Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Inspector_666 posted:

What closer would you have rather gotten? You traded a lesser prospect for Montgomery, and look at what Cleveland gave up for Miller in terms of setting the market.

The entire Cubs infield is under long term control with Happ breathing down their necks. Even if the Cubs hadn't won the series (still feels weird to type that) it's not like it's a flawed thought process. If you have holes in the roster that's what prospects are for, one way or another and if the decision was Schwarber or 19 year old A Ball guy you're generally going to give up the asset that hasn't shown the ability to play in the majors. By all accounts Cashman wasn't so much as negotiating but giving his price list and there wasn't anything else of that caliber for sale. From the sounds of it the Cubs had known for 4-5 days already that Rondon was hurting so something needed to be done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

GoatSeeGuy posted:

The entire Cubs infield is under long term control with Happ breathing down their necks. Even if the Cubs hadn't won the series (still feels weird to type that) it's not like it's a flawed thought process. If you have holes in the roster that's what prospects are for, one way or another and if the decision was Schwarber or 19 year old A Ball guy you're generally going to give up the asset that hasn't shown the ability to play in the majors. By all accounts Cashman wasn't so much as negotiating but giving his price list and there wasn't anything else of that caliber for sale. From the sounds of it the Cubs had known for 4-5 days already that Rondon was hurting so something needed to be done.

I can understand second guessing the trade at the time (which to his credit he did). I can understand second guessing the trade if you lose the WS. I can understand second guessing it if the Cubs win through utter blowout and clearly don't need Chapman. But we're talking a razor thin series where the Cubs were on the verge of elimination and Chapman played a huge role in staving that off. The Cubs won the WS and Chapman contributed a lot to it. Saying "Well someone else could probably have done the same thing" is just so mind boggling to me

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I understand Torres is a great prospect but what are the odds he develops into a ML All-Star? 20%? A Ball is a long ways from the Majors.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Niwrad posted:

I understand Torres is a great prospect but what are the odds he develops into a ML All-Star? 20%? A Ball is a long ways from the Majors.

I mean, the odds of a teenager in A ball reaching All-Star level production are really, really low. probably around 10% or so. if Torres ends up playing decent defense at SS and hits like .260/.310/.440 he'll be a 10 year starter for the Yankees.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Niwrad posted:

And again even if he does it doesn't matter because trading him literally got the Cubs one of the key pieces in their WS win.

I cannot honestly believe there are people who'd argue about the Chapman trade after it won the Cubs the goddamn world series.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I want to point out the Gleyber Torres had a .775 in A ball this year with 478 ABs which is a much bigger sample size than the Arizona Fall League, still impressive but not absurd. He's still a top prospect, but yeah it's a real long ways to go. Javier Baez was a top 5 prospect at the AAA level and he had a lot of trouble making the transition to the majors.

Also any trade for Miller or another reliever may have ended with Schwarber being gone and look how much he contributed to the WS games. Anything different and the Cubs could have easily lost.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I would sell the Astros entire farm for nothing but rentals and watch the team go back into the basement for a decade if it meant a single WS win and also that Donald Trump had lost

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete posted:

In other Azfl news, Tebow hit under .200 and is being called a disaster. lol, Mets.

EDIT: .194/.296/.242 I wonder how many of his 8 BB where HBP by minor league guys pissed that the Mets gave him $100k.

Tim Tebow and Rougned Odor had the same OBP in 2016

Also without Chapman, the Cubs would've lost the WS in 5 games, so I'm okay with dumping a position-blocked prospect for the first title in over a century.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

Pancakes posted:

All hail Carson Kelly, heir apparent to Yadi.

yeah but he would probably be better off in the minors instead of getting 5 abs a month in the bigs

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Popete posted:

I want to point out the Gleyber Torres had a .775 in A ball this year with 478 ABs which is a much bigger sample size than the Arizona Fall League, still impressive but not absurd. He's still a top prospect, but yeah it's a real long ways to go. Javier Baez was a top 5 prospect at the AAA level and he had a lot of trouble making the transition to the majors.

Also any trade for Miller or another reliever may have ended with Schwarber being gone and look how much he contributed to the WS games. Anything different and the Cubs could have easily lost.

Just looked it up and Felix Pie had a .799 OPS in around the same number of at-bats in high A ball at age 19. Corey Patterson had a .949 OPS in A ball also at age 19.

I actually wonder if Patterson would have been good if they didn't rush him up to the majors like a bunch of bafoons.

Niwrad fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Nov 22, 2016

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Intruder posted:

I would sell the Astros entire farm for nothing but rentals and watch the team go back into the basement for a decade if it meant a single WS win and also that Donald Trump had lost

I will never understand how anyone could prefer their team winning one incredibly specific configuration of 11-12 games over many years of watching them win 80s to 90s of games, but I actually like baseball so

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

TheChaosPath posted:

I will never understand how anyone could prefer their team winning one incredibly specific configuration of 11-12 games over many years of watching them win 80s to 90s of games, but I actually like baseball so

the playoffs, just an incredibly specific configuration of games and nothing more

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

TheChaosPath posted:

Cards fan spotted.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

TheChaosPath posted:

nobody remembers the 116 win Mariners! the 73-9 Warriors are an internet meme from now until the heat death of the universe. people remember the titles, friend

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
It's really hard to believe that the expansion team Cubs won the World Series in their first year.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

flags fly forever you goofuses, see y'all in 2124

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

IcePhoenix posted:

I wonder if his team would do this as a sort of "gently caress you" to him then since they're going to get the same amount no matter when they post him?

Been reading the Japanese blog posts about him today…

English wiki says:

When he was being drafted, he was expected and said he would not sign with the Japanese team that drafted him and and go MLB as a teen.

From the Japanese wiki :

After 4 meetings with Nippon Ham and presenting 30 page slide show entitled "Otani Shoei's Road to a Dream: Japan Sports Youth Devlopment" He elected to sign with a Japanese team before jumping to the MLB

Here it is in Japanese

It mostly points out how poorly Korean youth have done jumping direct to the MLB, and how much being a Minor leaguer sucks, e.g. pay, no perks, stress and language barrer, and years of team control.

The last half is about how great Japanese sports are. And how much Japan supports its youth sports.

A Japanese blog also speculated with no proof that there were clauses in the contract that had to let him be posted when he wanted. I can find no more info and the link the blog has is dead.

If there is interest I can translate the 30 page power point?

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
I would definitely be interested in the translation and I'm sure others on SAS would agree with me . It might even spawn a few new SAS memes

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i just remembered HERE COMES THE PEETZUR and watched it 800 times
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufSQMXLO95w

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

TheChaosPath posted:

Someone please tell me what flags do

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

I would definitely be interested in the translation and I'm sure others on SAS would agree with me . It might even spawn a few new SAS memes

I will get on it. The web site says it is ommitting irrelevant pages to the public. I would guess that would be money years and what not. 26 pages of 30 are publicly available.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

This is loving horrible, and I hope all the offenders are released & blacklisted.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

R.D. Mangles posted:

I love Jerry Remy, he just always seems to be having so much fun at the ball park.

When I'm really jonesing for baseball in the spring I like to tune into Red Sox spring training games.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

I was at that game. I went to college in Boston and it was Patriot's Day, so there were no classes. I didn't even know about the whole pizza thing until I got home and read the forums.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Guys you know a title is nice but what I'm really pining for is being the Pittsburgh Pirates of the last half decade.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

R.D. Mangles posted:

This is one of the best clips in baseball and I love it getting linked here.

Also enjoy the boob grab https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wys_JmrK5e4

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Gleybar Torres is like 4 years away from the majors and only looks ok right now in A+ ball.

If you're a Cubs fan and you're mad about that trade I feel pretty safe calling you a complete idiot.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Niwrad posted:

Just looked it up and Felix Pie had a .799 OPS in around the same number of at-bats in high A ball at age 19. Corey Patterson had a .949 OPS in A ball also at age 19.

I actually wonder if Patterson would have been good if they didn't rush him up to the majors like a bunch of bafoons.

You guys are right, Torres would have been blocked and our IF is locked up for several years. I was in a pissy mood (work SUUUUUUUUUUUCKS this time of year). It just sucks that it was for a rental, the Yankees made out like goddamn bandits, and they're going to get all those guys essentially for free because Chapman is going back there anyway.

I think the Patterson thing was equal parts being rushed and not getting regular playing time upon being called up. Don Baylor used him sparingly when he was first called up and that didn't help, either.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The Cubs literally won a world series, what is wrong with you.

Torres has like a 15% chance, tops, at being a serviceable MLB player and you won the first goddamn world series in 108 years.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Nov 22, 2016

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bad boy in the boy band posted:

It just sucks that it was for a rental, the Yankees made out like goddamn bandits, and they're going to get all those guys essentially for free because Chapman is going back there anyway.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Counterpoint:

https://twitter.com/AChapman_105/status/794572365149638656

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Then you should be happy he was only a rental!

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

bad boy in the boy band posted:

You guys are right, Torres would have been blocked and our IF is locked up for several years. I was in a pissy mood (work SUUUUUUUUUUUCKS this time of year). It just sucks that it was for a rental, the Yankees made out like goddamn bandits, and they're going to get all those guys essentially for free because Chapman is going back there anyway.

The goal of a major league baseball team is to win the World Series not to "win" trades and its not like the Cubs aren't totally stacked with young talent on affordable contracts with years and years of team control.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Inspector_666 posted:

Then you should be happy he was only a rental!

I know I am!

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

B-b-b-b-but Torres could have helped the team conted!!!!*

*in the year 2021

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Scob posted:

cards released brayan pena, what a great back up for yadi he was and will be missed

lol how many PAs did he get for the Cards, like 30?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Intruder posted:

Someone please tell me what flags do

IIRC: Fly Forever

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Mike_V posted:

14 PA's and he caught 19 innings.

Carson Kelly definitely needs to be down in Triple A getting playing time until Yadi is ready to give up 50% of his playing time which will be never.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Mike_V posted:

13. 2 hits. An OPS+ of 20. For which he was paid $2.5M. Sigh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Pancakes posted:

13. 2 hits. An OPS+ of 20. For which he was paid $2.5M. Sigh.

Pretty sure it's basically $5m because it was 2/5 and the Cards still owe him that don't they? :lol:

• Locked thread