Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Ohfuck. It happened. Im hyped for FF15.
One more week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Attitude Indicator posted:

One more week

No! You fool! The fact that you're hyped about it now means it will only disappoint.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

One more week

Actually the real game was released 1000 years in the past and once you beat FFXV and it's four expansions you'll have to travel back in time to stop it forever.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Nina posted:

I've been playing FFVI while waiting for XV to come out and I'm actually starting to get really into it. I'm thinking of playing IX after this one too.

if you've never played it before, you definitely should. it's been my favourite ever since the first time I played it.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

morallyobjected posted:

if you've never played it before, you definitely should. it's been my favourite ever since the first time I played it.

This is really my first real dip into older FFs. I've heard good things about it so I'll definitely give it a chance

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

E: ff9 is good, so is ff6.

ImpAtom posted:

No! You fool! The fact that you're hyped about it now means it will only disappoint.

Aaaaaaa i kept my cool for 9 years and 51 weeks too

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Nina posted:

This is really my first real dip into older FFs. I've heard good things about it so I'll definitely give it a chance

Sorry if you've discussed this in the past but have you not played FFVII?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Nina posted:

I've been playing FFVI while waiting for XV to come out and I'm actually starting to get really into it. I'm thinking of playing IX after this one too.

I've been playing WoFF because my roommate bought it and I'm gonna plat it today or tomorrow, it was a good distraction (and I really hope we get a sequel). But now that I'm done...

One more week

I'm so ready :cheers:

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

NikkolasKing posted:

Sorry if you've discussed this in the past but have you not played FFVII?

I figured I might as well wait for the remake. It's the only one of the games I've been 100% spoiled on anyways

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Nina posted:

I figured I might as well wait for the remake. It's the only one of the games I've been 100% spoiled on anyways

Ff7 has so much bizzare poo poo i doubt youve been spoiled on all of it. Besides, theres a lot of misconceptions and debates still about several elements of the plot.
You should play it. Its the most interesting final fantasy imo. Also my favorite.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Nina posted:

I might as well wait for the remake.

:allears: That's like waiting to watch Game of Thrones until the books are done :allears:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Nina posted:

Yeah, you might have been spoiled on the broad story but people misremember poo poo about FF7 all of the time, to the point that even they are surprised when they revisit the game. So you'd probably be as well playing it since chances are that whoever spoiled it for you was wrong.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Ff7 has so much bizzare poo poo i doubt youve been spoiled on all of it. Besides, theres a lot of misconceptions and debates still about several elements of the plot.
You should play it. Its the most interesting final fantasy imo. Also my favorite.

Pretty much this. FFVII is something special and even though I don't doubt there's some nostalgia from it being my first FF game, I still feel it holds up. It is so very different from its fellow titles in so many ways.

I was recently discussing this matter with some fellow nerds. What exactly made FFVII such a phenomenon? Some people disputed its "uniqueness" or that it was markedly different from the previous titles. FFVI was cited as the first time the series really moved in a new direction, a direction mimicked by VII and VIII. Every character can do everything, no real Jobs, no longer set in a stereotypical medieval fantasy world...stuff like that.Now I've never finished VI but I've seen enough to understand its steampunk nature is very different from FFII or IV or whatever. Nevertheless, it seems to me there's a world of difference between some steampunk castles and VII which features pretty much modern-ish cities. Of course ,VII is a bit sketchy in this regard....I got the feeling it was going for a early 20th century vibe from the automobiles and stuff and I think podunk towns likeNibelheim having just one truck in them adds to that feeling. Yet they also have computers and televisions and other things.

I'm getting off-track, sorry. I love VII and I could talk about it forever. I just think there's nothing quite like experiencing it. I've played drat near every game in the FF series and VII is just something truly special.

I mean, just give it a shot, Nina. The opening part alone is amazing and might suck you in. Best opening in the entire series. IMO anyway. Absolutely perfect.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 22, 2016

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I honestly have to wonder how much better 7 is in the original Japanese, too. The translation hurts a lot. It's still a very memorable game, though. It gets a ton of points just for crazy weird ambition.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I might give it a shot somewhere down the line then. Might be a while though with all these other games in the pipeline and I don't want to fatigue myself on the series by playing only FF for months on end. Fortunately it's on Steam so eventually I can just play it in tandem with something else on consoles.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

FactsAreUseless posted:

I honestly have to wonder how much better 7 is in the original Japanese, too. The translation hurts a lot. It's still a very memorable game, though. It gets a ton of points just for crazy weird ambition.
Well, that one guy are not sick. So if nothing else, he is better in the original Japanese.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Nina posted:

I might give it a shot somewhere down the line then. Might be a while though with all these other games in the pipeline and I don't want to fatigue myself on the series by playing only FF for months on end. Fortunately it's on Steam so eventually I can just play it in tandem with something else on consoles.
It's extremely easy, so it honestly goes pretty fast.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
What's the japanese translation's version of "Let's mosey"

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

I honestly would have been fine with a retranslation of FF7 rather than a full remake.

How's that remake coming anyway? Haven't heard anything about it in over a year I think.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

FactsAreUseless posted:

Its probably filtered through weab ennui and every Final Fantasy being the worst but I remember it being described as slightly worse because without the mystique of the translation it came across as a mess. I forget if I am mixing it up with even more hearsay but I think the original JP was lacking (or it was bugged out?) the Cloud and Zach scene in the mansion library which leaves a giant plothole. And another major comparison I remember hearing through hearsay is that the Jenova reunion subplot was a lot more understandable which framed it as more of a follow the bad guy quest and less existential horror Cloud is going insane stuff like we get from the crazy translation in English.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

FF7 is one of those games where in the slice of time it appeared it blew minds. It's really hard to describe the what it was like to play that game in 1998 or 1999 to someone who is just getting around to playing it now. The context was just different.

I remember as a wee lad my babysitter would bring his PSX over and let me play it, and one of the games he had was FF7. This was really before the internet could really ruin things for everyone and I went into it completely blind. I remember popping it in and I was hooked immediately. The whole Midgar segment was stunning from start to finish. One twist after another. Wow ShinRa really dropped the plate on Sector 7! Who is Sephiroth and why does Cloud hate him? I was literally cheering at the FMV where Cloud rides that motorcycle down some stairs.

For me, no game could compare to FF7 for a long time.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

zedprime posted:

Its probably filtered through weab ennui and every Final Fantasy being the worst but I remember it being described as slightly worse because without the mystique of the translation it came across as a mess. I forget if I am mixing it up with even more hearsay but I think the original JP was lacking (or it was bugged out?) the Cloud and Zach scene in the mansion library which leaves a giant plothole. And another major comparison I remember hearing through hearsay is that the Jenova reunion subplot was a lot more understandable which framed it as more of a follow the bad guy quest and less existential horror Cloud is going insane stuff like we get from the crazy translation in English.

That doesn't sound right. The bad translation making the game more memorable than if it had been translated clean, at least. You are correct that the US version featured extra content that explained how Zack died and how Cloud got to Midgar. It did patch up that plothole. The existential crisis isn't a bizarre byproduct of the translation getting a simple straightforward story wrong and infusing it with complexity and mystique, however, it's what the story was originally about. What it did is make things confusing that weren't meant to be. Not without reason, mind you. Unfortunately, the article I got this info from no longer seems to exist, and that's a drat shame, but basically, FFVII was not enough translators working on a massive script with subpar tools and no editor. I mean, take this exchange, for example:

It's like, man, what the gently caress is even going on here? I never knew what the hell they were talking about until this part came up in Elentor's LP and a Japanese speaker came by to clarify that the dialogue was supposed to look more like this:

Cloud: I'm only doing this [crossdressing] to fool them [Corneo and his people], only reason, my hand to God.
Aeris: Sure, Cloud, whatever you have to tell yourself.

The translation didn't take something simple and made it deep, it took something complicated and made it needlessly confusing.

E: found it! http://www.wesleyfenlon.com/2012/04/15/gamespite-quarterly-interview-richard-honeywood-on-the-rise-of-square-localization/

Cape Cod Crab Chip fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 22, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

zedprime posted:

None of that is really accurate, no.

No, the translation is just bad. There's no 'mystique' there, it just makes poo poo incoherent that is more sensible in the original game.
The "Zack" thing is added to the US version but it's not really a plot hole. The original version just had people assume Zack died in Nibelheim instead of ater.
The Jenova stuff is more understandable but that doesn't change Cloud's own plotline which is entirely about his identity.

Like the Japanese version is genuinely straight-up better except for maybe the Zack thing which was re-added in the International Edition anyway so it's kind of meaningless. This isn't a 'weeb' thing, it's honestly just the fact that the translation is really bad.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Die Sexmonster! posted:

:allears: That's like waiting to watch Game of Thrones until the books are done :allears:

The books are done. :smuggo:

Because GRRM isn't actually writing that series any more, though he won't just come out and admit it.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

NikkolasKing posted:

some nostalgia from it being my first FF game

This is the main reason.

I'm not trying to minimise your attachment to the game, BTW -- just it often seems like FF fans tend to have the most profound attachment to the first one in the series they played. I think it's something to do with that first experience of a game that moved beyond 'use your gun to shoot the things' to an evolving story taking you from one crazy, amazing moment to the next. Particularly when you have that mind-expanding experience for the first time as a kid -- 'wow games can do this?!' -- it's going to stick with you forever, and the emotions tied to it at the time are so profound compared to other games that preceded or followed it that nothing else truly measures up.

For me it was FFIV -- I started off enjoying farting around with Cecil, jamming out to the amazing battle music. Then there were hovercrafts and airships and turning into a paladin and awesome boss fights and then 'HOLY poo poo WE'RE GOING TO THE MOON?!?!' I love that game to death, always will, and because I had that experience prior to FF7 my reaction was profoundly different to my best friend, who played FF7 as his first-ever JRPG and was blown away. I still think it's a great game but nowhere near the genre-defining masterpiece my friend thought it was.

Despite FF7 being lower on the list of my favourite FFs I still agree that every new FF fan should play it, though. It was so impactful and is referenced so much in the genre that everyone should give it a go, even if only to understand what everyone else is going on about.

quote:

I was recently discussing this matter with some fellow nerds. What exactly made FFVII such a phenomenon?

I think it's partly the above -- lots of first-timers getting blown away by it -- and partly the massive hype built up before the release. Squaresoft's 'betrayal' of Nintendo for Sony was a big loving deal, and at the time all the gaming mags were covering the game like crazy. Before it even came out most of my friends were convinced it was going to be the best game of all time.

Also, a major part of my friend's argument for FF7-as-best-game-ever was the infamous character death. He was adamant that no game had ever killed off a character in your party like that before, whereas I kept pointing out that in 4 there was a party member death, etc. My other friends too went on about how shocked they were when that happened in 7, so I feel like that event really helped the game stick in our collective minds.

quote:

I just think there's nothing quite like experiencing it.

Well, except for playing FFIV the first time, if you're me :v:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

One more week

I remember being hyped for FF13.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

thorsilver posted:

Also, a major part of my friend's argument for FF7-as-best-game-ever was the infamous character death. He was adamant that no game had ever killed off a character in your party like that before, whereas I kept pointing out that in 4 there was a party member death, etc. My other friends too went on about how shocked they were when that happened in 7, so I feel like that event really helped the game stick in our collective minds.

The thing about the "deaths" in 4 is that they are moved past very quickly. There is ultimately no long term effects of the deaths or lingering emotions, they just continue on with the story. The death in 7 had a big effect on the game and you had that character for a long time with a lot of character building beforehand. Plus it was done on more "realistic" graphics, it's much easier to feel the brevity of something like that when they aren't sprites I think. FF6 did the best job of evoking emotions with sprite characters IMO.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

thorsilver posted:

This is the main reason.

I'm not trying to minimise your attachment to the game, BTW -- just it often seems like FF fans tend to have the most profound attachment to the first one in the series they played.

it's true, i do love FFTA unreasonably well, but also it has bunny assassins so i know im right to

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Mega64 posted:

I remember being hyped for FF13.

Do you even own a current gen console?

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Fingers McLongDong posted:

The thing about the "deaths" in 4 is that they are moved past very quickly. There is ultimately no long term effects of the deaths or lingering emotions, they just continue on with the story. The death in 7 had a big effect on the game and you had that character for a long time with a lot of character building beforehand.

That's true, but to be fair FF4 was the first FF that even *had* characters instead of just blank slates, so IMO they did some pretty cool things with that the first time out.

quote:

Plus it was done on more "realistic" graphics, it's much easier to feel the brevity of something like that when they aren't sprites I think. FF6 did the best job of evoking emotions with sprite characters IMO.

Honestly that's just a question of taste, though, and again goes back to what you played first I think. For me the visuals of FF7 weren't to my tastes at all, and I found the sprites and tiles of FF4 more expressive and more visually coherent than the flat-shaded polygons over pre-rendered backdrops. I'm sure if I'd played FF7 first I'd have thought FF4 was archaic in comparison.

mandatory lesbian posted:

it's true, i do love FFTA unreasonably well, but also it has bunny assassins so i know im right to

I'm right there with you, FFTA was amazing. So was FFTA2. Why don't we get more FFT games anymore??

thorsilver fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 22, 2016

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

thorsilver posted:

This is the main reason.

I'm not trying to minimise your attachment to the game, BTW -- just it often seems like FF fans tend to have the most profound attachment to the first one in the series they played. I think it's something to do with that first experience of a game that moved beyond 'use your gun to shoot the things' to an evolving story taking you from one crazy, amazing moment to the next. Particularly when you have that mind-expanding experience for the first time as a kid -- 'wow games can do this?!' -- it's going to stick with you forever, and the emotions tied to it at the time are so profound compared to other games that preceded or followed it that nothing else truly measures up.

For me it was FFIV -- I started off enjoying farting around with Cecil, jamming out to the amazing battle music. Then there were hovercrafts and airships and turning into a paladin and awesome boss fights and then 'HOLY poo poo WE'RE GOING TO THE MOON?!?!' I love that game to death, always will, and because I had that experience prior to FF7 my reaction was profoundly different to my best friend, who played FF7 as his first-ever JRPG and was blown away. I still think it's a great game but nowhere near the genre-defining masterpiece my friend thought it was.

Despite FF7 being lower on the list of my favourite FFs I still agree that every new FF fan should play it, though. It was so impactful and is referenced so much in the genre that everyone should give it a go, even if only to understand what everyone else is going on about.

The ironic thing is that, while I was indeed absolutely awestruck by VII, I played VII and IX back-to-back and was absolutely convinced IX was in all ways superior. I used to get in dumb arguments about how underrated IX was and how all the VII fanboys should shut up and experience a real masterpiece in IX.

I still like IX but as the years have gone by, I've really come to love VII more and more while my feelings for IX have waned. I dunno why.

quote:

I would imagine Nina knows who we are talking about if they have indeed been spoiled on VII.

Even still, I guess I'll error on the side of caution and say the true impact of that character's death is how unexpected it was. I know I wasn't prepared for it, even though I didn't play FFVII until about 2002. The plot really does revolve around Aerith even after the death. And while this might seem like a minor thing, I myself always remember it. In the instruction manual that came with, under Character Profiles, Aerith comes right after Cloud. It just seemed like they were indisputably the co-lead of the game and thus also indispensable.

I feel kinda weird putting this stuff in spoiler tags. Snape kills Aerith.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

thorsilver posted:

I'm right there with you, FFTA was amazing. So was FFTA2. Why don't we get more FFT games anymore??

Did they sell poorly? I assume FFTA didn't since it got a sequel, but yeah it's been a long time since FFTA2 and not even a murmur about a crappy mobile FFTA3 or something. Give me more ivalice moogles.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

thorsilver posted:

That's true, but to be fair FF4 was the first FF that even *had* characters instead of just blank slates, so IMO they did some pretty cool things with that the first time out.

Nah, that was FF2. FF2 also was the first one with a bunch of character deaths.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

ImpAtom posted:

Goes to show you how much I remember about that game :v: You're right, of course.

Reinforces my point in a way -- that death in FF7 was far from the first in the series!

NikkolasKing posted:

The ironic thing is that, while I was indeed absolutely awestruck by VII, I played VII and IX back-to-back and was absolutely convinced IX was in all ways superior. I used to get in dumb arguments about how underrated IX was and how all the VII fanboys should shut up and experience a real masterpiece in IX.

I still like IX but as the years have gone by, I've really come to love VII more and more while my feelings for IX have waned. I dunno why.

You were right the first time IMO :)

Could it be that FF7 is a bit easier to replay, given the slow-rear end battles in FF9? I keep seeing complaints about that here, although I'm playing FF9 again at the moment on PSP and it doesn't really bother me. The Steam version eliminates that problem, which is cool and hopefully will encourage more people to go back and try it.

Countblanc posted:

Did they sell poorly? I assume FFTA didn't since it got a sequel, but yeah it's been a long time since FFTA2 and not even a murmur about a crappy mobile FFTA3 or something. Give me more ivalice moogles.

FFTA was a million-seller, and reviewed really strong at release. FFTA2 dropped down to 670k, apparently, despite the ridiculous install base of the DS, so maybe that's why they've given up?

I hope they give it another go, now that FF is back in a big way. We've got XV coming out soon, WoFF is already out and is really fun, tons of FFs getting released on Steam and iOS, etc. etc. Surely they could throw us a bone with another Tactics game?

Please not mobile job-gachas, though, I'd cry.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Countblanc posted:

Most of the staff behind the Ivalice Alliance games were press ganged into rebooting FFXIV with A Realm Reborn. For example, the director of FFTA2 became a UI designer for A Realm Reborn. Hiroshi Minagawa (FFT/FFXII/Tactics Ogre) also worked on the game as a UI designer. They've continued on to develop Heavensward.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Terper posted:

"I know absolutely nothing about FFXV! Help me!!"

Square Enix have heard your wishes and released a :eng101: new trailer. Might wanna open it in a Private Window, since spoilery videos on Youtube abound and you might have one show up in your sidebar or front page as recommendation.

that trailer guy sounds like george woods

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I've been playing the FFX-2 Remaster (ie the best FF) and just got the Psychic dressphere. Is this thing as powerful as I think it is? It has all the elemental eaters, a hasting ability, and an ability the nullifies all damage. Not that the game was particularly difficult, but this seems impressive for chapter 1.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SettingSun posted:

I've been playing the FFX-2 Remaster (ie the best FF) and just got the Psychic dressphere. Is this thing as powerful as I think it is? It has all the elemental eaters, a hasting ability, and an ability the nullifies all damage. Not that the game was particularly difficult, but this seems impressive for chapter 1.

Yes, psychic is busted. It was added into the International Edition and so it's kinda off-balance.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Tae posted:

Do you even own a current gen console?

Went PC this gen, so I don't have to worry about biting on early FF15 hype this time.

Though I did fall for No Man's Sky so you can still laugh at my stupidity.

ImpAtom posted:

Which is sadly an understatement. FF2 is the game where for one of the remakes they made a bonus dungeon consisting of all the party members who died during the game.

I've counted it before and literally half the generic town NPCs in that game end up dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Good trailer. I'm a little sad to hear that different outfits have different stats, I was hoping to be able to change freely without worrying about being suboptimal. Maybe it's just minor or inconsequential stat changes.

Based on the few frames from the trailer that show the stat changes between outfits, it looks like the difference between two outfits is ~80 HP (390 to 468); 3, uh, bicep? (19 to 22); 14 ranged? (73 to 87); and 3 total offense (19 to 22). I believe the bicep and the total offense are the same because Noctis has a sword equipped. It also looks like those changes are common between clothing. Noctis' fatigues have the higher HP with the lower combat scores, fatigues sans jacket has the lower HP and high combat scores, and the casual outfit (with jacket) has the lower scores across the board. I don't know if these adjustments are static or based on a percent of a core stat, but based on the fact that there are only two different values between three sets of clothes, I'd wager it's small percent bonuses that each outfit has or doesn't rather than big, dramatic changes one might find between disc 1 armor and disc 4 armor. That's just speculation though. I'd like to play dress up with my boys without worrying that I'm gimping them. Someone with the Judgement Disc demo could give a more in-depth analysis.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 22, 2016