Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Fyrbrand posted:

I finished my second gargantuan for my Trollbloods- the Glacier King.

A friend suggested I add snow to the whelp on the base, to make him more like a mini GK. I wound up breaking out some old plasticard hex rod and stuff I had sitting around, and made some basic ice crystals too. I'm kind of in love with it. (Whelps are the result of troll beasts losing a limb or other part, than then regenerates into its own mini-troll.)

(I really like drinky whelp riding on top, too.)

That fukken owns, Fyrbrand. Love the actual snow on his back too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Inazuma posted:

Come to think of it, I've only seen it with a pot of evil sunz scarlet red. Could be a dodgy pot I guess. I'll give it a good mix, see if it's still happening, if it is I'll grab another pot ans see if that helps.

It might be worth trying a different brand too, especially given how expensive GW paints are for the amount you get. VMC 70.909 (Vermilion) should be a good match, or possibly VMC 70.908 (Carmine Red), which is a little darker. Reaper 9094 (Clear Red) would also be a good option. For a dollar less, you get 40% more paint (and the benefit of a dropper bottle), which is pretty substantial.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Fyrbrand posted:

I finished my second gargantuan for my Trollbloods- the Glacier King.

A friend suggested I add snow to the whelp on the base, to make him more like a mini GK. I wound up breaking out some old plasticard hex rod and stuff I had sitting around, and made some basic ice crystals too. I'm kind of in love with it. (Whelps are the result of troll beasts losing a limb or other part, than then regenerates into its own mini-troll.)

(I really like drinky whelp riding on top, too.)

what do you use for your snow effects? It looks amazing!

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

goodness posted:

what do you use for your snow effects? It looks amazing!

Thanks! I usually use woodland scenics snow flock mixed with PVA glue and a little water. But here I wanted a wetter looking snow, so I mixed the snow flock with gloss varnish instead.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Fyrbrand posted:

Thanks! I usually use woodland scenics snow flock mixed with PVA glue and a little water. But here I wanted a wetter looking snow, so I mixed the snow flock with gloss varnish instead.

A lot of the ones I see end up looking like white goop. Yours looks really fluffy like actual snow

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Fyrbrand posted:

I'll steal this like I stole your regular snow recipe whenever I want some wet snow.

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
Well god help me I actually put paint to model, some leftover Black Reach orks from like a decade ago. I bought the first set of Reaper paints and I"m not sure if I'm just not noticing it or anything, but it seems like they don't really need any thinning right out of the dropper. Don't seem to be losing detail as far as I can see and it still seems to take at least 3 and up to way way more to get decent coverage, so I'm not sure what I would do if I needed to thin them.

Once I actually finish one I'll be sure to grace the thread with pictures of my surely clogged up orks.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Per their website, Reaper paints can be used without thinning, but they do note that you still need to thin it for more advanced painting techniques.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Please post if you see a sale on a patriot 105 or air compressor

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Cross posting some in progress pics from the oath thread. I am not entirely happy with the way the blush is on this figure, but otherwise I am happy with how this is coming along. Just about done with everything but her pauldron, the displacer beast kitten she is holding (not pictured) and I need to paint the plinth marble.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
X-post, I finished up a Tyrannofex last night:

Hive Fleet Jötunn grows :black101: :

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Avenging Dentist posted:

Just so everyone knows, HobbyZone (who makes awesome modular hobby storage units) now has a US distributor.

Amazingly, I was again just looking at picking one of these up. Sadly, you can get them cheaper on Ebay (with the free shipping.)

goodness posted:

Please post if you see a sale on a patriot 105 or air compressor

Check Amazon for the Patriot between Black Friday and Christmas - they tend to drop quite a bit around that time.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

X-post, I finished up a Tyrannofex last night:

Hive Fleet Jötunn grows :black101: :

Those are some solid frosty 'nids! Would love to see a whole army.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

berzerkmonkey posted:

Amazingly, I was again just looking at picking one of these up. Sadly, you can get them cheaper on Ebay (with the free shipping.)

The US distributor has free shipping on orders of $80 or more, so if you're getting a bunch of em, that should be cheaper.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I've been out of painting for a bit, so why not go over pre-painted stuff.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Nice!

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

SRM posted:

That fukken owns, Fyrbrand. Love the actual snow on his back too.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
So I am thinking of buying a new air brush. Currently I have a Sotar 20/20 but I want something that is easier to use. The sotar get clogged pretty easy and I find myself cleaning it as much as using it. I am thinking either a badger patriot or a badger renegade krome. Anyone have any experience with these brushes who can give me some advice? Should I be looking at other companies (I like that Badger is US made and has put out helpful videos)?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

JesusIsTehCool posted:

So I am thinking of buying a new air brush. Currently I have a Sotar 20/20 but I want something that is easier to use. The sotar get clogged pretty easy and I find myself cleaning it as much as using it. I am thinking either a badger patriot or a badger renegade krome. Anyone have any experience with these brushes who can give me some advice? Should I be looking at other companies (I like that Badger is US made and has put out helpful videos)?

Get the Krome if you're very experienced. The Patriot is a good all around brush. I was looking at the Patriot Xtreme, which seems to be a Patriot 105 with a better trigger and airflow control built into the unit. It's about $25 more expensive right now, and I don't know if it's worth it?

Anyway, wait a few days and see if the 105 goes on sale on Amazon for Black Friday.

Speaking of, if anyone wants to buy a new Sotar, I'm not going to get around to using mine. I paid $94 for it, so if anyone is interested in buying for that price, PM me.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 22, 2016

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Badger also has a really good warranty and repair policy. Even if you buy from someone else, you can just send them the busted airbrush, and they'll fix it. They charge you nothing but parts and shipping. I've generally had good results with my 105. My only issues have come from neglect and stupidity on my part.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
I'm very nearly the Stealer Cultists now. Just the banner to finish and then the bases to do.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

berzerkmonkey posted:

Get the Krome if you're very experienced. The Patriot is a good all around brush. I was looking at the Patriot Xtreme, which seems to be a Patriot 105 with a better trigger and airflow control built into the unit. It's about $25 more expensive right now, and I don't know if it's worth it?

Anyway, wait a few days and see if the 105 goes on sale on Amazon for Black Friday.

Speaking of, if anyone wants to buy a new Sotar, I'm not going to get around to using mine. I paid $94 for it, so if anyone is interested in buying for that price, PM me.

Thanks for the advice, I was thinking Black Friday/Cyber Monday. I would not consider myself very experienced but if the only draw back to the Krome is cost they extra $50 isn't a huge issue. Is it more difficult to use?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Thanks for the advice, I was thinking Black Friday/Cyber Monday. I would not consider myself very experienced but if the only draw back to the Krome is cost they extra $50 isn't a huge issue. Is it more difficult to use?

Yeah It's more difficult to use

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Crosspost from the Oath Thread. Painted up a ton of glowy guys and an autumnal treeman to compensate:

Zark the Damned posted:

Oath Complete!

Prepare for some eye-searing!

Autumnal Treeman. Jurnal for the orange and red leaves.

Glowy Boars

Glowy Big Boars

Glowy Wyvern

Glowy Swole Wyvern

Glowy Group Shot

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

JesusIsTehCool posted:

The Krome and the Sotar are the exact same brush internally, it's just a different casing that feels a bit different in your hand. So any problems you have with the sotar you'll probably have with the Krome. The Patriot is the easy to use, easy to clean workhorse brush of the gods.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

JoshTheStampede posted:

The Krome and the Sotar are the exact same brush internally, it's just a different casing that feels a bit different in your hand. So any problems you have with the sotar you'll probably have with the Krome. The Patriot is the easy to use, easy to clean workhorse brush of the gods.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Yeah It's more difficult to use

Thanks for the advice guys, I was leaning towards the Krome before I asked and now I am for sure going with the Patriot.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Crossposting from the 40k thread:

SRM posted:

I wanted to post my new Army Overview video showing off my Dark Angels:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4tRJtz5y64
I'm planning more videos in this format to show off both my armies as well as others in my community, so I'd be happy to hear any feedback you guys have.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

SRM posted:

I asked this in the 40K thread, but it's likely going to get swallowed up.

Does anyone know if KR does a Black Friday sale in the US? If so, what does it usually entail?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

berzerkmonkey posted:

I asked this in the 40K thread, but it's likely going to get swallowed up.

Does anyone know if KR does a Black Friday sale in the US? If so, what does it usually entail?

I checked the same thing out today. In the past they've done a deal where if you buy a bag/backpack/aluminum case, they throw in a KR1 card case for free.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

PantsOptional posted:

I checked the same thing out today. In the past they've done a deal where if you buy a bag/backpack/aluminum case, they throw in a KR1 card case for free.

I got a response from them and was told they will not be doing any sort of BF sale this year.

I'm in a case funk. I've got a lot of BF cases and trays, but I was looking for something that did carry-on air travel a little better, so I was looking at the KR backpack. Unfortunately, I don't think their trays will really hold my Epic or Warmaster armies effectively enough for me to make a switch. With some tray modification and magnetic inserts, I can get a BF tray to hold a substantial amount of models. I don't think the KR foam can pull that off, unfortunately.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

As a UK company I think we could expect boxing day/January sales at most.

Mexicola
Jan 3, 2006
In a world that's full of shit and gasoline, baby

SRM posted:

Decent camera work and Not annoying/ actually interesting voice over. A++

Horace-Noah
Mar 30, 2012

The Oath Breaker about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

SRM posted:

I really enjoyed it. Wish you would have lingered a bit longer on your models because I really enjoy your paint jobs. Maybe focus on some more of the conversions you did. I thought your Chaplin was bad rear end (and it inspired me to build a custom one of my own) but I wanted to see some of the bikers you talked about too!

Please keep it up, what you've done so far has been awesome.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Horace-Noah posted:

I really enjoyed it. Wish you would have lingered a bit longer on your models because I really enjoy your paint jobs. Maybe focus on some more of the conversions you did. I thought your Chaplin was bad rear end (and it inspired me to build a custom one of my own) but I wanted to see some of the bikers you talked about too!

Please keep it up, what you've done so far has been awesome.
Thanks! I'll definitely try and linger longer with the shots going forward - it kinda defeats the purpose when thee camera keeps cutting. And I hope you post your chaplain soon - they've always been some of my favorite models and characters from the fluff.

Mexicola posted:

Decent camera work and Not annoying/ actually interesting voice over. A++
Considering how bad so much Youtube content can be, this is actually really high praise and I appreciate it.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

SRM posted:

I enjoyed this video and I have no interest in 40K

Horace-Noah
Mar 30, 2012

The Oath Breaker about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

SRM posted:

I hope you post your chaplain soon - they've always been some of my favorite models and characters from the fluff.

Ask and ye shall receive.

Dry fitted him together so I could get a good look at poses. Really pleased with how he's turning out. Thought "this'll be stupid" when I made him pop a wheelie, but I've now come over to the "no this is actually badass and good" train of thought.

I'd really like to figure out a good way to make his mace stand out a bit more as it's supposed to be a one of a kind relic.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

This owns really hard and makes me wish I still cared about 40k.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

berzerkmonkey posted:

I got a response from them and was told they will not be doing any sort of BF sale this year.

I'm in a case funk. I've got a lot of BF cases and trays, but I was looking for something that did carry-on air travel a little better, so I was looking at the KR backpack. Unfortunately, I don't think their trays will really hold my Epic or Warmaster armies effectively enough for me to make a switch. With some tray modification and magnetic inserts, I can get a BF tray to hold a substantial amount of models. I don't think the KR foam can pull that off, unfortunately.

Check the dimensions on the GamePlus bag. It holds 14 inches of pluck foam and i think it is carry-on size.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

signalnoise posted:

Check the dimensions on the GamePlus bag. It holds 14 inches of pluck foam and i think it is carry-on size.

I can confirm this. I have an Army Transport bag that is the same dimensions as GamesPlus, and I've brought it on a plane before. The conversations with TSA are amusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
My Dropzone army got a little showcase gig on the german publishers website including some shots among nice terrain. The german text is a bit of fluff and some general description. If there's demand i can do a rough translation tonight. Feeling a bit proud tbh.

The first dropfleet ship is still in the works as i figure out the details of the scheme.