Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
It protects the screen by having a little lip around the edges that keeps the screen from touching the ground.

https://www.amazon.com/Diztronic-Slim-Fit-Flexible-Motorola-Generation/dp/B01HOVGIJO

Check out the pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Huh, okay. The phone itself has a little lip, maybe that's not enough.

At least online I can get cases that aren't $40. And unlike when my wife's shattered, the phone is still working.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
You should replace your floor with an inflatable bounce house floor. Don't compromise your phone's looks when an obvious solution is staring you in the face.

crack mayor
Dec 22, 2008
Does the Pixel on Google Fi automatically share photos if you take advantage of cloud backup? I just got an alert this morning that i think said six people and one location were associated or shared with some pics I took this weekend. I tried looking at settings in the Photos app, but I didn't see anything to toggle. There is a shared album part, but it didn't look like there was anything in it. I don't really take advantage of everything the Google ecosystem offers, so i don't know if the thing automatically uploads to Google+ or anything like that since I really just use Gmail.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

How would a case, which does not cover the screen, prevent the screen from breaking?

What

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Huh, okay. The phone itself has a little lip, maybe that's not enough.

At least online I can get cases that aren't $40. And unlike when my wife's shattered, the phone is still working.

What did you think cases were? Legit curious, because a case is what you want to protect screens from shattering, a screen protector is only going to help prevent scratches on the display. But yeah, buy a $8-10 Diztronic.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

crack mayor posted:

Does the Pixel on Google Fi automatically share photos if you take advantage of cloud backup?

I don't use Google Photos, but it's supposed to keep the uploads private until you specifically share them. That's what it says in the sync help section of the app.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

crack mayor posted:

Does the Pixel on Google Fi automatically share photos if you take advantage of cloud backup? I just got an alert this morning that i think said six people and one location were associated or shared with some pics I took this weekend. I tried looking at settings in the Photos app, but I didn't see anything to toggle. There is a shared album part, but it didn't look like there was anything in it. I don't really take advantage of everything the Google ecosystem offers, so i don't know if the thing automatically uploads to Google+ or anything like that since I really just use Gmail.

Could be the auto tagging thing they do. It recognizes different faces and will use GPS data to organize things, while keeping it in your private photo collection. It's weird but cool to be able to search like "hiking" in Google photos and get a bunch of pictures from the park.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

RVProfootballer posted:

What

What did you think cases were? Legit curious, because a case is what you want to protect screens from shattering, a screen protector is only going to help prevent scratches on the display. But yeah, buy a $8-10 Diztronic.

I thought the screen protector would absorb the damage to the screen, and the case would just prevent scratches and take a little of the energy of a fall. I guess that's not the case right.

I'll pick up a case along with a new glass pane. Is there a best brand for the pane itself?

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
nm

Chair In A Basket fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Nov 22, 2016

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I thought the screen protector would absorb the damage to the screen, and the case would just prevent scratches and take a little of the energy of a fall. I guess that's not the case right.

I'll pick up a case along with a new glass pane. Is there a best brand for the pane itself?

Best not to ask that here, some people get really mad that others want to protect their screen with glass.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

There are many ways a screen will be damaged, but if it is done in such a way that it was dropped face-down, it is very unlikely even a glass screen protector would have done much to prevent it (never mind those terrible plastic film pieces of poo poo). A case will prevent shattered screens from edge drops because (as you noted), they absorb some of the energy of the drop. Additionally, many are designed with a bit of a lip so even if you drop a phone face-down, the screen never contacts the floor unless there's a rock or something there (in which case, again, a glass screen protector is unlikely to help).

Screen protectors are to prevent scratches, and maybe to make it so you don't slice your finger open on your already-shattered screen.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I've had a case and glass protector on my n5 since I got it and I have had to replace the protector after it shattered twice but the screen itself is still pristine

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

crack mayor posted:

Does the Pixel on Google Fi automatically share photos if you take advantage of cloud backup?

I don't know what you saw but uploads to Google Photos are private unless you specifically share them.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Got my Pixel in last night :toot: my live case came in on the same day, too!

I’m super happy with my Pixel, but the case is quite a bit clearly purple when it appeared very blue in the preview. Not the end of the world of course, and the case is super nice otherwise. My NFC button works better than I thought it would, but still isn’t as 100% perfect as a button should be. To lighten things up, the pixel itself is fantastic and everything I was expecting! Time to get used to android over iOS!

crack mayor
Dec 22, 2008

Cool. Thanks guys.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Looks like Huawei is discounting the Honor 8 for Black Friday - $300 for the 32gb and $350 for the 64gb.

I've been looking at both the Honor 8 and the Axon 7 (also $350 on Black Friday), with my main priorities being battery life and camera performance. I like the size of the Honor 8 but the glass back makes me nervous (I should mention I prefer to not use a case) - though that may just be from having an Xperia Z3 that would crack if you looked at it funny.

Just wondering if anyone had input on deciding between the two.

dphi fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Nov 22, 2016

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Are the Diztronic cases low profile? The Moto G4 is already almost as big as my pockets can take.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Are the Diztronic cases low profile? The Moto G4 is already almost as big as my pockets can take.

Yes, they're quite thin.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

crack mayor posted:

Occasionally Google Maps will notice that you've taken some photos at a certain location; and ask you, via notification, to upload them to Maps. You can turn this off from inside the Maps app, it's something like 'your content'. Google Photos doesn't share anything with anyone by default.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yes, they're quite thin.

Thanks. Guess I'm doing an Amazon order today.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

dphi posted:

Looks like Huawei is discounting the Honor 8 for Black Friday - $300 for the 32gb and $350 for the 64gb.

I've been looking at both the Honor 8 and the Axon 7 (also $350 on Black Friday), with my main priorities being battery life and camera performance. I like the size of the Honor 8 but the glass back makes me nervous (I should mention I prefer to not use a case) - though that may just be from having an Xperia Z3 that would crack if you looked at it funny.

Battery life on the Axon 7 is incredible, no complaints there. Camera is pretty decent, but if there is a weak point to the phone, it's that. Not sure about the Honor 8. For what it's worth re:camera, this is the best camera I've had on a phone.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

How's the Axon's signal reception? It seems to be the biggest common gripe with the phone (aside from minor non-stock design choices). Do you get good LTE and phone coverage?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

My wife has a Moto.g4 in a diztronic and it doesn't add much to the size of the phone.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

dphi posted:

The lg g5 is also on sale for black Friday. Thinking of picking one up

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

iamsosmrt posted:

How's the Axon's signal reception? It seems to be the biggest common gripe with the phone (aside from minor non-stock design choices). Do you get good LTE and phone coverage?

I've honestly not had problems with it, even before the big patch or update or w/e, but I get better signal then my nexus 6

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

The Slack Lagoon posted:

The lg g5 is also on sale for black Friday. Thinking of picking one up

Hmm.. hadn't even looked into the G5. Looks like battery life isn't stellar on that one. Has the modular add-in slot deal resulted in anything cool yet?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Are there particular places to have someone replace a part? It seems like all of the replacement glass for the Moto G4s comes from China, and wouldn't get here until the last half of December.

I might just call the used phone store here and see what they would charge.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

On the glass screen protector talk, I had dropped my LG G3 face down on tile before and it broke the screen protector but left the screen perfectly intact.

They work for normal drops and are always the first thing put on my phones the same day I get them.

As for cases, I am a fan of the Spigen Ultra Hybrid Clear cases as they keep the look of the phone somewhat, and aren't too bulky but provide plenty of protection all around the device.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does anyone know if a Pixel will stick to a magnetic car mount? I miss using mine.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

dphi posted:

Hmm.. hadn't even looked into the G5. Looks like battery life isn't stellar on that one. Has the modular add-in slot deal resulted in anything cool yet?

To be honest I don't know. I have no interest in the mods, but I checked out the g5 at local cell stores and it seems fast, nice build, and the Os seems fairly stock (looked at att, tmo, and Verizon versions during a break, since all three are next to my work).

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

dphi posted:

LG officially declared the modularity aspect a failure and won't be putting any more attention, effort, or time into it.

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/10/21/13362240/lg-g5-abandoning-modular-phone-android-strategy

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

At least you can replace the battery if it gets jacked up.

B&h is selling the g5 with a spare battery for 400, no tax if you're outside of NY

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

hooah posted:

Does anyone know if a Pixel will stick to a magnetic car mount? I miss using mine.

Probably not because it doesn't have the magnets for wireless/induction charging.

You could always get a case and use a magnetic plate, but that's your call.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm usually a caseless person but the back glass on the Pixel has me paranoid since there's no current way to fix it.

I do have one of the Spigen liquid crystal tpu cases which seems to work well enough and would be decent for when I'm worried about drop protection.

I wanted something more minimal though and just received the Bear Motion case today and it totally fits the bill. Open top and bottom, only slight lip on sides, and the buttons are exposed.

I'm sure it will do next to nothing on drops, but I'm only worried about protecting the back during every day use.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

The Slack Lagoon posted:

To be honest I don't know. I have no interest in the mods, but I checked out the g5 at local cell stores and it seems fast, nice build, and the Os seems fairly stock (looked at att, tmo, and Verizon versions during a break, since all three are next to my work).

The OS is really pretty far from stock, more in line with TouchWiz than anything else, though apparently it's a bit better on the G5. The biggest issue I've seen people report on it is that the battery life is really pretty abysmal and the "benefit" is the add-ons, which are already dead in the water with very few worthwhile. Not to mention you have to power the phone off to change them, which is a pain in the rear end.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

LG officially declared the modularity aspect a failure and won't be putting any more attention, effort, or time into it.

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/10/21/13362240/lg-g5-abandoning-modular-phone-android-strategy

lol

Didn't they even make it so you had to turn the phone off to swap attachments?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

My wife has the camera attachment and loves it. :shrug: It makes a nice handle and has a scroll wheel for zooming and a dedicated shutter button. Along with a small extra battery in it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The mistake LG made is that they tried doing something 'new' before ~Apple~ did it 'first.'

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The mistake LG made is that they tried doing something 'new' before ~Apple~ did it 'first.'

Steve's been dead a long time, maybe they will try something that dumb.

"What does this thing that everyone carries with them everywhere need?"
"Moving parts!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Stan Taylor posted:

Could be the auto tagging thing they do. It recognizes different faces and will use GPS data to organize things, while keeping it in your private photo collection. It's weird but cool to be able to search like "hiking" in Google photos and get a bunch of pictures from the park.

Google Photos is fantastic at what it does (:tinfoil: privacy theories aside) but what blows me away is that it can identify my 6 year old son from the pictures we took of him right after birth until today. It's madness.