Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Is there much in the way of good guidance for Take Two for someone only vaguely familiar with the game? All I ever learned from HS Arena mode is that 2 and 3 mana cost cards were great to curve towards, and I know this game tends to last longer, but beyond that I haven't a real clue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Started playing this, seems fun so far, really like runecraft even tho she's bad apparently?? prolly still gonna play her tho, summoning 10 tokens onto a 5 slot board and zapping enemy minions for 12 overkill all day

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I hope to god the rumors about changing other card art is true. I'm tired of assuming every Elana player is a pedophile.

I honestly don't pay attention to the card art. What are you talking about?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Liquefied a bunch of cards to make the Seraph deck linked in the OP, short only one Seraph, and it is indeed amazingly loving funny to pull out a Seraph and win the game with one defense and nothing left to play after playing two Themis's Decree in a row

That guy must have been so loving frustrated

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

quote:

Shadowverse’s design team at Cygames in Tokyo has some pedigree in the CCG space. Six members played Magic the Gathering competitively, including Jun'ya Iyanaga, who won the World Championship in 2011 and has five Grand Prix top eights, and Naoyuki Miyashita who came second in the 2011 Limits.

i think you should put this info in the OP because i think its cool and interesting

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Clarste posted:

I honestly don't pay attention to the card art. What are you talking about?

If I hadn't said Elana players I could point to a ton of them but in this instance, Unicorn Dancer Unica.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Nehru the Damaja posted:

If I hadn't said Elana players I could point to a ton of them but in this instance, Unicorn Dancer Unica.

That goes in like, almost every single non-aggro deck in the game.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
The pedophile meme

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I'm not the one who decided to make it anime

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
there's sure are a lot of pedophile cards in this game!!!

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
if you play this good 2/2 anti-aggro card you must be a sicko

brb hauling myself to the authorities for playing a forest deck

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Man if you wanna act like anime has normal healthy attitudes about little kids you can try. But even just looking at the Shadowverse Twitter feed people were posting fuckin disgusting stuff in response to them.

edit: But we're getting away from the important part: Saying I'm tired of assuming every Elana player is a pedophile isn't meant to be taken seriously for christ's sake. It's hyperbolic. I'm trying to say "hey anime is kinda creepy." I wouldn't think that's controversial.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Nov 22, 2016

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

Is there much in the way of good guidance for Take Two for someone only vaguely familiar with the game? All I ever learned from HS Arena mode is that 2 and 3 mana cost cards were great to curve towards, and I know this game tends to last longer, but beyond that I haven't a real clue.

search the cards you're drafting on gamepress. It lists an arena score, which is generally a pretty good indicator how strong it'll be. Other then that, yeah, keep a low curve and try to avoid playing greedy: the biggest mistake I see people make is being too precious with their evolves.

in terms of classes: avoid bloodcraft, they are easily the worst. If you play runecraft go fully into earth sigil cards, spellboost doesn't work at all. The rest are pretty straightforward I think.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Man if you wanna act like anime has normal healthy attitudes about little kids you can try. But even just looking at the Shadowverse Twitter feed people were posting fuckin disgusting stuff in response to them.

edit: But we're getting away from the important part: Saying I'm tired of assuming every Elana player is a pedophile isn't meant to be taken seriously for christ's sake. It's hyperbolic. I'm trying to say "hey anime is kinda creepy." I wouldn't think that's controversial.

got it, every medium, applied at the most general categorization, should be evaluated by the acts of the most depraved of its fans

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I'm sorry if you have found yourself overtaken by sudden urges to have sex with children after being exposed to dumb card games, but I can guarantee you that's not even remotely a common occurrence.

On the other if you haven't (spoilers, that puts you amongst 99% of people whether or not you include anime fans) then casually throwing around those kinds of accusations at others is incredibly tasteless and lovely and not at all what this thread is for.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

_jink posted:

search the cards you're drafting on gamepress. It lists an arena score, which is generally a pretty good indicator how strong it'll be. Other then that, yeah, keep a low curve and try to avoid playing greedy: the biggest mistake I see people make is being too precious with their evolves.

in terms of classes: avoid bloodcraft, they are easily the worst. If you play runecraft go fully into earth sigil cards, spellboost doesn't work at all. The rest are pretty straightforward I think.

I draft mainly haven, shadow, and sword so here's a few tips for each:

Haven: The good minion amulets are Beastly Vow, Divine Birdsong, Beastcaller Aria, Pinion Prayer, and Pious Fox. Dual Flames is a little too slow but it can work. Death Sentence and Sacred Plea are the only non-minion amulets I'd really consider taking. Everything else either has too high a delay or no storm component. Priest of the Cudgel is insane and your main evolution targets, Heaven's Dogma is ok but sometimes it gets stuck, and Prism Priestess's value goes up with everything else. Sky Sprite is a really good common to pick up since a 2/3 for 3 is good on its own and giving your Holyflame Tigers rush is a great way to gain board control without spending an evolution point.

As for whether or not to draft Elana's, if it's the last pick and you have like 7-8 lifegain cards incidentally (most of them are ok on their own, if they are fanfares on minions), Elana's is a reasonably high pick. First pick is kind of risky, I'd avoid for the most part, especially if your other pick has two solid playables. If your pick without Elana's has an unplayable card (Love's Gospel, Devourer of Heavens), then picking Elana's on the first pick is ok. Don't value lifegain over strong individual cards, but pick it higher than you would without Elana. I think most of the time, Elana's Prayer is a trap, but Haven does have a lot of dud or underwhelming rares so it's kind of a wash.

Enstatued Seraph is reasonably strong I think, especially if you get it first pick. It's a card that wins on its own in 4 turns and can't be easily removed, so you can really reap the benefits of haven's defensive oriented cards that would often fall behind in races or trading without such a wincon.

Shadow: Picking good 2-drops is from my experience the highest priority here, because 2 is Shadow's weakest curve point. You'll often end up with more shadow spenders than efficient shadow makers, so try to pick minions that can generate shadows while contesting the board (token makers, spartoi), but also don't be afraid to play some of your weaker necromancy cards without the ability to activate their necromancy effects. Dark Conjurer and Apprentice Necromancer are, for example, strong when played with their Fanfare conditions met, but not worth holding if they are your only 2 or 3 drop and you would otherwise miss your 2 or 3 drop. Pay close attention to how you're spending shadows and keep in mind that ghosts do not generate shadows, while spells do make shadows as soon as they're resolved. Charon and Playful Necromancer are the key evolution cards. I think Shadow is the most consistent comeback class (rune and dragon can have stronger combos but are less consistent), so don't give up even if you're behind by a lot. A few necromancy activations can swing a board completely to your control. Remember to grab a few wards, at low priority since shadow has a lot of good wards, to prevent your opponent from storming you out after you've gained board control. Lord Atomy is a trap pick. Phantom Dragon and Midnight Haunting are probably the only really bad rares, with Deathly Tyrant being overcosted but sometimes valuable.

Sword: Trade up, stick minions on board, go for face when you have a plan to win within a few turns through your opponent's board clearing potential (storms mostly). Floral Fencer is nuts, as is Avant Blader. Don't be afraid of AoE like you would be in constructed, since most classes don't have good AoE and Angelic Barrage is rather rare anyway. Sword can have a hard time coming back from behind so either save evolution points to recover/gain momentum or hold your storm cards / removal as long as possible, unless, of course, you can calculate a line to get lethal barring the most ridiculous bombs your opponent could have. Since sword gets a lot of effects that boost an Officer's power, look for ways to leave your random officers in play to trade up into your opponent's cards to retain momentum. A lot of sword players lose because they go for face too early or too late.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 22, 2016

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Kanfy posted:

I'm sorry if you have found yourself overtaken by sudden urges to have sex with children after being exposed to dumb card games, but I can guarantee you that's not even remotely a common occurrence.for.

"Yo that poo poo people were posting to the Shadowverse Twitter was gross."

"Um, excuse me normal healthy adults have no problem with a half-naked vampire child"

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Positives imo:
-It's anime :shittypop:

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Managed to get a win going after three straight losses with Dimension Shift, I kind of see how it's a really dumb deck but it plays with Runecraft's Spell power up thing really well. Since the deck doesn't really center around monsters I'm free to use more removal and evolve for extra effects over stats or if it'll lead to a win; the other player had a 5 def Ward on the table and with 3 snowmen alive from last turn I could evolve one to swing for 5 damage, pop a Dimension Shift for 2 and toss out 5 snowmen for five damage next turn and another 8 mana dimension shift for the last 5 I needed for victory.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Does Commence Experiment exist for the sole purpose of trying to get people to play a Spellboost / Earth Rite hybrid given that you could just throw up a wall with Scrap Iron Smelter instead and get the same amount of Shadows.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know how Earth Rite cards work but I presume there's some kind of combo where having an earth rite is preferable over having a 0/2 wall on the field. As someone who doesn't really play these since Yugioh years ago, I'm honestly surprised how pleasant it is to play the game. Back when I started I just opened the game because a Granblue Fantasy friend was talking about it, and opening up the free packs awarded from maintenance screwups and getting free cards was fun, and it turned out I got a lot of really good legendaries at that.

I guess it didn't help that back then the game crashed when it tried to play certain sound files, but it's good to see things have been ironed out and the game's gotten a following.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

"Yo that poo poo people were posting to the Shadowverse Twitter was gross."

"Um, excuse me normal healthy adults have no problem with a half-naked vampire child"

Man, you oughta be a politician rather than an SA poster with that kind of ability to misquote and twist conversations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

nftyw posted:

I don't know how Earth Rite cards work but I presume there's some kind of combo where having an earth rite is preferable over having a 0/2 wall on the field.

You get an Earth Rite and the 0/2 wall. Honestly, I find it pretty annoying in Earth Rite decks because it can take up so much space on your board and prevent you from playing actually useful things.

Anyway, I think the idea behind the card is mostly for spellboost synergy, but if you're going PtP I don't think it can hurt to have both options for shadows. Both of them are fairly efficient shadow generators.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

just opened an animated aurelia :smugdon:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

this poor guy had no clue what hit him. didnt get a single minion on board.

e from a few matches later: watching a beastcall pop without enough room and the tiger falling off feels real good from the other side.

Awesome! fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Nov 22, 2016

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009
Just did the trial for b0. If you lose and drop a rank after you beat it do you have to do the trial again is was that a one time thing?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

You can't drop back down to a lower letter rank.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Dude, Unica is like, 34, in unicorn years.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

The one good thing about a Seraph mirror is when the guy who went first thinks he's gonna win and you just combo the whole thing out the next turn.

Weird decks I've never seen before but run into several times in the past 12 hours:

Earth Rite PTP: I have no idea how well this works against other lists but it kicks the poo poo out of a lot of Haven lists with all the wards and full complement of Petrification.

Shadow Aggro/Atomy. I've seen tons of shadow aggro but the Atomy decks run some cards I haven't seen in the others like the Last Word Lich guy, Burial Grounds to more easily reach 4 on board, etc. I'm not surprised it exists but I'm surprised at how many I've seen in A ranks since last night. Maybe some streamer showed it?

Only saw this one once but it was interesting: Basically Banner Sword PS gently caress You Angelic Barrage. Vanguard, Goblin, Ascetic Knight, and a zillion other cheap guys with higher toughness than power. Goblin surprised me because it doesn't get a Banner boost but I guess he was committed.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 22, 2016

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
1 Legendary in 60 packs, and no animated Golds for vials either. RIP me

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Insurrectionist posted:

How did you get 60 packs?

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
I nearly lost a game because I believed that Tsubaki's fanfare didn't work on followers buffed by Elf Girl Liza. Forest player plays the biggest Ancient Elf, protects board with Elf Girl Liza. I play Aurelia on a full enemy board next turn but gets wiped to Crystalia Eve. I still have to deal with a big Ancient Elf protected again by a Elf Girl Liza. I said gently caress it play Tsubaki on the ancient elf thinking it wouldn't work then concede. The elf is erased and my opponent ragequits. I'm confused on what Elf Girl Liza actually protects you against.

Next game is against PtP Forest complete with 3 Ancient Elves, two Eves and two roaches. Forest has 29 shadows and PtP on the field but I topdeck Alwida's Command with an evo point for exact lethal. Another disconnect afterwards.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
elf girl liza protects from spell and ability damage

i.e. Angelic Barrage.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

trucutru posted:

How did you get 60 packs?

I get packs out the rear end from take two plus various rewards. I play about an hour a day, usually a TT run and then some ranked to finish daily quests, so every day I get a pack, maybe like 100 gold on average from the run, another 80 - 100 from the daily quests (I only get two since I haven't tied my account to anything) and then whatever score/achievement rewards I happen to earn on the way. I usually wait until I have 10+ packs of both types before opening 20 at a time and even without spending gold on them they stack up pretty quick. Gold, I typically save until I get around 2500 or so (while also spending it on TT runs constantly on the way), then I buy 10 packs of one type and start saving again.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
So yeah, B rank is full of banner players... who have no idea how to play the mirror, so I have been preying on them. Is that banner? Free win!

For whatever reason they chose to play as if my deck was a regular non-weenie one and go face on the first 3 rounds. Meanwhile I just do good trades and round four usually starts with me with 2 wounded duders on my side and nothing on theirs so I've already pretty much won. They either drop a banner (like idiots) and let me take complete control of the board or they drop duders which I can also do. Then they realize that killing my 2/1s and 2/2s with assassins is not a particularly effective strategy and the matches end by concedes on round 6, sometimes with unused evo points.

E: Latest change to the deck is to add a couple of avant garders, they have been working well. Sure, sometimes a maid fishes them instead of the banner but they tend to fish a maid back so basically it makes for a slightly slower version of the deck. It is fun and if I happen to have the 1-2-3-banner(or)floral-avant curve it smokes plenty of decks.

Insurrectionist posted:

I get packs out the rear end from take two plus various rewards. I play about an hour a day, usually a TT run and then some ranked to finish daily quests, so every day I get a pack, maybe like 100 gold on average from the run, another 80 - 100 from the daily quests (I only get two since I haven't tied my account to anything) and then whatever score/achievement rewards I happen to earn on the way. I usually wait until I have 10+ packs of both types before opening 20 at a time and even without spending gold on them they stack up pretty quick. Gold, I typically save until I get around 2500 or so (while also spending it on TT runs constantly on the way), then I buy 10 packs of one type and start saving again.

Ah, ok. I guess I should start cashing all my free TT tix but I want to get a bit more experience before that.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 22, 2016

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

nftyw posted:

I don't know how Earth Rite cards work but I presume there's some kind of combo where having an earth rite is preferable over having a 0/2 wall on the field.

Fwiw I run 1 Commerce Experiment and 1 Petrify in my dshift to help deal with Seraph and other obnoxious amulets and I'm usually pretty happy to play CE whenever because it's a 1 cost spellboost. A lot of the strength of the deck comes from having like 5 cards in hand that all get cheaper when spellboosted and your cheap spells become -4 cost or whatever it happens to be.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Insurrectionist posted:

I would never throw away animated cards because they're so pretty :3: as dorky as that is

Like I'd have a third Seraph and have that deck 100% complete if I trashed my animated Bloody Mary, but even with how unlikely I am to ever play BloodCraft (the style doesn't interest me at all) I just don't have the heart to do it

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

trucutru posted:

Ah, ok. I guess I should start cashing all my free TT tix but I want to get a bit more experience before that.

Not really any need, you get plenty of packs/gold to sustain it and it's the best way of learning. I'm still only in the C ranks and I hadn't even played Ranked before my first arena run. And while that run went 1 - 4, I had an insane series of runs after that and was like 36 - 12 overall including said 1 - 4 run. Evened out more now, but point is, you can definitely get wins even when you're poo poo at the game - the draft feels like it decides your success more so than in Hearthstone for example, for two very obvious reasons, so partly there's a lot of chance anyway and partly you need learning that can't be gained easily through Ranked since you're gonna have to pick a loooot of cards that never see play there.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Take Two wants me to choose between the responsible choice and living the dream. Honestly the only reason I'm even hesitating is that while Wight King is awesome, Madame Lich has been ennnnh in my experience. It's still gotta be a better pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
madame lich is pretty good. her baseline is on curve and when you really get a combo off with her your opponent is completely wrecked, since shadow has a lot of ways to just make 1/1 skeletons or 2/2 zombies that your opponent can't always clear off.

the left pick is insanely better.

deathly tyrant is like, so far below curve that it's almost unplayable, and midnight haunting does nothing

• Locked thread