Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Trabisnikof posted:

If someone said "climate change will kill us all, but I give up and I'm making sure my kids go to the best Public School District we can afford!"

That person sound would sound like a fairly typical suburb FYGM conservative to me.

Who said anything about giving up? You can have selective faith in institutions, it isn't an all or nothing thing. I also support local green legislation as well, the horror, I know.

Boon posted:

Mostly because the coalescence and segregation of political communities on a national scale combined with a economic divide is driving a lot of the urban vs rural divide, racism, and partisanship.

Then there's you celebrating that idea.

Alright but if you work from the assumption that the American political experiment will fail and the states will probably have to more or less fend for themselves when it comes to healthcare, civil liberties or environmental regulation it doesn't really make much sense to live in mississippi

Who What Now posted:

But not smart enough to realize moving isn't an option for a lot of people.

No, the costs just don't outweigh the benefits yet. Hopefully they do before you get your local internment camp or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Pollyanna posted:

people are going to die

This would be true under Hillary as well (Or do brown people overseas and the working class not count?). At least this way were having an honest and open discussion about what a cancer upon the world the Democratic Party has become.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

the black husserl posted:

This has already begun. It's not even funny, it's just loving shameful to watch these spineless morons contort themselves to Serve The Master's Will.

It's to be expected. /pol/ is a hate machine, they have no virtues other than hate.

Hate.

If you vote hate on every ballot that voted for Trump, that still wouldn't win the popular vote and it wouldn't match 1/10th of the hate they feel for every non-white-cis-het individual in the world this instant.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

NewForumSoftware posted:

death is inevitable

Easy to say when you're not the one dying.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Oh good the gang's all back together again. The clock has struck midnight and mysterious spell kept this thread readable for three days has evaporated.

Maybe we can have a special thread entitled "How Bad Is Hillary And The Evil Neoliberal Democratic Party" and not have it in here for the eleventy bajillionth time?

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Sir Tonk posted:

Then why continue breathing? Nothing matters once you're dead, might as well die now and not waste your time living.

This isn't convincing, he might just be a selfish hedonist living life to the fullest before catastrophe. Frankly it wouldn't be surprising if many world and business leaders fall in that same category, they're smart enough to know climate change is a real problem and that they'll be dead by the time it hits home.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Meatball posted:

Easy to say when you're not the one dying.

easy to not care when you categorically refuse to help the killing

unlike most liberals i dont feel like i have some moral responsibility to save the rest of the world from itself (in fact I would attest that mindset is driving more problems than its solving)

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
Say what you will about baby boomers, but them voting in Trump is pretty much the biggest "no gently caress you dad" ever considering what war the generation that their parents fought.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

NewForumSoftware posted:

Alright but if you work from the assumption that the American political experiment will fail and the states will probably have to more or less fend for themselves when it comes to healthcare, civil liberties or environmental regulation it doesn't really make much sense to live in mississippi

Well, I'll grant that it doesn't make sense to live in Mississippi, regardless

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

NewForumSoftware posted:

unlike most liberals i dont feel like i have some moral responsibility to save the rest of the world from itself

Hey, idiot, we got to live in this world so saving it makes sense.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

NewForumSoftware posted:

Who said anything about giving up? You can have selective faith in institutions, it isn't an all or nothing thing. I also support local green legislation as well, the horror, I know.

No, the costs just don't outweigh the benefits yet. Hopefully they do before you get your local internment camp or whatever.

If you're assuming the political and social system is going to fail, why are you bragging about finding a community rich enough to afford increasing local spending on social institutions?

Meanwhile I'm not sure how you can post this much in this thread then claim:

NewForumSoftware posted:

Really because it's actually pretty fun to just totally disengage from federal politics

But that directly contradicts your most recent post where you said you haven't given up on climate change. How can you claim to be disconnected from federal politics and think your community green bill will do poo poo for the climate?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nocturtle posted:

This isn't convincing, he might just be a selfish hedonist living life to the fullest before catastrophe.

He's yet another software developer making yet another six-figure salary who thinks that occasionally feeling a twinge of guilt at wealth disparity when he goes grocery shopping makes him socially aware.

It's easy to feel above it all in times of crisis when you're in that comfortable upper-class niche that won't be hurt by it, except in the abstract.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Covok posted:

Hey, idiot, we got to live in this world so saving it makes sense.

Yeah I went through my idealistic "save the world" phase in the mid 2000s and Obama thoroughly convinced me it's not possible so unless you've got a compelling plan moving forward save your emotional pleas

Covok
May 27, 2013

NewForumSoftware posted:

Yeah I went through my idealistic "save the world" phase in the mid 2000s and Obama thoroughly convinced me it's not possible so unless you've got a compelling plan moving forward save your emotional pleas

It's simple: we all just stop loving, grow old and die. That ought to stop the destruction of the planet. /s

Serious answer: no one ever said survival is easy.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

NewForumSoftware posted:

unlike most liberals i dont feel like i have some moral responsibility to save the rest of the world from itself (in fact I would attest that mindset is driving more problems than its solving)

Here the FYGM really shines.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Oxxidation posted:

He's yet another software developer making yet another six-figure salary who thinks that occasionally feeling a twinge of guilt at wealth disparity when he goes grocery shopping makes him socially aware.

It's easy to feel above it all in times of crisis when you're in that comfortable upper-class niche that won't be hurt by it, except in the abstract.

This is actually true except instead of "occasionally feeling a twinge of guilt" it's more "constant disgust at society". Especially considering how many of my peers are anti-union/alt-right morons who effectively know nothing.

Trabisnikof posted:

But that directly contradicts your most recent post where you said you haven't given up on climate change. How can you claim to be disconnected from federal politics and think your community green bill will do poo poo for the climate?

What makes you think state/local level environmental regulations are only about climate change?

Trabisnikof posted:

Here the FYGM really shines.

Oh am I supposed to be creating a new fake news organization to propagandize the population into voting for my team's corporate candidate?

What do you want me to do exactly? Post nicer things?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Trump will likely be an 8 year President.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Trabisnikof posted:

If you're assuming the political and social system is going to fail, why are you bragging about finding a community rich enough to afford increasing local spending on social institutions?

It makes sense. He's assuming that total collapse does not actually mean total collapse. It means degradation of federal services to an extent beyond what it is now while also assuming that in the long-run, if the system does fail, it's not going to much matter where he lives.

It's a pretty practical approach for someone to take who isn't all that interested in participating on the front lines but advocates 'correct policy'.

Note: I'm not making a judgement here one way or another.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

readingatwork posted:

This would be true under Hillary as well (Or do brown people overseas and the working class not count?). At least this way were having an honest and open discussion about what a cancer upon the world the Democratic Party has become.

The working class were not going to by lynched in the streets under a Hillary presidency, you loon. But minorities just might be under a Trump one.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Quorum posted:

Oh good the gang's all back together again. The clock has struck midnight and mysterious spell kept this thread readable for three days has evaporated.

Maybe we can have a special thread entitled "How Bad Is Hillary And The Evil Neoliberal Democratic Party" and not have it in here for the eleventy bajillionth time?

The question won't go away because too many people now realize that just voting D is no longer a solution to the country's problems. If anything we can expect the progressive/neoliberal civil war to get worse over time, not better.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Edit: Ignore This.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

readingatwork posted:

You're going to have a hard time proving the idea that Hillary would indiscriminately kill people as a part of war over and above any other candidate in the executive.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Covok posted:

Wait a minute, do you live in upstate New York, but are from Long Island? Wear glasses? Went to BU? I think I know you in real life.

Uhh no but there are more than a few of me out there. It's just most of us choose not to interact with establishment morons on a regular basis.

Also more of a PNW guy than upstate NY, way less people over this way

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

readingatwork posted:

The question won't go away because too many people now realize that just voting D is no longer a solution to the country's problems. If anything we can expect the progressive/neoliberal civil war to get worse over time, not better.

I don't know man. Seems like voters who typically vote D while not voting D is exactly what caused this current problem?

Covok
May 27, 2013

NewForumSoftware posted:

Uhh no but there are more than a few of me out there. It's just most of us choose not to interact with establishment morons on a regular basis.

Yeah, I realized it was a dumb thing to ask the second after I asked it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Covok posted:

Well yeah it's not like poor and minority citizens are going to have an easy time voting in 2020, or probably even 2018, if they live where the state government isn't solidly blue.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

NewForumSoftware posted:

This is actually true except instead of "occasionally feeling a twinge of guilt" it's more "constant disgust at society". Especially considering how many of my peers are anti-union/alt-right morons who effectively know nothing.

What makes you think state/local level environmental regulations are only about climate change?

Oh am I supposed to be creating a new fake news organization to propagandize the population into voting for my team's corporate candidate?

What do you want me to do exactly? Post nicer things?

You claim to the Clean Power Plan wasn't good enough and climate change will Destroy Civilization. Why does a local environmental regulation about something else matter if climate change will destroy civilization?

I'm just pointing out you're another FYGM conservative and your posts are the proof. Keep posting away buddy.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Boon posted:

You're going to have a hard time proving the idea that Hillary would indiscriminately kill people as a part of war over and above any other candidate in the executive.

It is a matter of faith for some people. This is why, as Trump begins to prove that his isolationist rhetoric was largely a smokescreen and all his appointments are bloodthirsty holy warriors, you see deflections back to Hillary.

Sorry folks. Hillary is irrelevant now. If you thought trump would at least be better on the foreign policy front, well, buckle up because have we got some sights for you.

e: I'd say go to the Middle East thread for some fun and exciting news about the impending train wreck but I don't think they're any more interested in the slapfight, probably less

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

NewForumSoftware posted:

Nah, much better to be like you and harm other people out of spiteful self-centered depressed narcissism.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

What's with this notion that people in the cities are only rich that some people in this thread keep floating. Like besides the Black urban poor there are plenty of urban white poor people. God knows Mike Bloomberg tried to get rid of all the poor people in New York but we're still holding on.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Covok posted:

I don't agree with the doom and gloomers, but anyone at all cynical about American society or democracy in general got a lot of validation Nov 8. There are probably a lot of pro-democracy activists in Hong Kong and China who's lives are that much harder these days.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Boon posted:

Yea there's no history of Hawkishness you could research on her or anything

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Trabisnikof posted:

You claim to the Clean Power Plan wasn't good enough and climate change will Destroy Civilization. Why does a local environmental regulation about something else matter if climate change will destroy civilization?

The destruction of human civilization isn't the extinction of the human race. Humans have lived at much lower standards of living than what we're currently used to and my take is we're trending down, not up. So seeing as that's the case, right now the move is to use what resources you have available now to buffer yourself as best possible from the coming instability. Like I wish I could do something better or more productive but there's literally no political will to address issues like the "bilateral consensus on foreign policy" or climate change. So instead of praying for the federal government/the citizenry to save me, I'm going to go attempt to save myself. There is no "save everyone" option, as much as you'd like to believe.

quote:

I'm just pointing out you're another FYGM conservative and your posts are the proof. Keep posting away buddy.

If my positions make me a FYGM conservative in your eyes than I'm a FYGM conservative. I don't really care about whatever dumb labels you've come up with this time.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

KomradeX posted:

What's with this notion that people in the cities are only rich that some people in this thread keep floating. Like besides the Black urban poor there are plenty of urban white poor people. God knows Mike Bloomberg tried to get rid of all the poor people in New York but we're still holding on.

Yeah, but you're still in the hyper-wealth bubble if you haven't been to an Applebee's, Chili's or Outback Steakhouse at least once a month. If you don't you're basically a millionaire.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

I wonder if you guys are still going to be talking about evil Killary Klinton in 2020. Probably.

Trabisnikof posted:

Yeah, but you're still in the hyper-wealth bubble if you haven't been to an Applebee's, Chili's or Outback Steakhouse at least once a month. If you don't you're basically a millionaire.
This is a cultural/lifestyle branding thing, it has nothing to do with wealth. All of those restaurants are stupid expensive.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

zegermans posted:

I mean that's like not even in the top 5 reasons he's an awful person, but yeah.

Small government, state's rights! Republicans totally love freedom of choice.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Rudy Ghouliani put all the homeless on a bus and sent them to Florida.

I met a Trump supporter who thought they should do that again and though a few actually valid plans that could help reduce homelessness nation wide was "bullshit welfare queen hooey."

New York isn't nice to the poor, not all city folk are rich.

Hell, just 10-15 years ago, I remember the perception was all city folk were poor (except for Manhattan) and all the country folk were rich.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Trabisnikof posted:

Dude what happened to your poor mind. Nothing you write makes sense anymore

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

the black husserl posted:

I wonder if you guys are still going to be talking about evil Killary Klinton in 2020. Probably.

Well it's going to be inevitable when the Clinton Foundation backs some kind of horrific third way candidate who's willing to talk the progressive message like Obama. Making sure you remember is really all that matters at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armack
Jan 27, 2006
New Chris Hedges article suggests that converting Trump supporters away from proto-fascism will require concrete economic relief. Shaming them out of their racist/misogynist fantasies will not be effective.

• Locked thread