Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Thx for the info. I guess another part of the issue is that I just discovered that my old-rear end version of Megui which I use for my renders doesn't have support for QAAC. Whoops. I guess using the old Nero AAC until I set up the current version is the next best thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
If you actually care about quality <-> filesize tradeoffs, I learned at some point that the best AAC encoder is actually fhgaac which is really strange because the only way to get it is to install Winamp. There's a command line wrapper for the DLL though.

If you don't care about this and just want an easy way to encode audio for MP4 containers, just use Nero AAC or QAAC. Either way don't use FAAC.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Yeah, I don't really care about the file size in that regard since Mp4 is already a pretty slim container. Though, after getting a fresh Megui(2624) I found that it actually supports FDK aac instead which I assume is just as well.

Looking at these documentations on the web made me realize how old some of the codecs I use are lmao at me

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

If you actually care about quality <-> filesize tradeoffs, I learned at some point that the best AAC encoder is actually fhgaac which is really strange because the only way to get it is to install Winamp.

Can you give me a source on this?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Is there a way to fix the width of an image without having to manually set the height as well? I can find
code:
[img={width}x{height}]{url}[/img]
but is there an equivalent that will resize and maintain aspect ratio?

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
So I'm having an Issue with MeGui. I've recently encoded 2 videos that have popped out with off lengths. One says it is about 9 minuets long but went in at a little over 15 mins. It just keeps playing after the 9 mins that it thinks it is until the actual end of the video. I just can't seek past 9 mins. The other is about a 3 min video that it now thinks is 10 mins. It just stops after 3. Everything else came out fine. Anyone know what is causing this or a way to fix it? The source files are ok.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I'm getting this message when trying to get the Rightload plugin from LPix:

I'm using the link at the bottom

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Sounds like the hyperlink is set up incorrectly, because if I go to my gallery first & try to download it i get the same error, but if I go to lpix.org and click the link it works just fine.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Using Avisynth, what would be the best way to convert a 30 FPS video to 60 FPS? I don't want to change the footage, I just want YT to accept it as a 60 FPS video so it gets re-encoded at a higher bitrate. I'm curious how much better (or not) it'll end up looking.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Genocyber posted:

Using Avisynth, what would be the best way to convert a 30 FPS video to 60 FPS? I don't want to change the footage, I just want YT to accept it as a 60 FPS video so it gets re-encoded at a higher bitrate. I'm curious how much better (or not) it'll end up looking.

use changefps and it'll change your fps by duplicating frames. 30 to 60 fps done this way will be completely seamless and look identical to source.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Genocyber posted:

clip.ChangeFPS(clip.FrameRateNumerator*2, clip.FrameRateDenominator)

will exactly double the FPS by inserting extra duplicate frames.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cool, thanks. I can never remember which of the FPS altering functions does what.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
There's a function reference, you know. http://avisynth.nl/index.php/FPS

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
Olive Branch and I are working on a new LP. We recorded an hour's worth of footage, and it turns out that his audio is coming up with an echo, or reverb. I know why it happened and it won't happen again, but is there a way to remove the reverb from the source file? Or are we going to have to rerecord the last hour?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
All the methods I know for removing lovely reverberance require either a three-figure budget, or a google search and a five figure discount, and in either case are based in audio-centric suites you probably aren't using if you're asking this question.

e; so yeah by process of elimination it sounds like y'all gonna discover the joys of postcommentary (the superior commentary) unless you feel like taking on a Tech Excursion

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Nov 6, 2016

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm using Roxio Videowave to edit videos due ot virtualdub not recognising the formats my new card captures in, and after editing out all the scrap that doesn't need to be their like loading screens and such (by cutting the video at each point then truncating the clip to excise the detritus), it remains perfectly synched up with the audio - until I export it. I've tried everything I can think of but the videos always have the same issue - fine for the first few minutes then after a bit, they desync by 3 seconds or so. How can I prevent this?

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

So I'm working on a bit of an unconventional LP project where I'm playing the original Fallout with someone overseas. We've been using screen sharing in Google Hangouts so far and I swear it transmitted sound when we used it before I had to blow and reinstall my computer. Is there any known way of getting this to work, or another option for sharing both my screen and sound with someone else while also talking? Ideally without paying a fortune to do so (I can probably pay a bit, though, if that's the best option). I've experimented a bit with stuff like TeamViewer and its ilk but they send too low a framerate, and running a private stream on Twitch or Hitbox gives too much delay; it's important that we're playing in realtime as the main draw of the LP for prospective viewers is that she's unfamiliar with all the Fallouts before 3 and is seeing this stuff for the first time.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Woebin posted:

So I'm working on a bit of an unconventional LP project where I'm playing the original Fallout with someone overseas. We've been using screen sharing in Google Hangouts so far and I swear it transmitted sound when we used it before I had to blow and reinstall my computer. Is there any known way of getting this to work, or another option for sharing both my screen and sound with someone else while also talking? Ideally without paying a fortune to do so (I can probably pay a bit, though, if that's the best option). I've experimented a bit with stuff like TeamViewer and its ilk but they send too low a framerate, and running a private stream on Twitch or Hitbox gives too much delay; it's important that we're playing in realtime as the main draw of the LP for prospective viewers is that she's unfamiliar with all the Fallouts before 3 and is seeing this stuff for the first time.

I struggled with this and have only done it once so there is probably a far better way of doing it but this worked for me. Using Voicemeeter (or I assume anything similar) you can mix several outputs into one, so in this case you would want to combine your microphone and PC audio into one channel and use that as your audio output when screen sharing.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
Different question, somewhat related to my first:

We're playing a computer game and we're doing live-commentary for it. I'm having difficulty keeping the audio recording for the game separate from his audio coming in through Skype - I'm always recording both. I tried futzing with Stereo Mix, with Xsplit and Dxtory each using different audio settings, but I'm at a bit of a loss, or maybe I'm just not seeing something. Is there any possible way (preferably without using VAC) to keep them separate so I can edit them individually?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
VAC is what this is designed for. VAC is a really lovely program, so you can use VoiceMeeter / Banana if you don't like VAC's UI.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I'm thinking about doing a screenshot LP, and I remember a few lpers mentioning or linking to a test post thing but I cant remember the name. Anyone mind helping me out?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

MythosDragon posted:

I'm thinking about doing a screenshot LP, and I remember a few lpers mentioning or linking to a test post thing but I cant remember the name. Anyone mind helping me out?

You're looking for http://lpix.org/sslptest/

Also please remember to use lpix.org for your images, it makes things way easier for you and your readers. There's instructions on the fourth post in this thread on how to batch upload stuff using Rightload.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Danaru posted:

You're looking for http://lpix.org/sslptest/

Also please remember to use lpix.org for your images, it makes things way easier for you and your readers. There's instructions on the fourth post in this thread on how to batch upload stuff using Rightload.

Thanks, I already got that all setup, I was more stumped by the actual writing and formatting of an LP than the technical side.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Zenithe posted:

I struggled with this and have only done it once so there is probably a far better way of doing it but this worked for me. Using Voicemeeter (or I assume anything similar) you can mix several outputs into one, so in this case you would want to combine your microphone and PC audio into one channel and use that as your audio output when screen sharing.
Just wanted to report back that we've done a recording session with this, and apart from some minor echo issues it seems to work pretty well. Thanks!

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
What is echoing?

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
It's echoing. ...echoing. ...echoing.

For most LPs it's caused when someone's mic is picking up the call audio/game audio causing an echo in the commentary track.

There's no really good way to remove it, it's best not to have any echo in the first place.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Anyone have any idea what could be causing YT to gently caress up my audio when uploading a video? For w/e reason, in this specific instance, it's making my commentary audio specifically sound more tinny.

e: I just messed around with the audio levels of my gameplay and commentary and that seems to have fixed the issue. Still, weird.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Nov 21, 2016

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Do these screenshots look decent? Filesize too big? I'm a bit wary of dropping the JPG quality much lower than the current 85.

The subtitle font in Jade Empire looks a bit crummy no matter the image quality, although the resize from 1080p probably doesn't help matters (I suppose I could see how it looks if I play the game in 720p, which would still be decent enough for my boss fight videos).

edit: Since nobody has said anything, I'm going to assume these look okay and I can start working on the actual LP.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Nov 22, 2016

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Is there an efficient way of previewing an AVS file that includes the audio? I am trying to time some cuts to specific audio cues and the built-in preview in AvsPmod seems to be silent.

Trizophenie
Mar 2, 2011

Jar Jar Binks improved my story.

Golden Battler posted:

Is there an efficient way of previewing an AVS file that includes the audio? I am trying to time some cuts to specific audio cues and the built-in preview in AvsPmod seems to be silent.

VirtualDub and MPC both play audio on avs files for me, maybe try either of those?

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
MPC doesn't seem to work for me anymore (I coulda sworn it used to) but VirtualDub works just fine, thanks!

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

You're probably using a 64 bit MPC but a 32 bit Avisynth, which don't talk to eachother.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
This might be a dumb question, I don't know dick all about Elgato software and I don't have the computer on hand to finick with it, but is there a way to boost the audio directly in the Elgato software's editor? We recorded a slightly ridiculous amount of episodes that have the audio just low enough to annoy me, and right now our only option looks to be fixing it in Premiere then re-encoding all of them. I'd really rather not. :(

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
I have no idea having never used Elgato's software. However if you're up for AviSynth, FFMPS2, and MeGUI you can up the audio level by only re-encoding the audio, which is probably the best you're going to be able to do in any editor.

(I suppose it's also possible that some video format can encode audio level corrections to tell players to amp the audio themselves, but I wouldn't count on any such thing working with YouTube in any case.)

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
So, quick question about transparencies, I've got a few portraits for my SSLP with white backgrounds that I'd like to make transparent. Unfortunately, the only image program I have experience with is Paint, so I'm not sure how to fix that. Are there any free programs out there that can do that?

One of the portraits in question.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Yes: The GIMP. Rather than try and explain how to make the background transparent myself, I'll just direct you to this StackExchange question since it already has screenshots of the tools and the GIMP isn't the most user-friendly program out there. (Although neither is Photoshop.)

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

LordHippoman posted:

So, quick question about transparencies, I've got a few portraits for my SSLP with white backgrounds that I'd like to make transparent. Unfortunately, the only image program I have experience with is Paint, so I'm not sure how to fix that. Are there any free programs out there that can do that?

One of the portraits in question.

Xenoveritas posted:

Yes: The GIMP. Rather than try and explain how to make the background transparent myself, I'll just direct you to this StackExchange question since it already has screenshots of the tools and the GIMP isn't the most user-friendly program out there. (Although neither is Photoshop.)
There's also Paint.NET which can do it, and has a friendlier UI. You can get it here.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Thank you, that made transparencies easy as hell. Should help a lot in the future.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
For anyone with some willingness to use more "bare" tools, ImageMagick, a commandline image processing toolkit, can also do this:
code:
convert input.png -transparent white output.png

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

So I know this is probably embarrassingly stupid, but I'm pretty new to forums in general, much less using them to write giant updates about playing a game while linking like a hundred images. I understand how BBcode and smilies work, but are there any quality of life tricks I should know, like a way to write :Character Name: to have a sprite for transcribing text?