Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Lightning Knight posted:

The EC going faithless and throwing this to Hillary would be an unmitigated disaster. Best case scenario she governs as a lame duck President for four years and we get routed in 2020. Worst case, civil war. Don't bother.

It would be less of a disaster than a Trump Presidency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Well that's good enough for the media case closed

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Spaced God posted:

If the electoral college rebels a loving civil war would happen

At this point, that would do far, far less damage than letting this open fascist bigoted conman fleece the nation for at least four years.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

readingatwork posted:

...Trump's getting a second term isn't he?

You have posted to the effect that you think globalization is a neoliberal plot and that we could actually bring the factory jobs back, so I'm not sure you have any idea how completely nonsensical the idea of clinging to manual labor is or will continue to be in the next 50 years as robots become more advanced.

Asking us to maintain factory and manual labor jobs is like going back in time and trying to maintain the agricultural economy in 1920.

mcmagic posted:

Nah. It would guarantee somebody dangerous and competent gets in, in 2020. Somebody like Ted Cruz.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

icantfindaname posted:

we're talking about milwaukee wisconsin and youngstown ohio, not north dakota

And Clinton won both of those cities while losing the places that are as vacant as north dakota in those states.

Also the problem with the EC isn't that it's slightly unfair to cities or something, it's that it's massively unfair to cities. When the Apportionment Act of 1911 came into effect (which sets how many electors each state gets) the population divide between city/rural was about 50/50. Now it's something like 80/20.

Gringostar fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Nov 22, 2016

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Spaced God posted:

I think I prefer that to Trump being president.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Gringostar posted:

And Clinton won both of those cities while losing the places that are as vacant as north dakota.

she lost WI because people in Milwaukee didn't vote enough, because Milwaukee is a loving post-apocalyptic wasteland that Dems wrote off 40 years ago

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Trump is going to commit so many impeachable offenses in his first year alone and the House isn't going to do poo poo about it.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

mcmagic posted:

i'm starting to believe this too. as much as i'd like to hope that trump's presidency would be merely incompetent, i worry if we will even have elections in 2018 if he enters office.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Harrow posted:

Trump is going to commit so many impeachable offenses in his first year alone and the House isn't going to do poo poo about it.

It's going to be like all the awful poo poo he did during the campaign becoming dog bites man stories.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
http://www.vice.com/read/heil-trump-this-is-the-alternative-right?utm_source=vicetwitterus

quote:

Tila Tequila is a 35-year-old who became famous through social networking sites years ago and has become notorious for her Nazi sympathies:

I came to the alt-right around the time I started pondering Hitler in 2013. Hitler did nothing wrong! I feel like there are two sides. I definitely see [a connection between Hitler's rise and the alt-right movement] because the alt-right wouldn't have manifested like this if these people didn't feel like they had been oppressed for so long. These people wouldn't be so extreme and hardcore as they are. The German people were broke, and that is just like middle class of America today. Our middle class has vanished. They feel like no one cares about them. This alt-right thing would not have manifested if there wasn't such a crappy environment to begin with.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Remember folks, if the EC decides it's ok to ignore the state's popular vote on Trump it will likely turn around and pull that same trick on a more liberal reform candidate one day.

Be careful what you wish for.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

You can't sell real estate. It's literally impossible.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/801131740156887045

https://twitter.com/ThePlumLineGS/status/801132225093894144

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Condiv posted:

i'm starting to believe this too. as much as i'd like to hope that trump's presidency would be merely incompetent, i worry if we will even have elections in 2018 if he enters office.

Oh ffs get a hold of yourself.

Like, lay out a timeline for me. Step me through how Trump literally cancels the electoral process.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

icantfindaname posted:

she lost WI because people in Milwaukee didn't vote enough, because Milwaukee is a loving post-apocalyptic wasteland that Dems wrote off 40 years ago

Combo of that and WI-03 not turning out.

Though I wonder if someone had run against Ron Kind if that would have caused them to devote a bit more to a GOTV effort in WI-03.

Oh well.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

She takes pipe for a living and is recovering from a stroke. This is more sad than anything else.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
obama authorized massive infrastructure projects like high speed rail throughout the rust belt. republican state governments then refused the literal billions of dollars that were being offered to their states. that's not a messaging issue or a policy issue for the democratic party. it was the correct policy pushed at the correct time, torpedoed by republicans.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

mods plz "hitler ponderer"

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

readingatwork posted:

Remember folks, if the EC decides it's ok to ignore the state's popular vote on Trump it will likely turn around and pull that same trick on a more liberal reform candidate one day.

Be careful what you wish for.

This is literally what the electoral college is for.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

actual bond villain in this article:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Venuz Patrol posted:

obama authorized massive infrastructure projects like high speed rail throughout the rust belt. republican state governments then refused the literal billions of dollars that were being offered to their states. that's not a messaging issue or a policy issue for the democratic party. it was the correct policy pushed at the correct time, torpedoed by republicans.

Didn't they also do the same thing to retraining programs?

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

icantfindaname posted:

Where the most falloff was in areas were people would have the most trouble meeting voter ID requirements.

Now was that the only reason? No.

Was that a reason just as important as the other ones? Yes, and it's loving hilarious how no one is even mentioning that.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

UV_Catastrophe posted:

New vote-winning dem policy proposal for 2020: literally bulldoze rural america

I don't think that is what people are suggesting.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Venuz Patrol posted:

A rail CEO got in trouble for illegal contributions to Walker's campaign in 2010, funny enough.

Oh, and if you guessed that his tracks would be used for parts of the Madison-Milwaukee-Chicago Higher Speed Rail project, YOU'RE RIGHT!

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Lightning Knight posted:

Didn't they also do the same thing to retraining programs?

Also to healthcare subsidies.

Why it's almost like republicans have spent the last 8 years trying to kill anything and everything democrats have tried to do to make things better for the rust belt... but for some reason the next time democrats try to help those people republicans will just roll over or something because of messaging.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Lightning Knight posted:

You have posted to the effect that you think globalization is a neoliberal plot and that we could actually bring the factory jobs back, so I'm not sure you have any idea how completely nonsensical the idea of clinging to manual labor is or will continue to be in the next 50 years as robots become more advanced.

Asking us to maintain factory and manual labor jobs is like going back in time and trying to maintain the agricultural economy in 1920.

Computers aren't magic. The day where a factory is completely self-contained is still a long ways away and even then we'll still need people to service the robots, patch roofs and repair drywall. Manual labor may become less common but it's hardly going extinct.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

galenanorth posted:

Why HUD? Why not Health and Human Services, Secretary-General, or Veterans Affairs (for the healthcare parts)? Why put Dr. Carson, esteemed as the most successful black Republican candidate for President so far, in charge of the department responsible for preventing housing discrimination? After all, if it's about his qualifications as a rousing politician and dignitary, Secretary of State would do more to bolster his promising career. It just doesn't add up.

He's black, who else would be qualified to handle Section 8 issues?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Gringostar posted:

Where the most falloff was in areas were people would have the most trouble meeting voter ID requirements.

Now was that the only reason? No.

Was that a reason just as important as the other ones? Yes, and it's loving hilarious how no one is even mentioning that.

Voter disenfranchisement really isn't being talked about enough. Over the years as Team Rocket has instituted voter ID laws, voter roll purges, and polling place consolidation in the states they control, I always kind of had faith that it wouldn't work. We'd put them on buses, we'd help them get IDs, we'd have lawyers ready to protect eligible voters being turned away.

I was wrong to be that optimistic. The poo poo worked. There was just too much in too many places to organize our way out of. All of the "what do we do now?" conversations seem focused on the federal government. If the Democratic Party wants a comeback that includes a majority that's actually durable, we need to spend our time in the wilderness getting local and state offices filled by Democrats. Democrats who will undo voter disenfranchisement, accept Medicaid expansion, and spend newly black-granted funds on the people they're actually meant for.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Oh ffs get a hold of yourself.

Like, lay out a timeline for me. Step me through hiw Trump literally cancels the electoral process.

i wonder if the laws we rely on to have an electoral process will be enforced at all, and by whom

we already have republicans trying to reverse an election they lost, and we have trump staff sieg heiling in the whitehouse. i'm worried that we have a ton of trump supporters in the military and in the police that would be willing to obey trump over our laws and constitution

that being said, i'm not at "go faithless EC!" yet

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
This is the most hopeful thing I've heard all year

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/801128088151224320

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

readingatwork posted:

Computers aren't magic. The day where a factory is completely self-contained is still a long ways away and even then we'll still need people to service the robots, patch roofs and repair drywall. Manual labor may become less common but it's hardly going extinct.

Roofing and drywalling are low skill jobs, but robot service technician is absolutely a high skill job which are the only jobs that factories are making now.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

readingatwork posted:

Of course there will be people required. Most of those positions also want more than sub-high school diploma qualifications, which torpedoes the majority of the people we're talking about. Nevermind that there just isn't that many people required for these types of jobs. Many of these factories are coming back to the US on their own, being worked by robots. Cutting maximum allowed hours and increasing minimum wages will help in the short run, but in the long run, factory work is dying in general. 10% of the world could provide enough for everyone to live comfortably and we're fighting over who gets to be the 10% who has to work lovely jobs instead of considering the wider possibilities afforded to us by that scenario.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

theblackw0lf posted:

He changes his mind minute to minute. Nothing he says today is genuine. Nothing he says at all is genuine.

The Republican party at large doesn't want to recognize climate change. Climate change will not be recognized.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Spaced God posted:

lol no it wouldn't

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

theblackw0lf posted:

:pray:
Oh please God let this be a pivot

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Proud Christian Mom posted:

40 years of Democrats and Republicans and the average American is worse off so please stop pretending either party really gives a poo poo about the economy other than whatever it takes to get elected and make their donors happy

Wow man you are so cool and above it all you really seem to have a grasp of what's going on.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Spaced God posted:

:pray:
Oh please God let this be a pivot

Hope is dead, hth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Sir Tonk posted:

lol no it wouldn't

A civil war based on an EC decision is unlikely but massive amounts of right-wing terrorism and an almost certain Republican presidency in 2020 - and probably a much worse person than Trump, like Pence or Cruz - wouldn't be much loving better.

• Locked thread