Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

That Works posted:

I'm fond of the coworker who says gently caress it and brings a big wedge of brie, crackers and jam to every function ever.

This is a great idea that I will be stealing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If you bring a selection of fruit, you can pretend you did it on purpose to be healthy.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've more than one unapologetically ordered pizza to potlucks because taking nice food on a bicycle is bullshit.

Guess what got eaten first literally every time?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

CommonShore posted:

I've more than one unapologetically ordered pizza to potlucks because taking nice food on a bicycle is bullshit.

Brie, crackers and jam?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
How about gently caress the people who bring those terrible loving lunch meat roll up things from Costco? Just don't even bother

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

CommonShore posted:

Maybe you shouldn't go to potlucks attended by 25-year-old manchildren. :colbert:

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

My go-to for work potlucks is the frank's buffalo chicken dip with cheddar chee, and ranch instead of bleu cheese dressing. I'm not a fan of it myself, since it's unapologetic salty hot trash, but holy cow the coworkers go through that poo poo in a second and always beg for the recipe.

I'm also pretty sure that those potlucks represent 100% of their annual celery consumption (except for the guy who dipped taquitos in it rather than use my celery).

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
We never have potlucks. We do however have bbq catered in 3 times a year.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I always make a roast veggie pot pie and a dessert pie of seasonal appropriateness. Low effort and pie crust is somehow still impressive to people.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

LOL, mine turned out just as terrible as I was expecting.

Only three people cooked (including me).
-Meat chili (was great, they guy who made it really knows how to cook)
-some kind of Spanish dish that was flat pastry with a filling of tuna fish and a little tomato sauce (it was decent, but the woman who made it is only a so-so cook)

Everything else was store-bought, and lovely choices, too. Lots of bad cupcakes, chips and salsa, etc. etc. Thankfully lots of beer and wine, though.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

One thing that I miss about my old job is that HR would buy a pig for the Vietnamese coworkers to prepare for potlucks. You could just throw some money at them instead of grabbing something from costco, too.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Jyrraeth posted:

One thing that I miss about my old job is that HR would buy a pig for the Vietnamese coworkers to prepare for potlucks. You could just throw some money at them instead of grabbing something from costco, too.

That is a strong utilization of Human Resources.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
This is the first year that Thanksgiving at my parents' won't be catered by a giant drive-thru Burger King order. I'm excited.

I still wish there were plans for more turkey and less lasagne, but I'll take what I can get. After all:
"There's no point to the turkey if we're not getting any KFC wedges." - Contradad

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Marta Velasquez posted:

This is the first year that Thanksgiving at my parents' won't be catered by a giant drive-thru Burger King order. I'm excited.

I still wish there were plans for more turkey and less lasagne, but I'll take what I can get. After all:
"There's no point to the turkey if we're not getting any KFC wedges." - Contradad Velasdad

Fixed That For Myself. I forgot about the namechange.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Does anyone have a good easy way to peel chicken/turkey feet of their scales? I just spent an hour doing 8 of them (turkey), I tried the scald and ice thing, it was rather tedious and gluey. A few came off quite nice and easy, but some feet were very stubborn. Did I over-scald?

However, my hands are gloriously soft.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Does anybody else use a turkey fryer to cook their Thanksgiving turkey? My mom's used one for the past couple of years for our family dinner. It's much faster than the traditional way and it allows her to cook two in a bit over three hours (4 minutes per pound, so I'm told).

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

get that OUT of my face posted:

Does anybody else use a turkey fryer to cook their Thanksgiving turkey? My mom's used one for the past couple of years for our family dinner. It's much faster than the traditional way and it allows her to cook two in a bit over three hours (4 minutes per pound, so I'm told).

I did it once. It makes a nice bird, nothing wrong with deep fried turkey, but with some careful prep you can get meat just as juicy from an oven. If you butterfly it, it'll cook in less then 3 hours no problem.

However, lots of people burn down their houses every year with turkey fryers, so be careful.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I wish I could use a frier but my gf is a ~~~*traditionalist*~~~ and I am not even allowed to spatchcock the poor bird.

I might do it anyway, get all hopped up on rum and bust of the back room yelling and waving a machete.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Thoughts on spatchcocking a duck? I always do Peking duck and I do it vertical. But I'm wondering this year if I should try it spatchcocked.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

My favorite turkey prep is a 12-16h hickory smoke treatment and just salting a bit after.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

hello friends. how is?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

GrAviTy84 posted:

hello friends. how is?

Welcome back

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

That Works posted:

Welcome back

thanks. just defended my dissertation a few weeks ago. has been a crazy last few months. Lookin for a job now. :woop:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Congrats, dude.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

GrAviTy84 posted:

thanks. just defended my dissertation a few weeks ago. has been a crazy last few months. Lookin for a job now. :woop:

Congrats!
What was the subject?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

thanks!

Heavy Ion Physics title was "Measurement of Identified Charged Hadron Anisotropic Flow in d+Au Collisions"

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

GrAviTy84 posted:

thanks!

Heavy Ion Physics title was "Measurement of Identified Charged Hadron Anisotropic Flow in d+Au Collisions"

Holy gently caress. I can barely understand that. I take it it concerns collisions in particle accelerators? What is a d+Au collision? What kind of flows are anisotropic? feel free to ignore if you've had enough of your subject but I'm fascinated (albeit ignorant)! (I named my company Strange Charm Limited).

Was it PhD?

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Congrats! Entering the real world after university was pretty great.

As for turkey, Isn't this the GWS approved method these days?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

therattle posted:

Holy gently caress. I can barely understand that. I take it it concerns collisions in particle accelerators? What is a d+Au collision? What kind of flows are anisotropic? feel free to ignore if you've had enough of your subject but I'm fascinated (albeit ignorant)! (I named my company Strange Charm Limited).

Was it PhD?
yes phd

Research was out of Brookhaven National Lab at their Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider (RHIC). We create a novel state of matter that "melts" nuclear matter like protons into their constituent quarks at high temperature (high energy density, if you wanna readmore google phrases like "Quark Gluon Plasma"). The melted matter behaves like a fluid and measurement of that fluid one of the big things we do. Fluids flow, and the shape of the flow is dependent on the geometry of the initial conditions, how dependent it is on that geometry is the measure of the anisotropy. d+Au is deuteron + gold collisions its just a comparison system to the symmetric Au+Au system and there was some nifty phenomenology that we didn't expect in this system and my analysis was a measurement of that phenomenon.

some links if you're really interested and wanna keep reading:
https://www.bnl.gov/rhic/default.asp

scientific american article: http://rhig.physics.yale.edu/Summer2014/sc%20am%20-%20zjac%20and%20riordan.pdf
the illustration on "elliptic flow" is basically the same thing as anisotropic flow

DekeThornton posted:

Congrats! Entering the real world after university was pretty great.

As for turkey, Isn't this the GWS approved method these days?

thanks! yeah. i cant wait to be making more than a grad student stipend. :/

turkeychat: I'm planning on svizzling mine in parts like the chefsteps guys do, leaning towards a dry brine with sichuan five spice. Deep fry to crisp.

edit: do we still say svizzle? tepid puddle? I'm woefully behind the times.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Nov 22, 2016

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

If you're postdocing... well, have fun with that salary.

Congrats!

I just did the jump from postdoc to faculty. Just as much fun as where you're at but also terrifying.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

That Works posted:

If you're postdocing... well, have fun with that salary.

Congrats!

I just did the jump from postdoc to faculty. Just as much fun as where you're at but also terrifying.

nah, I'm good on academia for a bit. looking into industry, leaning toward data science stuff with the analysis background I have.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I tried Kenji Lopez's recipe for pan-seared steak and that may have been the most terrified I've been since Trump got elected. Cast iron pan + oil + cut of meat = EXTREMELY ANGRY SPUTTERING DEATH LIQUID. I'm incredibly lucky I didn't get burned. Every time I flipped the steak I felt like I was gonna die. My basting spoon loving melted. I set off the fire alarm. The pan is still smoking inside the oven. The outside had a crust, sure, but it tastes burnt instead of crispy and beefy. I think I'm done trying to play Ace Chef for a long while.

The worst part is that even though I chickened out and took the steak off early, it still managed to get overcooked on the inside. :sigh:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

GrAviTy84 posted:

congrats man! dissertations are hard. crack a foie and cava, you deserve it :golfclap:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Pollyanna posted:

I tried Kenji Lopez's recipe for pan-seared steak and that may have been the most terrified I've been since Trump got elected. Cast iron pan + oil + cut of meat = EXTREMELY ANGRY SPUTTERING DEATH LIQUID. I'm incredibly lucky I didn't get burned. Every time I flipped the steak I felt like I was gonna die. My basting spoon loving melted. I set off the fire alarm. The pan is still smoking inside the oven. The outside had a crust, sure, but it tastes burnt instead of crispy and beefy. I think I'm done trying to play Ace Chef for a long while.

The worst part is that even though I chickened out and took the steak off early, it still managed to get overcooked on the inside. :sigh:

I haven't read his method but you should only have a small amount of oil in a pan for a steak. also spoons don't really have a place in steak cookery. and yeah you can't really cook a steak indoors without a vent hood that way.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Did you pat the steak dry before dropping it in

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Pollyanna posted:

Here's what I do:

Rub the steak with oil. Use a small amount of cooking spray rather than pouring a liquid fat in the pan to prevent sticking. This will prevent pooling and spatters. Flip VERY often to prevent sticking.

My final tip would be to do this outside if possible. I am lucky that my grill has a side burner I can use. I've done it inside before and the angry reaction I got from my wife dissuaded me from doing that again.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Some more Detroit dining trip reports:

Redsmoke Barbeque has good brisket mac and cheese. Pricy, though, for the amount of brisket they give.

Firebird Tavern does an excellent smashburger. Their poutine fries were good, too. I also had a really nice IPA with the ridiculous name of Greenbush Starchicken Shotgun.

Jolly Pumpkin makes an excellent sour IPA. I love sour things but have never warmed up to a sour beer until I tried this one. The bartenders also comped half our drinks because we fed them answers for their trivia game.

Pegasus Taverna was mediocre. The gyro meat was decent but their pita was hard as a rock.

El Guapo taco truck does a kickass korean beef burrito.

Mike's Kabob Grill had an okay but smallish kabob platter but they lost my order somehow, and I ended up waiting almost half an hour for a takeout order. It's not like I called it in, either, I ordered it right at the counter.

Wahlburgers is pretty tasty.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

GrAviTy84 posted:

yes phd

Research was out of Brookhaven National Lab at their Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider (RHIC). We create a novel state of matter that "melts" nuclear matter like protons into their constituent quarks at high temperature (high energy density, if you wanna readmore google phrases like "Quark Gluon Plasma"). The melted matter behaves like a fluid and measurement of that fluid one of the big things we do. Fluids flow, and the shape of the flow is dependent on the geometry of the initial conditions, how dependent it is on that geometry is the measure of the anisotropy. d+Au is deuteron + gold collisions its just a comparison system to the symmetric Au+Au system and there was some nifty phenomenology that we didn't expect in this system and my analysis was a measurement of that phenomenon.

some links if you're really interested and wanna keep reading:
https://www.bnl.gov/rhic/default.asp

scientific american article: http://rhig.physics.yale.edu/Summer2014/sc%20am%20-%20zjac%20and%20riordan.pdf
the illustration on "elliptic flow" is basically the same thing as anisotropic flow

thanks! yeah. i cant wait to be making more than a grad student stipend. :/

turkeychat: I'm planning on svizzling mine in parts like the chefsteps guys do, leaning towards a dry brine with sichuan five spice. Deep fry to crisp.

edit: do we still say svizzle? tepid puddle? I'm woefully behind the times.

Holy gently caress again. That seems like pretty high-level stuff. Is quark gluon plasma the kind of thing that one has in a tokamak reactor? (I'm reaching here, as I am waaaaay out of my depth).

I believe that the fundamental building blocks of matter will never be found - we are at quarks now, then they'll discover what quarks are made of, then what those are made of, etc

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

therattle posted:

Holy gently caress again. That seems like pretty high-level stuff. Is quark gluon plasma the kind of thing that one has in a tokamak reactor? (I'm reaching here, as I am waaaaay out of my depth).

I believe that the fundamental building blocks of matter will never be found - we are at quarks now, then they'll discover what quarks are made of, then what those are made of, etc

Different kind of plasma in a tokamak, I'm not super familiar with fusion stuff but I wouldn't mind working on it if the opportunity came. At the moment we dont have any evidence that there's something more fundamental than particles, though i think super symmetry and ultimately string theory could be a really cool discovery. Oddly enough, the only real world observable that string theory has predicted has been discovered in heavy ion collisions. So called "anti desitter/conformal field theory" or AdS/CFT correspondence, but its not a direct observation of strings, just a phenomenon from the math, specifically the viscosity of the QGP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

GrAviTy84 posted:

Different kind of plasma in a tokamak, I'm not super familiar with fusion stuff but I wouldn't mind working on it if the opportunity came. At the moment we dont have any evidence that there's something more fundamental than particles, though i think super symmetry and ultimately string theory could be a really cool discovery. Oddly enough, the only real world observable that string theory has predicted has been discovered in heavy ion collisions. So called "anti desitter/conformal field theory" or AdS/CFT correspondence, but its not a direct observation of strings, just a phenomenon from the math, specifically the viscosity of the QGP.
I like to imagine that if we are indeed living in a simulation, out there somewhere there's an intelligent being having to constantly adapt and make up all these new modules to model new things as we dig deeper, and the more we keep looking into things the more they go: "gently caress this, yeah, quantum physics, it's there, it's not there, it's a wave, it's a particle, it's a string, it's a vibration, gently caress you".