Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Howard Phillips posted:

For those goons on the out can you give me lessons learned on the DD214 drafting/approval process?

When I was discharged from enlisted service to attend USNA my DD214 was all messed up and I had no say or awareness of the process. I had to submit a DD215 to get some stuff added and even that was done because a kind admin gentleman at the academy fought it on my behalf.

I just want to make sure everything that I've earned and done is properly documented before I get out.

My lesson learned was: Don't expect to obtain your DD214 on a timely basis when some crazy loving NMCI IT gently caress decides to shoot up the place in Andrews AFB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
My first DD-214 I just sat down and told the guy everything I had, he checked the award site to confirm, and typed it all down. Same for my second DD-214.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

Mr. Nice! posted:

My first DD-214 I just sat down and told the guy everything I had, he checked the award site to confirm, and typed it all down. Same for my second DD-214.

Is it handled by your ship or some PSD bubba?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Howard Phillips posted:

Is it handled by your ship or some PSD bubba?

PSD. First was a PS3 back forever ago in Jacksonville. Second was a civilian in Hawaii.

Make sure all your stuff is in your record. If all of your things are properly in NSIPS or whatever they're using now, there shouldn't be much hassle. If something isn't documented, do it now.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Vriess posted:

My lesson learned was: Don't expect to obtain your DD214 on a timely basis when some crazy loving NMCI IT gently caress decides to shoot up the place in Andrews AFB.

Enlisted guys show up a few days ahead of high school kids and get a hard copy dd214 as part of the check in process.

Howard Phillips posted:

I had to submit a DD215 to get some stuff added and even that was done because a kind admin gentleman at the academy fought it on my behalf.

Nice to hear this. I had the exact opposite experience with usna.

Are you there now? The only advice I can give is to have documentation and use your chain of command, particularly your company chief, to grease any problems you have.

Proust Malone fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 19, 2016

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

No longer at the academy. That was back in 2008 when I reported there and got discharged from enlisted status.

So, am I supposed to get my DD214 prior to going on terminal leave?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Howard Phillips posted:

No longer at the academy. That was back in 2008 when I reported there and got discharged from enlisted status.

I got mine on my last day of service when I went in to get my TAMP ID. I'm not sure if you can get it before terminal or not.

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..

Howard Phillips posted:

I got mine before starting terminal in August. But I didn't mess with TAMP or take more than a few weeks because I did an inter service transfer. I worked with one of my command's YN's to draft my 214 before they sent it to PSD. PSD gave me a last chance to fix stuff when I went in to sign it and all that.

sweg420blazeit
Oct 11, 2016
Hey guys, I've got another question. Hope you guys don't mind! For those of you who were officers, what line of work are you in now?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I sell tacos and taco accessories.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 21, 2016

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
I am not nor was I ever an officer, but my dad retired as a Supply Corps captain, did project management contracting for Stanley and Cummins for a few years, and is now fully retired and sports a huge beard and ridiculous shoulder-length hair and volunteers teaching at a sort of 'troubled youth' high school.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

sweg420blazeit posted:

Hey guys, I've got another question. Hope you guys don't mind! For those of you who were officers, what line of work are you in now?

Contractor, making sure the different services actually train together rather than hiding in their own corners playing with themselves.

Edit: Whoops, didn't realize this was the Navy thread. I was an AF officer, but contract for the Navy now.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
MBA student, looking at marketing in healthcare sector (med device probably)

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Godholio posted:

Contractor, making sure the different services actually train together rather than hiding in their own corners playing with themselves.

Edit: Whoops, didn't realize this was the Navy thread. I was an AF officer, but contract for the Navy now.

I can't believe I didn't piece this together, but did you work the last Air Wing Fallon? If so, I think we might have met briefly.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I did indeed. I'm guessing you were in Titan for an ATP when I was loitering?

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.
CID isn't giving a 96. All students in JCAC have to come back to class on Friday.

Haha, suck it.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Godholio posted:

I did indeed. I'm guessing you were in Titan for an ATP when I was loitering?

I was the butterbar briefer with the outrageous callsign. I felt like I was always running into a group of contractors, thought one of them might be you.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

In the little MP rooms? I sat through one of those briefings, too. Not sure how many ensigns there were, though. Mostly I only interacted with the AWACS/RJ/E2/EP3/P3/P8 dudes. But I was bouncing around the MP rooms for a week, too.

Since you've apparently commissioned, what's your new career field?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Vriess posted:

CID isn't giving a 96. All students in JCAC have to come back to class on Friday.

Haha, suck it.

Hahahah suckers. I'm on nights at Dam Neck and they are having us come in 4 hours early so they can rid of us at 1300.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Vriess posted:

Haha, suck it.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. No seriously, during JCAC gently caress getting days off which fucks with the schedule and then forces them to compress even more knowledge in less time. Days off are nice, but it kinda fucks a lot of students.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Said no student ever on thanksgiving weekend.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

Said no student ever on thanksgiving weekend.

Said no IT student ever on thanksgiving weekend.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I haven't taken JCAC yet but if the scheduling is anything like the pace of System Admin losing a day would involve 90 minutes of power point time.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

LingcodKilla posted:

I haven't taken JCAC yet but if the scheduling is anything like the pace of System Admin losing a day would involve 90 minutes of power point time.

JCAC is the CTN 'A' School. There are a few days that are straight up worthless and a lot of days with a ton of "practice" time built in. It *highly* depends on how much experience you come in with and test taking ability.

Some people had to get rolled because it was too fast.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Returned with Honor.

LingcodKilla posted:

there's a couple of instructor goons and about 3-4 goons who graduated it.

But yeah, usually a 96 is granted, meaning a 2-hour compression per day for a week to make up for it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

gently caress me and these goddamn acronyms.
Got it confused with the radio C school.

I'm actually enjoying learning SAGA right now even though all the fleet returnees are saying that it's about 50% out dated.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Laranzu posted:

JCAC is the CTN 'A' School. There are a few days that are straight up worthless and a lot of days with a ton of "practice" time built in. It *highly* depends on how much experience you come in with and test taking ability.

Some people had to get rolled because it was too fast.

We started with 20, ended up with 11(I think) at the end. Thanksgiving and Xmas compression times caused at least 3 of those to fail out last year.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Having Navy Officer, specifically SWO, experience on the resume seems to be a mixed bag as I prepare for civilian land. On one hand I have experience and understanding of many different swim lanes from administration, industrial floor manager (what we call deckplate), planning and operations, to human resources but they are mostly surface level exposures. Also rarely are you ever asked to implement something new. Everything is written in an instruction or a policy, all you have to do is understand it and execute it. There maybe some creativity in the execution but even then you are usually working for people deeply entrenched in years of doing it the same way and your idea will most likely be shot down.

So the advantages of this generalist experience require creative contextualization or a more focused narrative to market yourself to employers. What I'm finding frustrating is that my SWO experience doesn't give me much when it comes to the tech industry. I don't have the skillset in the technical arena, which must be proven first before I can start taking advantage of my management and leadership experiences.

Talking to friends on the out and other officers I have met who successfully transitioned the things that make ex military stand out are not hard defined skillsets but rather intangible likes being able to work 14 hours straight and not complain or professionalism. As SWOs we're programmed to toe the line, which can be good for corporate type of environments looking for drones. I just don't know how this translates to the "startup culture idealized" tech industry where everybody is an equal and brimming with creative ideas.

Headhunter groups such as Lucas Group, Bradley Morris, Alliance Careers, and others offer decent jobs at the mid level but they're jobs very similar to what a SWO does. Industrial/maintenance management type of jobs are all located in rural or industrial areas. Not very appealing to me.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Bradley Morris sent me poo poo like "elevator repairman in NYC for 60k." Yeah. Thanks, guys.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Godholio posted:

In the little MP rooms? I sat through one of those briefings, too. Not sure how many ensigns there were, though. Mostly I only interacted with the AWACS/RJ/E2/EP3/P3/P8 dudes. But I was bouncing around the MP rooms for a week, too.

Since you've apparently commissioned, what's your new career field?

Intel type, with the wing. I didn't talk too much with the ISR/Controller folks though, maybe poked my head in that area once or twice. We probably walked by each other in the hallway. I was the white guy of average height and build, remember? Oh, wait...

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Howard Phillips posted:

Having Navy Officer, specifically SWO, experience on the resume seems to be a mixed bag as I prepare for civilian land. On one hand I have experience and understanding of many different swim lanes from administration, industrial floor manager (what we call deckplate), planning and operations, to human resources but they are mostly surface level exposures. Also rarely are you ever asked to implement something new. Everything is written in an instruction or a policy, all you have to do is understand it and execute it. There maybe some creativity in the execution but even then you are usually working for people deeply entrenched in years of doing it the same way and your idea will most likely be shot down.

So the advantages of this generalist experience require creative contextualization or a more focused narrative to market yourself to employers. What I'm finding frustrating is that my SWO experience doesn't give me much when it comes to the tech industry. I don't have the skillset in the technical arena, which must be proven first before I can start taking advantage of my management and leadership experiences.

Talking to friends on the out and other officers I have met who successfully transitioned the things that make ex military stand out are not hard defined skillsets but rather intangible likes being able to work 14 hours straight and not complain or professionalism. As SWOs we're programmed to toe the line, which can be good for corporate type of environments looking for drones. I just don't know how this translates to the "startup culture idealized" tech industry where everybody is an equal and brimming with creative ideas.

Headhunter groups such as Lucas Group, Bradley Morris, Alliance Careers, and others offer decent jobs at the mid level but they're jobs very similar to what a SWO does. Industrial/maintenance management type of jobs are all located in rural or industrial areas. Not very appealing to me.

Yup, had the same experience. "Thank you for your service but you don't have specific long term experience in _______ "

In the short run that was miserable and demoralizing but in the long run I'm glad it drove me to get a real qualification in something which may have terrible pay and working conditions but I enjoy doing (teaching).

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Howard Phillips posted:

Having Navy Officer, specifically SWO, experience on the resume seems to be a mixed bag as I prepare for civilian land.

Stultus Maximus posted:

get a real qualification

Trimmed the fat a bit.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Alternatively, get an MBA or other similar degree

I had a buddy get a project management job with Cisco after the Navy, but he was able to demonstrate pretty clearly why he was an excellent fit for it (it's most of what you mentioned).

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Doing shotgun qualification. Can't start because there's no corpsman. The class leader didn't verify this evidently. Cool

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Were they expecting lots of squished fingers and shoulder injuries?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I understand this isn't as risky as soliciting transsexuals in restaurant's but still a good idea, and policy

The kids here think this is on training and medical. Not the class leader who just had to ensure coordination and having all working parts. Accountability is not a thing I guess

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

maffew buildings posted:

I understand this isn't as risky as soliciting transsexuals in restaurant's but still a good idea, and policy

When I'm even older I'll look back to my grueling reserve service days and thank God I didn't get take a piece of Hawaiin man meat to the face.

sweg420blazeit
Oct 11, 2016
So it sounds like if my career goal is senior level project management, going the fleet officer route would be a pretty roundabout way to get there. When I first started my NUPOC application, I was applying to Naval Reactors, which sounded like project management heaven. BUT, I found out all the NR billets had been filled through FY 2018, and I don't have the means to sit on my rear end until 2019 hoping for a billet. I switched my package over to sub/SWO nuke, which is where I am now.

I'm not scared of hard work, long hours, lovely work conditions, etc. I can put up with anything for 5 years with the right perspective. But if dealing with all the nuke bullshit doesn't even move me forward in my career path, I couldn't really maintain that perspective. One of the nuke LT's in Millington told me nukes get a lot of "project management" experience in refit, and especially in shipyard (as lovely as shipyard sounds). Was that LT just talking out of his rear end?

sweg420blazeit fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 22, 2016

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Red Crown posted:

Intel type, with the wing. I didn't talk too much with the ISR/Controller folks though, maybe poked my head in that area once or twice. We probably walked by each other in the hallway. I was the white guy of average height and build, remember? Oh, wait...

Decent chance I sat (stood in the doorway) through a briefing you gave, but I didn't interact with intel at all this time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

sweg420blazeit posted:

So it sounds like if my career goal is senior level project management, going the fleet officer route would be a pretty roundabout way to get there. When I first started my NUPOC application, I was applying to Naval Reactors, which sounded like project management heaven. BUT, I found out all the NR billets had been filled through FY 2018, and I don't have the means to sit on my rear end until 2019 hoping for a billet. I switched my package over to sub/SWO nuke, which is where I am now.

I'm not scared of hard work, long hours, lovely work conditions, etc. I can put up with anything for 5 years with the right perspective. But if dealing with all the nuke bullshit doesn't even move me forward in my career path, I couldn't really maintain that perspective. One of the nuke LT's in Millington told me nukes get a lot of "project management" experience in refit, and especially in shipyard (as lovely as shipyard sounds). Was that LT just talking out of his rear end?

The LT isn't wrong, in shipyard you will do tons of "project management" being the supervisor of evolutions and making sure your division deliverables are on track with the shipyard schedule. It's really closer to making sure your poo poo gets done and telling shipyard when it doesn't so they can fix it for you.

The most miserable people on the boat during shipyard are the nukes, and it was three times worse for the officers. It wasn't the work alone, it wasn't the conditions alone, it wasn't the culture alone. When you combine the hours, nuclear culture, navy BS, and a toxic command(guaranteed in shipyard) is when it gets to be too much for a lot of people.

• Locked thread