Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

This is incorrect, I just beat the U+ and cleansing storm most definitely went right through reflect. I didn't dispel it once.

In fact, the only caster BSB with commands which *do* get Reflected is ... drumroll ... Lulu's. Because she doesn't get poo poo on enough by the game. And note that's anecdotal, I haven't ever seen her BSB in the wild to test it for myself or check the JSON.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog
It's okay! JP has shown they are breaking their trend, by making her one of the rare users of 5* abilities that have less multiplier than a Ja spell and charge as long as a Soul Break...!

Poor Lulu.

(Witch 5* is dumb and I really will be shocked if those are any good in practice. 4*s look pretty plausibly solid though.)

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
... I think my account is broken (in a good way). My dollar pull today got me Rosa's Artemis Bow, and I wound up taking stock of my SBs thanks to that.

I now have the Magic Blink Medica for Selphie, Ovelia, AND Rosa. Is... is that all of them?

In addition to that, I have Medica SBs for Minwu, Lenna, Aeris, Yuna, Relm, Yuffie, Vanille, and Penelo.

I also have native Shout and both Walls.

I started playing the game less than a year ago, and I've only ever spent money on dollar draws, and I only started doing that about 6 months ago.

The flip side to all of that is that I still don't have ANY worthwhile black magic SBs (but I haven't really needed them so far.)

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Last dollar pull ever was kinda fitting: FFIV... Sage Surplice.

I still owe 'em enough gems for a half price pull down the road, though for getting me the stuff I need :v:

Blazed through the FFXIII Ult and Ult+ so far. The Ult was a bit harder, it liked to spam slowga and that AoE that would randomly blind/silence near the end, but when it was staggered Celes and co went to town. The Ult+ was easier thanks to Vaan and his BSB and Thief's Revenge. Whenever that silly orb popped up, Vaan beat the crap out of it before it could do it's ultimate attack. Not gonna CM it though.

Just need to figure out how to tackle Atlas.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
I used to wonder, you know, is Full Break really that mandatory? I never failed to take it anywhere but I thought that maybe, just maybe, it wasn't a must? :lol: nope, apparently if you don't use defensive Breakdowns the Calcas and Brinas can hit you for 1300 through Shell and Wall. Who knew! I still beat the U++ without triggering the Calcabrina phase but it was pure, ugly Physical brute force. Abes All-star + AoE command, Paladin Force + AoE command and Hallowed Bolt (of all things!) did the job, but just barely. Selphie died and I had to race the last 25% or so of the puppets' health without healing coming in. Really starting to reconsider my budget to allocate more pulls for magical stuff because this barely hacked it. Of course, if I just had SG, I could've brought Multi Break Tyro...

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

I really wanted to master the CM U+ with Kain's BSB as the RW used by my own Kain, but the damage output from those lightning strikes was ridiculous even with lightning resist gear. Ended up having to RW Wall, after that had no issues.

I also wanted to complete the U++ with a full FFIV team, but again the Calcas and Brinas just had too much DPS, so I had to sub out the Spoony Bard for Tyro to add Multi Break and SG. And with the selection of skills and SBs I have available, I didn't need a single mage for all attackers to deal AoE damage. Sky Grinder, Aegis Strike, Doppleblade, Demonsblood (on Tyro).

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I went into Calca and Brina a bit under prepared and barely won due to luck. I went full mage meta, using Aetherial Pulse as RW with Multi Break as my only sources of mitigation, and with no healing spells. I was lucky enough to have the single-target spells spread out instead of concentrated on my party members, and only Golbez died at the end.

In conclusion, native Sheepsong owns.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Mastered U no problem; Dispelling Strike and Cloud OSB Own Zone. But this event's U+ and U++ are a new problem for me; I just plain don't have much AoE. My best offensive BSB is single-target (Faris' breakdown), Cloud's OSB has the same problem, Ramza and Vanille are both non-offense, and I don't have Greg to use his BSB, which is the only other one I have, but I'd have to blow an MC/MCII lode and a crapload of eggs on him, and I can just wait until December to recruit him. Would it be worth it to pull on either of the FFIV banners? I have 150-ish mythril in hand, plus whatever comes in for the Thanksgiving mess. I kinda wanted to save this for OK and the BF/fest banners, but goddamn, do I need orbs, and an MCIII would be nice.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Lightning Dive absolutely destroyed the U+, I took Flan Master down in two rounds thanks to it.

U++ was a bit more difficult. I have decent FFIV synergy in general, but my best magic weapon is...an Ice Rod++. This meant I didn't have the damage output to finish off the dolls before they could combine, making the fight much more of a pain.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
I guess with multiplayer arriving tonight I should make a shameless plug for the FFRK Discord Server Here.

Originally a reddit server, but went independent a while back. Dedicated channels for multiplayer so you don't have to play the pub roulette wheel every fight. Fairly strong goon presence already.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

KnoxZone posted:

I guess with multiplayer arriving tonight I should make a shameless plug for the FFRK Discord Server Here.

Originally a reddit server, but went independent a while back. Dedicated channels for multiplayer so you don't have to play the pub roulette wheel every fight. Fairly strong goon presence already.
I hung out in there for a day-ish but kinda :chloe: and noped on out when general chat got to a very Reddit discussion of goobergate and its merits

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Neat, didn't know that the multiplayer beta started tomorrow. What's an ideal way to partner up, just posting in here, using PMs, or some sort of discord or other chat group?

I'd likely be bringing a pairing of Bartz BSB for pure physical DPS, Hope BSB for pure mage DPS, Ramza BSB for Support/Tailwind/Holy, and/or Y'Shtola with her EsunaCura, SS2, and Pulse SBs. I tended to prefer being a supporter/healer on the rare occasions that I played MMORPGs (oh turn-of-the-millenium Everquest :allears: ) so if there's some people on here who like to bring damage dealers that could sync up well!

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Man, it almost felt like a mistake how long it took Calcabrina to form. I beat it with just a physical+ninja magic hybrid team before it formed. Then I went and fought it again curious as to how long it would take. I found myself defending for like three or four turns it felt like, before that thing turned into the doll. Then I beat it.

Had a hell of a time with the U+ Cid Mission, but eventually I beat it by just putting a mako might on PCecil and starting out with Paladin Force. I tried mages but they're too god drat soft. That's why I can't stand them.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Since when do U+s have sky-high Res? Golbez, my best FF4 mage, is only hitting for about 2-3k per enemy with Ruinga.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

I was planning on rolling on TG cid's opening banner, but god drat the current JP FFT banner 2 looks like it'll trump that idea for me. Mustadio/Malak's bsb's look crazy.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

AweStriker posted:

Since when do U+s have sky-high Res? Golbez, my best FF4 mage, is only hitting for about 2-3k per enemy with Ruinga.

It happened a few months back which is partly why mages fell out of the meta so hard. Thankfully they are releasing lots of stacking faithgas now so if you can get 1-2 of them mages go back to being very powerful.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
well killed everything + CM without having to dip into my mythril stash. now to wait on sir onion and the black friday banners

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

KnoxZone posted:

It happened a few months back which is partly why mages fell out of the meta so hard. Thankfully they are releasing lots of stacking faithgas now so if you can get 1-2 of them mages go back to being very powerful.

And I have zero, wonderful (e: except Kefka's Mantle but that's fairly weak). Has anyone done the U+ or U++ with a physical team?

AweStriker fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 21, 2016

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I'm gonna hope Beatrix is good enough to just ace the multiple-enemy battles coming up with her BSB. That's valid, right?

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

AweStriker posted:

And I have zero, wonderful. Has anyone done the U+ or U++ with a physical team?

A physical party would probably suffice if you can't afford to use your RW slot for a faithga.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

KnoxZone posted:

A physical party would probably suffice if you can't afford to use your RW slot for a faithga.

Well. A second faithga. I keep forgetting I have Kefka's since it's so weak (although I can never remember how weak), plus it doesn't stack with something like Sheepsong.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog
IIRC Infusion's 20%+Hastega.

I beat down the ultimates with a mage team that has Cerberus Shell for a Faithga(20%+Bahamut level damage IIRC), though admittedly I also have Krile's other SSB, Unspoken Bond, which helps a bit(Fastcast damage spells x3). Just took Dusk's Decree for RW, no second Faithga.

I also have no mage Hastega.

So... you'll probably be fine?

SageAcrin fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 21, 2016

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

AweStriker posted:

Well. A second faithga. I keep forgetting I have Kefka's since it's so weak (although I can never remember how weak), plus it doesn't stack with something like Sheepsong.

Kefka's isn't that bad. 10% instead of Sheep's 30% (and with no regen). You can bring that and something like Kefka and a Celes BSB RW and more than double your magic damage while also providing a nice boost to any physical units you have.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

U++ was fun. I stuck Mako Might and Doctor Mog's Teachings on Cecil and Tidus, RW'd a Shout. Used Shout, busted out the Bursts, then Hydroblast and Aegis Strike, with a couple of Ramuhs and Meteors. Couple of casualties but by then there were just three of one almost dead and only one left of the others.

Also for the Ultimate, Cecil laughed at the "really high defense", just did his usual, and the Saint's Crosses did their normal quad nines. Paladin Force is still amazing, Holy weaknesses are still doing their thing. I'd really like a Holy Imperil. Or any really.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

KnoxZone posted:

Kefka's isn't that bad. 10% instead of Sheep's 30% (and with no regen). You can bring that and something like Kefka and a Celes BSB RW and more than double your magic damage while also providing a nice boost to any physical units you have.
20%

Otherwise yeah

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Nihilarian posted:

20%

Otherwise yeah

Whoops, silly typo on my part.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Jedi425 posted:

Mastered U no problem; Dispelling Strike and Cloud OSB Own Zone. But this event's U+ and U++ are a new problem for me; I just plain don't have much AoE. My best offensive BSB is single-target (Faris' breakdown), Cloud's OSB has the same problem, Ramza and Vanille are both non-offense, and I don't have Greg to use his BSB, which is the only other one I have, but I'd have to blow an MC/MCII lode and a crapload of eggs on him, and I can just wait until December to recruit him. Would it be worth it to pull on either of the FFIV banners? I have 150-ish mythril in hand, plus whatever comes in for the Thanksgiving mess. I kinda wanted to save this for OK and the BF/fest banners, but goddamn, do I need orbs, and an MCIII would be nice.

For U+ I brought native sheepsong and an Ashe RW and had Terra/Yuna spamming the AOE command. By the time burst mode ended the master was long dead and the flas were almost dead so they were easy enough to clean up with spells/summons. Plus the damage from Vaan's burst mode since he was my magic breaker for the fight. Not sure what I'll do for U++ since my synergy for FF4 is almost non-existant. My only native 5* relics are yang's SSB and Palom's staff so my mages have maybe 350-370 MAG if they're lucky so even with Sheepsong the Ashe BSB commands were doing maybe 4-5k(x2) to the flans with aoe.

Orfeo
Nov 27, 2007

Ectobiology sure does involve a lot of button pushing.
Just to confirm, but some people have said with the Lucky Black Friday BSB Banner dropping after Onion Knight's event starts, there could be a chance to pull OK's BSB there?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Orfeo posted:

Just to confirm, but some people have said with the Lucky Black Friday BSB Banner dropping after Onion Knight's event starts, there could be a chance to pull OK's BSB there?

If it follows the pattern of every other Lucky Draw banner, it will have every eligible relic which has been released to that point. That includes OK and Luneth's BSBs if those get released even a day before the Black Friday banner. It's entirely possible that DeNA will decide not to include them, however. You can always check in-game before making the pull.

Orfeo
Nov 27, 2007

Zurai posted:

If it follows the pattern of every other Lucky Draw banner, it will have every eligible relic which has been released to that point. That includes OK and Luneth's BSBs if those get released even a day before the Black Friday banner. It's entirely possible that DeNA will decide not to include them, however. You can always check in-game before making the pull.

I mean, this is largely an intellectual exercise. Lucky Draw BSB Banner, I'm pulling whether or not Onion Knight and Luneth are on there. It'd just be gravy if I had a chance on them there too.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Orfeo posted:

I mean, this is largely an intellectual exercise. Lucky Draw BSB Banner, I'm pulling whether or not Onion Knight and Luneth are on there. It'd just be gravy if I had a chance on them there too.

Well, there is a practical concern here too. If all you're after is the Onion Gauntlets, waiting two days won't kill you. It's a small, 2% chance to pull them if they're even in there, sure, but it's 25 Mythril saved on the off-chance you do. It's not about whether the BSB banner is worth pulling on, it is, for everyone, doesn't matter how many BSBs you have, it's about determining how you approach the OK1 banner.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Oh wow, there are not entirely words for how hard Dusk Decree chumps the Ultima Nightmare fight.

AstraSage
May 13, 2013

Honestly, I'm set for pulling on both OK1 and the BSB Lucky Draw: I'm more interested in the fact the former is a good assortment of Relics that happens to also have a great highlighted prize I'm okay not getting as long as I get some of its other featured III Synergy options (Even Ingus' Shield because I'd never reject a Hastega and he's already a solid character after getting his Break Blade), and the chance of getting BSBs from such a wide range of Realms while the III Event's EXP Dungeons are live is too good to skip.

AstraSage fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Nov 22, 2016

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
I... I did it :stare:

My first Ult++. Ended up relying on medica spams with Vanille and Rosa while Hope and Argrias chipped away at Atlus after I dried up on hones towards the end. I still can't believe it worked, especially after hearing what a bastard he is; RNG must have been on my side for once.

Orfeo
Nov 27, 2007

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

Well, there is a practical concern here too. If all you're after is the Onion Gauntlets, waiting two days won't kill you. It's a small, 2% chance to pull them if they're even in there, sure, but it's 25 Mythril saved on the off-chance you do. It's not about whether the BSB banner is worth pulling on, it is, for everyone, doesn't matter how many BSBs you have, it's about determining how you approach the OK1 banner.

A lot of the other stuff there is worth my time regardless. I've been relying on Garnet as a primary healer with Divine Guardian, and no Medica to speak of beyond either Celebration Grimoire or Earthmend off of a Gaia Gear. And Gungnir is pretty nice too considering I've got a fair few Wind users that could push me over the edge to an elemental team if I get lucky with an imperil down the line.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Man, these scrubs aren't equipping fire resist for Ifrit.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Did a run through with a random group and went pretty well on U+ Ifrit. Until we didn't take out the nail in time - that is some crazy AoE spam with AoE counter. 3 down, but still managed a mastery :toot:. It's really hard to count Ifrit's turns to beat the spike between lag, 8 characters performing actions, and Ifrit throwing counters out.

I was worried I wasn't really contributing much with Selphie and Fang since I don't have that many good BSBs, but the ATK/MAG breakdown and being able to save all my Dreamstages for the oh poo poo moment at the end worked out pretty well.

Pretty excited for when actual multiplayer comes out, It'd be fun to do this with goons.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Nov 22, 2016

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Multi-player loving owns. But...

ETB posted:

Man, these scrubs aren't equipping fire resist for Ifrit.

Yeah

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!
Bring Magic Blink if ya got it. These guys are about as likely to kill the nail as they are in FF XIV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Multiplayer owns. Half real FFRK, half SB watching/sticker spamming simulator.

MIST OPPORTUNITY

I brought Vaan/Y'shtola equipped for fire resist and carried the team upon my mitigation shoulders, it was fun.

• Locked thread