Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
While the discourse on SA is mostly a American/UK liberal one, I don't see why he can't critique someone for indulging in some typically liberal memes/patterns without immediately becoming a white supremacist. I don't think mandating that someone be 100% woke before they post here is a great idea.

We did just talk about how Sherri Tepper was kinda crazy, and her crazy had a distinct left/liberal tinge, so I guess we might all be Woksdaejjugend now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again

Megazver posted:

While the discourse on SA is mostly a American/UK liberal one, I don't see why he can't critique someone for indulging in some typically liberal memes/patterns without immediately becoming a white supremacist. I don't think mandating that someone be 100% woke before they post here is a great idea.

We did just talk about how Sherri Tepper was kinda crazy, and her crazy had a distinct left/liberal tinge, so I guess we might all be Woksdaejjugend now?

Not sure what you are talking about since I didn't refer to white supremacy at all! My point is that the Sad Puppy-ish :argh:SJWs!!!:argh: isn't going to find much of a sympathetic audience here

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

uberkeyzer posted:

Not sure what you are talking about since I didn't refer to white supremacy at all! My point is that the Sad Puppy-ish :argh:SJWs!!!:argh: isn't going to find much of a sympathetic audience here

So what? It's not going to find zero sympathetic audience. And the sympathy of an audience has zero relevance for the truth or value of the argument being made.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
BotL is a habitual troll.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

uberkeyzer posted:

Did you mean to post this in Vox Day's comment section? I don't think your...uh...perspective is going to find much of an audience in this thread.

I actually went ahead and finished THTK today, and its New Age-y triumph-of-paganism-over-Abrahamic-religion story is very, very silly. Like I said, it's wrapped up in liberal cliches. The depictions of inequality and fundamentalism are silly and inauthentic because Jemisin can't cover for their cartoonishness (not to mention the copious undercurrents of gently caress YOU DAD). I could also call it a duller version of The King of Elfland's Daughter.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 20, 2016

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm fairly bad at articulating things, but the last three science fiction stories i've read (and watched) sure all deal with the phenomena of first contact with alien intelligence in different ways. Those three being: Three Body Problem (and sequels), the Expanse books (I'm only 1 and 3/4 of the way into them), and the Arrival (film).

But one thing that springs immediately to mind is from Banks' Culture novels though; specifically the Outside Context Problem (OCP), the kind of problem "most civilizations would encounter just once, and which they tended to encounter rather in the same way a sentence encountered a full stop."

First Contact stories are a staple of scifi of course, but i love how very differently each can play out compared to others. Especially considering Liu's Dark Forest Theory of the universe compared to...well many many others.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
This has almost certainly been mentioned in this thread, but I can't find it here or elsewhere. So, here goes...

Does anyone know who it was (originally, at least) who talked about how characters in science fiction shouldn't be awkwardly commenting on the amazing technology they're using? I want to say that the paradigmatic example used is Kirk and Spock stopping and talking about the automatic doors in TOS.

The idea behind it isn't "don't do awkward info dumps," but rather, "if you're not doing an awkward info dump, don't awkwardly shove it into the dialogue."

Is this just a truism, or is there an actual quote somewhere? (Apologies for the vagueness; it's probably why I can't find it.)

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
That reminds me of Mark Rosenfelder's send-up of bad science fiction:

Mark Rosenfelder posted:

If all stories were written like science fiction stories
By Mark Rosenfelder

Roger and Ann needed to meet Sergey in San Francisco.

“Should we take a train, or a steamship, or a plane?” asked Ann.

“Trains are too slow, and the trip by steamship around South America would take months,” replied Roger. “We’ll take a plane.”

He logged onto the central network using his personal computer, and waited while the system verified his identity. With a few keystrokes he entered an electronic ticketing system, and entered the codes for his point of departure and his destination. In moments the computer displayed a list of possible flights, and he picked the earliest one. Dollars were automatically deducted from his personal account to pay for the transaction.

The planes left from the city airport, which they reached using the city bi-rail. Ann had changed into her travelling outfit, which consisted of a light shirt in polycarbon-derived artifical fabric, which showed off her pert figure, without genetic enhancements, and dark blue pants made of textiles. Her attractive brown hair was uncovered.

At the airport Roger presented their identification cards to a representative of the airline company, who used her own computer system to check his identity and retrieve his itinerary. She entered a confirmation number, and gave him two passes which gave them access to the boarding area. They now underwent a security inspection, which was required for all airline flights. They handed their luggage to another representative; it would be transported in a separate, unpressurized chamber on the aircraft.

“Do you think we’ll be flying on a propeller plane? Or one of the newer jets?” asked Ann.

“I’m sure it will be a jet,” said Roger. “Propeller planes are almost entirely out of date, after all. On the other hand, rocket engines are still experimental. It’s said that when they’re in general use, trips like this will take an hour at most. This one will take up to four hours.”

After a short wait, they were ushered onto the plane with the other passengers. The plane was an enormous steel cylinder at least a hundred meters long, with sleek backswept wings on which four jet engines were mounted. They glanced into the front cabin and saw the two pilots, consulting a bank of equipment needed the fly the plane. Roger was glad that he did not need to fly the plane himself; it was a difficult profession which required years of training.

The surprisingly large passenger area was equipped with soft benches, and windows through which they could look down at the countryside as they flew 11 km high at more than 800 km/h. There were nozzles for the pressurized air which kept the atmosphere in the cabin warm and comfortable despite the coldness of the stratosphere.

“I’m a little nervous,” Ann said, before the plane took off.

“There’s nothing to worry about,” he assured her. “These flights are entirely routine. You’re safer than you are in our ground transport cars!”

Despite his calm words, Roger had to admit to some nervousness as the pilot took off, and the land dropped away below them. He and the other passengers watched out the windows for a long time. With difficulty, he could make out houses and farms and moving vehicles far below.

“There are more people going to San Francisco today than I would have expected,” he remarked.

“Some of them may in fact be going elsewhere,” she answered. “As you know, it’s expensive to provide airplane links between all possible locations. We employ a hub system, and people from smaller cities travel first to the hub, and then to their final destination. Fortunately, you found us a flight that takes us straight to San Francisco.”

When they arrived at the San Francisco airport, agents of the airline company helped them out of their seats and retrieved their luggage, checking the numeric tags to ensure that they were given to the right people.

“I can hardly believe we’re already in another city,” said Ann. “Just four hours ago we were in Chicago.”

“We’re not quite there!” corrected Roger. “We’re in the airport, which is some distance from the city, since it requires a good deal of space on the ground, and because of occasional accidents. From here we’ll take a smaller vehicle into the city.”

They selected one of the hydrocarbon-powered ground transports from the queue which waited outside the airport. The fee was small enough that it was not paid electronically, but using portable dollar tokens. The driver conducted his car unit into the city; though he drove only at 100 km/hr, it felt much faster since they were only a meter from the concrete road surface. He looked over at Ann, concerned that the speed might alarm her; but she seemed to be enjoying the ride. A game girl, and intelligent as well!

At last the driver stopped his car, and they had arrived. Electronic self-opening doors welcomed them to Sergey’s building. The entire trip had taken less than seven hours.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

That's my now favorite thing ever, or at least today.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I like how it belittles Ann.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

DirtyRobot posted:

This has almost certainly been mentioned in this thread, but I can't find it here or elsewhere. So, here goes...

Does anyone know who it was (originally, at least) who talked about how characters in science fiction shouldn't be awkwardly commenting on the amazing technology they're using? I want to say that the paradigmatic example used is Kirk and Spock stopping and talking about the automatic doors in TOS.

The idea behind it isn't "don't do awkward info dumps," but rather, "if you're not doing an awkward info dump, don't awkwardly shove it into the dialogue."

Is this just a truism, or is there an actual quote somewhere? (Apologies for the vagueness; it's probably why I can't find it.)

There's probably a ton of quotes about it, as this is a central technical problem for sf. If there's a specific quotation you're thinking of, it might be Heinlein, the guy who wrote "The door irised open". You should also try searching for "Jo Walton incluing".

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I love this, but I remember once reading a version of it where it explicitly mentioned the Bernoulli Principle in casual conversation while they looked out the window at the wing, anyone know where it is?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I could swear there's another version where, after a paragraph of description lavished on the bodacious, tightly-clothed woman, the man is "dressed in pants and a shirt".

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
It's more author-specific, but How David Weber orders a pizza is pretty good. Don't forget to scroll down for part 2!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I like how it belittles Ann.

What do you mean? How can read this as anything other than a compliment?

quote:

A game girl, and intelligent as well!

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I just finished and mostly enjoyed GRRM's Tuf Voyaging, are any of his other non-Game of Thrones books worth reading?

Maybe check out the Dreamsongs books, a two volume short story anthology thing that I remember liking a lot.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000W918RI/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

DirtyRobot posted:

I'm reading the first book of the Lost Fleet and it's kind of ridiculous the amount of times the protagonist mentions how weird it is that he's watching things occurring far away in the system that already happened fifteen minutes ago and just generally stops to ponder relativistic effects despite being a super experienced space sailor captain.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Well, let me tell you about the advantages and disadvantages of battlecruisers....

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

90s Cringe Rock posted:

It's more author-specific, but How David Weber orders a pizza is pretty good. Don't forget to scroll down for part 2!

Oh wow, the straight dope boards, that takes me back.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I finally read Children of Time. Liked a lot of it especially the aw shucks that's nice ending.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The Everything Box by Richard Kadrey is on sale for 2.99 today on amazon.

It's well worth it at that price. Give the sample a shot to see if you want to try it, it's a pretty big departure from the Sandman Slim series, but it's a pretty fun read.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Magic Hate Ball posted:

That reminds me of Mark Rosenfelder's send-up of bad science fiction:

This is great, a really good send-up.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
I thought K.J. Parker's short stories were pretty entertaining; unfortunately the first book of the Engineer trilogy was a billion words about autists and whiners and autistic whiners and the armors and the lock plates, and the gently caress if I'm going to bother with a billion billion more words about their dumb fantasy lives.

Are the other trilogies this bad, too? I was hoping I'd found some decent fantasy mush but that doesn't appear to be the case...

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
So I just finished Diamond Star by Catherine Asaro and I do believe this was the first time I've read a sci-fi book where the central plot is about an exiled prince becoming a holo-rock star, power ballads and all.

And since my taste in music seems to be perennially stuck in the 80s, is there anything similar out there? The only other major use of music (like this, anyway) in sci-fi I can think of at the moment is from Macross/Robotech...

VVV: Well, I was thinking more along the lines of stuff in book form, but that still looks pretty awesome and I need to see it now.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 21, 2016

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Daft Punk - Interstella 5555

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

idiotsavant posted:

I thought K.J. Parker's short stories were pretty entertaining; unfortunately the first book of the Engineer trilogy was a billion words about autists and whiners and autistic whiners and the armors and the lock plates, and the gently caress if I'm going to bother with a billion billion more words about their dumb fantasy lives.

Are the other trilogies this bad, too? I was hoping I'd found some decent fantasy mush but that doesn't appear to be the case...

A lot of people don't seem to like his first two trilogies. I did enjoy The Folding Knife, though, I think you'll like it if you liked the short stories. Maybe read the rest of his novels backwards, starting with the most recent ones.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

WarLocke posted:

So I just finished Diamond Star by Catherine Asaro and I do believe this was the first time I've read a sci-fi book where the central plot is about an exiled prince becoming a holo-rock star, power ballads and all.

And since my taste in music seems to be perennially stuck in the 80s, is there anything similar out there? The only other major use of music (like this, anyway) in sci-fi I can think of at the moment is from Macross/Robotech...

VVV: Well, I was thinking more along the lines of stuff in book form, but that still looks pretty awesome and I need to see it now.

This is going even further off topic but if you want a cool synthwave band with an 80s sci fi vibe check out Gunship. The best songs are "The Mountain" and "Tech Noir".

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Megazver posted:

A lot of people don't seem to like his first two trilogies. I did enjoy The Folding Knife, though, I think you'll like it if you liked the short stories. Maybe read the rest of his novels backwards, starting with the most recent ones.

His first trilogy is very good, but extremely brutal. Also has a lot of the technical detail you seem to dislike, though Parker uses it more as a metaphor for characterization than for its own sake, and the third book is definitely weaker than the other two, though still worth it for the ending. A certain event in the second book is probably one of the most hosed up things I've read in fiction in a long time. The Folding Knife though is a great standalone, very good place to start with Parker's novels.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
My problem is that the technical detail gets tossed in there as a bunch of nerdout SCA stuff rather than anything that really has to do with the story or with good writing. Brian Jaques sperging out about food or Robert Jordan describing the 15 colors of ribbon on a dress. I don't know about the other trilogies, but the Engineer book could have been at least 200 pages shorter and would have been a far better story for it.

Trampus
Sep 28, 2001

It's too damn hot for a penguin to be just walkin' around here.

Sage Grimm posted:

[spoiler]If you want to be introduced to Hamilton I'd argue The Commonwealth Saga is a better place to start

I'll second this. I really enjoyed the technology in the series and the large amount of time it covers.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I almost liked Parker's Engineer trilogy ( or was it just one book, I forget) but the third book in the Fencer trilogy is one of an incredibly small number of books I couldn't even be bothered to finish.

Hated the characters, hated the setting, and really hated the second book's seemingly endless wargamelike "can a small trained group of bowmen defeat a larger group of halberdiers"

I made it about quarter into the next book when I decided i was officially Done With KJ Parker.

ymmv

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

idiotsavant posted:

My problem is that the technical detail gets tossed in there as a bunch of nerdout SCA stuff rather than anything that really has to do with the story or with good writing. Brian Jaques sperging out about food or Robert Jordan describing the 15 colors of ribbon on a dress. I don't know about the other trilogies, but the Engineer book could have been at least 200 pages shorter and would have been a far better story for it.

I haven't read that one, so you may be right. But in all of the Parker I have read, his usual style is to add in technical detail of craftsmanship as a layered metaphor for what's happening in the story, instead of being purely extraneous. He has moved away from that to an extent, especially in the shorter form writing, so those might be more up your alley. You can read most of those free online too, I'd personally recommend The Sun and I as his best.

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

WarLocke posted:

Listen to Rockwork. Or read it I guess, buy the audio is fun. A short story, but sounds like you'll like it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

a kitten posted:

I made it about quarter into the next book when I decided i was officially Done With KJ Parker.

This is a shame. Even people who like his other poo poo, are iffy on Engineer. If you do ever feel generosity move within you, check out his short story collection, Academic Exercises. Or just look up the short story titles in his Wikipedia article and google them, they're all available online. Heaven Thunders the Truth and A Rich, Full Week are both great, for example.

He is very good.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

WarLocke posted:

GRRM's The Armageddon Rag. Seriously, it's a good book.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Megazver posted:

This is a shame. Even people who like his other poo poo, are iffy on Engineer. If you do ever feel generosity move within you, check out his short story collection, Academic Exercises. Or just look up the short story titles in his Wikipedia article and google them, they're all available online. Heaven Thunders the Truth and A Rich, Full Week are both great, for example.

He is very good.

I'm a pretty forgiving reader, so I will probably do exactly that at some point.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

idiotsavant posted:

Honestly I would read an entire book of Brian Jaques sperging out about food if it came with recipes. Even the Redwall books that I didn't enjoy much as books were just so drat delicious sounding.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

GRRM's The Armageddon Rag. Seriously, it's a good book.

The Armageddon Rag has near-insufferable doses of peak boomer, but is a good book.

uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again

Megazver posted:

He is very good.

Quoting this because Academic Exercises owns. There's a nice variety of tone (including some reasonably happy endings) and the overall other-Europe other-Byzantium setting is really cool and fascinating. The short story about the friends inventing the cult is particularly fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Finished Godspeed by Charles Sheffield.

Enjoyed it. Nothing to write home about, in particular, but it had a sort of enjoyable "Heinlein without the baggage" feel. Specifically it felt like you took a Heinlein juvenile novel, expanded it a bit and removed all the awkward Heinleinian proselytizing.

Is most of Sheffield's work like that? I know the dust-jacket author bio said he wrote a lot with his grandkids and young relatives in mind, as audience.