Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
It's really baffling to me that they would lock so many interesting little guns behind the Tanker and Pilot classes when the whole point of those classes was to limit what you could do if you abandoned your vehicle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
That sawed off shotgun for the tanker is so good. I haven't unlocked it yet but I've used it on the anti tank rifle pick up on Sinai and it shreds dudes.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

sunday at work posted:

It's really baffling to me that they would lock so many interesting little guns behind the Tanker and Pilot classes when the whole point of those classes was to limit what you could do if you abandoned your vehicle.

Good software is designed, bad software grown organically with changing specs.

Maybe the idea was to have a group of weapons shared by all classes, so once you unlock the weapon Foo for tanker, you could use that weapon has scout or medic.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
God these medals are garbage. Squad Suppression Assists don't count toward Suppression Assists for the support medal? Seriously?

Naganted
Jul 22, 2007

Indistinct Gibberish.
Toilet Rascal
Half the fun is figuring out how they work!
Ugh.

I played against a guy that had the absolute worst luck last night, it was hilarious and sad and I'm surprised that he didn't accuse me of being a 1337 Haxxor.

Sitting in an artillery truck and crank off a round at a bomber and whiff it- four seconds later my shot apparently lands square on the guy.

I lagged after being revived from a failed suicide tank rush and accidentally tossed a limpet next to an empty motorcycle, guy runs by and hops on the cycle after killing me. Promptly blows up.

Threw an incediary grenade at a low flying bomber because why not,....Grenade lands in some random spot a ways away,...Guy manages to spawn in on top of it.

Roadkilled him three times as right as he spawns in on his squad mates. Also knifed him while running afterone of his squad mates and he spawned in behind them.

That's only the times I remember.

Pretty sure he managed to shoot one of my land mines and kill himself too.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

Tei posted:

Good software is designed, bad software grown organically with changing specs.

Maybe the idea was to have a group of weapons shared by all classes, so once you unlock the weapon Foo for tanker, you could use that weapon has scout or medic.

The game really could use a carbine class of universal weapons.

thrust fault
Nov 3, 2004
ok
How do I get in on the Xbone crew? I added my details to the Google spreadsheet. GT is WorkingFamilies, playing most nights.

I just started playing this, why does no one ever use the mic?

edit: added, cheers m8

thrust fault fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 22, 2016

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Snak posted:

God these medals are garbage. Squad Suppression Assists don't count toward Suppression Assists for the support medal? Seriously?

I was trying to do the Squad Spotting one last night and I am not sure why but I never got a single one during 2 hours of playing even though one map I spent the entire time doing nothing but spotting. I even changed up classes to see if that mattered.

They really need to put an explanation of these in the game somewhere, like maybe the track medals page.

Trastion fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 22, 2016

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I hardly hear pubbies use the mic, which is fine with me. In fact the only pubbie I've ever heard use the mic in bf1 was literally named xxxblazed420xxx, and it was just his lovely background music.

Xbros are good about using the mic tho

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
Last night the sole microphone interaction I had was a guy burping loudly multiple times after the match ended. I quit after that.

War pigeons is really fun, btw. Super dynamic game mode and you get to explore some really unused parts of maps.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Like, I am never gonna get this medal, because I work with my squad too much. I constantly get squad Suppression assist. Which don't count. I would have to abandon my squad to get this medal.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Join the rest of us in not caring about medals til they unfuck em

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

thrust fault posted:

I just started playing this, why does no one ever use the mic?

We're all in a party chat normally. When I play alone I make a party just for me so I don't accidentally hear iTzBluntsmoka1488 talk.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I've had some decent success with people using mics on Xbox. Even talking to a squad can usually get one or two people to turn their mics on. You def get the occasional idiots playing loud music and singing along though.

I just got dropped into an Amiens conquest on the German side that was ~115-30 right as the British were capping B to hold every objective. How does that even happen?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Some dude wouldn't stop crying in my squad because we were losing and he was blaming it on everyone else. I spawned on him and found out he was sniping so I did what any doughboy would do and just relentlessly threw smoke grenades at him the rest of the match. He actually tried to run away and juke me out; I guess he didn't realize I could see him on the radar?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Chemmy posted:

We're all in a party chat normally. When I play alone I make a party just for me so I don't accidentally hear iTzBluntsmoka1488 talk.

This. The first thing I do in any multiplayer game is disable game chat. I have enough of that poo poo in CoD.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Jesus Christ. What even is a "Spot Assist"? I thought from how Suppression Assists worked, it would be when you spotted an enemy and then a teammate killed them. But that's apparently a "Spot Bonus".

I'm still having a lit of fun with this game, but spotting is really loving janky. It's harder to spot enemies than to just shoot them.

edit: and also the "R1 to throw bandages/ammo" prompt drives me nuts. I wish that it would only show up when it's actually "active". Far too often, I see the prompt, hit the button, and nothing happens. The "spotting" cooldown seems to include all R1 activities. I can't spot an enemy immediately after issuing and order to an objective, and I can't throw ammo to someone right after I fail to do so.

Snak fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Nov 22, 2016

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Snak posted:

Jesus Christ. What even is a "Spot Assist"? I thought from how Suppression Assists worked, it would be when you spotted an enemy and then a teammate killed them. But that's apparently a "Spot Bonus".

I'm still having a lit of fun with this game, but spotting is really loving janky. It's harder to spot enemies than to just shoot them.

edit: and also the "R1 to throw bandages/ammo" prompt drives me nuts. I wish that it would only show up when it's actually "active". Far too often, I see the prompt, hit the button, and nothing happens. The "spotting" cooldown seems to include all R1 activities. I can't spot an enemy immediately after issuing and order to an objective, and I can't throw ammo to someone right after I fail to do so.

I think you can only throw 2 ammo/medic bags at a time, or have 2 active at a time. It's great for resupplying a squad of like 3-5 bros, but if you get into a locker-style choke point it's really inefficient, and the supply box works better.

I also think they nerfed the supply bags to not be an instant 100% resupply. I was playing as assault, used up all my mines and monster grenades, and the resupply bag gave me 2 mines and 1 grenade, plus ammo.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
yeah, but I mean when it pops up and says "R1 to throw a ammo" and I hit it, and nothing happens, so I hit it again. Then I just aim at a stopped ally for 5 seconds, and the promp re-appears and then I can do it. It seems a lot like it has a cooldown, just like spotting. Which is extra frustrating when I can't trust the popup at all since it doesn't disappear right away.

I think I really just need to stop trying to play support. The machine gun is fun to shoot, but it kind of just sucks. Mortars seem useless 90% of situations. 3 airburst mortars won't kill a person, and HE mortars have a <1m blast radius. There doesn't seem to be a way to pack up or move the mortar tube once you deploy it.

Assault and Medic seem to be my best classes. I tried scout briefly but I'm garbage at it. Medic has the best guns, holy poo poo.

Snak fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Nov 22, 2016

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Snak posted:

yeah, but I mean when it pops up and says "R1 to throw a ammo" and I hit it, and nothing happens, so I hit it again. Then I just aim at a stopped ally for 5 seconds, and the promp re-appears and then I can do it. It seems a lot like it has a cooldown, just like spotting. Which is extra frustrating when I can't trust the popup at all since it doesn't disappear right away.

Why wouldn't you just hit left or right on the dpad (whichever you assigned your ammo bag/crate to)?

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I might be imagining it, but hitting the contextual prompt button to heal/resupply homes in on the player in your crosshairs.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
The d pad button will throw the pack at which ever ally is in your crosshairs or who has verbally requested the item. Mostly.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I thought the dpad just chucked it on the ground in front of me. R1 context throw does a 20m magic homing pass.

Regardless, when a prompt pops up and says "hit this button to do this thing" and hitting the button doesn't do that thing, but the prompt stays up even after you've hit the button, that's bad design. Button prompts should indicate availability of action. When the action is no longer available, the prompt should immediately disappear.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Whenever it gives me the R1 to throw ammo prompt, I almost always end up chucking a grenade.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Man, the Repetierpistole M1912 secondary is really awesome. I'm normally a revolver whore but the way you reload the pistole is great. Probably my favorite pistol in the game.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
The Melee medal is impossible.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

sbaldrick posted:

Which one is that?

Edit: I mean, what are the requirements?

RCarr fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 22, 2016

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

sbaldrick posted:

I just did the close quarters one, which I thought would be impossible.

10 kills with sidearms (a pain int he rear end)
20 kills with SMGs (not too bad but I rarely use it so I had to really intentionally do this one)
20 kills with shotguns (easy)
5 kills with bladed melee weapons (easier than I thought)
5 kills with blunt melee weapons (harder but I did it)

Glad I don't have to do it again, I'll tell you that

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Compared to trying to get assists, that sounds downright easy. To get an a spot assist, you have to spot an enemy and then not shoot at them, and then have a teammate kill them really soon after you spot them. If you shoot a them and miss, you get a suppression assist, if you shoot at them and hit, you get a kill assist.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do flares count? You might get lucky if your team has a behemoth and you tag dudes with one

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

frank.club posted:

Do flares count? You might get lucky if your team has a behemoth and you tag dudes with one

I'm not sure, but that's a good idea. I only need two more spot assists before I get the medal though. I have just been spotting every single thing I see and praying.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
yeah just pop flares into C on ballroom blitz and you'll be fine

every medal is like a puzzle with an "obvious" grindy premise and a lateral cheat solution

sbaldrick posted:

horse :q:

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
operations is good when you have a good crew to roll with and painful when you dont

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010

Snak posted:

I'm not sure, but that's a good idea. I only need two more spot assists before I get the medal though. I have just been spotting every single thing I see and praying.

the biggest issue with spotting is the short window they remain spotted when they leave your line of sight, if someone on your team doesn't kill them quick enough you miss out

flares are helpful because they remain spotted as long as it's burning

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
What classes can use flares?

Edit: and does anyone know what a Squad Spot is? I thought maybe it was just spotting so.eone for your squad, like a squad assist, but I'm starting to think it's when you spot an entire enemy squad, aka LOL.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

sbaldrick posted:

What this guy said. The cavalry sword is considered a melee weapon even though it doesn't give you dogtags from horseback. The melee medal was the first one I got.

EDIT: Also if you're doing the earlier steps, don't forget you can safely melee from the front now and it'll instakill if the enemy has low health. Just do things Halo-style: shoot the enemy a couple times, then punch them. Or slam a hatchet into their chest. Whatever.

TheOneAndOnlyT fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Nov 23, 2016

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Snak posted:

What classes can use flares?

Edit: and does anyone know what a Squad Spot is? I thought maybe it was just spotting so.eone for your squad, like a squad assist, but I'm starting to think it's when you spot an entire enemy squad, aka LOL.
Scout

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Pilot gets a flare gun too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

What, if anything, can infantry do to take down horse without being beheaded multiple times? Other than hide in building?