Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
The devs must have heard this criticism right? Have they responded at all, everything I've seen of that game (and experienced, played it for a little bit when it first came out) has made it seem like a game that should be great but for a few decisions. Seems easily fixable and they could just make it a toggle you select early on if they want to preserve the original version for the "hardcore".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well as an update it got even less fun, I found a couple rooms that have the hammers that follow you and smash down doing an 8-way split bullet spread. I really really want to continue liking this game but it's making it so hard on me. Also I went into this with 7 heart containers and 5 of them were empty because the game didn't give me a single health drop for the whole last floor. :T

thebardyspoon posted:

The devs must have heard this criticism right? Have they responded at all, everything I've seen of that game (and experienced, played it for a little bit when it first came out) has made it seem like a game that should be great but for a few decisions. Seems easily fixable and they could just make it a toggle you select early on if they want to preserve the original version for the "hardcore".

Funnily enough, the drop rates used to be even worse, especially rewards for room clears. The game used to not have any guaranteed drops. Now you're guaranteed one key per floor, at least. They have heard the criticisms, I guess they just don't think it's as bad as it is.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I'm pretty sure the devs want Gungeon to be how it is, because if you want a shooty roguelite that's fun to play you can gently caress off and play Nuclear Throne instead. This is a game that's for real gamers, in that it sucks.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

CJacobs posted:

The moment when "I will win if I keep trying" becomes "I will win if everything aligns properly" is when the idea of winning a roguelike becomes a problem, and Spelunky leans real hard toward the latter. It's a game very focused on player skill and situational awareness, but it has infinite ways to gently caress you over and make it so your skill just isn't enough. FTL is the exact same way, sometimes you just get screwed by the RNG and your run is doomed. And even though there's nothing you could have done, it's not like the game has a built-in "sorry you lost but this time it was our bad" feature, it just says game over like it always does, implying it was still your fault.

Ok, you see, with both games I really don't think that's much of an issue, at least not more than other Roguelikes. It can be hard to admit, but especially in FTL you pretty much always have the ability to fight your way out of a given situation so long as you aren't using ludicrously gimped ships like the engie B ship. It just all comes down to clever and pragmatic decisions with weapons and systems that buffer against that RNG. There are people who can win every time, on hard, without pausing at all. And FTL isn't really much about twitch skills so much as planning skills so I find it more approachable than something like Nuclear Throne.

Spelunky is more difficult but whenever I play and die my reaction tends to be initial outrage at whatever bullshit killed me followed by a bit of a more measured thought that if had done X differently (and I kind of knew I should of at the time) I wouldn't have been killed by said bullshit. I firmly believe anybody can win that game easily enough so long as they just slow down and look before they jump.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
That's funny because the only roguelike I can think of where I feel like dying is always my fault is Nuclear Throne.

e: Actually Crypt of the Necrodancer is like that too, but that's because if you strip away the rhythm game part the roguelike part is super easy.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

RyokoTK posted:

That's funny because the only roguelike I can think of where I feel like dying is always my fault is Nuclear Throne.

e: Actually Crypt of the Necrodancer is like that too, but that's because if you strip away the rhythm game part the roguelike part is super easy.

I'm not a big fan of NT anymore, I think its a lot easier to get killed in an instant there than Spelunky even, and its worn down my patience. Doesn't have much variation either. Weirdly enough I find Gungeon more enjoyable now for top down shooter roguelikes.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I posted about RCT3's awful terrain editing tools last night before bed and woke up still vaguely upset about them. Seriously, gently caress that poo poo.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
"That's a lovely non-lethal run you've got there!" said Dishonored 2. "Want me to forget you knocked out some of those enemies three quarters of a level ago and randomly kill them when you engage the non-lethal option?"

Save before engaging the third non-lethal option (requires a lever pull) and check your stats in the menu (Esc) afterwards. If you get random unexplained deaths they're likely certain ladies. You'll have to prowl the level, find them, reload the pre-lever pull save, find them again, and from a safe distance, sleep dart the unconscious bodies so the game remembers they're knocked out for realsies.
Bethesda!

e: Spelling.

I agree GHOST MOM is a bit unsubtle. I do like that Corvo and/or Emily/Daud not being assholes may have given the Outsider some of his humanity back.

Lunar Suite has a new favorite as of 17:19 on Nov 20, 2016

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

khwarezm posted:

I'm not a big fan of NT anymore, I think its a lot easier to get killed in an instant there than Spelunky even, and its worn down my patience. Doesn't have much variation either. Weirdly enough I find Gungeon more enjoyable now for top down shooter roguelikes.
I've long since come to terms with the fact that I'll never be good enough to beat the rear end in a top hat bird boss in world 5

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
A fun roguelike experience that I dicked around with recently was actually a mod for Doom/Doom2 that's based around the Doom Roguelike called DoomRL Arsenal that loads using GZDoom. Add to that Oblige, a random level generator and you've got a customizable roguelite experience in Doom.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I've long since come to terms with the fact that I'll never be good enough to beat the rear end in a top hat bird boss in world 5

I was at that point once too. You'll get past him. NT is a game that you can pretty much get better at by smashing your face into it.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Lunar Suite posted:

"That's a lovely non-lethal run you've got there!" said Dishonored 2. "Want me to forget you knocked out some of those enemies three quarters of a level ago and randomly kill them when you engage the non-lethal option?"

Save before engaging the third non-lethal option (requires a lever pull) and check your stats in the menu (Esc) afterwards. If you get random unexplained deaths they're likely certain ladies. You'll have to prowl the level, find them, reload the pre-lever pull save, find them again, and from a safe distance, sleep dart the unconscious bodies so the game remembers they're knocked out for realsies.
Bethesda!

e: Spelling.

I agree GHOST MOM is a bit unsubtle. I do like that Corvo and/or Emily/Daud not being assholes may have given the Outsider some of his humanity back.

I've given up on a non lethal run of Mankind Divided. After knocking out all the gangsters attacking the bookstore guy, I searched the bodies for loot and found a couple straight-up corpses amid all the unconscious guys even though I only used the nonlethal takedowns and the stun gun. I didn't think too much of it at the time but then the same thing happened in the ARC facility and Talos was like "for the love of god stop killing my men! They didn't do anything to you! :qq:" when I confronted him.

I don't know if it's a glitch or if the bad guys are drilling their own men trying to shoot me or what but after the mission where you sneak into a crime scene to steal evidence from the cops which I also played non-lethally, the guy who gave me the mission asked if I had any trouble with the cops and Adam said "well, they shot first, so I ended it" while the quest giver stared at me like :stonk: and the news article about the mission was about the cops being massacred by an augmented terrorist so I have to assume the same thing happened there too.

So now I'm just playing as this hardened Robocop psycho because if the game's going to treat me like a savage killer because the bad guys can't stop shooting each other's asses off I may as well actually be a savage killer.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I don't know if it's a glitch or if the bad guys are drilling their own men trying to shoot me or what but after the mission where you sneak into a crime scene to steal evidence from the cops which I also played non-lethally, the guy who gave me the mission asked if I had any trouble with the cops and Adam said "well, they shot first, so I ended it" while the quest giver stared at me like :stonk: and the news article about the mission was about the cops being massacred by an augmented terrorist so I have to assume the same thing happened there too.

If it makes you feel better, I stealthed my way through the crime scene, got spotted near the end and ran away without hurting anyone or firing a shot, and the game treated it like I butchered the lot of them. Mankind Divided's event flag system isn't very good :(

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of non-lethal, Watch Dogs 2 takes kind of the opposite direction in that they just don't acknowledge you killing anyone. The gun stuff is just kind of awkwardly in there in the first place and seems like they just did it because it was expected.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

muscles like this! posted:

Speaking of non-lethal, Watch Dogs 2 takes kind of the opposite direction in that they just don't acknowledge you killing anyone. The gun stuff is just kind of awkwardly in there in the first place and seems like they just did it because it was expected.

I've heard tons of people say that everything about the game, story and actual fun mechanics wise, seems to work off the assumption that you won't be killing dudes and that the gunplay sucks.

I would liked to have seen how people would have reacted if there were no guns or really any lethal elements in the game at all.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Game devs should just pick whether their heroes are killers or not. They never reward making the choice on a situational basis.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Dark Souls 3 gets rid of spell stacking, which I'm pretty much OK with, but it doesn't tell you how many of an item you have while shopping any more. To avoid buying duplicate spells, you gotta poke through your inventory beforehand. That was in Dark Souls 1 even, what gives? :negative:

E: whoops, apparently it's only weapons that don't show number held in shops. Still a pain in my butt!

Dewgy has a new favorite as of 23:48 on Nov 20, 2016

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Dunno if i've said it before, but gently caress fishing in Yokai Watch 2. Remember the part of Elite Beat Agents where you had to spin around a ton? thats the entire fishing minigame.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I recently platinumed World of Final Fantasy, and for the most part it's a game I really enjoyed.

However, getting one of the mirages into your party involves beating a minigame within 20 turns, a sort of tactical minesweeper combat thing where you're trying to find enemies on a battlefield while they try to find you.

The game itself isn't terrible - doing it in the required amount of turns is. It's completely luck based, has almost no skill involved except for the most basic level, and sometimes enemies will even spawn beneath your characters, meaning they can't attack them unless they move (or another character happens to be adjacent). Was the most frustrating experience of the game.

OH! Even better, there are two ways to play this: from a minigame menu, and from a replayable story event in which you can skip cutscenes, but still have to wait for them to load up first. I first finished the requirement from the minigame menu, guess which one you have to actually do it on.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I played a bit of Lords of the Fallen yesterday to try and satisfy a Dark Souls itch, and wow, does it ever fall short. Thank God the game was free on PSPlus.

The short list:
1) the game is sluggish as gently caress. Even when I had my character in the green for equip. load, rolling took forever, and there seems to be a persistent delay on every action from when I press the button to when it actually executes.
2) The hitboxes. Enemy hitboxes, especially the bosses, are loving tiny. Like...the seems substantially smaller than their character model. I see my weapon clip though parts of them and not do damage. I initially played with tyhe Rogue loadout, but quit after my tenth attempt at the first boss because it was nearly impossible to get close enough for it to register a hit with the tiny daggers. Meanwhile, my hitbox is apparently three times my actual size, as I am nowhere near their attack but take damage.
3) The above two combine into a poo poo-fest on the second boss when it's impossible for me to get the timing right to dodge his AoE attacks. He has two of them, and then on top of that, he has an attack where projectiles rain down from the sky. There's not a lot, but they're random, so basically impossible to try and dodge, and the shield only blocks some of their damage. Since the only time he lets his shield down to get an attack in is when he does these attacks, and getting hit by them usually knocks me down, I never had enough time to get very many attacks in. I only won by eventually cheesing him with the gauntlet that shoots stuff, and then staying far enough away while my magic recharged to not get hit by the AoE attacks. Maybe that's supposed to be the strategy?

Oh, and the first spell you get is one that makes a weird duplicate of yourself to lure enemies to, but not a single one was ever fooled by it that I saw.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I remember someone describing LOTF as a game designed around really slow, deliberate combat and then forgetting about that completely when designing the enemies. It's best enjoyed as a massive heavy dude in bulky plate armour and a giant sword as a result - you can take the hits.

Even so it's a lot of wasted potential there.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Just shield dash into everything.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

LOTF is not a good game

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
I love Crusader Kings 2 and Europa Universalis 4. But by God, why is it not possible for the game to auto-pause when an ally calls you to war? Missing the window to reply (and all the negative consequences that come with auto-declining) is very realistic if you have it running on the highest speed. There doesn't seem to be a reason for it either, you can customise every. single. other. message you get, except that one. Why? Why is this glaring design flaw there?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

I remember someone describing LOTF as a game designed around really slow, deliberate combat and then forgetting about that completely when designing the enemies.
My god, it's such a shameless Dark Souls clone that it even managed to copy 3 before it came out.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

I remember someone describing LOTF as a game designed around really slow, deliberate combat and then forgetting about that completely when designing the enemies. It's best enjoyed as a massive heavy dude in bulky plate armour and a giant sword as a result - you can take the hits.

Even so it's a lot of wasted potential there.

The other thread also described it as "the best bad-game ever". There's so much great stuff in there, but it's still staggeringly poo poo to play.

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.
Look, Game Freak, I realize you're jizzing your pants about having PS2-era graphics in a handheld, but that doesn't mean that I want five-minute tutorial cutscenes from a self-professed pacifist - particularly not in my game about cockfighting pocket monsters. Just give me an "I've been playing games these games since Gen I" Tutorial Skip Option already and let me get to the meat of the damned game.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It'd be neat if you punched in RED as your name and it skipped the first 20 minutes and set text speed to maximum.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

oldpainless posted:

LOTF is not a good game

au contraire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uph7UltCRCQ

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Just shield dash into everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxUmdlhaxmA

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

DrBouvenstein posted:

Oh, and the first spell you get is one that makes a weird duplicate of yourself to lure enemies to, but not a single one was ever fooled by it that I saw.

The Rogue class sucks until you unlock the spell that is basically a recharging auto-kill button. I still need to finish LotF, I think I got fairly far in it but it really is just a crappier Dark Souls in every way. I will say though I do love the map design. Even if it's a little bland sometimes it has a great layout and some really nice design work.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Rampant Dwickery posted:

Look, Game Freak, I realize you're jizzing your pants about having PS2-era graphics in a handheld, but that doesn't mean that I want five-minute tutorial cutscenes from a self-professed pacifist - particularly not in my game about cockfighting pocket monsters. Just give me an "I've been playing games these games since Gen I" Tutorial Skip Option already and let me get to the meat of the damned game.

Easy there, James Rolfe.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Lizard Wizard posted:

Easy there, James Rolfe.

He's not wrong, not being able to skip tutorials in Pokemon in 2016 is a cardinal sin.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
For all its faults, the weirdest thing about Lords of the Fallen is that you get the best weapon in the game, My Axe, right near the beginning after maybe an hour or two of play. The only meaningful change you can make to any of the weapons is socketing runes, and for the entire remainder of the game you're coming across various weapons that are all directly inferior in one way or another. Even the secret weapons which you can unlock by completing certain optional objectives during boss fights are usually just useless gimmicks and you're better off sticking with the axe.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Judge Tesla posted:

He's not wrong, not being able to skip tutorials in Pokemon in 2016 is a cardinal sin.

Yeah, I watched an entire movie while starting Moon, and I don't think I'm out of the intro phase yet.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Like the Zelda series, Pokemon is all about deliberate slow, leisurely pacing. It's part of the experience.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Like the Zelda series, Pokemon is all about deliberate slow, leisurely pacing. It's part of the experience.

And for people who are playing the game for the first time as tens if not hundreds of thousands surely will with this generation of Pokemon, that's fine. For everybody else, a button to tell the game to scuttle along a bit faster would be nice.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
After a quick skim it looks like I'm not the only one here to complain about calling for help in the new Pokemon?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

CJacobs posted:

And for people who are playing the game for the first time as tens if not hundreds of thousands surely will with this generation of Pokemon, that's fine. For everybody else, a button to tell the game to scuttle along a bit faster would be nice.

New players will hit the skip button and then bitch up a storm when they don't know how to play.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Zubat called for help!
Zubat fainted!
Repeat.

I like the idea of having the pokemon you fight call for help that replaces the dumb horde battles, but then sometimes you just get stuck in a loop that gets more and more annoying as it goes on unless you've got Surf. Also gently caress the Grass type totem pokemon.

Slime posted:

New players will hit the skip button and then bitch up a storm when they don't know how to play.

I'd say "it's the simplest turn-based RPG there is" but I remembered that Egoraptor exists and he'd do exactly what you said.

spit on my clit has a new favorite as of 00:56 on Nov 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
I spent so long trying to catch a beldum that kept calling for help that he eventually killed himself by running out of moves and struggling to death. in hindsight I should have been alternating which beldum to keep at low health so that couldnt happen but still. Jesus christ gamefreak why.