Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

LEGO Genetics posted:

My first island scan is... Litwick.

Oh

Yeah! That was my first Island scan too. I didn't even know it was in the game. I was going to use the new Marowak, but gently caress that, I got a candle instead. I didn't get the good fire immunity ability but flame body has helped hatch all my eggs quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I want that friendship cafe. It's a goddamn shame that running around this bullshit castle themepark doesn't count as running with my munchlax or I'd have maxed the gently caress out of his friendship meter looking for someone whose favorite store is a friendship cafe.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Khanstant posted:

Yeah! That was my first Island scan too. I didn't even know it was in the game. I was going to use the new Marowak, but gently caress that, I got a candle instead. I didn't get the good fire immunity ability but flame body has helped hatch all my eggs quickly.

I got a Deino. Which is cool but gently caress carrying that dude around to the mid 50's before he evolves into his mid form. I named him Snuggles and put him in a pretty pink heal ball and am rather tempted just to wonder-trade him as a joke.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

do pelippers have lucky eggs in this one?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Pakled posted:

Does the giveaway Munchlax have randomized stats or something? Because my Snorlax has a +attack nature, and between STAB Body Slam (Chip Away before I hit 25) and Brick Break to cover rock and steel types, it wrecks poo poo like nobody's business.
He only just got Body Slam (like, 15 minutes ago), so I might actually use him now. Before, he basically had Hold Back and Brick Break as the only ways he could do damage.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Krinkle posted:

I want that friendship cafe. It's a goddamn shame that running around this bullshit castle themepark doesn't count as running with my munchlax or I'd have maxed the gently caress out of his friendship meter looking for someone whose favorite store is a friendship cafe.

That castle themepark is even more poorly implemented than the SOS mechanic. If you're gonna make me grind for festival coins and theme park rank ups then why can't we use the coins to just buy the shops we want? Who the gently caress thought it was a good idea to put all the shops behind RNG?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Lycanroc/Sun is a good dog, it's been the strongest Pokemon on my team since Akala Island and gotten me out of too many scrapes

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

TaurusOxford posted:

That castle themepark is even more poorly implemented than the SOS mechanic. If you're gonna make me grind for festival coins and theme park rank ups then why can't we use the coins to just buy the shops we want? Who the gently caress thought it was a good idea to put all the shops behind RNG?

I just wanted Join Avenue, but it's nothing like it. :( Who's decision was it to make interacting with your guests pointless 80% of the time? And most of that 20 is just listening to DP's journal or BW's passer-by analytics.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Yeah, as long as you don't mind the long boot time and inability to quit out quickly and elegantly there's no difference.

Next Dartrix complaint: It turns into a sniper owl soon and it doesn't even learn Aerial Ace?!

On the plus side, Pluck has a higher base power, and is actually useful for some of the Totem pokemon (some of them have berries equipped). By the way, anyone else notice how the vast majority of Trials involve types or Pokemon with subtypes weak to one of Grass, Flying, or Ghost? Decidueye can manage super effective attacks on about 75% of the scripted Pokemon in the game, using only moves it got by leveling up. I had to actively force myself to use other Pokemon on my team during a number of battles. Usually Game Freak is better about balancing which starters have an advantage at different parts of the game. Incineroar and Primarina have advantages in a lot of situations, too, don't get me wrong, the starters this time around have incredible offensive coverage, and gen 7 is real easy anyway, but I find it odd that they'd design it like that.

Speaking of type combinations, is anyone else finding Alolan Golem really awkward, typing-wise? Since most Water moves are Special and Golem out-speeds all of nothing, it's really only useful against Flying unless it has Sturdy, but without Galvanize, you're left with either Thunderpunch or Wild Charge as your main Electric move, and both have issues (TPunch isn't quite as strong as would be ideal, and Wild Charge causes recoil, which is a bad combination with Sturdy if you want it to gain experience). I like that Game Freak's adding in offbeat type combinations like this, though, to keep things from being too easy.

EclecticTastes fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Nov 22, 2016

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Passimian is also a beast, it's crazy how 80 Speed is a decent bellwether in SuMo

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Alkydere posted:

I got a Deino. Which is cool but gently caress carrying that dude around to the mid 50's before he evolves into his mid form. I named him Snuggles and put him in a pretty pink heal ball and am rather tempted just to wonder-trade him as a joke.

Yeah, litwick is another late bloomer. Plus I have to hope someone pulls a dusk stone out of their rear end.

And I just started the dimensional club quests, and they're trying to figure these things out but uhh, I already have two. Just ask me! Or acknowledge it at least

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Zore posted:

Same reason they gave it the best physical ghost move in the game, had it learn it by level up one level before evolution and stuck the move relearner right before the e4.

:shepicide:

I thought The Charjabug line was a physical attacker. The game frontloads all of these physical attacks, then when he evolves its OOPS SPECIAL ATTACKER, go to the move relearner idiot!

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Tae posted:

I thought people loved platinum, i'm behind on me pokemon apparently

I love Platinum but if the past remakes are any indication it'll be Diamond/Pearl without most of Platinum's fixes, which is The Worst

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
lol zygarde's ability is so bad

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Whoa, thanks to call for help I now have a level 11 Gyarados. Hmm.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Khanstant posted:

Yeah, litwick is another late bloomer. Plus I have to hope someone pulls a dusk stone out of their rear end.

And I just started the dimensional club quests, and they're trying to figure these things out but uhh, I already have two. Just ask me! Or acknowledge it at least

Build up your Poke Pelagio. You can have your pokemon go mining for evolution stones at the Isle Aphun.

Nemo07
Jul 26, 2013
How's Alolan Sandslash? He's one I've had my eyes on for a while, but Game Freak seems to enjoy screwing over pokemon I was interested in using.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I haven't found a Pokemon I want on my team permanently besides Rowlett yet, but I'm keeping a full party chilling in my pocket anyway. Exp Share is nice.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Will a Popplio and a Primarina have the increased egg rate, or does it have to be too Popplios?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I used all 3 starters on my end game team as well as lunala (didn't actually use) mimikyu and a umbreon

I'm a interesting person.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just realized you can catch the other Lycanroc form in your game. Weird, the previews made it sound like it'd be a version exclusive.

Also, apparently I'm a true Master of the Pokemon because I made it through without wiping once, and I'm seriously retarded and never bother checking IVs or grinding EVs and I didn't catch any Eevees.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Nemo07 posted:

How's Alolan Sandslash? He's one I've had my eyes on for a while, but Game Freak seems to enjoy screwing over pokemon I was interested in using.

He seems like he'd really need a dedicated Hail team to be worth using. Him and Ninetales go together naturally but I have no idea what you'd put on that team with them. Which is a shame because I think he's rad as hell looking, and so is Ninetales.

I know poo poo about Hail teams :shrug:

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

where the gently caress can i teach Smeargle curse? welll poo poo. Now I know.

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Nov 22, 2016

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Junkie Disease posted:

where the gently caress can i teach Smeargle curse?

I'd assume you sketch it off another pokeman.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Anyone have either a Synchronize Modest Pokemon or Modest Ditto in SuMo?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

cheetah7071 posted:

Will a Popplio and a Primarina have the increased egg rate, or does it have to be too Popplios?

Two Popplios will get better results than a Popplio/Primarina, and it's further sped up if they have different original trainers.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

corn in the bible posted:

lol zygarde's ability is so bad

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

He was talking about Zydog with Aura Break. Which is completely pointless in Sun and Moon! :v:

Nemo07
Jul 26, 2013

Captain Oblivious posted:

He seems like he'd really need a dedicated Hail team to be worth using. Him and Ninetales go together naturally but I have no idea what you'd put on that team with them. Which is a shame because I think he's rad as hell looking, and so is Ninetales.

I know poo poo about Hail teams :shrug:

Ah, so just put him right next to Marowak in the "Looks cool but basically useless in the main story" category.

At least this Dewpider I just caught is immediately putting in work. Scald + Water Bubble + Mystic Water = :fuckoff:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nemo07 posted:

Ah, so just put him right next to Marowak in the "Looks cool but basically useless in the main story" category.

At least this Dewpider I just caught is immediately putting in work. Scald + Water Bubble + Mystic Water = :fuckoff:

Dewpider is ridiculous, yeah. It'll evolve into Araquanid almost immediately, too, at which point it becomes a decently tanky god of watery death.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Between Araquanid and Golisopod, this gen has been very kind to water/bug types.

Nemo07
Jul 26, 2013

Roland Jones posted:

Dewpider is ridiculous, yeah. It'll evolve into Araquanid almost immediately, too, at which point it becomes a decently tanky god of watery death.

Had I leveled him to match the rest of my team he might have been able to take on the Water totem by himself, which is nuts.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
To be honest I used both a Golisopod and an Araquanid and found very little use for the latter. Maybe I just got unlucky with its base stats, but it only did slightly more damage with water attacks than the Golisopod, at the cost of having weaker attacks of other types and not being quite as tanky. It wasn't bad exactly, but there was never a situation where it seemed like the best choice. It's neither tanky or fast enough to just spam Liquidate and kill everything, for example. It dies horribly to any rock or electric type.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Clarste posted:

To be honest I used both a Golisopod and an Araquanid and found very little use for the latter. Maybe I just got unlucky with its base stats, but it only did slightly more damage with water attacks than the Golisopod, at the cost of having weaker attacks of other types and not being quite as tanky. It wasn't bad exactly, but there was never a situation where it seemed like the best choice. It's neither tanky or fast enough to just spam Liquidate and kill everything, for example. It dies horribly to any rock or electric type.

Golisopod has a much higher attack than Araquanid, while also getting a physical water move much earlier. Water bubble will just barely make up the difference on that side, but obviously won't help for other move types.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

ugh i really hoped the initial championship rules would ban all legendaries.

drat POKEMON TRYHARDS

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

EclecticTastes posted:

Speaking of type combinations, is anyone else finding Alolan Golem really awkward, typing-wise? Since most Water moves are Special and Golem out-speeds all of nothing, it's really only useful against Flying unless it has Sturdy, but without Galvanize, you're left with either Thunderpunch or Wild Charge as your main Electric move, and both have issues (TPunch isn't quite as strong as would be ideal, and Wild Charge causes recoil, which is a bad combination with Sturdy if you want it to gain experience). I like that Game Freak's adding in offbeat type combinations like this, though, to keep things from being too easy.

Yeah it sucks because the new Golem looks awesome as hell. :( I guess its one gimmick, not that it matters, is that it has the strongest physical electric attack in the game with its hidden ability AND it comes with no drawbacks too. Plus Rock/Electric is just an inherently cool typing.

Speaking of Alolan Pokemon though, Marowak looks like a loving monster, as long as you get its obviously-superior ability (Lightning Rod). Hellacious damage with Thick Club, phys attacker that can't be burned and is semi-immune to paralysis, fire resistance and electric immunity while also being resistant to fairy, and with a good movepool too.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
What's the best way to grind up my dudes? The gap between the elite four and the battle to unlock mega evolutions is like ten levels. Also eventually I'll be hyper training I guess.

e: the elite four leveled up too...

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Nov 22, 2016

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

tfw silvally and type:null don't get recovery or priority

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

Yeah it sucks because the new Golem looks awesome as hell. :( I guess its one gimmick, not that it matters, is that it has the strongest physical electric attack in the game with its hidden ability AND it comes with no drawbacks too. Plus Rock/Electric is just an inherently cool typing.

I'm gonna use a tapu bulu+sand offense team with alolan golem and no one can stop me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Ruggington posted:

tfw silvally and type:null don't get recovery or priority

It's hosed up, I wanted our ghetto arceus to be good but that looks like a pipe dream at this point. The memory discs don't even give a corresponding type boost. :(