Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

primary her rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Bill Buckner posted:

Bernie wasn't a real democrat though.

He's actually a wooden puppet that jangled shiny keys around for his target audience. :smug:

Such a nasty poster.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

The biggest challenge is going to be convincing people voting for dumb poo poo like commissioner every year is actually super important and effects more than home owners. I don't really have an idea where to start on that one

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

....you're kidding right? Do you think it was the 'establishment' that spent the last primary yelling about purity?

Yes? I recall a ton of that from the establishment and it's supporters here on the forums, and in fact I still hear a ton of it (and you've yelled about it quite a bit yourself if I remember correctly). I don't remember a whole lot of yelling about purity from the non-establishment folk.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

the dakota access pipeline protesters were attacked last night with firehoses, rubber bullets, tear gas, and flashbangs apparently

approximately 200 people have suffered injury

cops had to do it because they were being hit with logs and stuff apparently

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/21/us/dakota-access-pipeline-protesters-police.html?_r=0

edit: forgot to mention that it was 26* f when they were using firehoses on protestors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DI6hn_ciE9M&t=570s

https://twitter.com/IENearth/status/800551370344513536?ref_src=tw

Condiv has issued a correction as of 19:40 on Nov 21, 2016

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

GlyphGryph posted:

Yes? I recall a ton of that from the establishment and it's supporters here on the forums, and in fact I still hear a ton of it (and you've yelled about it quite a bit yourself if I remember correctly). I don't remember a whole lot of yelling about purity from the non-establishment folk.

No no, wanting specific things is purity.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

The biggest challenge is going to be convincing people voting for dumb poo poo like commissioner every year is actually super important and effects more than home owners. I don't really have an idea where to start on that one

simple, mandatory voting

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

There's like 100s of pages about liberalism vs leftism vs loving whatever in the Hillary threads

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Condiv posted:

the dakota access pipeline protesters were attacked last night with firehoses, rubber bullets, tear gas, and flashbangs apparently

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/21/us/dakota-access-pipeline-protesters-police.html?_r=0

Important minor detail: they used firehoses in sub-freezing weather.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

simple, mandatory voting

I meant like something we can actually do, instead of want congress to do and they never will

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

The reign of terror was a good thing.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Start from scratch I guess. Say here is what the commisoner does and here is how it affects the issues you care about. Problem is getting that out there to people en masse and what to do about the "My vote doesn't matter lol so jaded" morons.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

simple, mandatory voting

I'm not sure how adding a strong element of completely random chance is supposed to help things, I got the impression the intent was more about informed voting. And not even the strictest mandatory voting laws require someone to vote for commissioner.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

need to bring back the tradition of free beer after voting

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

OAquinas posted:

Important minor detail: they used firehoses in sub-freezing weather.

yeah, can't believe i forgot that :bang:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Agean90 posted:

Start from scratch I guess. Say here is what the commisoner does and here is how it affects the issues you care about. Problem is getting that out there to people en masse and what to do about the "My vote doesn't matter lol so jaded" morons.

Start organizing regular public meetings where people in the area can come together and agree upon the direction of their local party. You could do potlucks, music concerts, fairs, not just boring political stuff. You could develop an entire culture around political engagement.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Condiv posted:

my god, throwing logs? the protestors must have some raging thugs with them. I like the part where they say one officer was struck in the head so...

quote:

Dallas Goldtooth, a spokesman for the Indigenous Environmental Network, said in a phone interview on Monday that the Oceti Sakowin medical team, which had been working in tandem with medics from the Standing Rock Sioux tribe, had reported that nearly 200 people were injured and 12 people were hospitalized for head injuries. One protester went into cardiac arrest and was revived by the medic team, he said.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I would have settled for imprisonment
In a labor camp.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

so the cops are basically trying to frame themselves as the stormtroopers fighting the ewoks in Return of the Jedi

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

loquacius posted:

so the cops are basically trying to frame themselves as the stormtroopers fighting the ewoks in Return of the Jedi

:laffo:

holy poo poo that is perfect. unfortunately they have better aim than storm troopers do.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Sure, except the Ewoks are gonna lose, and the Stormtroopers work for Leia's government, and..

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

He wasn't. But we're going to change what is a real democrat.

He was/is the future of the Democratic Party. Your Abeula's purity was an illusion time to let your understanding of what the democrats are, go.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Agean90 posted:

Local government is the answer to "my vote doesn't matter," in theory. There's not that many people voting for the county commissioner, which makes the race way more personal and it's easier to grasp that your vote does matter. The issue is that a lot of people don't know what those offices do or that they're actually important.
Like, uh...
like me

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Grondoth posted:

Like, uh...
like me

Also, I've been trying for three years and I have no idea how to actually figure out anything about my local candidates and I don't think anyone has run against them.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

They don't even have facebook?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Cook County update: Haven't heard anything since giving them my email. I guess "we don't want no one no one sent" is still in effect.

Organizing something independently seems more and more sensible.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

SirPhoebos posted:

Cook County update: Haven't heard anything since giving them my email. I guess "we don't want no one no one sent" is still in effect.

I assume they're still panicking since madigan lost the supermajority

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

SirPhoebos posted:

an independent group for organizing outside of the dems sounds like a good idea period. one that represents its members instead of coastal plutocrats

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Powercrazy posted:

He was/is the future of the Democratic Party. Your Abeula's purity was an illusion time to let your understanding of what the democrats are, go.

Are you literally retarded? That's basically what I said. Can you do something more useful than try to land sick burns?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Are you literally retarded? That's basically what I said. Can you do something more useful than try to land sick burns?

it's powercrazy, so, yes?

Also as important as Bernie's ideas are if 'the future of the democratic party' is an elderly white man we're just as hosed as when it was an elderly white woman

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

iospace posted:

On one hand, that's what the PEOTUS is supposed to say.

On the other, gently caress Schumer for not pulling a McConnell. I know Reid would.

He said the exact same goddamn thing Sanders did.

GlyphGryph posted:

I'm not sure how adding a strong element of completely random chance is supposed to help things, I got the impression the intent was more about informed voting. And not even the strictest mandatory voting laws require someone to vote for commissioner.

Is there a website or app out there that, based on ip, shows every single upcoming election a person is eligible to participate in and all the relevant information on the people running? If there is, point people to it. If not, make it a goon project to build it. If you cannot find the info on relevant stuff, get someone to email them. At that level, you'll either get someone who will hand you volumes in volumes of his thoughts on everything he couldn't get out, or refuses to say anything, which also communicates volumes on volumes.

Commissioner should be easier to get the "lol so jaded" people to turnout for since the margins are so low, that's where their vote will make the most difference. In fact, one trick that can encourage turnout, if you are building it - show the margins for the previous election, and the number of new people who have taken an interest in the election.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Bernie and his movement are irrelevant.

The future of the Democratic Party is what it was a month ago, a year ago, a decade ago, and what would it be even if Hillary won - they are not-Republicans. That's all there is to it. When enough people become unhappy with the state of things under the Republicans, they will vote Democrat, and the Democratic Party will gladly sit and wait for that moment.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

TyrantWD posted:

Bernie and his movement are irrelevant.

The future of the Democratic Party is what it was a month ago, a year ago, a decade ago, and what would it be even if Hillary won - they are not-Republicans. That's all there is to it. When enough people become unhappy with the state of things under the Republicans, they will vote Democrat, and the Democratic Party will gladly sit and wait for that moment.

low energy analysis right here folks

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Also as important as Bernie's ideas are if 'the future of the democratic party' is an elderly white man we're just as hosed as when it was an elderly white woman

oh for christs sake.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

it's powercrazy, so, yes?

Bernie is PoC, and stop relitigating the primary

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Lando at Cloud City, or Lando at Jabba's Palace?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
if you want an image of the future of the democratic party, imagine a human face slamming itself into a boot, forever

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Al! posted:

if you want an image of the future of the democratic party, imagine a human face slamming itself into a boot, forever

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

LegoPirateNinja posted:

Lando at Cloud City, or Lando at Jabba's Palace?

Every time a current event happens we need this thread to supply an appropriate Star Wars metaphor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
How bad do things have to get before we compare it to the Star Wars Holiday Special?

• Locked thread