Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serf
May 5, 2011

TyrantWD posted:

One third of Democrat's representation in the House come from CA, NY and MA, and funding largely comes from your big coastal cities. It's not just the CEO tier of individual who shares their views. A large number of the people who live in these areas are from households pulling in six figures, and whose beliefs aren't radically different from Lloyd Blankfein's or Jamie Dimon's. Minorities scared shitless by the GOP and this group of coastal liberals are the majority of the Democratic Party.

Those people are not part of the global capitalist elite. They are just as much have-nots as me and everyone I know. The truly rich are so far removed from us that they might as well be a different species.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
I know you like to post the same exact post every so often but there's plenty of people living in coastal states who aren't rich and vote Democrat.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Fiction posted:

I know you like to post the same exact post every so often but there's plenty of people living in coastal states who aren't rich and vote Democrat.

i bet it's the same person behind mysteriousstranger lol

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Karl, I know that got a bit off topic, I think we mostly just have disagreements on effective rhetoric. Which is fine. We both agree on the importance of at least having some narrative counter in the response instead of an empty correction and thats what is important

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Fiction posted:

Not to mention that the Democratic party's focus on the coastal elites at the expense of everyone else has already left them in a really lovely position. You can't really control the government with just the presidency and the coastal states.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Karl Sharks posted:

but my point is you can't do that every time

and that point was already made and i agreed wholeheartedly, which is why i thought you were trying to make another

Guess we wound up arguing in circles then, whoops. Like I said, dive bar grade politics chat, poo poo like this happens. My bad.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

logikv9 posted:

people are morons that don't understand taxes except that they're bad for nebulous reasons so "paying taxes is a good thing" won't resonate with most voters

i used to have a MORE TAXES bumper sticker

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Serf posted:

we could coddle them right into a guillotine

Now you're speaking my language :getin:

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

Karl, I know that got a bit off topic, I think we mostly just have disagreements on effective rhetoric. Which is fine. We both agree on the importance of at least having some narrative counter in the response instead of an empty correction and thats what is important

i mean, as i've said, i agree with like 95% of what you're saying, i just don't think ceding the power to create their own reality uncontested to the current party in power is a good thing? (e: to which i mean i agree with this post, just trying to reiterate my original point)

to me it's like, not to the same degree but gently caress it, your house burning down behind you while you talk about how awesome the remodeling you're going to do on your kitchen

you can keep ignoring the raging fire behind you and talk positively, but you probably should pick up a hose for at least a few minutes, you know?

there's tactics that word for inspiring your base and tactics that work when needing to confront the other side's ideas, each situation needs a ratio of the two types, it really should be heavily skewed towards your own positive message, but doesn't mean you leave out facts and pushing back on important issues/statements that are being lied about

Karl Sharks has issued a correction as of 00:40 on Nov 22, 2016

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Serf posted:

Those people are not part of the global capitalist elite. They are just as much have-nots as me and everyone I know. The truly rich are so far removed from us that they might as well be a different species.

That truly rich tier of individual, whose grand kids will never have to worry about money, are a tiny fraction of the population and largely Republican. There are millions of Democratic households on the coasts that are every bit a believer in our current brand of capitalism as the CEOs and hedge fund managers of the world - perhaps they don't care about carried interest as much - but that's about it. The Democrats can't afford to lose this group.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Top City Homo posted:

nasty guy

what a nasty guy

lyin' TyrantWD

For real, this is the kind of person we have to watch out for. An anti-revolutionary, if you will.

Serf
May 5, 2011

TyrantWD posted:

That truly rich tier of individual, whose grand kids will never have to worry about money, are a tiny fraction of the population and largely Republican. There are millions of Democratic households on the coasts that are every bit a believer in our current brand of capitalism as the CEOs and hedge fund managers of the world - perhaps they don't care about carried interest as much - but that's about it. The Democrats can't afford to lose this group.

Good thing those people won't be affected then?

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Serf posted:

Oh no, they may have to pay more taxes though :ohdear:

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Serf posted:

Railing against the elites tends to lump everyone who is not struggling into the "elite" group.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
Bullshit.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

TyrantWD posted:

Railing against the elites tends to lump everyone who is not struggling into the "elite" group.

only if you do it in a stupid way

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

There is something wrong with your brain if you are offended by people insulting the elites.

Nobody you know

know elites.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Nonsense posted:

There is something wrong with your brain if you are offended by people insulting the elites.

Nobody you know

know elites.

every time i see you post i'm tempted to report you for forcing me to look at ted cruz :mad:

Serf
May 5, 2011

TyrantWD posted:

You get out that wealth inequality chart and you loving circle the top point in I guess neon lights or some poo poo and say "this is who we're after. The unimaginably wealthy"

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Karl Sharks posted:

every time i see you post i'm tempted to report you for forcing me to look at ted cruz :mad:

At least it's not the gif of him eating it

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

OK I think I got it.

How about TAX FREEZE?

As in, "I will push Congress to institute a TAX FREEZE on the middle class while we close corporate loopholes and force the 1% to pay their fair, overdue share."

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Serf posted:

You get out that wealth inequality chart and you loving circle the top point in I guess neon lights or some poo poo and say "this is who we're after. The unimaginably wealthy"

Hello America. Did you know the corporate elite made more in bonuses this year than every minimum wage worker combined, yet they oppose raising the minimum wage?

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

TyrantWD posted:

why do you insist in being a defender of the elite? They don't defend you from anything...

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Grey Fox posted:

OK I think I got it.

How about TAX FREEZE?

As in, "I will push Congress to institute a TAX FREEZE on the middle class while we close corporate loopholes and force the 1% to pay their fair, overdue share."

how can you freeze things if global warming? checkmate, liberals

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Grey Fox posted:

OK I think I got it.

How about TAX FREEZE?

hillary literally campaigned on "not raising taxes for anyone earning less than a quarter mil"

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Karl Sharks posted:

how can you freeze things if global warming? checkmate, liberals
Uhhh didn't you get the memo??? Globing warming is going to be solved once the Dems are back in control, believe me.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

hillary literally campaigned on "not raising taxes for anyone earning less than a quarter mil"
Gosh that's a lot of words that aren't TAX FREEZE.

TAX FREEZE

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

For real, this is the kind of person we have to watch out for. An anti-revolutionary, if you will.

considering your last posts I assume you want him beheaded?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

:toot:

ChickenOfTomorrow has issued a correction as of 22:17 on Jan 21, 2017

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Serf posted:

Reminder the "elite" in America are less then 1000 people.

Overt hostility is fine.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

TyrantWD posted:

Then they can join them. :commissar:

cams
Mar 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/NBCPolitics/status/800859486596567040

that headline

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

she is the mostly democrat yes

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

do they explain how she's the socialest

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Serf posted:

Not a Step posted:

Hello America. Did you know the corporate elite made more in bonuses this year than every minimum wage worker combined, yet they oppose raising the minimum wage?

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

They made twice as much in bonuses as all of the minimum wage earners.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

comingafteryouall posted:

They made twice as much in bonuses as all of the minimum wage earners.

can i get a source please?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/keithellison/status/800763140468183040

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Keith was on Keeping It 1600 this week too. He's most definitely out on a charm tour.

• Locked thread