Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Monaghan posted:

If you can max out your rrsp limit every year, you are rich, hope this helps.

Do you mean max out the 25K limit ($140K income or so IIRC), or max out the personal limit of 18% of income?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Same here, just a regular guy who maxes RRSP, tuition credits and sets up a very common family trust corp to dividend out income to family members and evenly distribute lifetime capital gains exemptions from sale of capital. Who we really need to target are the rich people with mansions and fancy cars and chinese accents.

Please never stop posting.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Do you mean max out the 25K limit ($140K income or so IIRC), or max out the personal limit of 18% of income?

Both for the most part. If you can put 18% of your income into retirement savings you seem to be doing pretty well off.

It gets a little more iffy when people put money into an rrsp for a downpayment of a house, which is yet another stupid policy.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Hi Justin Trudeau I would like to know how you're going to help average middle class people like us who have problems like figuring out the tax implications of dual citizenship and multi million dollar real estate holdings combined with huge family income?

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 25, 2017

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

cowofwar posted:

Hi Justin Trudeau I would like to know how you're going to help average middle class people like us who have problems like figuring out the tax implications of dual citizenship and multi million dollar real estate holdings in NYC combined with a $500,000 family income?

I see you also read the Financial post personal finance section

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

McGavin posted:

You're saying this like housing isn't most of the economy.

Old school. The future is in tulips. Get in on the ground floor now!

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Hexigrammus posted:

Old school. The future is in tulips. Get in on the ground floor now!

No man the future is coal, Nova Scotia plans to still burn it in 2030 and Ottawa has committed to subsidizing that activity.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

cowofwar posted:

No man the future is coal, Nova Scotia plans to still burn it in 2030 and Ottawa has committed to subsidizing that activity.

That is only 13 years from now, so unless they are already planning/building alternatives, expect that date to get pushed back.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ocrumsprug posted:

That is only 13 years from now, so unless they are already planning/building alternatives, expect that date to get pushed back.

No, they're planning to burn it still in 2030 and indefinitely afterwards, not that they're planning to stop burning it in 2030.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
In today's Manitoba throne speech the PC party promised to pass a law limiting wage increases for unionized public sector employees, this will end well.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Subjunctive posted:

No, they're planning to burn it still in 2030 and indefinitely afterwards, not that they're planning to stop burning it in 2030.

Oh so it is just a coal burning subsidy until 2030 funding announcement.

Is this peak :canada: yet?

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

DariusLikewise posted:

In today's Manitoba throne speech the PC party promised to pass a law limiting wage increases for unionized public sector employees, this will end well.

And they accuse unions of being NDP stooges as if they have no reason to dislike the PCs

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Jason Kenney is a man of utmost integrity. He is committed to rebuilding the public's trust in the Alberta Progressive Conservatives

quote:

Jason Kenney’s leadership campaign has been hit with a $5,000 fine for flouting the rules at last week’s Progressive Conservative delegate selection meeting in Edmonton-Ellerslie.

A new delegate selection meeting has also been ordered.

In a 10-page ruling, the party’s chief returning officer, Rob Dunseith, found the Kenney campaign’s hospitality suite with free food and booze, just 15 paces from where delegates for the March leadership convention were being selected, was “precisely the type and locality of campaigning” rules were meant to prohibit.

Further, Dunseith found that Kenney, who wants to dissolve the Progressive Conservative party and unite it with Wildrose, should not have entered the Mill Woods golf course clubhouse at all.

Kenney’s presence and the suite caused a heated debate in the hallway of the building before the start of the meeting Wednesday night, and resulted in two official complaints made by the leadership campaigns of Richard Starke and Bryon Nelson.

In response to those complaints, Kenney’s campaign manager John Weissenberger questioned the clarity of the rules, which say campaigning can’t occur “in or near” the room where a delegate selection meeting is being held.

But Dunseith found the hospitality suite “was obviously meant to sway voters, or reinforce their resolve to support Kenney delegates.”

As for Kenney entering the club house, Dunseith agreed with Weissenberger that “what constitutes ‘near’ is open for debate.”

It’s all about context, he said — being near enough to catch a baby is very different from being too near to an atomic explosion — but concluded “that context is not difficult here.”

Kenney was walking among delegates waiting to attend the meeting, he found; delegates who were entitled to vote “without being subject to last-minute campaigning or pressure.”

All four candidates in the PC leadership battle have put up a $20,000 good behaviour bond.

While Dunseith found Kenney’s breach wasn’t serious enough to warrant full forfeiture of that cash, he noted two “aggravating factors” in recommending a $5,000 fine.

First, comments of Kenney organizer Alan Hallman who, when warned that his campaign would risk a fine if the candidate came into proximity of the meeting, said the campaign could afford it.

There was also the “‘inescapable appearance” that Kenney’s campaign decided to test the boundaries of the campaign rules rather than asking for guidance around their specific plans for the evening.

Dunseith recommended that a portion of the fine be used to defray the costs of a second delegate selection meeting.

All 15 of the delegates selected at the last meeting, along with the five alternates, were aligned with the Kenney camp.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Just thought I'd tear myself away from the Trump tire fire to ask the experts in this thread when our inevitable far-right disaster is coming. America is Trump, Britain has Brexit and probably permanent Tory rule, France is about to elect Le Pen, where should I be watching for the far-right nationalist-populist-racist wave to make landfall here? Or will we not need our own when Trump annexes Canada after Trudeau throws shade at him on Twitter?

Trudeau might be an insubstantial neo-liberal (I mean I assume, I'm not paying attention) but globally speaking that's beating the average by far these days.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Canadian Fascism will occur on August 29, 1997

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

cowofwar posted:

It's impossible to mock our current era. :suicide:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Dolash posted:

Just thought I'd tear myself away from the Trump tire fire to ask the experts in this thread when our inevitable far-right disaster is coming. America is Trump, Britain has Brexit and probably permanent Tory rule, France is about to elect Le Pen, where should I be watching for the far-right nationalist-populist-racist wave to make landfall here? Or will we not need our own when Trump annexes Canada after Trudeau throws shade at him on Twitter?

Trudeau might be an insubstantial neo-liberal (I mean I assume, I'm not paying attention) but globally speaking that's beating the average by far these days.

Just go back 30 pages to the day after whenever the election was and read the thread, this is getting to be a really tiresome topic.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Unlike all the other topics on which we're bravely breaking new, exciting ground daily?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Subjunctive posted:

It's okay, we can just watch and learn from our southern neighbours once they start creating thousands of jobs around clean coal.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

THC posted:

Canadian Fascism will occur on August 29, 1997

RIP Princess Diana

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

He sure is! That's why you can play NatPo's Jason Kenney Video Game.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

PT6A posted:

Unlike all the other topics on which we're bravely breaking new, exciting ground daily?

Not saying that, at this point I'd just really rather hear bickering about real estate or something about Trudeau being an idiot or loving up the MMIW inquiry or something, anything, other than more exhausting repeated poo poo about the USA or Trump or Clinton.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Dolash posted:

Its not inevitable, even in France LePen is far from unbeatable; the FN has gotten through a first round only to be smashed in the second before. I'm not sure if a Canadian version of Trumpian nationalism can really work; it would be tricky to pull off the same kind of ethnic nationalism in both English and French Canada simultaneously, and the CPC was dependant on support from middle-class urban minorities for its majority. Plus the two most probable vessels for Trumpism in Canada are a university professor with the charisma of a pamphlet on STD awareness and 'the Dragon's Den guy' AKA budget Trump. I'll start getting worried when Don Cherry starts showing interest in a CPC leadership run.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Whoever brought up Leitch on CBC the other day, just... ugh. So combative, reductive, and some brutally inherent inconsistencies to her "logic". I refuse to believe she has the charisma to mount a reactionary populist uprising, but then I thought the same for old Trumper, so what do I know?

Minor but all I could hear and the most salient point I took away from the interview - she used, repeatedly and exclusively, the phrase "guys and gals", when referring to people, and it made me inexplicably rageful.

Also, the Sask. government fleeced a convent of nuns in the GTH land transaction deal. Someone (some people) will be going to jail for this in a few years time, most certainly.

Saskatchewan is also running a billion dollar deficit which is just :lol:. I have no idea what it is going to take to squeeze the rooted sebum that is Brad Wall out of the surface of Sask politics, because apparently outright corruption, obfuscation and hilarious budgetary mismanagement simply isn't enough.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Dolash posted:

quote:

Spike in interest rates could trigger housing crash: CMHC

Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp. stress tested remote scenarios based on extreme examples, including a U.S.-style housing correction, to demonstrate that CMHC has the capital requirements to weather a serious financial storm.

Mississauga News
By Tess Kalinowski

A severe global economic depression could cut Canadian housing prices by 25 per cent and push unemployment to 13.5 per cent, according to stress testing done by Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp. (CMHC).

But the federal housing agency says it could withstand the $3-billion loss it would suffer under that scenario — one of several tested to ensure CMHC’s mortgage insurance and securitization businesses can withstand a severe economic storm.

The results aren’t considered predictions or forecasts and the extreme scenarios that CMHC models “have a very remote chance of happening,” said chief risk officer Romy Bowers.

The tests demonstrate that CMHC has the capital requirements to weather a serious financial storm, said Jason Friesen of Verico Premier Mortgage Centre Inc.

“It helps pacify taxpayer risk that CMHC could collapse should any market dynamics shift at all. It really doesn’t have an immediate or direct impact on any bank decisions as they will also analyze their own exposure and risk to any serious changes to the markets,” he said.

iPolitics posted:

The EKOS poll: Are Canadians getting more racist?

iPolitics Insights

Frank Graves

Canada has been singularly successful as a multicultural nation. While Europe and America have torn themselves apart over issues of immigration and race, we’ve been lucky in avoiding strife. Our luck may be running out.

Our polling is tracking an erosion of Canadians’ openness to diversity and immigration. Much of this may be due to a looming federal election in which rhetoric about terrorism and cultural accommodation is bound to play a prominent role. Attitudes to immigration are in flux and we appear to be turning into a less open society.

Questions of race and religious dress have rarely been ballot box issues in Canada. Now, however, they appear to be the key factors behind major shifts in the voter landscape.

Canada has absorbed a large number of visible minority immigrants over the past twenty years, turning us from a largely white society with ancestry drawn from Britain and France to an extremely heterogeneous one. Initial deep reservations about immigration dropped consistently over that period as we became more diverse. The public embraced the ideal of multiculturalism; dire warnings about ethnic enclaves and a fading national identity never came true. Our research over that period shows national attachment remained very high in Canada, while ethnic identifications actually dropped.

It’s useful to remember how far apart public opinion in Canada and the United States was following the 9/11 terrorist attacks. In both countries there was a sharp, immediate rise in opposition to immigration. In Canada, however, that trend soon dissipated, reaching an all-time low around 2005 — when only 25 per cent of us said there were too many immigrants and less than one in five said that too many immigrants were visible-minority. In the U.S., the level of opposition to immigration was nearly three times higher. Canada remained a nation open to the world: pro trade, pro-immigration and pro-diversity. This seemed to confer both social and economic advantages.

But something has changed.

Recent polling shows opposition to immigration has nearly doubled since 2005 and is threatening to crack the 53 per cent level we saw in 1993. Not only is opposition to immigration in general scaling heights not seen in twenty years but the number of Canadians saying we admit too many visible minorities has just cracked the 40-point ceiling for the first time ever.

quote:

Most Canadians Say Political Correctness Has Gone 'Too Far': Angus Reid Institute Poll
The Huffington Post Canada | By Ryan Maloney

A majority of Canadians believe that political correctness infringes too much on their freedom of expression, a new poll suggests.

The numbers released Monday from the Angus Reid Institute show that 76 per cent of respondents think political correctness — loosely defined as the avoidance of certain words or actions that might offend marginalized groups — has gone "too far."

Eighty-two per cent of Canadians over the age of 55 said they shared that view, compared to 78 per cent of those between 35-54. Sixty-seven per cent of those 18-34 feel the same.

The raw materials are there for a right-wing backlash but nobody's successfully put them together yet and there's no obvious national political figure to champion the hard right.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Helsing posted:

The raw materials are there but nobody's successfully put them together yet

Canadian innovation and industry in an nutshell. We'll end up exporting our raw racism for pennies and import some processed right wing politics from abroad.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Canada has always been racist. People are just way more open about it now.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Helsing posted:

The raw materials are there for a right-wing backlash but nobody's successfully put them together yet and there's no obvious national political figure to champion the hard right.

I'm at work so pretend I posted a picture of Don Cherry in response to this.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Prime Minister Donald S. Cherry is probably the most terrifying Canadian thing. Only because there are people who unironically would want him as PM and take every word he says as unparalleled wisdom.

Oh god, he also has a twitter account and does his lovely hot takes on there too

We're doomed.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
he's 82 I doubt he's doing any kind of running

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

little do you know, he's an immortal lich that feeds off the souls of dead cops/soldiers and his suits are made from the tapestries of hell itself

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
The National Post put out a little game about Jason Kenny's quest to unite the right, called (fittingly) Kenny's Quest: Episode 1.

quote:

A fallen government. A province in chaos. A saviour from the east.

Former Conservative MP Jason Kenney has returned to Alberta to heed the call of Destiny. With sword in hand, he has vowed to vanquish the NDP usurpers and unite the province. But much stands in his way.

In Kenney’s Quest: Episode 1, you’ll help Kenney win the leadership of the decimated Alberta PC party. Complete quests to win support from potential PC Alberta and Wildrose voters as you vanquish enemies and prove your worthiness as Alberta’s (presumptuous) leader.

Alberta has seen much darkness in recent years. Jason Kenney’s path is darker still…

It's hilarious.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Fallen Hamprince posted:

Plus the two most probable vessels for Trumpism in Canada are a university professor with the charisma of a pamphlet on STD awareness and 'the Dragon's Den guy' AKA budget Trump. I'll start getting worried when Don Cherry starts showing interest in a CPC leadership run.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Oh :nms: that poo poo, dude!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

There's something wrong with his facial proportions but I can't quite figure it out.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

There's something wrong with his facial proportions but I can't quite figure it out.

too much face and not enough head

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's the lizard inside trying to break through.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

yellowcar posted:

too much face and not enough head

Actually, he gets plenty of that at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888