Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

gently caress it, I'll run for 2020.

would you do it for a klondike bar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
Only if everyone in the working class gets one as well.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

Only if everyone in the working class gets one as well.

so... everyone, by 2024? :ussr:

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

NPR was calling Tulsi "the Republicans' favorite Democrat" today due to her gun stances and Muslim hatin'

Nothing matters

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Save us, Vermin Supreme

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

lol rekt

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Lord of Pie posted:

NPR was calling Tulsi "the Republicans' favorite Democrat" today due to her gun stances and Muslim hatin'

Nothing matters

She is half right.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/307071-after-trump-meeting-gabbard-says-we-cant-let-divisiveness-destroy-our

Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-Hawaii) vowed to work with Donald Trump on the issues that matter to the American people, following a meeting between the two Monday at Trump Tower.

She did not, however, comment on whether she would join his administration.

Gabbard and Trump met in New York City to discuss U.S. policy in Syria, she said in a statement, though some have speculated she is under consideration to be the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations.
"President-elect Trump asked me to meet with him about our current policies regarding Syria, our fight against terrorist groups like al-Qaeda and [the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria], as well as other foreign policy challenges we face," Gabbard said.

"I felt it important to take the opportunity to meet with the President-elect now before the drumbeats of war that neocons have been beating drag us into an escalation of the war to overthrow the Syrian government—a war which has already cost hundreds of thousands of lives and forced millions of refugees to flee their homes in search of safety for themselves and their families."

Gabbard said that while the "rules of political expediency" would suggest she not take a meeting with the president-elect, she refuses to "play politics" with American and Syrian lives.

“I will continue to seek common ground to deliver results that best serve all Americans, as I have tried to do during my time in Congress," she said.

She added that while she will not hesitate to express any disagreement with Trump, she believes they can come together on some issues.

"We cannot allow continued divisiveness to destroy our country," she said.

Gabbard told Trump she opposes a no-fly or safe zone in Syria, calling it "disastrous" for the Syrian people and the U.S.

Trump and Gabbard have “a lot of common ground” and both understand “the country very well,” Kellyanne Conway told reporters on Monday afternoon.

The top Trump aide pointed out that Gabbard “went against her party quite boldly early on,” by endorsing Sen. Bernie Sanders, leaving her post at the Democratic National Committee to endorse the Vermont independent's presidential bid earlier this year.

“There’s a recognition that there’s a big country out there with lots of voters that feel disaffected from their party, the Democrats,” Conway added.

Gabbard was a staunch Sanders supporter, but said she would support Hillary Clinton after she clinched the Democratic nomination.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Trump is trying to bring Bernie supporters on board obviously, but I think Gabbard could use this to her advantage, take a position and try to accomplish something before Trump does something insane, then make a big spectacle of stepping down and denouncing him right after he announces Muslim internment camps or something.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Wow! I can't believe she didn't endorse the queen early enough in the primary. Going against a no-fly zone? What a war monger!

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Can't wait for Democrats to kick up so much dirt at Tulsi that she's declines the position and we get Secretary of State Joe Arpaio instead.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Condiv posted:

in the worst case we can run a left-wing entertainer. maybe will ferrell/lena dunham 2020?

If you're going to do that, just run Franken.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Ace of Baes posted:

Can't wait for Democrats to kick up so much dirt at Tulsi that she's declines the position and we get Secretary of State Joe Arpaio instead.

good

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Ace of Baes posted:

Trump is trying to bring Bernie supporters on board obviously, but I think Gabbard could use this to her advantage, take a position and try to accomplish something before Trump does something insane, then make a big spectacle of stepping down and denouncing him right after he announces Muslim internment camps or something.

if she takes the position she will never again be an elected democrat. there's no long term advantage to her. it's not like she can credibly say "oh wow i had no idea that trump was fascist, really too me by surprise guys."

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Concerned Citizen posted:

if she takes the position she will never again be an elected democrat. there's no long term advantage to her. it's not like she can credibly say "oh wow i had no idea that trump was fascist, really too me by surprise guys."

Perhaps she could seize an opportunity to guide the executive branch and do some good instead of worshiping at the altar of ideological purity?

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Powercrazy posted:

Perhaps she could seize an opportunity to guide the executive branch and do some good instead of worshiping at the altar of ideological purity?

like she wouldn't get fired for doing non-trump things

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Powercrazy posted:

she basically agrees with trump on foreign policy re: the middle east so i don't think there's much value added there

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

she basically agrees with trump on foreign policy re: the middle east so i don't think there's much value added there

So she is a more electable HRC? Where was your outrage Nov 7th?

Karl Sharks posted:

like she wouldn't get fired for doing non-trump things

This is potentially true, but why would that be considered a black mark?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Powercrazy posted:

So she is a more electable HRC? Where was your outrage Nov 7th?

not sure why you think she's more electable than hrc, and she is also to the right of hillary on issues including middle east foreign policy.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
i guess i'm old enough to remember when liberals were really mad at people who thought we should prop up dictatorships with huge human rights issues to suppress movements that were ideologically hostile to the united states, though.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

The 2020 primary will be between John Cena and The Rock, with The Rock ultimately winning and creating a general election between two WWE Hall of Famers.

KRock
Aug 13, 2007
College Slice
lol are people actually still supporting Gabbard in this thread

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Mons Hubris posted:

The 2020 primary will be between John Cena and The Rock, with The Rock ultimately winning and creating a general election between two WWE Hall of Famers.

you can't beat what you can't see

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

i guess i'm old enough to remember when liberals were really mad at people who thought we should prop up dictatorships with huge human rights issues to suppress movements that were ideologically hostile to the united states, though.

Same. But I hated HRC because I learned enough from the 90's to recognize warning signs, so I don't see a significant difference.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Remember when we toppled the evil dictator Sadam Hussein? Thank God am I right?

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
What if Harry Reid took a shot at running to be the first Mormon president?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
our first pirate president

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

not sure why you think she's more electable than hrc, and she is also to the right of hillary on issues including middle east foreign policy.

Is she to the right of Hill's public or private positions

also lol @ Hillary's middle east foreign policy. Great track record.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
While the fact that Hillary Clinton convinced the "left" that mirroring the neo-conservative viewpoint on foreign policy was progressive is hilarious, this is the 2020 primary thread, not the 2016 primary thread.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
I hope the 2020 Democratic nominee campaigns largely on income inequality (which is sure to be worse in 4 years) and raising the federal minimum wage and on implementing national single payer healthcare.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

only if she serves out the full term and kowtows to the whiner in chief's crazy rear end demands. If she nobly publicly and suddenly quits trump would attack her on Twitter every day and her dem credwould go through the roof

feller
Jul 5, 2006

theflyingexecutive posted:

only if she serves out the full term and kowtows to the whiner in chief's crazy rear end demands. If she nobly publicly and suddenly quits trump would attack her on Twitter every day and her dem credwould go through the roof

I believe you mean winner in chief

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Can someone tell me just why people like Tulsi Gabbard?

She hates Muslims, praises Modi, and is literally hawk enough to be Republican.

Is she even left wing when it come to economics?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Bernie Sanders is literally going to be 79 during the next election and there is literally no way that he will be 83 at the end of that first term.

There is literally no way that he is running, guys.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Paul Zuvella posted:

Bernie Sanders is literally going to be 79 during the next election and there is literally no way that he will be 83 at the end of that first term.

There is literally no way that he is running, guys.

if bernie has to run in 2020 we are in huge trouble. hopefully by that point though he will have groomed a protege for the position

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
if it's gonna be some progressive hero, it should be liz warren.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

if it's gonna be some progressive hero, it should be liz warren.

overrated at best

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
I think Hillary Clinton being a centrist and her being an unliked, unelectable scumbag are two separate things. There's hyper-partisan scumbags all over the place (see: 90% of the GOP). It's possible (not preferable, but probably more likely than most alternatives) to have an electable centrist. I'm not talking about Gabbard, here. I mean Warren and her ilk: leftists who aren't ideologically pure enough for a lot of people's tastes. At this point, we should be willing to make some compromises with the candidate. You know, just enough so that we don't re-elect a loving fascist in 2020.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
^^warren was ideologically pure enough until she failed to endorse bernie sanders

RENEGADE CUCKSKY posted:

overrated at best

she's like bernie except smarter and more effective, and unlike bernie is not a dickhead to everyone she meets for no reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

^^warren was ideologically pure enough until she failed to endorse bernie sanders

she's like bernie except smarter and more effective, and unlike bernie is not a dickhead to everyone she meets for no reason

you forgot bernout and abuela

• Locked thread