Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Haven't run into any cheaters yet I don't think. At least not obvious ones. One time somebody accused an enemy tracer of aimbotting but it looked normal to me. Some other time I wondered whether there was some kind of Roadhog hook aimbot because some guy was like a giant fat hook savant, but I'm pretty sure he was just good.

Klaaz posted:

I love S76 right now, I might consider uninstall if they throw him back in poo poo tier again :colbert:

I loved Soldier in beta, and I like that they buffed him since I just started playing again. Although I sort of miss being an unstoppable killing machine as McCree with fan the hammer and wiping other teams as Widow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

I have only seen one wallhack that was obvious enough to call, and maybe 6 or 7 aimbots. I most commonly see aimbotters on S76, which is always great for the "no, you retard, his ult is an aimbot" joke. Can't wait for the Sombra 'hacking' iterations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Oxyclean posted:

Is it worth it to at least place in competitive for the seasonal reward? I'm not really sure I want to get into competitive but the completionist in me almost wants to unlock some golden guns.

i do the 10 placement matches and don't bother with competitive at all afterwards which if my calculations are correct will net me enough purple points to get a golden gun by tyool 2053

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Climbing your way out of ELO hell is possible. In season 2 I placed around 2550 and held steady for awhile there then I started trying out charterers I rarely play. My ranking tanked down to 2300ish and things were real bad. My best charterers are Pharah, Roadhog, and Mei, and I'm passable with Lucio and Zenyatta. Not having any faith in being healed at those levels in played healers but my teams were very bad at killing the other team.

After losing my cool, I ditched my weak characters and healers and only did DPS. As soon as I switched to exclusively playing my three best characters I managed to climb to just shy of 2700.

ELO hell is real and the only way I know how to get out of it is by being a dickhead and hogging a DPS slot because people sub-2500 are really, really awful at killing other players.

This brings me to another debate, should medals be a thing? Far too often I am on teams with abysmal DPS that cannot kill the other team, but they use their gold damage medal to justify their continued existence as an offensive character. I don't know how to explain to people that dealing all three damage in the world is not a success if the other team never dies. On the flip side if I am playing a role and the appropriate medals are not silver or gold I take that to mean I'm not doing a good job and offer up my slot to give someone else a chance, so I find the medals useful for that.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Medals are not something for you to worry about and elo hell doesn't actually exist.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
elo hell is every rank and you can never escape it

you can rank up playing support though, i've gone from 2.1k to 3k playing primarily lucio and zen this season. theres also a goon in the tryhard thread who took smurfs from 500 to 3k playing on symmetra, and 1500 to 3500+ playing only lucio and ana

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
it's Elo, not ELO!!!

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I'm a big Electric Light Orchestra fan, but I guess it's not for everyone.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Tiler Kiwi posted:

it's Elo, not ELO!!!

"elo" - tracer

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
mei crazy good on payload pushes

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Tiler Kiwi posted:

it's Elo, not ELO!!!

Don't bring me down

klockwerk
Jun 30, 2007

dsch
Developer Update | Symmetra Redesign
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elN-QGyToxM

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

I love looking at Jeff Kaplan and all but they should really add captions to these if they insist on giving updates like this. Is there a transcription or brief summary of the changes?

from reddit:
tl:dr
Getting 2 ultimates, teleporter's staying the same. New ultimate is a shield generator that doesn't need line of sight that you deploy like the teleporter and gives shields to teammates in an Area around itself. Symmetra no longer has shield giving ability.
Ultimates getting more hp in the form of shields so they don't die as quickly.
New ability to replace shields, Photon Barrier: Similar to rein shield and winston's barrier. It's a barrier that's projected on a sort of track that moves along.
Minor tweaks to turrents, now you start with 6 turrets and can stockpile up to 6 with cooldown. They also have 10s cd instead of 12s.
Also extended the distance of the left click beam. Not a significant increase, just something to feel better.
Will all be on PTR soon.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

terrified of my bathroom posted:

elo hell is every rank and you can never escape it

you can rank up playing support though, i've gone from 2.1k to 3k playing primarily lucio and zen this season. theres also a goon in the tryhard thread who took smurfs from 500 to 3k playing on symmetra, and 1500 to 3500+ playing only lucio and ana

ELO hell is not a location but a shapeshifting person.

It took the form of a 100% hours Hanzo on KotH last night :shepicide:

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
it's a name, not an acronym!!!!!!!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
new sym sounds amazing

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Really interested in that projected barrier.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Tiler Kiwi posted:

it's a name, not an acronym!!!!!!!
ELOH

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

"She's the FIRST hero to have multiple ultimates."

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Did they announce if Sym is being moved to Defense or not? Because now she doesn't even provide support unless she's ulting...

Soldier76 is technically more supportive than her.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

^burtle posted:

don't get your hopes up

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
That's cool, I can't wait to shoot out giant slow moving discs of obstructive annoyance

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Thor-Stryker posted:

Did they announce if Sym is being moved to Defense or not? Because now she doesn't even provide support unless she's ulting...

Soldier76 is technically more supportive than her.

I don't think she will be moved to defense because she is not in that realm of zone denial that all the other defense heroes occupy

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Kashuno posted:

don't get your hopes up

I'm not, just curious to know it is on the table.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

^burtle posted:

D.Va sniffles quietly in the corner.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Thor-Stryker posted:

Soldier is scary in the hands of good players now, but it still feels good to go up against him because you aren't being bursted down in two shots Mcree style.

The other thing about Soldier that I don't see getting brought up a lot when people complain about him being too powerful is he's one of the only Offense heroes that doesn't have a panic button disengage. No wraith form, no blink, no double-jump-dash, no translocate. You have two options as Soldier, sprinting or throwing down a biotic field and hoping you can tank the damage, and biotic field loses a lot of damage races. He's got a powerful gun now but he's just as vulnerable as he ever was.

Kashuno posted:

I don't think she will be moved to defense because she is not in that realm of zone denial that all the other defense heroes occupy

I mean she sort of is, the most common Symmetra strategy is to find a flank route to turn into turret hell then spam M2 orbs down a primary chokepoint. That said Blizzard really wants to insist that she can be a viable "support but not a HEALER support" and they're really stubborn about stuff like that sometimes so I guess we'll see.

KoB
May 1, 2009
If Symm is support, Sombra should be Support too :colbert:

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Kashuno posted:

B B But... Her turrets....
She's Torb with a shorter range in return for a teleporter and a shield generator if she can ult.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm not saying she doesn't have any zone denial, I'm saying it's minor enough to Blizzard that they will keep her a support as her main typing. Kinda like how Roadhog is considered an offensive tank, I'd consider the new Sym to be a defensive support rather than a full on support, if that makes sense.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think Team Overwatch has always defined supports in this game as "helps other teammates to do their thing better," and it just so happens that all the other supports can heal. The Symmetra rework sounds cool though, I knew she would be the target for a complete overhaul eventually.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Character select screen should be a 4-circle Venn diagram.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Too Shy Guy posted:

Character select screen should be a 4-circle Venn diagram.

:agreed:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the symmetra changes seem mostly quality of life stuff (6 sentries on spawn and the better primary range), but the new ult and the shield interest me. I think symmetra being good depends entirely on those two additions to her kit

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
The notable thing about the shield generator toggleable ult is that it's a built object that keeps providing shields to your entire team in a big radius (and doesn't need LoS)

There's a lot of sneaky places you could stick one of those and help your team out massively.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

There's also some spots that are just plain obvious, but still take kind of a kamikaze effort to get to-- like the little nook behind Anubis B. Trying to fight through a shield-enhanced team to get at the generator could be real rough unless you've got Sombra.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

flatluigi posted:

The notable thing about the shield generator toggleable ult is that it's a built object that keeps providing shields to your entire team in a big radius (and doesn't need LoS)

There's a lot of sneaky places you could stick one of those and help your team out massively.

It seems more useful than a teleporter, even on 1st-point defense.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If Symmetra still builds meter as fast as she does currently then there's no reason why you couldn't have both up and running within the first couple minutes.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

there is a reason, and that is that it's probably an either/or proposition

Papercut posted:

It seems more useful than a teleporter, even on 1st-point defense.

even if it's not in practice, it does give her a reason to exist past the first point

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I assume you can't have both up period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

If Symmetra still builds meter as fast as she does currently then there's no reason why you couldn't have both up and running within the first couple minutes.

it sounds like while the ultimate still plunks down the same stationary object you have to toggle it between functioning as a teleporter and functioning as a shield generator, not that you can have both up and running