Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Zane posted:

the da3 combat model just continued what the combat model for da2 was trying to do -- until it became more skyrim than baldurs gate. which was a good trade-off for you i guess? not a good trade-off for me. with the fun addition of a now non-functional tactical camera, a monotonous slog of an open world, crazy shenanigans with uneven terrain, and far far fewer uniquely tailored encounters. da1 was cool at the time when pillars of eternity wasn't even an idea but it had like four enemy types, a lot of extremely simplified mechanics, and long long dungeons, that made it often a lot more boring than bg1 from ten years earlier rofl

da2 was and is a weird action-strategy hybrid of an abortion of a thing but it was still more of a tactical rpg; its mechanics were at least vaguely more robust than its predecessor, with interesting and important stuff for warriors, rogues, and mages to do, and more varied enemy types; and the basic gameplay worked without taking up too much of your time

My maxim is that DA:O had better encounter design, but DA2 had better combat mechanics, classes, talent design, all this. Warriors and rogues in DA:O were boring and flat with a host of same-y abilities that were often straddling the line between dull and useless. In DA2, they're dynamic and fun to play with lots of battlefield mobility and cool tricks. Mages meanwhile went from "ridiculously strong god class that gets literally all the interesting stuff" to being balanced, interesting, but with a distinct combat role that they couldn't overlap and do everything like they did in DA:O.

On the flip side, DA:O has battles with like, archers on hills and strategically placed mages and stuff. DA2 has some battles like that, but it has more meatgrinders than Origins.

I also don't personally find the waves of enemies to be a problem, though? It forces you to re-evaluate your positioning and use the battlefield mobility skills available to you, the warrior/rogue charges and leaps and the more limited mage teleports, to react to a new situation on the fly. Other prefer seeing the archers on the hill and using stealth and pre-positioning to plan the whole fight from the start, which DA:O offers more of and which is also fine.

Personally I think the DA2 combat clinches it. Inquisition beats either in my book, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I'm going to have to disagree and here's my reasoning: Dragon Age 2 is the worst game ever made.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Why would you make a guy who dies at age 40 the pilot on your 600-year voyage?

They didn't reach Andromeda by flying there in the Tempest.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
DA:O's problem is that it was amazingly lifeless and boring to the point that most people don't remember much of it. The only thing I remember really is defiling ashes for fun and the really serious face my dwarf dude made right before Morrigan started to clip into him in an extremely confusing and glitchy but sexy sex scene.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
This week's Script Lock podcast has one of the writers working on Andromeda on.

https://scriptlock.simplecast.fm/episodes/53363-episode-22-mel-maccoubrey-ann-lemay

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Dan Didio posted:

I'm going to have to disagree and here's my reasoning: Dragon Age 2 is the worst game ever made.

Yeah. Not the literal worst game ever, but :staredog: the warm reminiscing itt.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I formally accuse anyone in this thread who expresses positive feelings towards DA:2 as being full of poo poo.

It was and is a piece of poo poo cash in sequel that played badly and had a bad narrative. Fact.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

DancingShade posted:

I formally accuse anyone in this thread who expresses positive feelings towards DA:2 as being full of poo poo.

It was and is a piece of poo poo cash in sequel that played badly and had a bad narrative. Fact.

And I accuse you of literally being your avatar!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Eej posted:

DA:O's problem is that it was amazingly lifeless and boring to the point that most people don't remember much of it. The only thing I remember really is defiling ashes for fun and the really serious face my dwarf dude made right before Morrigan started to clip into him in an extremely confusing and glitchy but sexy sex scene.

I played through DA:O as Dongalor, the Racist Elf Barbarian and it was hilarious. I got Zevran killed because I forgot he existed so when his assassin buddies came calling he went with them. I killed the healer because I wasn't paying attention and agreed with Morrigan when she called the mages sheeple, but missed the second half of the sentence, where she said they should all die. I sided with Loghain because Alistair is an incredibly whiny baby and he ran away crying hoping the war went well lmao. I also banged Morrigan in the dumbest cutscene ever while romancing Leliana. Bringing Loghain into the fold ended up saving the world because I forgot to put half of my party in actual armor or weapons because I only used Morrigan, Shale, and Leliana, so Loghain was the only one who actually had anything equipped and also Dog helped too. Good dog. In sidequests I made sure to not care about human problems and got Elf Israel created (which was apparently immediately shot down by the Chantry which threatened a crusade).

This made playing as an elf mage in DA:I extra fun because everyone was praising that guy constantly. Incidentally, playing through DA:O as a barbarian and with no healer loving sucks.

quote:

It was ok, I had fun with it. The gameplay was better than DA:O's, but I also played as a mage. I played both years after they released though.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Nov 22, 2016

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

DancingShade posted:

the truest of posts

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

Sounds as though some itt haven't played Duke Nukem Forever. Or Daikatana. Or E.T. for the Atari 2600. DA2 is Baldur's Gate compared to them.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Skippy McPants posted:

Much as I enjoyed the Normandy II, I kinda agree. Especially with the elevators, a whip-round with all your NPCs took way too long.

In then Inquisition took it into overdrive with the awful castle layout.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Probably a statement offered in hyperbole.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

I said come in! posted:

only about 70 hours into the game did I discover the dang Skyhold had a dang kitchen

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

I said come in! posted:

It was atrocious, I didn't even know where Cullen was for the longest time. DA:I's castle was as bad as ME1 Citadel with pointless load times and useless hallways/rooms with nothing happening in them.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

A place like Skyhold only works if you can fast travel anywhere or have a room where you can summon a character. Still, would be too drat big.

Also, yeah, another RPG contrivance full of poo poo: why the gently caress you have to go around to talk to everybody when you are the authority? Can't I just have a "tell X to meet me here ASAP" function? Come on devs you have or had bosses you know how it goes :v:

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Transmetropolitan posted:

Also, yeah, another RPG contrivance full of poo poo: why the gently caress you have to go around to talk to everybody when you are the authority? Can't I just have a "tell X to meet me here ASAP" function? Come on devs you have or had bosses you know how it goes :v:

Yeah but most of the time you're talking to them as their friend, not their boss. I think walking around the castle or ship or whatever to talk to everyone is pretty fun, but it would be more fun without any loading screens.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Mymla posted:

it would be more fun without any loading screens.

:getin:

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

I never finished DA:O it bored me. I did finish and greatly enjoy DA2 though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Dan Didio posted:

You know Dan we've had our many disagreements over Mass Effect but you're all right.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I'm glad I never played any of those Dragon Age games. They sound like boring garbage. Most of the genre is boring garbage though so it isn't surprising.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I'm glad I never played any of those Dragon Age games. They sound like boring garbage. Most of the genre is boring garbage though so it isn't surprising.

This is true. Fantasy is really bad.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Dragon age is the game I play when im waiting for a new mass effect to come out soon

this is literally the only reason im playing Inquisition

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Mods.

Are there mods for DAI that improve the game? I'm on my first playthrough.

Something that helps ultra-prioritize companion abilities, as in "taunt and Livid on every cooldown, what's wrong with you Blackwall" ?

Or...other suggestions?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
im gonna bone Ironbull

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Godspeed Moola :patriot:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Moola posted:

Dragon age is the game I play when im waiting for a new mass effect to come out soon

this is literally the only reason im playing Inquisition

Have you already played through WItcher 3 and its DLC more than three times, then?

Potato Salad posted:

Mods.

Are there mods for DAI that improve the game? I'm on my first playthrough.

There's something we here like to call the alt-f4 mod. :getin:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Skippy McPants posted:

Much as I enjoyed the Normandy II, I kinda agree. Especially with the elevators, a whip-round with all your NPCs took way too long.

The castle in Inquisition was WAYYYYY bigger than the Normandy and had almost no loading screens so I think we're good

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

precision posted:

The castle in Inquisition was WAYYYYY bigger than the Normandy and had almost no loading screens so I think we're good

pretty sure it was just for the undercroft and your quarters

which is weird because neither location was really big and you almost never had any reason to go to your quarters

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I replayed the Mass Effects and DA:I not too long ago, and Skyhold actually takes less time to go round if you're used to the layout. The Normandies are both quite the slog. Loading zones in player hubs, especially if they divvy up your NPCs, be a baaaad idea.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Eastbound Spider posted:

Godspeed Moola :patriot:

:heysexy::hf::heysexy:

Drifter posted:

Have you already played through WItcher 3 and its DLC more than three times, then?

PC cant handle it until I get my 1060

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I was enjoying DA:I and about 2/3 through, but then I started Witcher 3 and just dropped it like hot poo poo and never went back. Game was just outclassed in every conceivable way despite the obvious amount of effort involved in making it. Standalone and in a drought of decent RPGs, it seemed pretty good, but it was just hollow in comparison to W3.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The difference in sidequest quality between DA:I and W3 is hilarious.

The main questlines in DA:I aren't actually that bad to be fair, but christ you can tell that the game was either planned as a MMO or that they were just lazy.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Alain Post posted:

The main questlines in DA:I aren't actually that bad to be fair, but christ you can tell that the game was either planned as a MMO or that they were just lazy.

It was originally going to be a Co-Op multiplayer game, if you can believe it! I think it's fair to say that it had a somewhat fraught development. Not to the level of DA 2, but Bioware seems to have trouble deciding what exactly they want to be doing with the DA licence from game to game.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

It came out really well, though. I think it's a fantastic game no matter how you slice it, and even if the gameplay's not to your taste, it's hard to deny the amount of effort involved. Like, the world is stunningly huge for a Bioware RPG.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Skippy McPants posted:

It was originally going to be a Co-Op multiplayer game, if you can believe it! I think it's fair to say that it had a somewhat fraught development. Not to the level of DA 2, but Bioware seems to have trouble deciding what exactly they want to be doing with the DA licence from game to game.

Which is dumb, because it should have been "Mass effect, but fantasy" throughout. Instead they had to go and try and reinvent it with every sequel

DA:I was okay, but a lot felt like filler and the end was boring

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Zzulu posted:

Which is dumb, because it should have been "Mass effect, but fantasy" throughout.

This is exactly the thinking that led to DA2.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Android Blues posted:

It came out really well, though. I think it's a fantastic game no matter how you slice it, and even if the gameplay's not to your taste, it's hard to deny the amount of effort involved. Like, the world is stunningly huge for a Bioware RPG.

But most of the game was just stuffed with mindless busywork for no decent reward. You just ended up collecting hordes of pointless sidequests that generated nothing that was actually valuable with no way of discerning whether what you'd found was actually important.

The main story was great and all, but when the game leans so hard on the idea of an open world, that world actually needs to be interesting.

Edit: I mean it was nowhere near as bad as DA:2 but unlike DA:2 it didn't have DA:O before it making me want to think of it in a sympathetic light.

The result was I beat DA:2 hoping that somehow it would get better, but just gave up with DA:I because I had no faith that it would.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Hopefully they have figured it out by now and we can hope the development of DA4 is a lot smoother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I enjoyed parts of DA:I but Trespasser got me invested in the story, so I'm looking forward to DA4.