Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i did a creative writing elective, started out getting distinctions and high distinctions at the beginning of semester and then as i attended more classes and tried to apply what i'd been taught my marks steadily dwindled with no explanation from the tutor until for the final project i got a conceded pass. that is how i learnt that the more you practice something the worse you get at it, and that you should never try

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Avshalom posted:

being able to write coherently is a surprisingly rare skill

I feel like a lot of it, in undergrad at least, is just rushing assignments and not actually actively reading what you write.

Like im sure these kids can write, they just haven't bothered too.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

un petit guerre

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

kustomkarkommando posted:

I'm sure the military will be keen to get the optimum value for their money

Might as well start a little war just to keep Putin on his toes

dude haven't you been following politics

we're gonna molotov-ribbentrop ukraine with the russians

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
the best elective i did was a studies of religion thing, it was all online and basically you just had to keep a diary about your insights on religion and the tutor had never had a jew in her class before so i just went on endlessly about the holocaust and got top marks pretty much by default

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

mooyashi posted:

I still probably can't write very well but I'm glad to have had no less than ten thousand hours on a platform of sorts talking to strangers wrt public speaking

i used to try to pick up women in bars by telling them i spent many hours per week with mentally disabled people, helping them build their communication skills via online classes

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
oh and the design history course where the teacher was a marx fanatic of a calibre i've never seen outside this very forum and he was just so excited to have someone of the same bloodline as his hero there to talk to about full communism now

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

*holocaust denier voice* I don't believe australian universities exist. where is the evidence?

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

boner confessor posted:

i used to try to pick up women in bars by telling them i spent many hours per week with mentally disabled people, helping them build their communication skills via online classes
yeah i always bring up this thread on first dates

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Avshalom posted:

yeah i always bring up this thread on first dates

relieved to see we all share something in common wrt our romantic lives

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
honestly avs just show them the keets or goats

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

my life is strictly compartmentalized

nobody I know irl knows that I post here, or that I have an internet connection

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i miss the goats :(

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
only something like 15-20% of first world people have 'proficient' language skills, able to comprehend compex thoughts and synthesize new ones. the bulk of people are on the adequate or competent level, where they can read and write ok. and 15-20% of people are functionally illiterate, in which they can eventually derive meaning from words if they go over it enough times but it's frustrating and difficult. anyway the last group of people includes everyone who dislikes my psots

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW6GVoQyQzI

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
when i get back to the city i'll make it clear to any and all potential partners that i expect a man to be able to defend me as valiantly as ziggy stardust the guinea fowl rooster defends his hen. if an echidna enters my territory i need my man to have the courage to honk at it until it leaves. if he discovers a delicious morsel, i need him to indicate it to me while making gentle encouraging toot toot sounds. in return i will be a gracious hen - when i bend down to eat, he can jump on my back and take me up the rear end

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

PupsOfWar posted:

also if we reduced GPA gating in professional programs

premeds are the flightiest, most breakdown-prone motherfuckers in the world

they all have messianic egos and are engaged in a course of study almost totally dependent on rote memorisation of huge blocks of data

continuous evaluation also sucks imo

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Avshalom posted:

being able to write coherently is a surprisingly rare skill

Found sorely in area lacking I've been.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

pictured: the prize

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

i had to lead a seminar and give a paper as a master's student and discovered that no printer in the entire faculty building was working because of a network problem

luckily i was psychologically broken enough by research to be able to regurgigate most of it without the paper

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

in every exam i took at a university level someone broke down and sobbed and left the room long before time

if they were a historian they were probably the lone person that failed in a given year

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Disinterested posted:

i had to lead a seminar and give a paper as a master's student and discovered that no printer in the entire faculty building was working because of a network problem

luckily i was psychologically broken enough by research to be able to regurgigate most of it without the paper
I once gave a paper that I hadn't looked at in months. Gave it mostly perfectly.

I could probably give that paper today if I wanted to.

I haven't looked at it in over a year.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

al gore's voice is real icky

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
one of my tutors got an unexpected insight into me when she ran into my father and i at a market in sydney. i said "hey laura this is my dad, dad this is laura, she's my typography tutor", she said "hi, nice to meet you!" and he affixed her with a wide-eyed adam lanza stare and without blinking or saying a word backed very slowly into the crowd and disappeared

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
it took me several minutes to find him and when i did find him he was outside stealing candy from the charity bowl

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i am sorry about your father who is apparently late-era homer simpson

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
my father describes himself as a "jewish christian zen buddhist subatomic quantum sufi mystic"

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Someone wrote BENCH BITCH on one of those benches with a memorial plaque outside my office

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

boner confessor posted:

This took me more than once but bravo

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
I used to pick up women in bars by working at one.

Nobody does it for the hours.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
I met my lady at a bar eleven years ago. We really hit it off but went our separate ways that night.

She went on to get married and live hundreds of miles away and I took a job at said bar.

Years after her divorce she found herself in my tiny town on business and came back in.

We've been together since 2012

:unsmith:

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
here he is trying to buy comics in pyongyang with american money

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uxpvhBGxLY

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

rear end struggle posted:

here he is trying to buy comics in pyongyang with american money

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uxpvhBGxLY

that preview image lmao

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I once gave a paper that I hadn't looked at in months. Gave it mostly perfectly.

I could probably give that paper today if I wanted to.

I haven't looked at it in over a year.

Yeah I could probably give it with like five minutes of prep today

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

The guy I mostly gave that for and who gave me a ton of advice on it is dead now rip him

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Academia is a mental illness

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
it's sort of looking like the council laws on keeping goats in urban areas aren't as strict as i thought they were...

:getin:

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

Badger of Basra posted:

Academia is a mental illness

There are all sorts of generalizations when it comes to attitude and tipping in retail and restaurants but people who never left college tend to be the worst all around imo

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Avshalom posted:

it's sort of looking like the council laws on keeping goats in urban areas aren't as strict as i thought they were...

:getin:

Those laws were eaten by goats years ago for some reason...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mooyashi posted:

There are all sorts of generalizations when it comes to attitude and tipping in retail and restaurants but people who never left college tend to be the worst all around imo
nice post-av combo

• Locked thread