Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Bashez posted:

I'm really surprised there's such a hubbub about this.

It's the right call and it was the right call last night I do not understand why so many people seem to have a problem with it.
they should have stopped play when they realized it or played on. It's unfair to the team that time expired on to not give them the correct information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Bashez posted:

It's the right call and it was the right call last night I do not understand why so many people seem to have a problem with it.

The player can only react to what he sees on the clock. If the clock is wrong, how the gently caress is Ross suppose to know he had less time to shoot it?

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Bashez posted:

Canadian sports fans are salty babies.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Bashez posted:

It's the right call with respect to the rules but it is not the right call with respect to what is good

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Athanatos posted:

The player can only react to what he sees on the clock. If the clock is wrong, how the gently caress is Ross suppose to know he had less time to shoot it?

Because he's on the court and has seen Cousins touch it and knows from the start of the play how long he has.

Are you actually suggesting that in 2.4 seconds Ross goes and collects a deflected pass, checks out the clock and reasons out that he has less than two seconds to shoot and then decided to use that full amount of time because he has it? This is probably the weirdest part about this. Ross isn't looking at any clocks and making sure he gets the shot, it's all by feel at that point.

What do you think would happen happen if the clock shorted out during the play and went black?

straight up brolic posted:

they should have stopped play when they realized it or played on. It's unfair to the team that time expired on to not give them the correct information.

If they stop play when they realize then they're going to restart play with almost no time on the clock and that would totally gently caress over Toronto. They played on and then reviewed it. I've never seen them review the start of the clock like that though but this is also the biggest delay I can remember seeing (not that I have a lot of these memories but Derek barf Fisher's barf .4 shot barf started real fast.)

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

It's the right call with respect to the rules but it is not the right call with respect to what is good

I mean, we have our opinions here but I think if the kings successfully run Toronto out of time they should get the win.

Smellyhead
Jun 20, 2003
Cabbages smell funny too.
If they do actually uphold this, they're setting a pretty terrible precedent here. With the way the timer played out, etc etc it basically means that any time there is a normal human delay in starting the clock, the refs have the right to overrule that so the players essentially will never know when the clock is right.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Bashez posted:

If they stop play when they realize then they're going to restart play with almost no time on the clock and that would totally gently caress over Toronto. They played on and then reviewed it. I've never seen them review the start of the clock like that though but this is also the biggest delay I can remember seeing (not that I have a lot of these memories but Derek barf Fisher's barf .4 shot barf started real fast.)
It would have hosed them over less than giving them one impression of the time left, and then ruling that the actual time was different. That makes no sense.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Bashez posted:

I mean, we have our opinions here but I think if the kings successfully run Toronto out of time they should get the win.

Time according to who? The objective measure of time for an NBA game ought to be the publicly available game clock/shot clock.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Bashez posted:

What do you think would happen happen if the clock shorted out during the play and went black?

The refs would stop the play and make sure poo poo was right before starting it.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

It still seems weird that players are supposed to have a more comprehensive understanding of time than the scoreboard operator/clocks that govern the game.

And I do think Ross sees the clock and decided "hey I can take two dribbles" instead of seeing a lesser number and thinking he will take one or none and pull up for a shot. It's not like it was a catch and shoot

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

League Pass continues to be loving trash. For all the poo poo the NBA does well, they continue to make it worse year after year.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Time according to who? The objective measure of time for an NBA game ought to be the publicly available game clock/shot clock.

That's not the objective measure of time though. Sometimes shot clocks go out and they aren't even available, they don't just start playing without a shot clock.

Athanatos posted:

The refs would stop the play and make sure poo poo was right before starting it.

If they stop play with .5 seconds left after the clock goes out there would be .5 seconds left when they started the clock the next time. This is how I've seen all clock errors handled when play actually goes on.

It would have hosed them over less than giving them one impression of the time left, and then ruling that the actual time was different. That makes no sense.

This boggles my mind.

There was no incorrect impression of the time given to the Raptors in any meaningful capacity. Ross isn't looking at the clock and determining if he should shoot it at .2 or .4 seconds left, that's ridiculous.

Both teams knew how long they had to score, and the Ratpors didn't get it done*.

*I've seen conflicting evidence on this but I'll take the NBA at it's word for now.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

so your take is that it would only be unfair if ross had an understanding of how much time was left?

vintage bashez.

Smellyhead
Jun 20, 2003
Cabbages smell funny too.

Niwrad posted:

League Pass continues to be loving trash. For all the poo poo the NBA does well, they continue to make it worse year after year.

ILP has been pathetic ever since the update. I pause a game, come back 3 minutes later and it has switched my feed or restarted the game completely or just started playing all on its own for no reason. It's atrocious.

Bashez posted:

This boggles my mind.

There was no incorrect impression of the time given to the Raptors in any meaningful capacity. Ross isn't looking at the clock and determining if he should shoot it at .2 or .4 seconds left, that's ridiculous.

You're the only person I've seen saying that he should have known exactly how much time was left and should have manually counted in his head the exact 2.4 seconds even though you can actually see him look at the clock during that 2.4 seconds. How on earth is he supposed to go "oh no, that is actually an incorrect clock because the guy touched the ball first and the referees didn't start the clock."

You're saying he should know this even though his back was turned to the clock when he was running towards the ball that had been deflected and couldn't possibly see a clock displaying the time and when it had started.

Like, really?

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

so your take is that it would only be unfair if ross had an understanding of how much time was left?

vintage bashez.

What does this mean? Everyone knew how much time was left, no one is clock watching with 2 seconds left.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I'm going with Bashez on this one because I know Bashez hates refs so it must be injuring him deeply to cross that aisle and say they got one right.

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Kings are unlucky in that they didn't get a top 3 pick to waste on Derrick Williams, Waiters, Anthony Bennett, or Evan Turner. We all know that's what would've happened.

In all seriousness the Kings are really unlucky cuz normally bad ownership is rewarded in the NBA. Like how the Sterling Clippers got CP3, the Knicks got Porzingis, Chicago got Thibs and Rose and company, etc.

Well to be fair the Kings did wind up acquiring Williams after the fact so they're a bad organization on their own just like the Knicks and the Nets (who both acquired Bargnani as well) (although all three organizations are looking promising on a five year plan!)

Also King Zing was acquired after Dolan replaced himself with Jackson, his only good move ever so we were rewarded for that. Not sure if Sterling is a great example of rewarding incompetent management since his particular management style got him banned

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

It wouldn't be fair to the Kings to have successfully defended the play and be put in to overtime anyway. That's the alternative here. Why should a clock error that apparently is reviewable and fixable nullify the Kings' stop?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Kings are unlucky in that they didn't get a top 3 pick to waste on Derrick Williams, Waiters, Anthony Bennett, or Evan Turner. We all know that's what would've happened.

You can cherry pick bad top three picks in individual cases but that's not fair. Minnesota ended up with Derrick Williams one year and later on lucked out with Towns. Turner => Embiid and Simmons. Waiters and Bennett=> Wiggins. These bad teams eventually got lucky at the right time. Kings really haven't been lucky at the right or wrong time.

Granted the Kings have been a terribly run team, but imagine how much better off they'd be if the were in a situation where they were drafting #1 or #2 in a three person draft and it was impossible to screw up

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Bashez posted:

What does this mean? Everyone knew how much time was left, no one is clock watching with 2 seconds left.

You've never seen a player short-arm a shot right before the shot clock goes off?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Kings also always managed to win just enough games to be outside the top players. They are a poster-child for being punished for not tanking. Shoulda had a process, and then trusted that process.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Ross absolutely knew how much time he had. He knew he had time to dribble and pull up instead of just heaving it at the rim as soon as he got it.

Restarting the play is a terrible suggestion because then it negates a nice defensive play by Cousins.

Thinking about it, this isn't that much unheard of. We had this argument back in the 90s before replay was allowed. Basically the officials wouldn't even bother with the clock. They'd consider the time on the clock and only count specific kinds of shots. .7 means catch and shoot, 2 seconds a single dribble and pull up, etc. I still think it was a bad call but officials used to make decisions contrary to what the clock would say or based on guestimates. The president is kind of there

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Lockback posted:

Kings also always managed to win just enough games to be outside the top players. They are a poster-child for being punished for not tanking. Shoulda had a process, and then trusted that process.

Draft 2.0????

I like how the crowd sourced guys we picked said we should draft Vonleh or Napier. I also like how we completely ignored them

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

WhyteRyce posted:

Draft 2.0????

I like how the crowd sourced guys we picked said we should draft Vonleh or Napier. I also like how we completely ignored them

There were no winners in any of that.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Athanatos posted:

You've never seen a player short-arm a shot right before the shot clock goes off?

I've seen players short arm shots with 2 seconds left on the clock.

I've seen players pull up from half court with 4 seconds left.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
https://twitter.com/jackhaveitall/status/800869781268209664

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Bashez posted:

I've seen players pull up from half court with 4 seconds left.

I've seen 19 seconds
https://youtu.be/wqb0KK2vt9w

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/3shadesofblue/status/800888202064228352

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
Sixers actually won two games in a row and have a four game winning streak at home. Feels good man.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
They should make a James Harden Wooly Willy #justgenerationaltalentthings

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Sixers 4-10, last season they didn't get their fourth win until January 4 to go 4-33.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I miss Ibaka. I'm dumping Adams and Kanter and adopting Ibaka.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sixers have won their 4th game of the season twice in 2016

:)

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I suspect this dunk is what broke the Mavs season. It was too powerful.
https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/794711633259995136
Shortly after Dirk went to the locker room with his current injury.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Jesus wept, I jinxed Ibaka. What a lovely call

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Miami Heat retiring Shaqs number. Still only like the third most laughable jersey they retired

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

NBA L2M report says the refs made the correct call at the end of the Kings Raptors game

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

WhyteRyce posted:

Draft 2.0????

"Yes I understand what you're telling me but have you considered the Nik rocks factor?"

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

WhyteRyce posted:

NBA L2M report says the refs made the correct call at the end of the Kings Raptors game

Agreed

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Capela did a great job against Drummond tonight. I'm pretty thrilled to see him really improving, at age 22 he has a lot of good ball ahead of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Spoeank posted:

"Yes I understand what you're telling me but have you considered the Nik rocks factor?"

Underrated funniest part of this was Ranadivé later claiming he didn't think Nik rocks and was forced to make the pick due to peer pressure. (In the video he is clearly peer pressuring the staff to pick him.)

• Locked thread