Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Intoluene posted:

Yep, because every square foot of Australia has deadly animals on it. Nobody could possibly survive this incredibly harsh and unforgiving locale, truly.

This poo poo right here is my pet peeve. Same with the stupid convict joke Americans think they're so clever in referencing every five goddamned seconds.

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I can't hate Australia, you guys built a memorial swimming pool to honor a PM who drowned.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I can't hate Australia, you guys built a memorial swimming pool to honor a PM who drowned.

It was already under construction when he disappeared, it was in his home electorate and a keen swimmer. All of this compounded to the creation of one of the greatest pieces of irony to exist in Australia. :allears:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I want to punch people who don't pronounce their drat T's in words.

It's button, not buh-in. Mitten, not mih-in.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

You can't really help your home dialect. I grew up on LI and that's how everyone pronounces those words.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
goon 1: i hate all of australia

goon 2: oh yeah? i hate all of britain and the us northeast

Ginny
Sep 29, 2007
3,2,1 Let's Jam!
Three current peeves, all from the same coworker.

Slow eaters. She's the loving SLOWEST eater I've ever seen. I'm already finished and she's still pecking at her sandwich, like she takes a really small bite and then keeps talking and talking about poo poo nobody cares about.

Can't you enjoy your lunch? I do eat a bit fast, but it shouldn't take you half an hour to eat a sandwich woman!

Second peeve, I'm pretty tired of the fact that I have to eat with her everyday since we work together. Why can't you just go eat and leave me alone... I'ts like I have to stand her talking about her life all freaking day and I can't escape because I'm polite and wait for her to finish her lunch. Which takes forever!

Third peeve, she talks SO MUCH, about everything. I feel like her boyfriend or therapist at this point. What annoys me the most is that sometimes I'm super tired and I make it VERY obvious I don't want to talk and I'm not interested in what she's saying, and she just keeps going. It's like those old people that grab you on the bus and won't stop talking poo poo, even if you purposely just reply with "mm" and "aha". Do people not understand that? Are they THAT self absorbed?

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Ginny posted:

What annoys me the most is that sometimes I'm super tired and I make it VERY obvious I don't want to talk and I'm not interested in what she's saying, and she just keeps going. It's like those old people that grab you on the bus and won't stop talking poo poo, even if you purposely just reply with "mm" and "aha". Do people not understand that? Are they THAT self absorbed?

When you say "obvious" do you mean you actually tell her "Sorry but I don't feel up to taking right now"?

Not picking on you here, but this does remind of a big peeve: people who try to be subtle about things that could be quickly resolved by simply speaking up.

Ginny
Sep 29, 2007
3,2,1 Let's Jam!

artsy fartsy posted:

When you say "obvious" do you mean you actually tell her "Sorry but I don't feel up to taking right now"?

Not picking on you here, but this does remind of a big peeve: people who try to be subtle about things that could be quickly resolved by simply speaking up.

Yeah I get what you mean, but it's kind of hard to tell someone "stop talking to me". Maybe i should say it next time and see how she reacts.

Believe me, I'm not subtle. I make it super obvious I don't want to talk, but she doesn't care.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Shes probably desperately lonely and reaching for any human contact to keep her crushing depression at bay but sorry she inconveniences you

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

artsy fartsy posted:

Yeah, what sounds like an uninterested "mhm" to you probably sounds like confirmation to her that you are listening and she should therefore keep talking.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Any kind of hardware that beeps without any way to turn it off. I'm a software developer and now have to work with compatibility for this ancient pre-internet junk that loudly beeps anytime I test anything on it, probably annoying everyone in the adjacent offices. Meanwhile someone in a nearby office is working with a drone and it occasionally makes an incredibly loud series of four beeps that pierces right through my headphones, which I'm sure is vitally important to its operation and having the ability to keep it from doing that would just be out of the question

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Digirat posted:

Any kind of hardware that beeps without any way to turn it off. I'm a software developer and now have to work with compatibility for this ancient pre-internet junk that loudly beeps anytime I test anything on it, probably annoying everyone in the adjacent offices. Meanwhile someone in a nearby office is working with a drone and it occasionally makes an incredibly loud series of four beeps that pierces right through my headphones, which I'm sure is vitally important to its operation and having the ability to keep it from doing that would just be out of the question

That drone's beeps are the equivalent of BIOS beeps, and are made to be heard outdoors amongst other drones' motors. So yes, it's important it's loud and not disabled.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Ginny posted:

Yeah I get what you mean, but it's kind of hard to tell someone "stop talking to me". Maybe i should say it next time and see how she reacts.

Believe me, I'm not subtle. I make it super obvious I don't want to talk, but she doesn't care.

It is hard, because it feels rude (it's not unless you go out of your way to make it rude) but it's sooo easy for people to ignore anything non-direct, whether they're being intentionally obtuse or not.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I recently went to the local aquarium (because it's loving awesome) and was reminded of a pet peeve I've had since I worked formal events and fancy cocktail parties back in college: People who block thoroughfares, or are otherwise completely unaware of the space they take up in a crowd. Every single time I would work an event we'd get people forming conversational circles right in front of a door, or in front of a cocktail bar, or bathroom entrance, and I'd just like it if people would stop, look around, and recognize that they are not the only people at a party and that other people want to walk through doorways or get food or otherwise move around the venue.

A related peeve: Our special events group was almost entirely composed of college-aged men and women. One thing I realized very early on is that rich people don't like to take suggestions from young women, so every time we needed to herd people to the dining room, or ask them to not block the loving doorways, it had to be a guy saying it. The rich men wouldn't take women seriously, and the rich women would bristle like a porcupine at the mere thought of a younger woman telling them what to do. It was disgusting, especially because our women staff were invariably more observant and talented than any of us men.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

bad boy in the boy band posted:

Don't worry they end up in other words like "acrosst" as in "acrosst the street" (one of my peeves)

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

"Tonight with dinner we're having some roasted capsicums..."

It's a bell pepper, call it a goddamn bell pepper, you're not impressing anyone!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Killingyouguy! posted:

"Tonight with dinner we're having some roasted capsicums..."

It's a bell pepper, call it a goddamn bell pepper, you're not impressing anyone!

"Foodie" terms in general drive me nuts. You aren't cooking "pommes frites", you are cooking french fries you bought at walmart in the frozen section. Likewise with "pommes puree"...you just made mashed potatoes, you aren't french, stop pretending to be.

Also how people posting what they cooked like to add in superfluous adjectives. You don't have to say "a nice avocado" or a "delicate onion" or whatever, just say what it is, nobody's impressed.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013
Today I learned that "capsicum" is apparently pretentious. I just thought that's what they were called :(

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

aardwolf posted:

Today I learned that "capsicum" is apparently pretentious. I just thought that's what they were called :(

It is in

Wikipedia posted:

Australia, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Singapore and New Zealand.

If you're not in one of those places it sounds pretty silly.

e: also scientifically everywhere

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Theres been an increase of people who drive through red lights/take a left on red around my work lately and it's driving me insane. Everyone has to be hyper careful about crossing the street now because a bunch of assholes decided they're done waiting and gun it without looking.

Also, people who take an exit from the inside lane of a roundabout. The one that I have to go through is set up with two lanes: An outer one that has multiple one-lane exits and an inner one. There are signs posted that say you have to be in the outer lane to use the exits, but theres always someone who decides to take an exit from the inner lane. This really sucks as a pedestrian because they never check for pedestrians before doing so and I've almost been hit a few times despite having right of way.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
There's an intersection near my house where a major road intersects a smaller road, and people on the major road just seem to assume they have right of way because they're more important people on a more important road or some poo poo. There's four-way traffic lights on a timer and every single light change, the people on the major road run through all the yellow and the first few seconds of red, so that when you're on the smaller road you sit there with YOUR light green waiting for all these people who are running THEIR red light to clear the loving intersection so you can actually go through, and by the time they've finished the smaller road's light has turned yellow. There's usually enough time for exactly two or three cars to move from the smaller road before the lights change again. Every time I'm sat there at a green light waiting for six more fuckheads in giant loving Texas Edition pickup trucks to clear the loving intersection I wish I could make their cars explode through sheer hatred

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Nothing to see here, fat fingers on phone.

Maybe that's a pet peeve? Sure.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Ginny posted:

"I'm sorry, I don't feel like having a conversation right now."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

There are a couple of four-way intersections near my house where there are crossings on three sides but not the fourth, which often means standing around waiting for lights longer, and I don't see any advantage to it for anyone.

So if I want to get from green to yellow, I have to cross to red first, regardless of which way traffic is currently going. If I want to get to blue I have to cross the street three times instead of once. It makes no sense to me.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Tiggum posted:

There are a couple of four-way intersections near my house where there are crossings on three sides but not the fourth, which often means standing around waiting for lights longer, and I don't see any advantage to it for anyone.

So if I want to get from green to yellow, I have to cross to red first, regardless of which way traffic is currently going. If I want to get to blue I have to cross the street three times instead of once. It makes no sense to me.

I can see why they would do that, but now that you mention it there really isn't a good reason.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
loving Safeway. Ever since I got injured six weeks ago, I've been ordering grocery delivery since I couldn't push the cart around or hold a basket while using the walker. Literally every order has had something missing. This week about 30% of my order was missing and I don't mean on the "out of stock" list--I was charged for it and the receipt says I have the items. It was a big order so I signed off without checking everything because I felt bad for the guy having to wait when he was clearly busy. So now I have to fight to get a partial refund AND I still have to go to the grocery store during the biggest food week of the year, still partially disabled, and fight the crowds to get the remaining things I need for Thanksgiving dinner. And I never got a handicapped placard because "well, I'm not REALLY disabled," and "I'm sure I'll be better in a few days, anyway."

Maybe I should have started shopping earlier, but a lot of the ingredients were fresh produce and if I'd ordered them too soon they'd be gone over by Thursday.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Tiggum posted:

The Chinatown here has diagonal crosswalks and it owns. More places should get them.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Ginny posted:

Third peeve, she talks SO MUCH, about everything. I feel like her boyfriend or therapist at this point. What annoys me the most is that sometimes I'm super tired and I make it VERY obvious I don't want to talk and I'm not interested in what she's saying, and she just keeps going. It's like those old people that grab you on the bus and won't stop talking poo poo, even if you purposely just reply with "mm" and "aha". Do people not understand that? Are they THAT self absorbed?
I've got a coworker just like this, only he's also a Nice Guy who constantly complains about being single. No one can stand him because he doesn't do his job, interrupts other people's conversations with his own bullshit and never shuts up. Once I got taken out of my department (it's usually pretty dead) to stock candy and when I went on my hour, I asked him to take over since he wasn't doing anything. After I went back, I asked if he'd finished it. He said yes. Walked by the candy near the end of the night and oh look, he didn't do poo poo and just spent the whole hour talking at the poor phone guys. rear end in a top hat just laughed and walked away when I confronted him about it. Found out later that he was at less than half the required scan speed after months of being a cashier and the management's response was to just move him to our department and make him our problem instead.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

bad boy in the boy band posted:

Are you one of those people who clearly and crisply enunciates every T? The only person I know who doesn't sound overwrought doing that is a native Arabic speaker.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Mu Zeta posted:

The Chinatown here has diagonal crosswalks and it owns. More places should get them.

Fun fact, you can do that at any intersection that has a dedicated ped phase- i.e. "Walk" on every approach for a period of time. It's called a scramble, and it doesn't have to be specially marked.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
"Hey, have you played [new game] yet? It's so good!"

"I tried it for a few hours, but didn't like it. The control scheme is counterintuitive, the battle system is needlessly convoluted, and it's buggy as heck."

"Whatever. You just don't like it because it's popular."

People who pull this poo poo can go trip and fall into a particularly stagnant mud puddle. You're right, buddy, my critiques and opinions about something are completely invalid because a bunch of people like it :jerkbag:

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Drones. Especially people who fly drones over my balcony, and once crashed into my kitchen window. Or when the police have to ask people to please no fly drones over a fire because it hinders the fire brigade from doing their job. See also people who fly drones over accident sites.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

cyberia posted:

"I'm sorry, I don't feel like having a conversation right now."

You wouldn't believe the number of people who would be outrageously offended if you actually said this. At least where I'm from, the only polite way to disengage with an overly chatty person is to either leave the room or to never get into the situation in the first place. Which is ridiculous, but anything else makes you look like an intolerable rear end in a top hat.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
People who don't shovel their sidewalks/driveways. It snowed 3 days ago, there's tire tracks in the snow so I know you're home, everyone else took care of their part, why is there packed down snow and ice for 30' here? Ya jerk.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Antioch posted:

People who don't shovel their sidewalks/driveways. It snowed 3 days ago, there's tire tracks in the snow so I know you're home, everyone else took care of their part, why is there packed down snow and ice for 30' here? Ya jerk.

People like that make me glad I live in a place where the sidewalks are plowed by the city.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

WAIT FOR ME TO ALIGHT BEFORE BOARDING THE TRAIN YOU FUCKS :argh:

Why is it always only the Derry line train, I don't want to think Derry is full of cunts but you're not giving me a lot of options here being such a bunch of bastards every day

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Obvious shoveling peeve: clearing out your driveway, and then the street and sidewalk plows come by making two dense, hard walls of hellsnow which are even harder to remove than the original snow.

Also, no matter how long I'm gone, say six hours for work or all night at a friend's house, somehow the street space I dug my car out of is still a mess that I have to gently caress my way back into. Invariably the plow comes by after that, adding another damnable layer to the fortification, a treat for the next morning.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
"Oh you're a writer? Have you heard of TVTropes?/Are you gonna do NaNoWriMo?"

Apparently I can just sorta pretend to care about my deadline once a year and ditch my reference library for an exhaustive list of panty shots. And that's from the other students.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Antioch posted:

People who have driveways but choose to leave them empty and park their entire fleet of cars on the street, sometimes on both sides of a street where it's too narrow to get past easily. I see this poo poo all the time in neighborhoods everywhere here, then people get pissy when you tell them to move their goddamn TardCruiser so people can get past safely without 2 cars being face-to-face in a stalemate because neither can move right or left.