Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

icantfindaname posted:

If the average is no handicap for sex that means for every Hillary who loses because she's a woman, there's somebody who wins because they're a woman.

Ahhhh I suddenly understand why some people thought racism was dead when Obama got elected.

They're wrong, of course, but he did win at the ballot box and therefore...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

icantfindaname posted:

It proves that the average woman candidate's campaign isn't hurt by sexism. I guess you could argue that public image of Hillary is uniquely sexist, but I don't really buy that. And I'm not sure what any of the stuff about her winning more votes or the EC has anything to do with anything

Statistically speaking, it's not actually a thing in major elections

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-we-dont-know-how-much-sexism-is-hurting-clintons-campaign/

Your own quote points out how there is likely sexism in politics that isn't been well documented by scientific research (which is a duh).

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Boon posted:

Ahhhh I suddenly understand why some people thought racism was dead when Obama got elected.

Well that's certainly a way to completely ignore what he's saying as opposed to you just making up a new strawman because your last one was impossible to attack

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Was this posted?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2016/11/18/how-donald-trump-will-retrofit-midtown-manhattan-as-a-presidential-getaway/

Pretty good story about the President-Elect and soon to be President plus all the different stuff that is going to need retrofitting his residence. Kind of neat from a like "Wow that is a lot of people and poo poo that gets done"

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Now make one with the racism in the protectionist communist working class.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

NewForumSoftware posted:

Well that's certainly a way to completely ignore what he's saying as opposed to you just making up a new strawman because your last one was impossible to attack

Well, you've convinced me that sexism no longer exists in American politics.

I cannot wait to tell all my friends who think the exact opposite that they need not worry.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

icantfindaname posted:

It proves that the average woman candidate's campaign isn't hurt by sexism. I guess you could argue that public image of Hillary is uniquely sexist, but I don't really buy that. And I'm not sure what any of the stuff about her winning more votes or the EC has anything to do with anything

The average woman candidate isn't running for presiden. I'm wary of generalizing Sarah Palin's experience getting elected governor of Alaska to Hillary's campaign and concluding sexism had nothing to do with any of it.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Boon posted:

Well, you've convinced me that sexism no longer exists in American politics.

I think I may have figured out your problem. You read posts in hyperbole somehow. The words just magically transform themselves as they go from the screen to your eyes. I mean, certainly you can't really think someone said that?

Quick, retreat to google to find more lovely articles that don't agree with you (or read them first this time, my personal recommendation)

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

Your own quote points out how there is likely sexism in politics that isn't been well documented by scientific research (which is a duh).

The second half of that article is a giant cop out saying there's no measurable evidence for it, but it's still sexist that people dislike Hillary. If there's no evidence, IMO, it's entirely fair to dismiss the idea

JeffersonClay posted:

The average woman candidate isn't running for presiden. I'm wary of generalizing Sarah Palin's experience getting elected governor of Alaska to Hillary's campaign and concluding sexism had nothing to do with any of it.

Do you accept that if sexism were a major influence in electoral politics, it would be empirically measurable?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

NewForumSoftware posted:

I think I may have figured out your problem. You read posts in hyperbole somehow. The words just magically transform themselves as they go from the screen to your eyes. I mean, certainly you can't really think someone said that?

Quick, retreat to google to find more lovely articles that don't agree with you (or read them first this time, my personal recommendation)

As opposed to the one article someone posted that "disproved" the idea (which the very title and further reading which I posted directly argues against) that people arguing sexism didn't affect Hillary in any way when it came to voting? Icantfindaname will argue, of course, but the very section he cites states that the sample is too small and a bunch of other reasons. How can anyone even say when no one in the US has ever voted for a female president before

The reality is we're probably talking past each other since I've already stated that I agree with your ultimate conclusion that neither sexism nor racism are the reason but I strongly disagree with you that it is a reason

Boon fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Nov 22, 2016

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

My claim isn't that people didn't vote for Clinton because she's a woman; my claim is that sexism allowed people (men and women) to dismiss the hosed up, demonstrated, sexist beliefs of Trump when they went and voted for him.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

I sure am glad people love to pointlessly conjecture about something that doesn't even have a data set that can be used to extract a meaningful conclusion from. If there are insufficient data to prove your point or the opposite of your point, the next step is to usually Do A Study instead of saying Maybe I'm Right.

At least when people aimlessly argue about noise you get to see their own biases leak out, like calling PoC "irrational" as a stereotype.

I will concede that it's possible for people to make conscious, self-interested and strictly rational decisions that are informed by sexism. The suggestion men of color who made a sexist choice were irrational was my attempt to shield them from that kind of indictment but I shouldn't have.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

I sure am glad people love to pointlessly conjecture about something that doesn't even have a data set that can be used to extract a meaningful conclusion from. If there are insufficient data to prove your point or the opposite of your point, the next step is to usually Do A Study instead of saying Maybe I'm Right.

At least when people aimlessly argue about noise you get to see their own biases leak out, like calling PoC "irrational" as a stereotype.

Hill folk who are so against "sexism" they embrace racism. Never thought I'd see the day.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

JeffersonClay posted:

I will concede that it's possible for people to make conscious, self-interested and strictly rational decisions that are informed by sexism. The suggestion men of color who made a sexist choice were irrational was my attempt to shield them from that kind of indictment but I shouldn't have.

And so, progress was made.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

icantfindaname posted:

If the average is no handicap for sex that means for every Hillary who loses because she's a woman, there's somebody who wins because they're a woman.

You keep say this and cite the 538 article, but the scientific article linked by 538 is actually far more nuanced:

quote:

A significant body of research has pointed to evidence that political gender stereotypes exist in the minds of voters, but we have had less evidence that these stereotypes matter amid the competing influences in an actual election environment. The analysis presented here confirms that stereotypes are related to abstract attitudes about women in political life but cautions us before we assume that these relationships exist in the same way in the real world. Indeed, the analysis of vote choice in House elections in 2010 sup- ports the hypothesis that gender stereotypes are not major forces but instead are, like many things, context-bound and episodic, appearing as significant in some races but not others. In addition, when stereotypes do have an impact, they are still not likely to override the importance of traditional political vari- ables such as party. This would suggest that women candidates have less to fear from voter-gender stereotypes than more.

http://www.marioguerrero.info/425/readings/Dolan2014.pdf

So yes, maybe I wouldn't use this research on US House races to extrapolate to the presidency with such confidence.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Admiral Ray posted:

My claim isn't that people didn't vote for Clinton because she's a woman; my claim is that sexism allowed people (men and women) to dismiss the hosed up, demonstrated, sexist beliefs of Trump when they went and voted for him.

Okay, that's actually a reasonable claim. It's not the same claim as people don't like Hillary because sexism, though

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Boon posted:

As opposed to the one article someone posted that "disproved" the idea (which the very title and further reading which I posted directly argues against) that people arguing sexism didn't affect Hillary in any way when it came to voting?

I haven't really seen a compelling argument for what someone who didn't vote for Hillary because of "sexism" even looks like.

Beyond that, what does it even matter if she would have won with a penis? What does that do? Give you the green card to just blame Trump on "sexists" and ignore the economic poo poo we can actually do something about?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

icantfindaname posted:

The second half of that article is a giant cop out saying there's no measurable evidence for it, but it's still sexist that people dislike Hillary. If there's no evidence, IMO, it's entirely fair to dismiss the idea

Do you accept that if sexism were a major influence in electoral politics, it would be empirically measurable?

You're completely wrong that there is no measurable evidence at all of sexism in American elections.

quote:

Indeed, scholars have produced an impressive body of research that con- firms that voters look at women candidates and women officeholders from a gendered perspective, ascribing certain stereotyped issue position competen- cies and personality characteristics to them. Women candidates and office- holders are generally viewed as more compassionate and honest than men, warmer and more expressive, and better able to deal with constituents such as citizens groups than men. Men are viewed as more competent, decisive, stronger leaders, and possessing a greater ability to handle a crisis (Alexander & Andersen, 1993; Burrell, 2008; Huddy & Terkildsen, 1993b; Kahn, 1996; King & Matland, 2003; Lawless, 2004; Leeper, 1991; Paul & Smith, 2008; Sapiro, 1981/1982). Trait stereotypes are relevant because several studies have found that people evaluate the stereotyped masculine traits (experience, leadership) as more important in politics than the feminine traits (honesty, compassion), particularly as the level of elected office being considered rises from the local to the national level (Huddy & Terkildsen, 1993a; Lawless, 2004; Rosenwasser & Dean, 1989).
People also stereotype women and men in terms of policy interest and competence. Women are assumed to be more interested in, and more effec- tive in dealing with, issues such as childcare, poverty, education, health care, women’s issues and the environment than are men, while men are thought to be more competent at dealing with economic development, military, trade, taxes, and agriculture (Alexander & Andersen, 1993; Brown, Heighberger, & Shocket, 1993; Huddy & Terkildsen, 1993b; Koch, 1997; Rosenwasser & Dean, 1989). Beyond policy, several studies find that women are perceived as more liberal than men and that they are often perceived as more liberal than they actually are, based on objective measures of ideology (Koch, 2002, 2000; McDermott, 1997).
This literature also suggests that stereotypes can shape whether voters will choose or reject women candidates. Rosenthal’s (1995) findings support the notion that people often favor candidates of one sex or the other based on their assumptions about what those candidates are like or what they will do in office. Sanbonmatsu’s (2002) work on baseline gender preferences suggests that many people have an underlying preference to be represented by a woman or a man and that this predisposition is determined, in part, by gender stereotypes. This preference can combine with issue position preferences to move voters toward or away from a woman or man candidate. Koch (2002) finds that the perceived liberalism of women candidates, particularly Democratic women, can pull them farther away from the average voter, which can result in these candidates losing votes.
Existing Data and Remaining Questions
The significant body of work on political gender stereotypes clearly suggests that voters begin their evaluations of candidates by noting their sex and making some set of stereotyped assumptions based on that information. It is also clear that these stereotyped evaluations are thought to hold the potential to influence people’s willingness to vote for particular candidates. The cumulative weight of this research has been to suggest that gender stereotypes are an important piece of the public’s evaluation of women candidates and that they have the potential to be more harmful than not to women’s chances of election.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

NewForumSoftware posted:

I haven't really seen a compelling argument for what someone who didn't vote for Hillary because of "sexism" even looks like.

Beyond that, what does it even matter if she would have won with a penis? What does that do? Give you the green card to just blame Trump on "sexists" and ignore the economic poo poo we can actually do something about?

I don't even think you're reading my very short posts fully, so... maybe I should start with how we agree and then go into how we disagree.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

You keep say this and cite the 538 article, but the scientific article linked by 538 is actually far more nuanced:

http://www.marioguerrero.info/425/readings/Dolan2014.pdf

So yes, maybe I wouldn't use this research on US House races to extrapolate to the presidency with such confidence.

Saying the normal rules don't apply to Hillary in particular and this race in particular puts you back at square one, saying that Hillary attracts a special, unique kind of sexism not comparable to any other. Which is inherently impossible to prove. I think people didn't like Hillary because her public image at least was deeply unlikable. Maybe sexism prevented her from having the charisma of a successful candidate, but a dude who acted the same way as her would be similarly disliked. See other noted smug, boring technocrats Al Gore and John Kerry

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

icantfindaname posted:

It's your article, and it sure isn't supporting the conclusion you're trying to push.

quote:

Yes. I am also confident the current state of empirical evidence does not rule out the suggestion that sexism may have influenced the last presidential election.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Boon posted:

I don't even think you're reading my very short posts fully, so... maybe I should start with how we agree and then go into how we disagree.

Dude it's really easy, don't post things like this:

quote:

That said, someone, maybe even you, basically implied upthread that black men couldn't be sexist

Without being really loving sure of what you're saying, because that wasn't what was implied

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

JeffersonClay posted:

The fact that you were willing to weaken your own argument just to protect black men is the most noble goddamn thing I've ever heard. It's a shame that soldiers get medals but not brave people like you

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

icantfindaname posted:

Saying the normal rules don't apply to Hillary in particular and this race in particular puts you back at square one, saying that Hillary attracts a special, unique kind of sexism not comparable to any other. Which is inherently impossible to prove. I think people didn't like Hillary because her public image at least was deeply unlikable. Maybe sexism prevented her from having the charisma of a successful candidate, but a dude who acted the same way as her would be similarly disliked. See other noted smug, boring technocrats Al Gore and John Kerry

First bolded: The rules are different - it's the presidency and there is zero evidence for something like this - no one is objecting that they are right beyond a shadow of a doubt, they're objecting that your position is equally unknown, which you've presented as somehow known

Second bolded: Bodies of research on sexism discuss exactly this.

Boon fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Nov 22, 2016

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

icantfindaname posted:

No I'm saying, as the article you cited cited, women face variable influences of sexism in their election. Clinton can have faced more sexism than House candidates in 2010 without it being some "special snowflake" defense.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

You're completely wrong that there is no measurable evidence at all of sexism in American elections.

quote:

Women candidates and office- holders are generally viewed as more compassionate and honest than men, warmer and more expressive, and better able to deal with constituents such as citizens groups than men

I don't think Hillary's problem was that she was seen as too squishy and compassionate

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

And so, progress was made.

Now it's your turn to apologize for refusing to believe black men could be sexist.

Or did you miss the point of that exchange?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

icantfindaname posted:

I don't think Hillary's problem was that she was seen as too squishy and compassionate

Maybe the science isn't so cut and dry as you're pretending it is!

Remember, this isn your own evidence you're taking pot shots at.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Guy Goodbody posted:

The fact that you were willing to weaken your own argument just to protect black men is the most noble goddamn thing I've ever heard. It's a shame that soldiers get medals but not brave people like you

It doesn't weaken my argument, it strengthens it. The big words may have confused you.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

JeffersonClay posted:

Now it's your turn to apologize for refusing to believe black men could be sexist.

My god the straw men, they just keep coming

Like is it so hard to just respond to the posts as written?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

You guys ever consider *puts flashlight under face and says in a spooky voice* people looked past the fact that she was a woman and thought she was a terrible candidate based on the issues

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Trump killing TPP puts him ahead of the Abuela

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

JeffersonClay posted:

Oh my good loving lord Jesus save me from the people in this thread.

I should have just toxxed for loser abuela, gotten banned, and still have kept my sanity. Instead I'm arguing with a racist about how much those sexist black men should have voted for Hillary for their own drat interests

God loving help me

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Business Gorillas posted:

You guys ever consider *puts flashlight under face and says in a spooky voice* people looked past the fact that she was a woman and thought she was a terrible candidate based on the issues

No poo poo.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

shrike82 posted:

Jeff Sessions disagrees but what ever.

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->

shrike82 posted:

TPP is actually good and it's a shame that it's not happening.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

JeffersonClay posted:

I was going to leave it alone since you made it halfway, but now I'm not.

The problem is that you think that PoC votes may or may not be driven by a rational/irrational sexism. You still can't cope with the fact that maybe a PoC didn't vote Hillary or maybe a PoC even voted Trump completely independently of some argument of sexism. Here's an example: If some Christian White Person can go vote for Trump in spite of his racism and say "Well that's just political talk", why can't some Christian Black Person do the same?

Quit stereotyping. Please.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Have you considered that confirmation bias is a thing?

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

That's sexist. You're sexist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

I mean yeah some people voted against Hillary's ladyparts but people are flirting with saying SHE LOST BECAUSE OF THE BIGOTS which isn't true

For that matter I don't understand how doing the equivalent of pointing and screaming SEXIST is supposed to be helpful (it's because "raising awareness is a bullshit concept made to try and shame people and make liberals feel like they're fighting the good fight without doing anything)

• Locked thread