Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Harrow posted:

Pokemon is always weird for me, even though I really want to love it. The main stories are always far, far too easy to really hold my interest, but then if you wan to get into the multiplayer, you need to do EV training and breed for good IVs and abilities and uggggghhhh.

It's like I'm in some middle-ground that Pokemon misses entirely. I still want to get Sun, though.

Actually, on this subject: does anyone have tips for enjoying Pokemon more for a weirdo like me? Alternatively, are things like hyper training going to make it easier to get into the online battle side of things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

if the game is too easy play with permadeath (release your pokemon if they ever faint)

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypv2uUlG41s

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I'm friggin buying Pokemon Sun right now.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Lizard Wizard posted:

I'm friggin buying Pokemon Sun right now.

Cool!

The moon is much cooler than the sun though. Just like, objectively.

also I didn't initially mean for that to be a pun but I'm glad it was

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Pokemon Moon doesn't have Vulpix or Goomy. :colbert:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

moon also doesn't have passimian or buzzwole or the cool lion

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Sun doesn't have a cool lion either.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I always forget Ness and Lucas from Mothers 2 and 3 are supposed to be 13. They really look more like 10. No wonder the US release of Earthbound had a different clay model for Ness.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkIVwklZApw

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Steep is fun as hell btw, I played it with some friends last night and we had a lot of fun bowling each other over with snowboards and desperately trying to do tricks on our skis. I absolutely would not buy this game for 60 dollars, which is what they want you to buy it for, but I certainly will when it goes on sale for real cheap.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://twitter.com/tonitonirocca/status/800925891459092481

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Steam's Black Friday Week sale starts tomorrow :f5:.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Just chiming in to say that ME3 is my favourite of the trilogy followed by ME1. I do not like ME2. I know this opinion is an outlier but 2 changed so much of what I enjoyed.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Your avatar is getting me to question where the syllable break in "video" is supposed to be. Is it "Vid - e - o" or could it be "Vi - de - o" as Atari suggests it is. Hmmmm.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

VideoGames posted:

Just chiming in to say that ME3 is my favourite of the trilogy followed by ME1. I do not like ME2. I know this opinion is an outlier but 2 changed so much of what I enjoyed.

I think you may indeed be the only person in the world who feels this way, which is cool. ME3 is such a clear gameplay iteration on ME2 while ME1 is the odd man out, so having ME1 split the two in half is odd, and the only other people I've ever met who do so rank ME3 as their least favorite almost entirely out of spite because they hated how the story ends.

I'd love for you to elaborate if you feel like it. Outlier opinions can be fascinating.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I liked all the ME games in general up to the ending of 3 but the seems we're showing way before it got o that point. And janky as it was I did enjoy that the first game was still an RPG rather that the TPS with a couple of things you could put points in to the later games became.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
ME3's gameplay is so much better than the other two it's not even funny, but the first is so hilariously over the top epic that I can't help liking it even though the gameplay is garbage.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I liked ME3 a lot even with the ending being kinda dumb and the online multiplayer was legit really fun

but I'm a broken person and don't despise every game I play a couple months down the line

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

wizard on a water slide posted:

I think you may indeed be the only person in the world who feels this way, which is cool. ME3 is such a clear gameplay iteration on ME2 while ME1 is the odd man out, so having ME1 split the two in half is odd, and the only other people I've ever met who do so rank ME3 as their least favorite almost entirely out of spite because they hated how the story ends.

I'd love for you to elaborate if you feel like it. Outlier opinions can be fascinating.

Absolutely!

I think I may have mentioned it in an earlier month of the chat thread or even the ME3 thread but good grief that was probably so long ago.

I loved ME1 because it was my first game I played as a cool space explorer. I adored driving the Mako around the various worlds and just getting out and admiring views. That coupled with the space map, the gorgeous music and that each character was really cool and developed made it feel like the beginning of a true space epic. I loved everything about the 1st game and I still do.

ME2 felt like it wanted to act as though ME1 didn't exist. It got rid of so many things I loved, populated the cast with three times the size and seemed to be just some weird action cover shooter. I don't enjoy the combat that much and it seemed to be focued on that. Little things like finding ammo, and small inventories/no management, and the story being so disconnected and weird from the first. I felt like it lost so much of what I was playing for.

Then along came ME3. I didn't get round to playing it until after Citadel DLC was released. I missed the whole DLC/ending issue and also managed to not spoil any of it. I also played it with all the DLC and played Citadel after finishing the main quest, treating it like an epilogue because my shepherd survived the end of ME3. I love it for a very simple reason that even if the original ending is not what people expected, it fit perfectly in my mind by how I was expecting the games to go.

I truly enjoyed wrapping up each characters arcs. The mission with Wrex/Mordin and the Thresher was beautiful. Garrus and sniping in the Citadel was stunning. Helping Liara find a parent, seeing Ashley become a better person was all the kind of stuff I dug. Then capping it off with the Citadel DLC as a nice light ending to such a heavy game was perfect.

I'd always believed (from day one and getting Saren to shoot himself) that Shepherd was being indoctrinated. That's why the ending felt good to me. As though the reapers were attempting to break my Shepherds mind with Control and Synthesis. My shepherd would never have done either of those, she would have destroyed them after realising that she too was being indoctrinated. I felt satisfied with it entirely because of the plots and story.

It's definitely the outlier because everyone dislikes the ME3 story, but for me it was a wonderful cap to the whole overarching plotline and felt more connected to the first story than the second. (What was the point of that giant reaper baby?)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
ME1 was already a weird action shooter, it was just garbage at it. ME2 is the only game that I feel accomplishes what it sets out to do.

I definitely respect what ME1 tried to do, and I appreciate the preference for a more Star Trek aesthetic. But I don't think that ME1 actually accomplishes it at all. It tries to do a lot if things, and does none of them well. It ends up being really disjointed. ME2 is the only one where I feel like the gameplay and story fit together well in an engaging manner.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the gameplay in me2 is trash. take that to the bank !!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, it's not great. It's miles better than ME1 in my opinion, though.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

maybe. i haven't played me1 in a long while but i did play through most of 2 a few months ago before i couldn't take it anymore

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, its definitely just a matter of personal taste/preference between the three of them. ME3 is the one I couldn't finish because, compared to 2, the gameplay, missions, and main story felt so disconnected that I just couldn't get into it. Each game offers something slightly different, and ME2 is just the one that clicked with me the most and felt the most coherent to me.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

tap my mountain posted:

Do you remember the first robot master you defeated?

Mine was Magnetman

Mine was either Woodman or Chargeman. I can't honestly remember because I played those games all out of order as a kid.

I'm still in the middle of Pokemon, but I'm picking up Dragon Ball Fusions today, as well, because it looks like it's gonna be ludicrously fun for me, the guy who has been super pumped about DBZ for 20 years. I'll probably juggle them a little, but the plan is to get to the end of the main story in Pokemon, go on a little DBZ vacation, and then start Pokemon eugenics programs for a few of my favorites.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

tap my mountain posted:

Do you remember the first robot master you defeated?

Mine was Magnetman

Fireman, then bombman :colbert:

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Oh my god, Meowth will high-five you

https://twitter.com/goatmagician/status/800182184090824706?s=09

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

LawfulWaffle posted:

In 2030, college kids will talk about their first Skylander/toy-to-life like people would talk about the first arcade game they played. There will be strong opinions about the best generation of Skylanders and a grey market for Skylander-to-VR converters so hobbyists can relive their youth in a post-TV world.

Do you remember your first Skylander?

no they wont

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

There will definitely be adults going "I remember playing that as a kid" just like there are adults now going "I remember the first pokemon I caught" and stuff

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Adults fondly remembering Skylanders will be the same as those that nowadays remember their Street Sharks toy collection. Nobody will care even people who owned them. Sure that there will be people going 'oh yeah I remember that' but no bonding group chit-chats comparing your first Skylanders or whatever.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

FirstAidKite posted:

There will definitely be adults going "I remember playing that as a kid" just like there are adults now going "I remember the first pokemon I caught" and stuff

There's a contextual difference, though. I remember playing Final Fantasy when I was a kid. I remember playing Pokemon when I was a kid. I still play Pokemon on day 1 every time it comes out, and I haven't given a poo poo about Final Fantasy since FF9. I think I got like 1/3 through FF13 three years ago and then got distracted by a shiny object, never to return again.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
If you are 8 and you have a plastic toy that comes to life on the tv and you control it and it levels up and you can take it to a friend's house and it keeps all your moves or whatever, that's loving magic. I guess a better comparison would be action figures where kids use the power of imagination for all the graphics, but if you think people haven't had casual conversations about which G.I. Joe's or TMNT figures they played with, you're wrong. Not every one talks about figures, but toys in general or early instances of a lifelong hobby aren't uncommon conversation topics. There will be computer science undergrads who sit in a dorm and talk about the Skylanders they had growing up, and it's probably already begun.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
We'll just have to wait and see. I just mean with toys to life stuff in general, I imagine it'll at least be like what palpek said with people going "man, remember disney infinity? I could make perry the platypus wield a lightsaber and that was pretty cool. so anyway"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Final Fantasy XV's battle theme is really good and I'm glad Yoko Shimomura composed the soundtrack, she owns every time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kunj5Yxw0Ow

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Every single person I've seen play FF15 has been completely awful at it.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Only
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppt-03Qwg-U
more days

Sakurazuka posted:

Every single person I've seen play FF15 has been completely awful at it.

Same. I wonder if the controls are really swimmy and it makes it hard to know when to dodge or who you're attacking, but I hope that after a few hours it clicks. I'd like one video of "high level" FFXV play to show me how it's supposed to look.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Hey Games forum, is there a thread for BeamNG.drive?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I had that trailer on a demo disc and I must have watched it 100 times I was so insanely hype.

I always wondered where that music was from because it's not the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

LawfulWaffle posted:

Same. I wonder if the controls are really swimmy and it makes it hard to know when to dodge or who you're attacking, but I hope that after a few hours it clicks. I'd like one video of "high level" FFXV play to show me how it's supposed to look.

There are some out there that I've seen of people dancing around higher-level monsters and winning without getting hit, mostly involving abusing teleportation like crazy.

• Locked thread