocent people and you expect me find a lawyer to defend them?]," he asked.

http://interaksyon.com/article/134834/terror-alert-level-3-up-over-country---dela-rosa
http://cnnphilippines.com/news/2016/12/01/PNP-Bato-terror-threat.html
http://news.abs-cbn.com/news/12/01/16/terror-alert-3-up-in-ph-after-isis-linked-bomb-try-pnp
http://www.rappler.com/nation/154189-dela-rosa-pnp-terror-alert-level-3

That same day, it was also announced that the country would be placed under "Terror Alert Level 3"

quote:

Pressed for details of what the public should expect with the alert level, Dela Rosa said more “strong checkpoints, they should expect the Oplan Sita (spot checks) anytime, and they should expect some raids being conducted by security forces on suspected terrorist personalities and lairs.”

A police intelligence officer speaking on condition he not be named explained that level 3 means "there were movements of terrorist monitored planning to launch an attack." Higher alert levels are raised if an attack is actually carried out.

Despite this, Dela Rosa urged people not to be alarmed even as he urged them to be "vigilant."

I would like to note that the "State of Lawlessness" that was declared nation-wide in the wake of the successful bomb attack at a Davao City market in September of this year has not yet been rescinded nor changed.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/reuterspolitics/status/804718339004174342

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Argue posted:

In line with current events, can someone upload that video I saw once where Imelda Marcos starts explaining this insane theory about binary code and how it's the key to enlightenment? I'm serious it was loving insane; she was using ones and zeroes to draw people and trees and explaining that this was some kind of grand unifying theory of the universe and how it's a "portal to peace" or whatever.

It's from the documentary called "Imelda" and the best part is the ending "see, it's a happy face!"

Saw her quite often when I was in Manila, mostly Rockwell and Greenbelt. Made me feel ill just to see her smiling vacantly, safe, fat, happy and rich at the expense of so many others lives.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Not my work, but someone made a timeline of the current events leading up to the arrest and killing of Mayor Rolando Espinosa under suspicious circumstances.

quote:

Jul 15 2016 (ish): Police Superintendent Marvin Marcos and his entire group are moved to CIDG Region 8 [1]. This has been noted by officials to be extremely irregular and very suspect. When asked who ordered the transfer, PNP Chief Bato Dela Rosa simply said, "Secret."

Aug 2: Mayor Rolando Espinosa, of Albuera Leyte, voluntarily turns himself in [2] after President Duterte announced Espinosa has a 24 hour window to "surrender or be shot".

Aug 6: Mayor Espinosa returns to Leyte. [3]

Aug 23: Atty. Rogelio Bato (Mayor Espinosa's lawyer) and a 15-year-old female high school student were both killed in an "ambush". [4]

Aug 25: Mayor Espinosa went to the police again, seeking police custody due to threats on his life. [5]

Aug 26: Mayor Espinosa supposedly gave and signed his affidavit, without being allowed a new attorney present. [6]

Oct 5: Mayor Espinosa is arrested. [7]

Oct 17: Kerwin Espinosa, Rolando's son, is arrested in Abu Dhabi. [8]

Sometime After Kerwin's Arrest: PNP Chief Dela Rosa talks to Kerwin Espinosa. Kerwin says Police Superintendent Marcos is accepting drug money. Dela Rosa removes PSupt Marcos from duty. [9]

Shortly After: PNP Chief Dela Rosa receives a call from Bong Go, head of the Presidential Management Staff and close aide to Duterte. Go hands the phone to Duterte who then tells Dela Rosa to reinstate PSupt Marcos. [10]

Nov 5: PSupt Marcos leads team that kills Mayor Espinosa [11]. Hours later a photo of a portion of his alleged affidavit is leaked [12] showing the name De Lima.

Nov 7: Full alleged affidavit of Mayor Espinosa is released listing a lot of people. [13]

Nov 10: Duterte states he supports the CIDG version of the story [14], and does not believe there was foul play.

Nov 23: During House probe Kerwin says PSupt Marcos asked for P3 million [15]. Kerwin and his attorney say the Mayor Espinosa affadavit was faked. [16]

Nov 29: PNP Chief Dela Rosa reveals he ordered the relief of PSupt Marcos before November 4th, sometime after talking with Kerwin after the arrest in Abu Dhabi by his "kumpare" [rough translation: very close friend/frat brother] [17]. He doesn't give specific dates.

Dec 1: Senator Leila De Lima claims it was Bong Go [18] that called Bato.

Dec 2: Palace issues statement saying De Lima is "misinforming public to create suspicion, division" [19]

Dec 2: Duterte says Bong Go did not make the call. Duterte instead names Catalino Cuy [20], current Undersecretary of the Department of Interior and Local Government, under whose jurisdiction the PNP lies.

Dec 2: Duterte changes his statement hours later. Confirms Bong Go initially called Bato, but it was Duterte himself that took the phone and gave the order to reinstate PSupt Marcos [21]. Duterte says he knew PSupt Marcos was dirty but wanted to keep tabs on him.

As you can see there are a couple of things to note. First is that PNP Chief Dela Rosa didn't give the exact date where he suspended Marvin Marcos, only that he suspended him sometime after talking to Kerwin Espinosa in Abu Dhabi. He also doesn't say when President Duterte called him to reinstate him, but it wasn't long after. He does say it was before the Nov 5 raid (weeks before presumably, since the search warrant was applied for before the raid took place).

Another thing to note is Duterte's "logic" for allowing Marvin Marcos to be reinstated. Duterte claims that it was so he could follow him and gain intel because Marvin was receiving protection money. If that's the case, why did he state on November 10th that he trusts Marcos and CIDG and that there was no foul play, if he knew Marvin Marcos was a dirty cop?

[1] http://www.rappler.com/nation/153766-pnp-dela-rosa-leyte-espinosa
[2] http://www.rappler.com/nation/141657-leyte-mayor-espinosa-surrenders-duterte-warning
[3] http://news.abs-cbn.com/video/news/08/06/16/mayor-espinosa-evicted-from-pnp-white-house
[4] http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/578654/news/regions/espinosa-lawyer-killed-in-tacloban-city-ambush
[5] http://www.philstar.com/headlines/2016/08/26/1617487/espinosa-makes-albuera-police-station-his-new-home
[6] http://news.abs-cbn.com/news/11/08/16/slain-mayor-executed-affidavit-without-informing-lawyer
[7] http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/583840/news/nation/drug-suspect-albuera-town-mayor-rolando-espinosa-arrested
[8] http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/585265/news/nation/kerwin-espinosa-arrested-in-abu-dhabi-pnp-chief
[9] http://www.philstar.com/headlines/2016/11/29/1648637/bato-higher-power-ordered-reinstatement-kerwins-alleged-drug-protector
[10] http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/850176/duterte-i-was-the-one-who-asked-for-cidg-8-chiefs-reinstatement
[11] http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/11/philippine-mayor-rolando-espinosa-killed-jail-161105053133150.html
[12] http://www.viralsharer.com/2016/11/trending-now-shocking-mayor-espinosas.html
[13] http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/587853/news/nation/espinosa-affidavit-tags-de-lima-49-others-as-kerwin-s-coddlers
[14] http://cnnphilippines.com/news/2016/11/11/Duterte-believes-police-version-of-Espinosa-killing.html
[15] http://interaksyon.com/article/134577/cidg8-chief-marcos-got-p3m-to-finance-wifes-election--kerwin
[16] http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/846746/lacson-kerwin-espinosa-says-affidavit-of-slain-father-fake
[17] http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/590818/news/nation/pnp-chief-bato-kumpare-from-malaca-ntilde-ang-called-to-have-marcos-reinstated
[18] http://cnnphilippines.com/news/2016/12/01/leila-de-lima-bong-go-called-ronald-dela-rosa-to-reinstate-marvin-marcos.html
[19] http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/850143/palace-de-lima-misinforming-public-to-create-suspicion-division
[20] http://news.abs-cbn.com/news/12/02/16/duterte-clears-bong-go-in-marcos-reinstatement
[21] http://cnnphilippines.com/news/2016/12/02/Duterte-I-was-the-one-who-called-up-Bato-to-reinstate-Supt.-Marcos.html

The key things to note here is that:

1. PNP Chief Dela Rosa received word from Kerwin Espinosa that Superintendent Marvin Marcos was a dirty cop
2. Dela Rosa has Marcos relieved from his post
3. "Someone", currently thought to be Duterte by his own admission, ordered Marcos to be reinstated
4. Marcos then leads the raid that kills Rolando Espinosa
5. That raid yields an affidavit, allegedly from Rolando Espinosa, naming multiple personalities, among them Senator Leila De Lima, as being involved in the drug trade
6. Kerwin Espinosa and his attorney maintain that that affidavit is fake

So this is looking to be either a very clumsy conspiracy to kill off a drug lord that was going to embarrass the administration, or to kill him off AND plant evidence naming Duterte's political enemies at the same time.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Rodrigo Duterte Says Donald Trump Endorses His Violent Antidrug Campaign

Two bloody-minded, loud-mouth idiots jerking each other off forever.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Notice Me, Trump-san! :nyoron:

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Dec 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Trump didn’t specifically invite Duterte — [Presidential spokesperson Ernesto] Abella

quote:

Presidential spokesperson Ernesto Abella on Saturday clarified news reports that US President-elect Donald Trump invited President Rodrigo Duterte to the White House.

"According to the transcript [, there wasn't anything specifically saying that the President was invited]," Abella said in an interview on state-run dzRB.

According to Abella, the President said that if he happens to be in New York or Washington DC, he should notify Trump.

"Based on the transcript, [what was actually said ... by President Donald Trump was, if he ever found himself in New York or Washington, that he should notify Donald Trump]," the Palace official said.

But in the "transcript" of the supposed Duterte-Trump conversation sent to media by the Presidential Communications Office, Duterte was quoted as saying, "And he has invited me to visit New York and Washington DC, he [Trump] said that if I'm around, he wants to be notified of my presence and maybe..."

Abella's clarification came after Duterte's special advisor Christopher "Bong" Go said on Friday that the incoming US President has invited the country's chief executive to the White House next year.

Go did not give details as to what particular event in the US Trump invited Duterte to join.

However, Abella noted that during an American president's inauguration, heads of states are not usually invited.

"[It's not a tradition to invite heads-of-state to the ... for the inauguration. Oftentimes, it's just them, that's really an American event. There's really no, traditionally, they really don't extend invitations]," he explained.

"But [what was said was, that if it happened that he was in Washington and New York, that he should let him know, that he should let President Trump know. That's it]," he added.

The Palace official also confirmed that Duterte invited Trump to the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) Summit to be hosted by the Philippines next year.