Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
normal dragon lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

if a mentally ill lurker buys me a n3ds and this game i promise i will add you as a friend or whatever

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the story just went off the drat rails and i fought the hardest boss in the entire series wtf

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Bobnumerotres posted:

that was great. game has a lot more character than other pokes

I thought the hiker was a distraction so I got that one wrong

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

that ivy guy posted:

I thought the hiker was a distraction so I got that one wrong

A-..Amazing! Amazing how wrong you are!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I been reading around about poke breeding and I think the only mechanic I don't get is IVs. Are they just random at birth/catch, outside of the ones that get passed down from the parents?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

that ivy guy posted:

Kommo-o, Bruxish, Alola Raichu

these are the only ones that I know

Ty I'm gonna get a kommo-o, dragon/fighting is a neat combo

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

In Training posted:

I been reading around about poke breeding and I think the only mechanic I don't get is IVs. Are they just random at birth/catch, outside of the ones that get passed down from the parents?

Yea. Every game has a way to catch pokemon with a number of IVs at 31 though, in this game its SOS battles. I think they can get up to 4 perfect IVs

If you use the destiny knot when breeding, 5 of the 6 IVs will be passed down from the parents. Which 5 stats and which parent is random. The last IV is random

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ristolaz posted:

Yea. Every game has a way to catch pokemon with a number of IVs at 31 though, in this game its SOS battles. I think they can get up to 4 perfect IVs

If you use the destiny knot when breeding, 5 of the 6 IVs will be passed down from the parents. Which 5 stats and which parent is random. The last IV is random

SOS battles are the ones where they call in reinforcements right?

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

In Training posted:

SOS battles are the ones where they call in reinforcements right?

Yeah. Supposedly every time a pokemon is called in the same battle, it has a higher chance of having one or more perfect IVs, and its hidden ability

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

So I screwed up the first step, should have caught a female with perfect IVs first and then given her destiny knot and bred with male with the nature I want holding an everstone

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

In Training posted:

So I screwed up the first step, should have caught a female with perfect IVs first and then given her destiny knot and bred with male with the nature I want holding an everstone

It doesnt matter which parent has the good IVs. Each inherited IV does a coinflip to see which parent it comes from

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I feel like Neo when he starts seeing the Matrix as ones and zeroes after 20 years of going "I like pikachu."

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

It takes a while but it feels good to do all the breeding stuff right and then EV train properly and level up and learn the right moves and use the good TMs and give it a good nickname then finally you are extremely out of bubblegum

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

In Training posted:

Whatever the gently caress this means, lol

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

memememe island

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

ill be havin this soon, fc is 0989-2269-0755

id appreciate any imp bros that add me

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
i'm 0877-4018-0490. believe in the pokemon dream

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

:five: next games need an old school sprite mode, complete with single color towns

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

PleasingFungus posted:

i'm 0877-4018-0490. believe in the pokemon dream

i added you, pokefriend :toot:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

EV training means leveling up while fighting only the appropriate pokémons because each pokémon gives benefits to certain stats when you beat them, right?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It used to be but you can use EV training hold items to max out specific stats without worrying who you fight

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Killing a Pokemon gives a specific EV point
Hold item = +8 EV points per kill regardless of enemy
SOS Battle = x2 bonus
Pokerus = x2 bonus
EV cap = 252

So it's 36 points a kill if you chain the right opponent and you can max a stat in 7 KOs

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

In Training posted:

It used to be but you can use EV training hold items to max out specific stats without worrying who you fight

That sounds way more reasonable because the way I originally heard about it sounded like the dumbest bullshit.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

In Training posted:

dunno if s/m has it but there's also super training which is more tedious than if you had the right items/pokerus but you can do it right away

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yinlock posted:

dunno if s/m has it but there's also super training which is more tedious than if you had the right items/pokerus but you can do it right away

they have that but it's an idler. You can leave a Pokemon on an island and it will max one stat in 31 hours. Real time not play time

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

In Training posted:

Not totally true. When holding them you get 8 EVs of the corresponding stat no matter what pokemon you fight, but you still get the EVs of the pokemon on top of that. So you still wanna fight the right ones

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ristolaz posted:

Not totally true. When holding them you get 8 EVs of the corresponding stat no matter what pokemon you fight, but you still get the EVs of the pokemon on top of that. So you still wanna fight the right ones

Yeah true, I forgot to mention that but I read it. Btw do you know what's up with the guy who will max your IVs with a bottle cap. I read online that this doesn't actually do anything to the math, it will just increase the numbers on he stats page without doing anything. Is that true?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Ristolaz posted:

Why would they do this

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Tender Bender posted:

Why would they do this

evs have always been dumb

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Yinlock posted:

evs have always been dumb

I mean yea that's my question

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

In Training posted:

Yeah true, I forgot to mention that but I read it. Btw do you know what's up with the guy who will max your IVs with a bottle cap. I read online that this doesn't actually do anything to the math, it will just increase the numbers on he stats page without doing anything. Is that true?

From what I read, it gives a permanent boost to the stat to make it equivalent to a 31 IV. So for battle purposes it should be exactly like having a 31 IV, but it will pass down your original IV when breeding and won't change your Hidden Power type

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

It raises the stats themselves but not the actual Individual Values so you can't use them to breed for IVs.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

Tender Bender posted:

Why would they do this

Nintendo doesnt like change so instead of overhauling the system they just add things to make it easier. I havent done it yet but it looks like EV training is more painless this gen than any before, at least

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

Also you need to be level 100 to use the bottle caps lol

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

In Training posted:

I feel like Neo when he starts seeing the Matrix as ones and zeroes after 20 years of going "I like pikachu."

I like pikachu

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

elf help book posted:

I like pikachu

this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

aalso do the qr thng every day, you cn get rare pokemon out of it. i g ot totodile yesterday nd deino today

• Locked thread