Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Calaveron posted:

Are you serious Rufflet takes 54 levels to evolve. Is fucker even as good as say, Dragonite or Tyranitar to justify that?

It's just how Unova was balanced. In BW only new Pokemon appeared, so they were free to do the level curve a bit differently. That equivalent to Dragonite evolved at level 64, for reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Russian Remoulade posted:

Alright. The spergs I work with talking about natures and IVs kinda scared me off a bit.

Neither of those are needed at all for the base game unless you really really want to minmax which you shouldn't, being a game for children and all. It's more for battling online or post-game battle arena content.

But short form- natures boost one stat by 10% and lower another by 10% although there's a few that are neutral. You basically don't have to care, but you might find that a pokemon feels too weak or too slow and it turns out they have a nature that lowers those stats. Not the end of the world or anything but if you're not feeling a pokemon maybe try to get one of a different nature.

IVs are an individual mon's genetics. They boost each individual stat in a range from 0-31 and are determined on catch/egg hatch. This amount is completely negligible for story play and you should not care. You can't change them, or effect them, or even check them until late on. You can breed for them but that's not a thing you should give a poo poo about at all.

There's also EVs, which are... kind of a tailored 'training'? But not really. Beat up fast pokemon, and you get faster. Beat up defensive pokemon, you get more defense, etc.. There's a limited amount of EVs individual pokemon can have in total and per stat but again you should not care for standard play.

Some other big changes that I can think of since Red/Blue-
dark, steel and fairy types are now a thing, and there were a few changes to other type matchups. You might want to check a chart or something, BUT in Sun/Moon, once you've encountered a pokemon once, future battles will tell you the effectiveness of your moves against it so that will help. Notably steel is immune to poison, fairy fucks up dragon, and dark fucks up psychic.

Special is split into special attack and special defense now.

The kind of stat moves use is now determined by the move itself, instead of by type. ie. Water attacks used to all be special and I think still mostly are, but there are water type moves that are 'physical' and use the attack stat (ie. waterfall). They have different icons when looking at the move. Physical is a kind of red/yellow explosion looking thing and special is a blue series of circles. Neutral (status/buffs/debuffs) is a grey yinyang. This one can kind of be a big deal,say, if the enemy blissey (high special defense) keeps using calm mind (boosts special defense) then you should not use special attacks on it and should use physical. Or if you look at your pokemon and it has crap special attack and great physical attack then you should load it up with more physical attacks, obviously.

Pokemon all have abilities (one or two per species, some have a third found in different/hidden/out of main game ways. Abilities are passive things, that can be super useful (levitate makes you avoid ground moves like you were flying-type) or kind of garbage. Really not a big thing to worry about minmaxing, but some of them can be quite game-changing and you should check out what the abilities of the pokemon you use are/be aware of what enemy pokemon could do. ie. there are some that will completely cancel out attacks of a certain type and often give a stat boost for it, so be aware of that!)

TMs are infinite now. As of sun/moon HMs aren't used for exploration so you don't need an HM slave. There are move relearners so you can get old moves back.

Uh there's a lot of other changes and probably some big ones I forgot but that's I think the most important, in terms of absolute gameplay.

Oh yeah there's weather effects now that do different things. ie. raining boosts water, debuffs fire, activates certain abilities, makes thunder 100% accurate I think... also there are abilities and moves that can activate weather, or it can be part of the overworld (either permanent to the area or temporary events).

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Nov 22, 2016

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

AlphaKretin posted:

It's just how Unova was balanced. In BW only new Pokemon appeared, so they were free to do the level curve a bit differently. That equivalent to Dragonite evolved at level 64, for reference.

Which was still several levels above the E4 and the only ones you fight in game are too low level to have evolved legitimately.

It was a really loving stupid way of balancing it because it means a lot of cool dudes like Hydreigon, Volcarona, Bisharp, Rufflet, Elecktross etc. are just garbage and hard to raise and evolve at or just prior to the E4 (or after in Volcarona/Hydreigon's case!)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Krinkle posted:

Why does nobody ever join in my missions to identify people who speak three phrases in a foreign language it's the easiest drat one. I don't have to think oh gently caress dark fighter what's it weak to tick tock tick tock or a gargabablsgshanthmonate, fire type, yes no, hurry the gently caress up, bzzzzt mission over. How could you not know it was ground/dragon? It's new and rare and you literally can't even find it until after you beat the game how could you possibly gently caress that up!
How do you join a mission? I honestly can't figure it out.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

DACK FAYDEN posted:

How do you join a mission? I honestly can't figure it out.

There will be a red banner that runs across the top of the screen. Tap on that and it'll take you to the mission select screen to join others' missions.

Or talk to the girl right outside the castle to host your own with a ticket.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Axel Serenity posted:

There will be a red banner that runs across the top of the screen. Tap on that and it'll take you to the mission select screen to join others' missions.

Or talk to the girl right outside the castle to host your own with a ticket.
Right, I've been using all my tickets to just host my own and nobody ever joins. Is that usual?

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011

Pakled posted:

Not really, no. I mean, its evolved form's stats are pretty good, but not as good as a pseudo-legendary which are normally the only kind of pokemon to evolve at that high of a level, and you're gonna be dragging a pretty bad pokemon through basically the entire game before it evolves. Its evolution level sorta made sense in its original appearance where you only caught it around level 35 but putting it in this game at level 11 makes no sense.

I'm not evolving my party pokemon until after beating the game as a challenge, so Rufflet has been pretty great for me. For some reason he can learn Rock Tomb???

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Where is pichu/pikachu?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Tired Moritz posted:

Where is pichu/pikachu?

Route 1 in the grass just outside the first town. Pichu is a regular encounter, Pikachu is an SOS.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
I want to trade my ultra beasts for the version exclusives. Is there somewhere in game I can see their "seen data" so I can search them on the gts?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I found a Pichu inside the first town.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

I want to trade my ultra beasts for the version exclusives. Is there somewhere in game I can see their "seen data" so I can search them on the gts?

You can type their name in. Theres an option at the bottom to search by name.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Bought the Shadow Claw TM for my Marowak, even though it cost half my money, because it's a good STAB move.
"Marowak cannot learn Shadow Claw."

...why, gamefreak. :negative:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Right, I've been using all my tickets to just host my own and nobody ever joins. Is that usual?
It is unless you do a type matchup mission. People love those for some reason.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Blaziken386 posted:

Bought the Shadow Claw TM for my Marowak, even though it cost half my money, because it's a good STAB move.

"Charizard cannot learn Fly"

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I love that you can order a Tapu Cocoa.

Still going slow. Done the water trial, went back to first island to look for dog bits. Some route long in the future before I can get him though.

Oh, and the shop just selling orbs. That made me laugh.

E: also got pokerus today

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Blaziken386 posted:

Same reason they gave it the best physical ghost move in the game, had it learn it by level up one level before evolution and stuck the move relearner right before the e4.

:shepicide:

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Probably dumb question, but are you actually online? You gotta tap the wifi icon at the bottom.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Zore posted:

Same reason they gave it the best physical ghost move in the game, had it learn it by level up one level before evolution and stuck the move relearner right before the e4.

:shepicide:
Gamefreak is populated by trolls.
On a related note, I am now broke, because the fashion in Olivia's city is so good I need all of it.
(I really wanted the cute sandals but they were 35,000 :qq:)

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
So this is pretty cool. My Dartrix's main attack is razor leaf (increased chance of crit) and I've got it holding a scope lens (increased chance of crit) and I've got it at 5 affection in Refresh and now every razor leaf is a crit. I've done it about 20 times since getting a scope lens and every single time has been a crit.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
just did the scanning thing and got a female totodile so that was super nice, also just noticed her tiny floppy arms are the size of her eyes.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Is there a way to find which Zygarde Cells you're missing? I can't find four of them for the life of me.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Grouchio posted:

1. Pokemon Sun or Moon?
2. Should I start with Rowlet or start with Popplio and get a Toucannon?
3. Litten's line looks ugly. :colbert:
4. How is the post-game looking for you guys? Should I hype?

1. Sun. Lion is always cooler than bat
2. Decidueye is cool, but Primarina is a goddamn Sp.Atk monster
3. You shut your mouth this instant :colbert:
4. You should hype

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Pakled posted:

So this is pretty cool. My Dartrix's main attack is razor leaf (increased chance of crit) and I've got it holding a scope lens (increased chance of crit) and I've got it at 5 affection in Refresh and now every razor leaf is a crit. I've done it about 20 times since getting a scope lens and every single time has been a crit.

You think that's fun? Later on, it learns Leaf Blade. Spirit Shackle is rad as hell as a signature move but it's incredibly satisfying to cleave my enemies in two with constant criticals.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

What's the best way for making money in this game?
I need more fashion.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

endolithic posted:

Probably dumb question, but are you actually online? You gotta tap the wifi icon at the bottom.
Not dumb; also, I just figured it out independently, but thanks :shobon:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Haifisch posted:

It is unless you do a type matchup mission. People love those for some reason.

Because those are the best and fastest ways of accumulating FC. Instead of being forced to search for specific NPCs, you can just talk to all of them to rack them up faster. They also give the biggest payout out of all the missions.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Blaziken386 posted:

I need more fashion.

Hano Beach. There's a guy that, once a day, lets you chuck Pyukumukus off the coast. A handful of minutes out of your day, a free 20,000 PokeDollars.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

I need more fashion.

Lol if you haven't been using happy hour amulet coin munchlax/snorlax on every single battle and aren't rolling in cash

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

El Burbo posted:

Lol if you haven't been using happy hour amulet coin munchlax/snorlax on every single battle and aren't rolling in cash

:yeah:

I had 600k when I finally hit the fourth island. I have named my Snorlax Kingpin because of this

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Grouchio posted:

1. Pokemon Sun or Moon?
2. Should I start with Rowlet or start with Popplio and get a Toucannon?
3. Litten's line looks ugly. :colbert:
4. How is the post-game looking for you guys? Should I hype?

1. Choose based on the version exclusives and the cover legendary.
2. There's no HMs, you don't need a dedicated flyer if you don't want one. Both starters are great, but there are very few new special attackers, so popplio is a good choice.
3. You're allowed to be wrong.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Litten is cool and I named it after my cat

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
For the record, the version exclusives are 1 monkey each, 1 dragon each, a bunch of random old game filler, and the legendaries/ultra beasts. The game actually gives you extra copies of most of the legendaries and ultra beasts, so I'd imagine there will be a surplus of them on the trading markets soon.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Clarste posted:

For the record, the version exclusives are 1 monkey each, 1 dragon each, a bunch of random old game filler, and the legendaries/ultra beasts. The game actually gives you extra copies of most of the legendaries and ultra beasts, so I'd imagine there will be a surplus of them on the trading markets soon.

Also Alolan Vulpix vs Alolan Sandshrew.

They count!

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Pakled posted:

Not even lying: the performance increase in a New3DS is negligible. The only thing it does noticeably better is it has a much faster startup time. Once you're actually in the game, though, it suffers from basically all the same performance issues as the Old 3DS.

Thanks, game reviewers are full of poo poo. Sounds like it'll be similar to Smash Bros, I've got an extra 12 seconds to boot it up.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Just spent an hour grinding Meowth to L28 to evolve into Persian to show Oak. Then I realize it evolves via happiness

gently caress.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Hano Beach. There's a guy that, once a day, lets you chuck Pyukumukus off the coast. A handful of minutes out of your day, a free 20,000 PokeDollars.
There's a dickhead riding a giant dog who won't let me go to Hano beach. :argh:

El Burbo posted:

I missed the amulet coin earlier, and only just got it. Plus, Snorlax is kinda my weakest team member attack wise, so I'd have to waste 2 turns using Happy Hour and switching him out for a pokemon I actually care about.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

extra stout posted:

Thanks, game reviewers are full of poo poo. Sounds like it'll be similar to Smash Bros, I've got an extra 12 seconds to boot it up.
Yeah, as long as you don't mind the long boot time and inability to quit out quickly and elegantly there's no difference.

Next Dartrix complaint: It turns into a sniper owl soon and it doesn't even learn Aerial Ace?!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Blaziken386 posted:

There's a dickhead riding a giant dog who won't let me go to Hano beach. :argh:

I missed the amulet coin earlier, and only just got it. Plus, Snorlax is kinda my weakest team member attack wise, so I'd have to waste 2 turns using Happy Hour and switching him out for a pokemon I actually care about.

Does the giveaway Munchlax have randomized stats or something? Because my Snorlax has a +attack nature, and between STAB Body Slam (Chip Away before I hit 25) and Brick Break to cover rock and steel types, it wrecks poo poo like nobody's business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I got a Jangmo-o on wonder trade and I love this little idiot. He's going to be my dragon bro.

e: speaking of trades, tossed a Sandshrew into GTS for a Vulpix and instantly fixed the only problem with going with Moon, so my team's shaping up well.