Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Collateral Damage posted:

Youtube is blocked at work. :( Is Cody's Lab the same guy who made a chicken sandwich from scratch?

Nope. He's this dude out in Utah who mines and keeps bees and is exactly what happens when a smart and curious kid grows up on a ranch and goes to school for mining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This is the improved version.

Full album

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I like how the reason for half of that disaster is "I couldn't be arsed to spend $20 on some proper tools/fasteners/components"

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
At least we can sleep soundly, laughing at how much he probably paid for all that copper, and how lovely it will look once it oxidizes.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I like how the reason for half of that disaster is "I couldn't be arsed to spend $20 on some proper tools/fasteners/components"

Or a lamp that isn't a fire hazard.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

More (but less) crappy ring construction.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Platystemon posted:

Full album

When you have a drill motor and *A* drill bit and literally no other tools, power or otherwise:

Jesus, a pocket knife would have done better.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
My advice would be to use a chisel.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 21, 2016

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Why would you do that? If you didn't have a tool, wouldn't it be a hundred times easier to just forget about making all the elements flush and instead put on some little legs/stands on the corners so that it doesn't wobble on the wires/connectors? I don't understand what is going on here.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Not to mention "What is glue even for? gently caress it, metal straps with a bunch of screw"

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

When you have a drill motor and *A* drill bit and literally no other tools, power or otherwise:

I like how the wood pieces don't even look to be the same size.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

I like how the wood pieces don't even look to be the same size.

Look at Mr. Rich Guy with a circular saw and a tape measure!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

xergm posted:

Look at Mr. Rich Guy with a circular saw and a tape measure!

Neither of those things are required to do it better! I mean even with the straps, just cut it after they're together!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
i am genuinely (and pleasantly) surprised that he thought to earth those pipes.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Platystemon posted:

Full album

quote:

Grounding/Earthing! I had difficulting getting the solder to adere to the copper pipe with my dinky little soldering set, so I smooshed the ground wire between the pipe and the base

Soldered, electrical taped, and zip-tied to prevent any pull apart (there shouldn't be anyway, but all hail redundancy)

:stare:

Some people should never be allowed near tools.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

spog posted:

Only because he learned the hard way when the previous version of that lamp zapped him.

quote:

So last time I was here, I posted this https://www.reddit.com/r/DIY/comments/4ag0n1/three_armed_copper_floor_lamp/ . and you guys (rightfully) tore me apart for not grounding/earthing the whole thing. Come on, I thought, how often do you see a earthed lamp? I hand waved you guys to the back of my mind. Well, after some months I maybe, might've, kinda got a little shock from it. Maybe. So here I am again, this time with something that won't be called a 'DIY housefire'

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

spog posted:

He didn't until he was told to do that after his first attempt. He even admits he got a little shock from the old one and that is why he redid it.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
My reaction to that album, in order...

:golfclap:
:confused:
:gonk:

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

DrBouvenstein posted:

We could take bets on what Cody will die of first.

Crushing injuries when the abandoned mine on his property collapses on him?
Heavy metal poisoning from all the mercury (and probably arsenic and who knows what else) he handles?
Cyanide or some other chemical poising?

He did get tested for his mercury levels

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Jusupov posted:

He did get tested for his mercury levels

Yeah, Cody is actually doing things with a reasonable amount of common sense (except for that video with the nitroglycerin where he admits to spilling it on himself). The problem is that then idiots watch his videos and think that they, too, possess a reasonable amount of common sense, and things escalate.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

The reasonable amount of common sense part is kind of debatable. I mean, dude literally drank cyanide to show off what that experience would be like.I'd say it's more that he seems to have some scientific acumen and the tools to go with that. He doesn't know enough to dangerous, he knows enough to know how not to get into serious trouble, and that takes some proper education.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Before some goes all :goonsay:, here's the difference. Common sense is, don't stick your hand into molten lead. Knowing enough not to get hurt is sticking your finger into molten lead anyway but doing so prepared .

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’d drink a (substantially sub‐fatal) dose of cyanide before I’d stick my hand in molten lead.

It’s easier for something to go wrong with molten lead. Also, there are no antidotes.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
drat, did he not have any caps?

ohhhh :smith:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Did he...cut those wire nuts short?

I DON'T UNDERSTAND ANY OF THESE DECISIONS

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah see he understood that he needed wire caps to be "extra safe" with those joins since they were up against the copper pipe, but did not understand that clipping his wire caps was not a good idea. And he did not use wire caps for the joins that sit inside the base that sits against the loving floor, because what is friction and dirt and etc. whatever electricity is fun and safe?

It's frustrating because the attitude of "I am willing to experiment and try making things" is good, and something to be encouraged. But the add on of "..and I don't understand the need to bother to learn how to do things correctly beforehand" is awful.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
So on Sunday I managed to split a floorboard by stepping on the corner of it. Turns out it was one of those newfangled cantilevered floorboards I've heard so much about...

I'd assumed they were both water pipes until I got the board up, so now I need a change of underwear as well as a saw.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

What kind of gas is being run in copper? Is that actually a thing?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Is this in an RV?

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe

Bad Munki posted:

LP gas is allowed in copper.
Edit: with some caveats.

bend
Dec 31, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah see he understood that he needed wire caps to be "extra safe" with those joins since they were up against the copper pipe, but did not understand that clipping his wire caps was not a good idea. And he did not use wire caps for the joins that sit inside the base that sits against the loving floor, because what is friction and dirt and etc. whatever electricity is fun and safe?

It's frustrating because the attitude of "I am willing to experiment and try making things" is good, and something to be encouraged. But the add on of "..and I don't understand the need to bother to learn how to do things correctly beforehand" is awful.

They tend to go hand in hand though those attitudes in certain people, usually people who haven't internalised the damage that machines/electricity etc can really do due to a lack of personal experience. It's really easy to see electricity as magical juice which comes out of the wall and makes your lights glow if you've never used say a welder or a plasma cutter for example, and seen what it can actually do when it's not lighting up the ps4.
Unfortunately there seems to be only two ways a lot of people get past this point, one is trying things and working up to the point they start too get a handle on how dangerous the forces involved can be, the other is being stupid and lucky and surviving major fuckups.
You can tell them the right way to do poo poo a thousand times but it really won't stick until they learn one way or another, and you can't stand there and police every single dickhead trying something they don't understand so unfortunately you've really got too trust blind luck that their fuckups won't kill someone else.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

One Legged Ninja posted:

LP gas is allowed in copper.
Edit: with some caveats.

Natural gas is as well, in some areas. Methane and the other hydrocarbons in natural gas are safe to use with copper; there's only a problem when the gas contains hydrogen sulfide.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

bend posted:

They tend to go hand in hand though those attitudes in certain people, usually people who haven't internalised the damage that machines/electricity etc can really do due to a lack of personal experience. It's really easy to see electricity as magical juice which comes out of the wall and makes your lights glow if you've never used say a welder or a plasma cutter for example, and seen what it can actually do when it's not lighting up the ps4.
Unfortunately there seems to be only two ways a lot of people get past this point, one is trying things and working up to the point they start too get a handle on how dangerous the forces involved can be, the other is being stupid and lucky and surviving major fuckups.
You can tell them the right way to do poo poo a thousand times but it really won't stick until they learn one way or another, and you can't stand there and police every single dickhead trying something they don't understand so unfortunately you've really got too trust blind luck that their fuckups won't kill someone else.

And with that said, there's just no getting through to some people. I've had people whose living was working with electricity literally tell me they're immune to electric shock. Not that small zaps don't hurt so much anymore, but that the small zaps just don't get through anymore.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

NancyPants posted:

And with that said, there's just no getting through to some people. I've had people whose living was working with electricity literally tell me they're immune to electric shock. Not that small zaps don't hurt so much anymore, but that the small zaps just don't get through anymore.

"Why, no, I don't have feeling in my fingers, why do you ask?"

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

NancyPants posted:

This is the intro to my father's most brutal workplace death story. I'm now anxious to even change out a light fixture.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

there wolf posted:

This is the intro to my father's most brutal workplace death story. I'm now anxious to even change out a light fixture.

:justpost:

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Bad Munki posted:

Welcome to the UK. :unsmigghh:

No but for real, every house I've ever lived in has had copper plumbed natural gas and I never even thought about it until just now when you prompted me to google it.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

NancyPants posted:

"Yeah, they can't put me in the electric chair because I've been eating batteries and built up a tolerance."

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

When my dad was working for the auto plant, they had this guy who did electrical maintenance for the shop floor whose preferred method for testing a live wire was tapping it with a screw driver and seeing if he felt a tingle. One day he got a call order to check out something on a line that was not running (by not running I mean it was not in operation which meant there was no one around.) He starts poking around with his screwdriver among the power supply for industrial welding robots, and what do you know he gets a shock. A big one that makes his fingers clench and his arm jump, burying that screwdriver right in his chest. They didn't find the body till shift change.

I'm well aware this could all be bullshit, but if you weren't lucky enough to have a dad that would get drunk and tell you tales of industrial horror about the plant then that's your loss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

http://i.imgur.com/trK31FM.gifv

Edit: the Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/tradiemayhem/:nms: is a fuckin' goldmine for building site OSHA fuckups:

.... but also for dozens and dozens of workplace injury photos so it's :nms: for close up photos of fingers torn in half and legs torn open and poo poo like that :gonk: