Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I have an rpi 3 lyin around, does anyone have an good retro styled case (either physical or an STL file) that they'd recommend if I ever got around to making it a faux nes classic.

http://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=raspberry+pi+retro&sa= maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Elliotw2 posted:

This is actually a pretty common myth, the Sega CD will happily output stereo sound without using the headphone jack routed to the SCD UNLESS you want to use the RCA ports on the back of your Sega CD for convenience or something. It's much easier to use your existing 3.5mm to stereo RCA adapter (you are using one right?) without loving with patch cables or whatever.

Obviously if you're using Mono, then it'll also output that fine via RF or composite.
It's not a myth that the Genesis model 1 av jack doesn't have stereo out, it just doesn't.

But sure the Sega CD has stereo RCA out if you have it attached to a model 1.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I'm saying you don't need to run any cables to have the Sega CD do Stereo audio outside of your normal setup. The patch/mixing cable is not actually useful.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I believe one of the main reasons the mixing cable was used was so you could get CD audio out of the Sega CD without going through the Genesis amp. That, and you can control the volume of the Genesis side.

Otherwise, yeah, it's not strictly necessary.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Sega put eleven Technosoft PSX games on JP PSN today - Thunder Force V PS and a bunch of crap you've probably never heard of: http://www.famitsu.com/news/201611/22121207.html

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Elliotw2 posted:

I'm saying you don't need to run any cables to have the Sega CD do Stereo audio outside of your normal setup. The patch/mixing cable is not actually useful.
I mean, it is, but for a very specific niche use that almost nobody will actually have: you can use the volume slider to control the YM2612/PSG volume while the CD audio stays put, in case you want just the CD audio, for reasons.

Or, so I'd heard, anyway; I haven't tried hooking up an auxiliary 2.5mm cable to try this with my HDG Model 1 Genesis/Model 2 Sega CD combo.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Sega put eleven Technosoft PSX games on JP PSN today - Thunder Force V PS and a bunch of crap you've probably never heard of: http://www.famitsu.com/news/201611/22121207.html

Where's Nekketsu Oyako? Booo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCWj8KF22OQ

But really, Thunder Force V is pretty good.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Killingyouguy! posted:

I grew up with my sisters copy of the NES port of Marble Madness, and due to some unfortunate circumstances it was lost. When I was old enough to have my own pocket cash, I bought a GBA cart of Klax & Marble Madness and was thankful to finally have the game again. (I didn't know about emulators yet, and even if I did I would have been too good a kid to !!!break the law!!!)

Imagine my extreme joy at beating the third level of marble madness to be politely told 'game over' and sent to the title screen.

They ripped out the second half of the game. I can't imagine for storage constraints? The drat thing fit on an nes cart.

The Genesis port of Marble Madness has some... special sounding music https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g46qhEjGs&index=5&list=PLFSHdeZ6gP02vqagBwcVstrjMKA7Fv6aZ

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
]

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Booourns posted:

The Genesis port of Marble Madness has some... special sounding music https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g46qhEjGs&index=5&list=PLFSHdeZ6gP02vqagBwcVstrjMKA7Fv6aZ

That sounds reasonably similar to the arcade music (around 3:50 in the clip below) though not as good. The Genesis actually has a very similar sound chip (Yamaha YM2612) to the arcade Marble Madness (YM2151). They are both FM synths and more or less preset-compatible, the main difference is that the YM2151 has two extra voices (8 simultaneous sounds compared to 6 on the YM2612). Also FM sound design is inherently pretty difficult -- the Genesis probably could have sounded a little better, but EA only had so many resources to put into a low-effort arcade port.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0g2eQeA15-s

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
Does anyone have any recommendations for cheap Super Famicom games? My friend is in Japan and said he would pick something up for me.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

how'd you get firefox looking like it did 5 years ago

wtf is even going on in that screenshot, geocities has been gone forever, the firefox is from like 2012 but ublock origin is nowhere near that old and thats a windows 10 titlebar

d0s fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Nov 22, 2016

lo carb Lo Pan
Oct 8, 2004

d0s posted:

wtf is even going on in that screenshot, geocities has been gone forever, the firefox is from like 2012 but ublock origin is nowhere near that old and thats a windows 10 titlebar

Reminds me of this when I decide to look for parts for my Atari PC.

Some sites have somehow not changed since 1994.

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com

Retro computer sites and dive shops have the worst site designs possible.

No idea how that one is loading to Geocities, unless the screenshot was taken while the load attempt was made.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

lo carb Lo Pan posted:

No idea how that one is loading to Geocities, unless the screenshot was taken while the load attempt was made.

you can put whatever you want in the titlebar after a page has loaded and take a screenshot, or you can do something in your hosts file to make geocities.com resolve to that geocities archive

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
I have an NES that needed a new 72 pin connector. So I bought one, switched it out, the NES immediately worked on the first attempt to turn it on, but after that, it doesn't work. Any idea what could be wrong? It's just baffling because it's not like it continued to stop working. It actually worked and then just stopped working.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

This took me way too long to catch onto.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It had me at three part process

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
gently caress you half-press guy. Pressing down a button counts as a button press!

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

univbee posted:

This took me way too long to catch onto.

Excellent

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Improbable Lobster posted:

gently caress you half-press guy. Pressing down a button counts as a button press!

Yeah, "pressing" by definition is the action of moving the button inward! Why can't you just accept that you've done something really cool as it is instead of trying to redefine it to be something else?

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

Wizgot posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for cheap Super Famicom games? My friend is in Japan and said he would pick something up for me.

Are we talking exclusives or just anything that might be cheap?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Random Stranger posted:

Yeah, "pressing" by definition is the action of moving the button inward! Why can't you just accept that you've done something really cool as it is instead of trying to redefine it to be something else?

You know, it's just a notation for "if we only look at this particular star, it's one press, but if we look at a whole run, we can piggyback off of another press by holding A the entire time, so it doesn't add an extra press".

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

TheMcD posted:

You know, it's just a notation for "if we only look at this particular star, it's one press, but if we look at a whole run, we can piggyback off of another press by holding A the entire time, so it doesn't add an extra press".

You're still pressing the button though! He is physically pressing the button down! There are ways to note that are less dumb!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

d0s posted:

I had something installed that rewrites geocities links to reocities so that I don't have to manually change the url. Also I use a compact styled theme on this laptop because it's got a hella small screen.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

You're still pressing the button though! He is physically pressing the button down! There are ways to note that are less dumb!

But then we don't get reactions like this

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Can anyone recommend gaming shelves/bookcase? Ones that'll fit DVD cases to Sega Genesis clamshells. Everything I find on amazon looks really flimsy and I want something that will last and is moveable.

Edit: And if it has brackets to secure to the wall, they need to be at least 8 inches long. The dumbfucks who put in the baseboard heating didn't follow my directions and put it in the area I reserved for a bookcase, so I have to put it in front of it.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 22, 2016

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Fremry posted:

I have an NES that needed a new 72 pin connector. So I bought one, switched it out, the NES immediately worked on the first attempt to turn it on, but after that, it doesn't work. Any idea what could be wrong? It's just baffling because it's not like it continued to stop working. It actually worked and then just stopped working.

Maybe a short somewhere or a scraped trace on the board? Does everything look alright inside with no contacts/solder joints touching metal or one another?

edit:

Jimbot posted:

Can anyone recommend gaming shelves/bookcase? Ones that'll fit DVD cases to Sega Genesis clamshells. Everything I find on amazon looks really flimsy and I want something that will last and is moveable.

I've asked this a couple times and never got an answer, so would be interested if anyone has anyone too.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Well no, what he's actually doing is writing programs that play the emulator for him while it proceeds at warp speed so that all these bugs that take 1000 days of continuous play to occur can be observed. There ain't any physical buttons involved.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Jimbot posted:

Edit: And if it has brackets to secure to the wall, they need to be at least 8 inches long. The dumbfucks who put in the baseboard heating didn't follow my directions and put it in the area I reserved for a bookcase, so I have to put it in front of it.

Gnedby at Ikea?

Not sure on the securing apparatus, but Ikea recently had a product recall issue and will probably give you whatever you needed to secure to the wall for free if you asked.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Charles Get-Out posted:

Maybe a short somewhere or a scraped trace on the board? Does everything look alright inside with no contacts/solder joints touching metal or one another?

Not that I can see, and I'd assume if it was a short or a scraped trace, it wouldn't have worked at all, but it did, just briefly.

Charles Get-Out posted:

I've asked this a couple times and never got an answer, so would be interested if anyone has anyone too.

The Ikea Billy bookcases are what I have seen people use most often. Other than that, I'd say look at your local secondhand or antique stores. If you want something built nicely and to last, you either have to pay out the rear end or buy something that was made in the 70's or earlier.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
This is the shelf unit I got 4 years ago. Nothing special, but it's survived a few moves and has a lot of shelf pin holes to adjust each row's height finely enough. Main selling point was the height, gives you a lot of room to work with. I've got various carts, some in CustomGameCases, some Genesis CIB, as well as (3)DS, and PS1-4 (so CD, DVD, BD) in it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KW0BE2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I wish I could get the Ikea Billy. I was looking at that but the maximum height I can get is 76 inches because the wall it is going on is kind of awkward. Anyone have experience with the Ikea BRUSALI? I never bought furniture from them before.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I have two Vita TVs and my Shield TV which run emulators on like every TV in my house and yet I am currently looking at Raspberry Pi 3s on Amazon thanks to you people

Kind of want to move one of my Vita TVs to my projector and put the Pi on my old CRT TV, shame the Pi no longer has composite output but meh I have an HDMI to composite on there anyway

I see PSX and PSP emulation listed on RetroPie's site, but how well do they work? And DC emulation? If this thing can do PSP/PSX/DC at good framerates, I'll be impressed.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Code Jockey posted:

shame the Pi no longer has composite output

Actually it does, it's combined with the 3.5mm audio connector.

PSP is dependent on the game. Crisis Core played surprisingly (albeit at native resolution) but GTA Vice City Stories was unplayable. PS1 most games run "perfectly", some late-era games can have a bit of hitching but are still essentially playable. DC emulation don't bother, might have to wait for the next Pi or the one after.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

univbee posted:

Actually it does, it's combined with the 3.5mm audio connector.

Haha what really, that's awesome

quote:

PSP is dependent on the game. Crisis Core played surprisingly (albeit at native resolution) but GTA Vice City Stories was unplayable. PS1 most games run "perfectly", some late-era games can have a bit of hitching but are still essentially playable. DC emulation don't bother, might have to wait for the next Pi or the one after.

All this is fine, I'm mostly interested in PSX and earlier, if I really want DC and PSP my Shield can emulate both very well.

Thanks!

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

falz posted:

Re the Neo Geo forums suggestion from someone else: I regged there last night, logged in, browsed. This morning I got an email saying I didn't fit membership requirements and my account was deleted.

Dunno, regged again with same info, we'll see. Perhaps they have a bot spam issue and skills lacking to properly CAPTCHA.
Same thing happened again the next day, account deleted. What a friendly bunch!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

AcidRonin posted:

Anyone used a K101Revo Plus before? Found one for 89 bucks and seems like a nice backup to my SP since new ones are like 124 bucks.

I bought one recently and I really like it.

It plays all of the NES / GBC / GBA games I've thrown at it perfectly.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

falz posted:

Re the Neo Geo forums suggestion from someone else: I regged there last night, logged in, browsed. This morning I got an email saying I didn't fit membership requirements and my account was deleted.

did you say anything about registering specifically to use the market, or immediately start posting in the market? they really hate that and for good reason as people buy/sell high value stuff there and there have been lots of problems with scammers before.

edit: I think they go so far as to see what forums you immediately start browsing because they are super paranoid

edit2:

quote:

FAQ: You found your membership request was denied

If you're getting denied it is for one of the following reasons:

1. Your IP is one that is a known source of bad traffic or is an anonymous proxy.
2. Your email address is fake, looks "spammy" or is a one-time email address service
3. You've applied for multiple accounts because your first wasn't approved immediately. Only one gets approved.
4. If I check your IP and it says "IP CANNOT BE RESOLVED", your account is NOT going to be activated.
5. If You are using a PROXY IP You will NOT be allowed on the site.

At least one of the moderators is online 24 hours a day. If you need to reach one, you can email them directly or simply wait for your approval to come.

Rot's account approval email: neogeorot@gmail.com

d0s fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 22, 2016

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

d0s posted:

did you say anything about registering specifically to use the market, or immediately start posting in the market? they really hate that and for good reason as people buy/sell high value stuff there and there have been lots of problems with scammers before.

edit: I think they go so far as to see what forums you immediately start browsing because they are super paranoid

Is that a new thing? I had a zero post account for the longest time there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Is that a new thing? I had a zero post account for the longest time there.

I think it's by regdate, in the past couple years game prices have gone nuts and they try to keep prices reasonable in the market so they're not really interested in newer people coming in to take advantage of this unless they're also going to take part in regular discussions and actually be part of the community

• Locked thread