Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I just re-watched this episode with some people who wanted to see it and what really annoyed me this time is Carl trashing the utter gently caress out of a working car to kill one zombie that they could have just walked away from, or gotten out and stabbed.

I mean there's times on this show they won't even waste bullets and he hosed up a car, again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

LadyPictureShow posted:

Seems like the kind of thing they could have Eugene on task for. Despite the fact he admitted he wasn't a scientist, has he ever explicitly stated what he did do pre-apocalypse? \

High school science teacher. I'm surprised I remember that because I had literally no idea what Carl and Enid were talking about with the armory.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I liked the episode, it was fun.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Steve Shultz posted:

I would 100% watch this show forever if its was just following Jesus's point of view because hes clearly the new most fun character.
Actually Jesus and Eugine together in his drum and bass van would be ideal.

Eugene and Jesus are also practically the only characters that have some form of personality that isn't purely some combination of Anger or Despair.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Blazing Ownager posted:

I just re-watched this episode with some people who wanted to see it and what really annoyed me this time is Carl trashing the utter gently caress out of a working car to kill one zombie that they could have just walked away from, or gotten out and stabbed.

I mean there's times on this show they won't even waste bullets and he hosed up a car, again.
Yeah that was irresponsible. All he needed to do was drive up to Enid and say, "Get in".

The best thing for Alexandria would have been Rick cutting off Carl's arm.
Can someone please explain what Carl had planned when he snuck in the back of the van.
1. he is caught and kllled
2. he is caught and killed and then Rick and people at Alexandria are punished
3. he is caught and dismembered, and pieces of Carl are delivered to Rick (this fits with my theory that TWD is using ideas from GoT)
4....profit?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

TV logic: trucks enter the compound and aren't looked at, they escape, sneak around ... things?
5 episodes later it will cliffhanger.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
I like to think that Carl didn't mean to hit that zombie he was just trying to drive to the saviors but after the whole fiasco with hitting things he saw Enid and just tried to roll with it

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

It's not rape unless I explicitly see it!

Luvcow posted:

I like to think that Carl didn't mean to hit that zombie he was just trying to drive to the saviors but after the whole fiasco with hitting things he saw Enid and just tried to roll with it

And people gotta remember that he lost his eye. They had him throwing darts at the start of the episode, probably to demonstrate that he has no depth perception. Maybe he wasn't trying to hit the walker. Maybe he didn't see how close the other thing was behind him.

Also explains him being clumsy on rollerskates.

Ultimately, the show needed a reason for carl and enid to walk and talk together.

Has Carl driven before? Is it possible that he's just a terrible (and inexperienced) driver?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I don't think Carl really knows how to drive.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

They could cut out enough of the long and slow scenes, like during the 90-minute Negan episode, for another sitcommy episode like the one where Rick and Daryl were chasing Jesus. Then they'd have a place for all the scenes where they cut away from the action to do character development because they have no idea when else to do it.

Synopsis: Rick and Maggie try to teach Carl and Enid how to drive. "Carl, that's the third car you've crashed today, and then you crashed a horse"

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Even with one eye and no experience, Carl is a better driver than the kid on Fear the Walking Dead.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Even with one eye and no experience, Carl is a better driver than the kid on Fear the Walking Dead.

I like how many car accidents happen in the walking dead universe despite there being no other cars on the road

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I've had more accidents on the farm than the road, knowing there's no traffic makes you careless

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

moist turtleneck posted:

I've had more accidents on the farm than the road, knowing there's no traffic makes you careless

I used to work in an area with a ton of farms, and there were more golf cart accidents on private properties than there were car accidents.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Eyochigan posted:

And people gotta remember that he lost his eye. They had him throwing darts at the start of the episode, probably to demonstrate that he has no depth perception. Maybe he wasn't trying to hit the walker. Maybe he didn't see how close the other thing was behind him.

Also explains him being clumsy on rollerskates.

Ultimately, the show needed a reason for carl and enid to walk and talk together.

Has Carl driven before? Is it possible that he's just a terrible (and inexperienced) driver?

Humans still have really good depth perception from one eye, especially in a moving visual field (i.e. driving) - changing object sizes, parallax, etc. Try closing one eye and reaching for things. You won't be much less accurate.
TWD was probably angling at this but it's dumb either way.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
When people aim down sights or try to accurately throw things they usually close their non-dominant eye. Your depth perception can actually gently caress up your aim because it gives you non-necessary information.

I guess if it's your non-dominant eye it could be different since you're throwing/shooting with your dominant hand and sighting with your non-dominant eye. Still doubtful though.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

King Vidiot posted:

When people aim down sights or try to accurately throw things they usually close their non-dominant eye.

The gently caress are you talking about? How many baseball pitchers do you see loving closing one eye? You close your eye when you look down a scope, but non-scope sights definitely not.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
There are plenty of people who only have one eye or who shoot off-eye. I know a left-handed guy with only a working right eye and he shoots righty. It's more likely Carl's not used to the new depth perception, I mean that's gotta be hell to get used to.

Blazing Ownager posted:

He also came close enough to Enid that he ran over her bike and you could see it still stuck under his car, which was a nice touch

Kelly posted:

I used to work in an area with a ton of farms, and there were more golf cart accidents on private properties than there were car accidents.
don't knock it till you've tried it, those things can really be fun if they're nice, or modified. Handy for pulling small trailers and towing stuff like wood splitters. :clint:

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 22, 2016

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Eyochigan posted:

comics: also they might be turning her into sophia from the comics, so quit moaning about the emo rollerskate stuff cause it may pay off later. and if there's no sophia, where does carl and his shovel fit into the narrative, right?

That's almost certainly the direction they're going I think. The little, comic spoilers, love triangle with Carl, Sophia and the whisperer girl could be strung out to like, half a season of grade A Walking Dead on the show, no way will they miss out on that just because no Sophia.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Vintersorg posted:

God this show is loving terrible.

But boy does it sell ads ads aaaads! Advertisers are flocking to it like homeless people over the last bottle of whiskey ever made.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blazing Ownager posted:

Cars are not rare. There are so many goddamn cars. There are millions and millions of cars. There are vast parking lots where cars are sent before being distributed to dealerships. Brand new cars just sitting there, in the hundreds. Hell, the pilot episode has Rick riding a horse past thousands and thousands of perfectly good cars on the freeway

I cannot stress how plentiful cars are in the Walking Dead universe

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah but not all of them have the magic type of gasoline needed to propel them

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Goodbody posted:

Cars are not rare. There are so many goddamn cars. There are millions and millions of cars. There are vast parking lots where cars are sent before being distributed to dealerships. Brand new cars just sitting there, in the hundreds. Hell, the pilot episode has Rick riding a horse past thousands and thousands of perfectly good cars on the freeway

And yet after wrecking said car he spends the rest of the time getting there on roller skates.

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I felt bad for that actor. I honestly think he asked to be killed off his character sucked so much.

ED: My other favorite thing about Fear the Walking Dead as the entire pitch was two families, one of them broken, had to cope together. They then proceeded to eliminate everyone from the broken home and other family so it's not about that at all anymore. Great job! (Seriously I think I remind people of this every other WD episode but no matter how bad WD gets, Fear is so, so, so much worse. It's so bad it's actually entertaining hate watching sometimes.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Nov 22, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Binary Logic posted:

Can someone please explain what Carl had planned when he snuck in the back of the van.
1. he is caught and kllled
2. he is caught and killed and then Rick and people at Alexandria are punished
3. he is caught and dismembered, and pieces of Carl are delivered to Rick (this fits with my theory that TWD is using ideas from GoT)
4....profit?

As much as I'd like to side with the show "Carl's being an idiot and going to get everyone killed, he's being a dumb kid" actually... I can't. Negan walks around without a care in the world in his compound, too busy showing off to watch his back and Carl's a decent shot, or was. I mean if these were real people acting this dumb, I'd give him a 75% chance of success, honestly. Worse yet, it's precisely the right move, and it's actually kind of sad Carl has to be the one doing it. If like 3-4 of them cooperated on this the odds would be like 99% that would be Negan dead by dawn.

Again this has nothing to do with the heroes being smart, only the villain being incredibly stupid.

ED: The only person who might pick up the mantle is Ogg's character, without either of them I can't see Negan's alliance lasting 5 minutes before all the factions claim the throne and begin shooting each other over it instead.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 22, 2016

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Blazing Ownager posted:

Fear is so, so, so much worse. It's so bad it's actually entertaining hate watching sometimes.

You know this is why I was watching s02, but jesus poo poo it's some of the worst TV I've ever watched. Like, off the top of my head right now I literally can't think of anything worse than FTWD(that I've personally watched).

I guess Chris getting a completely lame off-camera death was funny, though..

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Carl is going to try to shoot Negan and miss and then curse his cyclopean demeanor

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Johnny Truant posted:

The gently caress are you talking about? How many baseball pitchers do you see loving closing one eye? You close your eye when you look down a scope, but non-scope sights definitely not.

They don't close one eye because they don't throw with the ball in front of their face, they pitch from practice and muscle memory. And they're not "aiming" at anything, they throw to where they don't want the bat to be and the catcher catches the ball wherever it goes.

And yes you do sight down a gun sight with one eye. http://www.wikihow.com/Aim-a-Pistol

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Carl, Jesus, and Daryl going to shank Negan and prove once and for all that the strength of a man is in the length of his hair.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
hahahaa

Also I guess there's rumors that Carl is gonna go to college IRL

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
Still wiling to admit i like this show

:shrug:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Luvcow posted:

Still wiling to admit i like this show

It's fair to say that everyone in this thread still watching it likes watching it for whatever reason, but it's probably healthy to admit that it's not a good show by any stretch.

And it's okay to like bad things.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
So has negan been on the show since the first episode?

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
There are too many guys named Negan on this show.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Last Chance posted:

It's fair to say that everyone in this thread still watching it likes watching it for whatever reason, but it's probably healthy to admit that it's not a good show by any stretch.

And it's okay to like bad things.

No I actually think it's a good show. It's ok to admit you like things. Maybe I'm just old but sometimes people in this thread sound like a car full of middle school kids saying they hate everything but hey please leave this song on because its so bad we love to hate it, we know every single word and we all own the album.

I appreciate everyone's input because its often funny, insightful and interesting. You won't find me in other tviv threads here telling people the shows they like suck because if i think something sucks i just don't watch it and feel no need to tell people what they like is bad.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I think it's a good show that does a lot of annoyingly stupid poo poo. But I'm also ok with JDM chewing up as many scenes as they want to give him so maybe I'm in the minority

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

vyst posted:

I think it's a good show that does a lot of annoyingly stupid poo poo. But I'm also ok with JDM chewing up as many scenes as they want to give him so maybe I'm in the minority

This is a better way to say it than i did, thank you. I'm liking JDM more and more as the season goes, I think for me I just wanted to hate the dude after what I thought was a bad two episode arc of last years finale and this years premiere. And the Trevor guy is awesome and I wish he was in more scenes with JDM.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Luvcow posted:

No I actually think it's a good show. It's ok to admit you like things. Maybe I'm just old but sometimes people in this thread sound like a car full of middle school kids saying they hate everything but hey please leave this song on because its so bad we love to hate it, we know every single word and we all own the album.

I appreciate everyone's input because its often funny, insightful and interesting. You won't find me in other tviv threads here telling people the shows they like suck because if i think something sucks i just don't watch it and feel no need to tell people what they like is bad.

vyst posted:

Pretty much this. I'll bitch and whine about certain things in this show, but overall I enjoy it and like following along or I just wouldn't watch it.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

my wife had a question goons: Where are they getting all their gasoline? Like, there were a lot of trucks there plus cars etc. At what point do they just run out of useable gasoline? It doesn't look like they're scavenging any of it.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

The obvious answer is Z Nation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

my wife had a question goons: Where are they getting all their gasoline? Like, there were a lot of trucks there plus cars etc. At what point do they just run out of useable gasoline? It doesn't look like they're scavenging any of it.

They should be out of useable gas by now. Gasoline doesn't last for more than a few months.

You can't analyze TWD very much. The very premise of the show doesn't stand up to any sort of scrutiny.