Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

My Uber driver is listening to some right wing radio. Even they're tired of emails and saying Trump doesn't have to prosecute her.

But emails are still important

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

BarbarianElephant posted:

And take it with him :)

I'd watch the poo poo out of an Obama/Biden road trip to Vegas buddy comedy.

^^ Complaining she might have leaked classified info isn't a great tactic when Trump has literally already been doing that.

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Nov 22, 2016

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

icantfindaname posted:

He can put Garland on the SC as a recess appointment, and if he doesn't you should absolutely be furious at him. He should mint that trillion dollar coin while he's at it by the way

And the senate is hosting "pro forma" sessions to prevent this.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Lightning Knight posted:

Aren't recess appointments temporary?

The Senate would have to wait a year to get rid of him, he'd be on until December next year

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
An article on Trump and TPP

http://money.cnn.com/2016/11/22/news/economy/trump-tpp-free-trade-dead/index.html

The US is so hosed in the future.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Lightning Knight posted:

Well, yes. Another thing to keep in mind is that the primary motivation for the Nazis above all else, before economics or racial hatred, was revanchism. They were going to fight wars of glorious conquest and avenge lost German honor and they were gonna do it on over the corpses of minorities while reshaping society for the forever war they wanted.

Germany craved revanchism in part because they were not the dominant power. We are. Most Americans aren't interested in war. Now, will there be war? Probably. But they aren't going to be able to swing another Iraq, in terms of public support, without something on the scale of 9/11 happening. The nationalist bloodthirst just isn't there. Most Trump supporters preferred isolationism.

What will all this amount to? I dunno. But if we accept the simplistic framing of "history repeats" then the outcome is already predetermined, and really, really bad for us. Variables offer hope.

I hear you but do you want to come with me down the rabbit hole of total paranoia? Most agree this country is one serious attack away from poo poo really hitting the fan, civil liberties wise. Will we have a grander Reichstag Fire to set such a sequence of events off? Time will tell.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

iospace posted:

And the senate is hosting "pro forma" sessions to prevent this.

https://newrepublic.com/article/138787/obama-can-put-merrick-garland-supreme-court

quote:

But even the Court’s most conservative members acknowledged that a president can make recess appointments during “inter-session” recesses—such as the break between the first and second year of a Congress, or the break between outgoing or incoming Congresses. There simply has to be an end point there, as a metaphysical matter. Theodore Roosevelt once used a short inter-session recess to make hundreds of appointments.

He could still do it even with the pro forma sessions. The new Senate comes in a few weeks before Trump does IIRC, Obama's still in office then

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

VH4Ever posted:

I hear you but do you want to come with me down the rabbit hole of total paranoia? Most agree this country is one serious attack away from poo poo really hitting the fan, civil liberties wise. Will we have a grander Reichstag Fire to set such a sequence of events off? Time will tell.
One of the many garish buildings with Trump's name on it in huge letters will get attacked and it'll be his causus belli.

override367
Apr 29, 2013

icantfindaname posted:

https://newrepublic.com/article/138787/obama-can-put-merrick-garland-supreme-court

He could still do it even with the pro forma sessions. The new Senate comes in a few weeks before Trump does IIRC, Obama's still in office then

Obama won't do anything rash, because he's the ultimate third wayer, he legitimately wants to give Trump a chance.

We have nothing to lose and he's still going to disappoint us.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

VH4Ever posted:

I rather doubt that there will be a terrorist attack on the level of 9/11 again in the near time. OKC maybe, but not 9/11. Unless you want to go down into Tom Clancy fantasyland it's easier to work with what is presently plausible than worry about hypothetical false flags or ISIS superbombers or whatever.

Boon posted:

An article on Trump and TPP

http://money.cnn.com/2016/11/22/news/economy/trump-tpp-free-trade-dead/index.html

The US is so hosed in the future.

This is an educational example of why the progressive left thumbing its nose at international trade deals will come back to bite us. China will negotiate those trade deals in our absence, without any regard for environmental or labor considerations, and accelerate our economic problems. You can't control an international force you don't participate in.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

override367 posted:

Obama won't do anything rash, because he's the ultimate third wayer

We literally have nothing to lose and he's still going to disappoint us

That's really going to be Obama's greatest historical failing, aside from the expansion of the surveillance state and the extrajudicial drone killings of citizens abroad (how's THAT for re-calibrating our outlook??). He's painted as a radical by the opposition for political convenience but the reality is he was a milquetoast pragmatist at a time where, it turns out, we needed bold and decisive action. We needed a benevolent liberal with the "give no damns" attitude of a GWB invading Iraq, except that he pushes single payer healthcare and national marijuana legalization, etc. Too bad.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Obama's tragic flaw was actually believing in the basic decency of the American public and political system

override367
Apr 29, 2013

VH4Ever posted:

That's really going to be Obama's greatest historical failing, aside from the expansion of the surveillance state and the extrajudicial drone killings of citizens abroad (how's THAT for re-calibrating our outlook??). He's painted as a radical by the opposition for political convenience but the reality is he was a milquetoast pragmatist at a time where, it turns out, we needed bold and decisive action. We needed a benevolent liberal with the "give no damns" attitude of a GWB invading Iraq, except that he pushes single payer healthcare and national marijuana legalization, etc. Too bad.

Obama was reported as being someone who subverted the rule of law and allowed hordes of mexicans into the country, and yet he deported millions and cracked down on dispensaries left and right, and oversaw a huge expansion of military police forces, the surveillance state, and the unaccountable drone war.

The only conclusions I can draw is that he's stupid (which seems unlikely), or that he's actually pretty drat conservative.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Oracle posted:

If you have Amazon Prime I believe there's a special on the Washington Post subscription going on right now.

Yep! Six month free trial and then $3.99 a month after that. Click on Prime in the main Amazon menu and then Benefits to see it. Heck, I thought it was a lot more than $3.99 a month and they deserve at least that. I'm going to signup.

Edit: Dang, it says the $3.99 monthly price in the future is only for Prime members and is 60% off. So it is a great deal.

override367
Apr 29, 2013

icantfindaname posted:

Obama's tragic flaw was actually believing in the basic decency of the American public and political system

This too, I think he actually still thinks Trump's going to try to do what's best for America and that the GOP will drop the act now that he's gone and do what's right

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

override367 posted:

The only conclusions I can draw is that he's stupid (which seems unlikely), or that he's actually pretty drat conservative.

We unfortunately seem to live in this fantasy version of America where being conservative isn't a requirement to get elected. Progressive policy may poll well in a vacuum but nobody actually likes being associated with it in practice who's over 35. Propaganda is a powerful force.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Lightning Knight posted:

We unfortunately seem to live in this fantasy version of America where being conservative isn't a requirement to get elected. Progressive policy may poll well in a vacuum but nobody actually likes being associated with it in practice who's over 35. Propaganda is a powerful force.

This is why Step 1 of the Struggle To Topple Trump starts with motivating people under 35 to actually get out and vote. They did not this cycle, and were content to let Hillary lose. Now we must put the fear of God in them to turn up in 2020 and vote against this poo poo. They poll at 60% liberal or Progressive so the future is very interesting indeed, if we don't all get nuked by then that is.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

VH4Ever posted:

This is why Step 1 of the Struggle To Topple Trump starts with motivating people under 35 to actually get out and vote. They did not this cycle, and were content to let Hillary lose. Now we must put the fear of God in them to turn up in 2020 and vote against this poo poo. They poll at 60% liberal or Progressive so the future is very interesting indeed, if we don't all get nuked by then that is.

As a part of said demographic, good loving luck. The "both sides are the same" narrative is strong with young people, and not just young white people (though I hear it more commonly and strongly from young white people). It's always funny because you realize that both sidesism and "why bother voting when it doesn't matter?" is pushed on young people by old assholes who probably vote straight R in every single election, too.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

VH4Ever posted:

It's why both parts of the left need to dispense of the purity tests. The "right" left needs to dispense of the idea that progressive populism doesn't work, and the "left" left needs to dispense of the idea that a candidate has to meet 100% of their views in order to be supported.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Combed Thunderclap posted:

I'm just imagining Trump, every single week, calling random media institutions in to yell at them off-the-record and they just mutely sit there and take it for no apparent reason other than the promise of ACCESS (which is never ever granted), and then wandering back to write up quotes from Kellyanne Conway about how awesome the meeting went and how busy Trump is without any kind of commentary.

The really funny thing is the NYT being super surprised by this after yesterday's meeting. The man hasn't held a press conference since July and you really thought he was going to do an on-the-record interview with you (and let's not forget how you raked Hillary over the coals for that poo poo).

They really have no idea how to report on a literal authoritarian who literally insults them to their face and that's terrifying.
Remember when they wouldn't stop badgering Hillary about her not having press conferences? Yeah.

sumie
Mar 29, 2006
GUERNSEY (adj.)

Queasy but umbowed. The kind of feeling one gets when discovering a
plastic compartment in a fridge in which thing are growing.

Lightning Knight posted:

I rather doubt that there will be a terrorist attack on the level of 9/11 again in the near time. OKC maybe, but not 9/11. Unless you want to go down into Tom Clancy fantasyland it's easier to work with what is presently plausible than worry about hypothetical false flags or ISIS superbombers or whatever.

This is an educational example of why the progressive left thumbing its nose at international trade deals will come back to bite us. China will negotiate those trade deals in our absence, without any regard for environmental or labor considerations, and accelerate our economic problems. You can't control an international force you don't participate in.

To be fair to China, in recent times they've shown to be a little bit more interested in environmental regulations than US, though that's not saying much is it

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

iospace posted:

It's why both parts of the left need to dispense of the purity tests. The "right" left needs to dispense of the idea that progressive populism doesn't work, and the "left" left needs to dispense of the idea that a candidate has to meet 100% of their views in order to be supported.

Huh, i remember saying this months ago and was met with a wall of "gently caress off, we dont need you, iron abuela has got this :black101:" . While i fully expect this trend to continue, its nice to see some hindsight being deployed. We just need to get the forsight generator going and the left can start rebuilding the shattered remains of the country.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Nov 22, 2016

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Huh, i remember saying this months ago and was met with a wall of "gently caress off, we dont need you, iron abuela has got this :black101:".

We still don't need people who will self-describe as white supremacists, hth

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Lightning Knight posted:

As a part of said demographic, good loving luck. The "both sides are the same" narrative is strong with young people, and not just young white people (though I hear it more commonly and strongly from young white people). It's always funny because you realize that both sidesism and "why bother voting when it doesn't matter?" is pushed on young people by old assholes who probably vote straight R in every single election, too.

With the coming outrage against Trump this may be our best shot. And I'm 34, almost 35 myself so I know what we're up against. I also know it's a fight worth fighting.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

FlamingLiberal posted:

Remember when they wouldn't stop badgering Hillary about her not having press conferences? Yeah.

The article straight up says that Trump didn't see the need for a press pool. This is going to be the least transparent administration as possible.

I made a comment to a friend last night that it wouldn't surprise me if Trump had a "president reality show" produced by the white house and put on...the Trump TV channel he conveniently created before the results of the election that will be put in a blind trust...that will probably be run by his media magnate son-in-law Kushner. Imagine a highly edited "reality" TV series, run by the state, that would be able to shape public opinion in the time it takes to edit an hour's worth of content. He already does this with his twitter and it's clear that facts don't matter, so...

:tinfoil:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Please let this reach the Supreme Court before Trump can get a nominee confirmed, please please please

Federal judges panel finds state redistricting plan an 'unconstitutional gerrymander'

quote:

A panel of federal judges on Monday ruled that Wisconsin’s 2011 legislative redistricting plan, created by Republican leaders virtually in secret, is an unconstitutional partisan gerrymander.

The map “was intended to burden the representational rights of Democratic voters … by impeding their ability to translate their votes into legislative seats,” wrote federal appeals court Judge Kenneth Ripple, the senior judge on the three-judge panel, adding that “the discriminatory effect is not explained by the political geography of Wisconsin nor is it justified by a legitimate state interest.

“Consequently, Act 43 constitutes an unconstitutional political gerrymander,” Ripple wrote.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I can't even comprehend how anyone right now could think both sides are the same

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Lightning Knight posted:

We still don't need people who will self-describe as white supremacists, hth

Hurl your insults, i dont mind. But judging by 2014, 2016 and likely outcome of the 2020 elections, If you ever want to see a reasonable progressive tax bracket, environmental reforms or a union again you need all the allies you can get. But its not about individual me or individual you, this same scene is playing out on a national scale and needs to stop.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Nov 22, 2016

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

theblackw0lf posted:

I can't even comprehend how anyone right now could think both sides are the same

I would hope most who do aren't old enough to remember the 2000 election or any of the Bush administration, otherwise who knows.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

theblackw0lf posted:

You underestimate just how unplugged a large number of people are from politics.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

theblackw0lf posted:

Your average person who isn't formally leftist overstates how bad Democrats are and understates how bad Republicans are, basically. Normal people don't want to follow or engage with politics long term, they want to show up for one election and elect The Good Guys (tm) who will fix everything in six months and then never hear about it again.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

theblackw0lf posted:

From the point of young people, they often don't clearly understand what the difference between the two sides are, especially since most people grow up in a bubble where most adults will be strong partisans for one side or the other. So if you are growing up listening to people who are convinced that Democrats are Satan but you observe that nothing much changes in your household when Democrats are in power, you are going to get the cynical opinion that grown-ups are making a fuss about nothing and politics are basically a sports game, where you support the Cubs because you always have, but nothing is any different whether the Cubs win or lose.

Lightning Knight posted:

The Good Guys (tm) who will fix everything in six months and then never hear about it again.

"And then they lived happily ever after"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
politics is annoying because people are compelled to have an opinion about it no matter how little they care. it's like if the super bowl determined the fate of the nation every year and so even people who couldn't give a poo poo had to have an opinion about sports. many people have the fortitude to just say "i dont know or care" but if you're worried about how you look to others (young people) and you don't want to choose badly but also don't want to not have a position the easy default is to say that everyone is bad, equally, and you are very clever and edgy for noticing this

override367
Apr 29, 2013

VH4Ever posted:

Putting "the fear of god into them" is why we lost this thing

How about we give them something to vote for instead of cold pragmatism and "well things are hard to change!"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

override367 posted:

How about we give them something to vote for instead of cold pragmatism and "well things are hard to change!"

so, lie to them

yeah that will work out well. young people love being lied to

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

override367 posted:

We did, in 2008. The progressive left consensus seems to be that it was an unmitigated disaster.

Even if we did elect Jesus Christ, D-CA, himself on a platform of "be nice to people, yo" he'd still lose his legislative majority in the mid terms when everyone stays home because "he didn't fix the problems yet guys I'm mad." Government is hard even for leftists because it by design is a system that isn't meant to let people snap their fingers and affect great change overnight.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

boner confessor posted:

so, lie to them

People who do not, or do not want to understand the broad issues of the most powerful, connected, and advanced country in the world, what that means to them, the impact that they have, and what responsibility that entails deserve to be flatly and boldly lied to, yes.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Fahrenthold's gonna get some polonium tea isn't he?

https://twitter.com/fahrenthold/status/801072249382039552

https://twitter.com/fahrenthold/status/801085123810574336

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

boner confessor posted:

so, lie to them

Well they sure liked Bernie a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

override367 posted:

Obama won't do anything rash, because he's the ultimate third wayer, he legitimately wants to give Trump a chance.
And it's not like Trump won't blame Obama (along with Democrats) for his first-term failings in his next campaign.

• Locked thread