Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I don't think I've ever heard a song that resonated with the core of my soul like this before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzP8bVMaRCs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Viewtiful Jew posted:

The Resetti-esque one definitely had his own Ham-swears.

Probably had his own stash of Ham-booze as well.

Yeah, Boss totes would have been privy to that kinda stuff

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I've played more of Titanfall 2 and while I heard the game being praised nobody told me that the titan levels are basically next-gen Shogo: Mobile Armor Division. That would have sold me way faster on the game so here it is for people that don't know this yet. It's a pretty good game overall. The multiplayer requires some getting into as it's way more complex than your usual fps with its mix of Tribes/Halo/CoD/Mechwarrior gameplay which is why I think it's not killing CoD or whatever because it's way easier to shoot mans in a simpler game. It doesn't mean it's not fun because it's really cool but needs some time to put everything together and actually understand what the mode you're playing even is.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm hearing that Watch_Dogs 2 is actually good. Is that true?

I was going to ask if it's the Assassin's Creed 2 to Watch_Dogs's Assassin's Creed, but that seems rude to the first Assassin's Creed, which was at least a really creative and unique game when it came out.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

apparently the AAA game industry is having a little bit of a crisis right now. according to PAL charts, Watch Dogs 2 sold only 20% of what Watch Dogs 1 sold in the same timeframe from launch. Similarly, Mankind Divided sold half of what Human Revolution sold, Gears of War 4 sold 25% of what GOW3 sold, Titanfall 2 sold 25% of what Titanfall 1 sold, Infinite Warfare sold half of what the last COD sold. Remember this is not "(X) launch week vs. (Y) lifetime sales" but "(X) sales after (Z) days vs (Y) sales after (Z) days"

maybe companies should consider releasing games outside of the last two months of the year just because of Black Friday

DOOM sold well for example and it was not a holiday game. but meanwhile Skyrim Remastered is outselling Watch Dogs 2 currently lol

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

apparently the AAA game industry is having a little bit of a crisis right now. according to PAL charts, Watch Dogs 2 sold only 20% of what Watch Dogs 1 sold in the same timeframe from launch. Similarly, Mankind Divided sold half of what Human Revolution sold, Gears of War 4 sold 25% of what GOW3 sold, Titanfall 2 sold 25% of what Titanfall 1 sold, Infinite Warfare sold half of what the last COD sold. Remember this is not "(X) launch week vs. (Y) lifetime sales" but "(X) sales after (Z) days vs (Y) sales after (Z) days"

maybe companies should consider releasing games outside of the last two months of the year just because of Black Friday

That's the lesson I'm taking from it, at least. There are several games I would like to buy right now and haven't yet because so many came out around the same time. Pokemon Sun and Moon, Battlefield 1, Titanfall 2, Dishonored 2, maybe even Watch_Dogs 2, I'd like to have and play all of them, but I only have so much money and so much free time.

Part of me wonders if Watch_Dogs 2 and Titanfall 2 might be suffering a bit from the fact that their predecessors aren't remembered very fondly. The first Titanfall was at least received as a good game at first, but its multiplayer died ridiculously quickly. Watch_Dogs sold incredibly well but was a broken mess on many systems and suffered from being kind of generic once the initial "I can hack things!" fun wears off. But the timing of the releases is probably more to blame.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

On the other hand Battlefield 1 sells well so it's not as clear cut. I'd say that BF1 is responsible for the poor sales of CoD and Titanfall 2 - DICE struck gold with the setting as people grew tired with futuristic shooters. EA made a really bad decision releasing Titanfall 2 so close to its own BF1 here - I think their idea was to have the entire target playerbase covered with a huge 64 player historical title and a smaller 16 player futuristic shooter going at the same time but it backfired as everybody just bought BF1.

Those other games are a different story though, there's definitely an oversaturation among AAA+ sequels that are 'more of the same' that failed to make people really excited at the end of this year.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I can't even answer what the last AAA game I played within 2-3 months of its release. I have enough backlogged games to keep me busy and it just makes more financial sense to wait a while for whatever to go on sale and/or get patched/fixed up/improved.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is it possible that CoD fatigue is actually setting in and might account for some of Infinite Warfare's comparatively poor sales? Even Ubisoft learned that annual Assassin's Creed games was becoming a problem. Annualized non-sports games eventually have to hit the fatigue point, I'd imagine.

Battlefield 1 performing well does imply that its novelty is helping it, though.

I also just realized that I'm probably not going to buy Final Fantasy XV on launch which, if you told me that a few years ago, I'd have called you crazy. Nothing to do with the game itself, just that I'm going to be traveling for two whole weeks in December and I don't want to be in a situation in which I either feel pressured to rush through the game in the first two weeks, or I have to just leave it halfway through for two weeks. Gonna wait until January, I guess, and try to dodge spoilers as well as I can.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I also think there's definitely fatigue around what I'd call the Open World Singularity that AAA games are converging to. It makes me wonder if Horizon Zero Dawn is setting up for similar disappointment

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Horizon Zero Dawn being open world is why i'm really not interested in that game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The reason I'm not interested in Horizon Zero Dawn is that I'm still not convinced we've seen any real gameplay at all. Yes, we've seen gameplay demonstrations, and I don't doubt those were in-engine and actually used the game's systems, but they were clearly scenarios designed to show off the game at its best. I want to know what it looks like when you actually play it, not just what it looks like when you vertical-slice it for an E3 stage demo.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I think that even when those AAA+ games are fun they really mostly fall into the 'too similar to the previous installment' category that isn't that interesting to a regular consumer at least this year. Dishonored 2, Deus Ex: HD, CoD: IW, Titanfall 2, W_D 2, GoW 4 - they all really seem more like extensions of the original games at least as long as marketing goes. Doom and BF1 definitely stand out in that crowd. It's not that this is the new norm or something but more of a current trend but maybe it will lead to publishers at least refreshing their series a bit.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Wonderful, I can't use GeForce Experience to update my drivers without logging in through Facebook or Google. Thankfully manual drivers still work, but it is v. annoying that yet another person requires me to log in for things that I have been doing for years without needing to log in.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I'm worried about Horizon Zero Down after being disappointed with ReCore. Everything looks great now but if one vital part of the game is hosed it's all for nothing. I hope it will be a hit though.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

HZD is my pick for 2017's biggest bust.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This is by the same developer that made Killzone, so honestly my hopes have never been that high to begin with.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I have zero interest in horizon and I'm not even sure why

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I can barely keep up with all the movies I want to see in a year and those are much cheaper and take less time to consume and I get free movies through a loyalty program so there's definitely no way in hell I'm keeping up with (read: buying) all the games I want to play. And if a game is only incremental improvement over the last one, I've learned it's better to just stay away and spend my time on something fresh.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Horizon Zero Dawn was more interesting to me before it was announced to come out after like Final Fantasy XV, Last Guardian, Nioh, and for me a new Tales game. I got enough poo poo on PS4 to play by the time it comes out.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I was watching an old old cartoon and there was a preview for a show called rude dog on it and it was just rob paulsen's morte voice as a cool dog who drives around doing stuff and I'm just like "aaaaaaaaaa" because I can only think of Morte driving around trying to be a cool dog

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I assume the drop in launch sales is because people have learned that if you just wait 5-6 months you can get everything for half price

e: Nintendo games excepted

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Not a Children posted:

I assume the drop in launch sales is because people have learned that if you just wait 5-6 months you can get everything for half price

e: Nintendo games excepted
With Titanfall 2 it's less than 1 month and that's directly from Origin, cheaper than any keysite. The sales must have been really bad so I'm playing it before it dies.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

FirstAidKite posted:

I was watching an old old cartoon and there was a preview for a show called rude dog on it and it was just rob paulsen's morte voice as a cool dog who drives around doing stuff and I'm just like "aaaaaaaaaa" because I can only think of Morte driving around trying to be a cool dog

Pay close attention to the final panel.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
This discussion about not jumping on new games is interesting to me. In January of this year my soon to be wife and I decided she it's going back to school full time starting in the fall of 2017. We immediately cut down on spending and one thing I did was budget $120 for gaming for 2016. I thought it was going to be tough coming from buying a new game about once every other month.

Turns out I found it very easy to do. I bought Dark Souls 3, Overwatch, and the expansions for Pillars of Eternity. Between those games I've revisited several older games and I've been having a great time not spending money on video games. I guess I picked a good time to step out of there new video game arena. Nothing but remakes and sequels really made it easy to do.

I also cut out video game news from my news feeds so I don't even know what's on the horizon. It's been great!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Golden Goat posted:

Pokemon Sun, Final Fantasy XV and SMTIV:Apocalypse is out pretty close together and I've still got Tyranny & Bloodbourne to go through.

Guys there's too many games coming out at the same time.

What if games, but too much?

I feel ya.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Prop Wash posted:

Wonderful, I can't use GeForce Experience to update my drivers without logging in through Facebook or Google. Thankfully manual drivers still work, but it is v. annoying that yet another person requires me to log in for things that I have been doing for years without needing to log in.

I was also annoyed by this. It's real dumb that you have to create an account to use Geforce Experience in the first place, let alone requiring you to login to download drivers. I can't even think of a reason why they would want you to log in besides getting another email address to send their stupid spam emails to.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah, gently caress that poo poo. It also automatically turns on streaming functionality when you launch a game too. Oh yeah, are their latest drivers still broken or have they fixed them yet?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I know this isn't a new problem, but I feel like the backlog issue is getting worse, too. I could buy new games, or I could grab the humble monthly 12$ games and those are usually timesinks.

For example I want Tyranny, but I'm barely ten hours into Dragon's Dogma and nowhere near beating it. Stardew Valley - I'm through most of it, but it's a game you could play for weeks and still keep going, and I expect to use it as a chill and relax game whenever I want.

And that's leaving out the entire bundle industry where I have the FEAR series and don't remember when I got them, but hey, old school spooky shooting.

So: why not wait for xmas for Tyranny, or later? It'll only get cheaper.

*Note that I did get SMTIV:A on preorder because I am a loyal fan of the series and am not immune to spending big bucks on a game.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Pay close attention to the final panel.

Hahaha

But yeah for reals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dC6CCE0Ows

Usually when I hear rob paulsen, he's doing something closer to the yakko voice, so when I hear that voice he used there I just immediately associate it with morte and only morte

Morte is a good skull

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

My main gaming platform is a Wii U so I don't even have any new games to buy!!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

codenameFANGIO posted:

Buy old games!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

codenameFANGIO posted:

What wii u games do you currently own?

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

FirstAidKite posted:

What wii u games do you currently own?

I own a lot of Wii U games and I am currently playing all of the Zeldas so my life is ok, friend.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
This weekend, I played: a whole mess of pokemon. I will play more today.

Pokemon is an interesting game cycle for me. A new one comes out and I become loving obsessed for like a month or two, and then proceed to give close to zero fucks about Pokemon until about a week before the next one comes out.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

StrixNebulosa posted:

I know this isn't a new problem, but I feel like the backlog issue is getting worse, too. I could buy new games, or I could grab the humble monthly 12$ games and those are usually timesinks.

For example I want Tyranny, but I'm barely ten hours into Dragon's Dogma and nowhere near beating it. Stardew Valley - I'm through most of it, but it's a game you could play for weeks and still keep going, and I expect to use it as a chill and relax game whenever I want.

And that's leaving out the entire bundle industry where I have the FEAR series and don't remember when I got them, but hey, old school spooky shooting.

So: why not wait for xmas for Tyranny, or later? It'll only get cheaper.

*Note that I did get SMTIV:A on preorder because I am a loyal fan of the series and am not immune to spending big bucks on a game.

Just keep a wishlist on steam or psn or whatever to check during sales. You'll get what you want eventually

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The upcoming Black Friday PSN sale might kill me

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Real hurthling! posted:

Just keep a wishlist on steam or psn or whatever to check during sales. You'll get what you want eventually

Oh I do, I do. I try to keep my wishlist organized and only buy off of it during sales to curb excess excited spending.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I've been waiting for that Salt and Sanctuary thing to go on sale on PSN forever because I heard it's good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

FirstAidKite posted:

I guarantee they have their own hamchat for curse words

Ham Ha!

• Locked thread