Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Primpin and Pimpin
Sep 2, 2011

Man, I am devastatingly inadequate at creative building but I am having the time of my life. Making a tiny little fairy tale themed slushie shop in the Big Tree Scenario thing was probably the highlight of my game time so far, right after my nondescript restroom that works pretty well most places. I think the one thing I would like but may not work is the foliage placement from Zoo Tycoon, where you can get variable trees as you click around. Maybe have it as an option just for me, please Frontier? Also, I wish we could make food courts with actual tables and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Maybe a screamride expansion would fit this game nicely. I mean, destroying what you can painstakingly make with the building editor would be a pretty fun mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4E9j6mEEx8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3cZOlbR1o0

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

TheGoatFeeder posted:

This is great. How do you add more than one entrance turnstile thing? In the sandbox I opened you just got one and I couldn't see where you were able to end more, because I wanted 3 or 4 adjacent to each other like yours.

Shops and Facilities > switch from "Blueprints" to "Custom" > Park Entrances

The best part is that since they are part of Shops and Facilities rather then Paths, you can add them to a building's blueprint and easily move them around.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Downloaded Planet Coaster. Very excited.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

This game's awesome! I wish it had more rides other than coasters though, even just stuff like arcades and bouncy castles and stuff.

I miss the water park stuff from RCT3! I want to build awesome pools and water slides and stuff!

I wish you could filter scenery and building pieces better, like by theming or even just Wood, Concrete, etc.

Other than that I'm having a great time building my theme park/spending 6 hours attaching greebles to bathrooms.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Luigi Thirty posted:

I wish you could filter scenery and building pieces better, like by theming or even just Wood, Concrete, etc.

You can do this, although yeah it's a bit hard to notice. There's a filter option at the top part of the bottom bar though when you are looking at different objects and you can totally filter by theme or by material. There is even a search bar so you can type in 'castle' for example and all the castle wall stuff will come up.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Yeah, I am loving Planet Coaster; however, while I have infinite patience when it comes to designing a roller coaster and getting it perfect, I have negative infinite patience for designing restroom stalls and food shops--or even the cosmetic touches to roller coasters.

I mean, I really wish they'd included more blueprints, because, even if I wanted to spend 2 hours making the perfect poo poo house--I don't--loving around with the placements on all the little pieces you have to arrange makes me want to stab out my eyes.

But, I mean, as loud as I just was about that, this is a tiny complaint and it's a really fun game.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I love what happens when autocomplete can't quite connect two normal railroads.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Luigi Thirty posted:

This game's awesome! I wish it had more rides other than coasters though, even just stuff like arcades and bouncy castles and stuff.

I miss the water park stuff from RCT3! I want to build awesome pools and water slides and stuff!

Other than that I'm having a great time building my theme park/spending 6 hours attaching greebles to bathrooms.

I'm holding out a vain hope that we'll get Bumper Cars for flat rides sooner rather than later/never.

As for filtering. there ARE filters. Themes, Materials, "Setting", and properties AKA Triggerable or text edit. But I find myself having to turn them off a lot, or realizing after I've set a zillion individual themes that certain pieces I want are still not there.

Sometimes it's something obvious in hindsight like "Oh, there is only such thing as MODERN shop signs unless I want a generic 'food' sign'. Other times it's :wtc: like selecting pirate theme in career mode, and realizing according to filters that pirates never invented walls, rootops, or windows (except for sail canopy's being listed under "walls")

ZombieLenin posted:

Yeah, I am loving Planet Coaster; however, while I have infinite patience when it comes to designing a roller coaster and getting it perfect, I have negative infinite patience for designing restroom stalls and food shops--or even the cosmetic touches to roller coasters.

I mean, I really wish they'd included more blueprints, because, even if I wanted to spend 2 hours making the perfect poo poo house--I don't--loving around with the placements on all the little pieces you have to arrange makes me want to stab out my eyes.

But, I mean, as loud as I just was about that, this is a tiny complaint and it's a really fun game.

Dumb idiot newbie's pro-tip: In what should have been obvious in hindsight for me, scenery closer to the Queue is worth more Queue Scenery points :downs: To the point that the difference can be more than if you had never built it in the first place when it comes to smaller chunks of scenery.

I realized this when moving over a lazy quick Mermaid fountain ringed with skull lamp posts setup I moved to be on the opposite side of my Exit path, rather than inside the curve of my queue but clipping over the path edges dipped me down from 80+% to 60%ish.

Seriously guys, I moved it all of *Checks grid* Two and a half tiles, so that's about 10 meters tops. You can still see it clearly from your queue... Fine, I'll move over the ride exit path so you can be close enough to dip your dick into it.

EDIT: I just experimented by moving it back over to the opposite side of the new exit path (so, THREE tiles away) and the impact isn't as big as it was while I was setting stuff up in the first place (It dipped from 100%, to 93% for a long moment before suddenly deciding on 95%. Rather than being a drastic clear 15%-20% difference). And a test deletion dropped me down to 93%

So apparently, moving my fountain 12 meters farther away upsets customers as much or more than deleting it entirely :shepface:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 22, 2016

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

ZombieLenin posted:

You can also just saunter on down to the steam workshop and grab up blueprints for the things you need that other people have created as well!

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Apparently the first post-launch free update for the game will come around the holidays.

quote:

Greetings coaster friends,

We've only just released Planet Coaster and we hope that you're all having a blast playing the game, but we've already got some big news for you!

Since the festive month of December is soon upon us, we are preparing a special holiday update for you! This free content update will be like an early Christmas present for our beloved community. It's going to be filled with a variety of goodies, of which we'll be sharing the details closer its release time. However, one special feature is something that we want YOU to decide!

You, as a community, get to vote on which new flat ride will be included in this holiday update. We've narrowed your options down to these four, and we can't wait to see which one will be your favourite pick!

Classic Ferris Wheel - a theme park trademark, standing 30m tall and holding 20 gondolas.
Sizzer - Spinning, suspended grasscutter ride that whips you in every direction!
Trihorse - A three-armed, rotating, swinging, and suspended vintage ride, raising its arms up to an angle of 40 degrees.
Collider - Retro sci-fi ride with 20 swinging gondolas on a horizontal Ferris Wheel that rises to an angle of 87 degrees.

We're sure Yule love this holiday update and we're looking forward to seeing your choice of ride, I’m sure it'll be a cracker!

Go here to vote if interested...If I understand correctly, the options are:

1. Medium sized classic ferris wheel
2. ?
3. Troika
4. Enterprise

https://forums.planetcoaster.com/showthread.php/17308-Planet-Coaster-Holiday-Update

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 22, 2016

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

You can do this, although yeah it's a bit hard to notice. There's a filter option at the top part of the bottom bar though when you are looking at different objects and you can totally filter by theme or by material. There is even a search bar so you can type in 'castle' for example and all the castle wall stuff will come up.

I knew about the search box but not the advanced filters :doh: Thanks.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I'm not seeing Go Karts or Bumper Cars/boats :mad:

Also, I certainly hope we get more than one flat ride for Xmas :v:

(I just know the Sci-Fi ride is going to lose :negative:)

EDIT: I loved the "Scrambler" as a kid but we have next to no Sci-Fi future rides. And the Rocktopus is basically a better version of it anyways.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Nov 22, 2016

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Dante80 posted:

Go here to vote if interested...If I understand correctly, the options are:

1. Medium sized classic ferris wheel
2. ?

Google says a Sizzer is this: http://l7.alamy.com/zooms/9c80501ad7184ea7adea34dc5b96b9c3/people-enjoying-the-sizzler-ride-at-the-sound-of-music-festival-at-e53ry7.jpg

It's basically the "Twister" from RCT1, which for no reason I present to you in lego form:

(turns out every RCT1 ride has a lego version :swoon:)

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Well of that's not an argument for custom assets I don't know what is. :colbert:

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Voted for Collider. Come on :goon: !

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
arcade/carnival games of chance would be a pro expansion

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

VR ring toss

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Doorknob Slobber posted:

arcade/carnival games of chance would be a pro expansion

YES I want the hooky duck game

RadioDog
May 31, 2005
Ring toss with adjustable odds ...

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Placeable bottles...

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
How are you supposed to set up priority passes? I've been experimenting with it and everyone just seems to get stuck at the priority pass entrance.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I don't know if you are but I kept putting them in backwards.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Harminoff posted:

I don't know if you are but I kept putting them in backwards.

oooohhhhhhhhh

well that explains my problem.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I have 0 creative ability, but it's going okay so far :shobon:

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I have spent a, frankly, embarrassing amount of time learning how to build well enough to make this garish abomination of a park entrance:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Wallet posted:

I have spent a, frankly, embarrassing amount of time learning how to build well enough to make this garish abomination of a park entrance:

I love the neon lights!!!

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
That's loving awesome. Now I wish to make good things.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Are there any good tutorial videos on getting coaster basics down pat? I'm starting off on The Great Tree and am trying to get something made that meets the challenge.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Wallet posted:

I love this because it's a kind of style I like, which is also simple enough for me to steal work out for myself.

Specific items tangent. Does anyone have some good advice for using the "Glass canopy" parts that doesn't look slightly janky? Where it's strut lines up loves to be slightly floating off compared to any walls, roofs, or support I try to attach them too.

Even if I give up on building edit, say gently caress it, and make some glass canopy bits as a "Separate building" So I'm allowed to actually use the advanced movement on them, they generally feel somewhat off with the walls/roofs/pillars I try to use them alongside of so far. (I really need to wrap my head around how much building... is faking it and sliding together separate entities so you can get angles not allowed while simply "Editing a building")

Plus there is no "Corner" options for the glass canopies :saddowns: Even if I did fiddle with pathing in grid mode and ride queues/exits to accommodate a pair of them forming a full arch.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 23, 2016

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Hello and welcome to my park!

I spend way too much time doing things like this, putting rocks in a pond.

Someday I might even put a ride in!

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

WebDog posted:

Are there any good tutorial videos on getting coaster basics down pat? I'm starting off on The Great Tree and am trying to get something made that meets the challenge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9k2zYAbS3k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzezAzkXYvQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06qUAY_CWPc

Mind you, even after watching them I have a hard time making a coaster that doesn't turn people into paste :negative:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

MadJackMcJack posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9k2zYAbS3k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzezAzkXYvQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06qUAY_CWPc

Mind you, even after watching them I have a hard time making a coaster that doesn't turn people into paste :negative:

That second video where the guy is calling momentum gravity is killing me.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
This question might have limited application because it looks lovely and there are better options, but is there a way to force a space between two adjacent paths, on a grid? I sort of understand how to avoid junctioning them when one is a freeform path, but I can't run them on a grid alongside each other while keeping a space in between, except for some random spots like next to the intersection. I'm trying to make a fenced in food court with a couple gaps in the fence for entrances. I wish the rotate junction button worked in grid placement mode and would just filter through all available intersections with the surrounding grid.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbD6SMZeJX4

jesus christ

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

UP AND ADAM posted:

This question might have limited application because it looks lovely and there are better options, but is there a way to force a space between two adjacent paths, on a grid? I sort of understand how to avoid junctioning them when one is a freeform path, but I can't run them on a grid alongside each other while keeping a space in between, except for some random spots like next to the intersection. I'm trying to make a fenced in food court with a couple gaps in the fence for entrances. I wish the rotate junction button worked in grid placement mode and would just filter through all available intersections with the surrounding grid.

I'm not sure how much this will help, but if you try holding control while placing the path down, it should stop it from autoconnecting with nearby paths. I haven't tried it, but I'm guessing if I'm right you could do the outline along the edge and then fill in the interior

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
:drat: that is cool

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I went into the beta playing the "old way" that I used to do RCT games - play the career mode and just that. It was ok and fun but I wasn't that huge on the included scenarios. I decided to give Challenge Mode a try the other night and holy poo poo now the game is amazing. I've been meticulously working on my "The Enchanted Forest" fantasy park and it's turning out great. I just made my first roller coaster and I LOVE the way building works in this game. Can't wait to do a Sci-Fi park next!

Also, great to see those new ride choices. The Sizzer is more well known as the Scrambler (my Six Flags STL has it branded Sha-zam currently) at many parks/county fairs. The Collider is also pretty cool as I've always known it as the Highland Fling. Anyways, whatever choice is done it should be pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I am having serious issues with saving not working in this game. I quit the game a few minutes ago, went to load it back up and its telling me I have two saves from last night, none from this morning but I have to choose one or the other.