Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Reminder: A Democratic sweep of all 12 potentially competitive Senate races in 2018 results in a net gain of D +1 Senate seats and Republicans maintaining control of the chamber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Business Gorillas posted:

- i want democrats to show people that they empathize with their wants and needs to provide for their families (ideally through some sort of new new deal involving revitalizing infrastructure or pivoting former industry cities to tackle green energy) and start working on divorcing the idea that a hard day's work is necessary for a good pay. we need a basic income as the current situation is untenable and you're right, everyone can't have a job.

you don't seem to realize that a democratic federal government, even if they were not being blocked by an obstructionist opposition party, cannot simply meddle in urban economics directly which is a state affair

for someone who has a lot of ideas about what the government should do you sometimes display shocking levels of ignorance as to how government actually functions

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Venuz Patrol posted:

the democratic plan was to set up high scale midwestern infrastructure projects across the nation to provide jobs to struggling rural neighborhoods while also significantly improving their livelihoods. republicans killed these projects because they don't think it's the government's job to help people. the white progressive movement does not have an explanation for how their midwestern infrastructure projects would get around this issue.

I'll be perfectly honest, I don't really have an answer for this either other than "torch the Constitution, salt the earth, and restart."

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
here is what i demand the democrat party provide

-puppies
-kittens
-rainbows

that they fail to produce these policies demonstrates they do not care about the working class

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

boner confessor posted:

here is what i demand the democrat party provide

-puppies
-kittens
-rainbows

that they fail to produce these policies demonstrates they do not care about the working class

I'm pretty sure they've produced the last one... too bad republicans are going to get it reversed. :(

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
One of Trump's Propoganda guys is going after Elon Musk:

https://stopelonfromfailingagain.com/

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
also keep in mind the only reason the new deal got off the ground was because it was hilariously racist and a ton of modern institutional inequality such as redlining is the direct result of 1920's era progressive policy on the federal level. like, the federal government invented the long term amortized mortgage, bringing homeownership to the american middle class (good) and then said "hey black people, jews, etc - you do not get these mortgages" (bad)

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
One hope I have, and it's not completely unrealistic, is that Trump is such a disaster and pisses so many people off, that it results in higher than usual Dem turnout and lower Rep turnout in the 2018 midterms, Dems take back some state legislatures and make significant gains in the House and don't lose as many senate seats as feared. And then in 2020 take back house, senate, and the white house.

In fact there's part of me that thinks in the long run we'll get back control of congress and more state legislatures sooner with Trump as president than Hillary. (who even if she was an A+ president still probably would have left people disappointed since she couldn't do much with an obstructionist republican congress).

Biggest fear I have though is more voter suppression laws will be passed which will make this scenario less likely to happen.

Still, I like to hope.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Gringostar posted:

Just because things no longer matter doesn't mean they didn't matter 5 years ago when Trump wasn't a thing.

hmm, i don't think it's a case of "things don't matter" and rather that political common sense has been shown to be wrong.

quote:

Also, :lol: I give you a bullet point response to your question and all you can come up with is regdate poo poo when I'm trying to fix poo poo while understanding that just going "full unions now" isn't the magic bullet that idiots seem to think it is.

no, you gave me a bullet point list of excuses and doomsaying, when my question was literally

quote:

why is your doomsaying an excuse for obama to back out of his campaign promises when labor needed him?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

the generation that was successful due to their parent's struggles, internalized the lessons of the culture wars, and then used those lessons to cement their power and pillage our future for their gain absolutely deserves all of the blame it gets

So your solution to the Democrats turning off Trump voters by negativity and not listening to them is to... double down on it?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Condiv posted:

hmm, i don't think it's a case of "things don't matter" and rather that political common sense has been shown to be wrong.

no, you gave me a bullet point list of excuses and doomsaying, when my question was literally

Because what could Obama even have done with such an obstructionist congress?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

theblackw0lf posted:

One hope I have, and it's not completely unrealistic, is that Trump is such a disaster and pisses so many people off, that it results in higher than usual Dem turnout and lower Rep turnout in the 2018 midterms, Dems take back some state legislatures and make significant gains in the House and don't lose as many senate seats as feared. And then in 2020 take back house, senate, and the white house.

Could be. The pattern seems to be that every disgruntled voter votes "anti-establishment" which in practice means against the sitting president.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Covok posted:

he didn't need congress to walk with picketers :confused:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Condiv posted:

he didn't need congress to walk with picketers :confused:

Perhaps I misunderstood your complaint. I thought you were referring to some law he didn't pass. What is your specific complaint?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

BarbarianElephant posted:

So your solution to the Democrats turning off Trump voters by negativity and not listening to them is to... double down on it?

i can still think the boomers are bad people but want to work with them for pursuing a common goal (better paying jobs and a more secure economic future)

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Covok posted:

actually used the bully pulpit and shift the public eye to exactly what the republicans were doing

Covok
May 27, 2013

i can still think the boomers are bad people but want to work with them for pursuing a common goal (better paying jobs and a more secure economic future)

Boomers really are the "no, gently caress you dad" generation.

"We fought facists and saved democracy, you lazy, entitled fucks" -- greatest generation

"gently caress you, dad! You weren't that great. I'll elect a facist just to mess with your ghost" -- boomers

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

actually used the bully pulpit and shift the public eye to exactly what the republicans were doing

What if I told you he tried but the media and public didn't care?

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Condiv posted:

That's literally the same thing. "Things don't matter" is the loving definition of "political common sense is wrong".

Condiv posted:

Because he and democrats were toxic after republicans swept the 2010 election only a few months before hand.

Like I get that you're not very bright and are only attempting to fishmech your way out of this now by arguing semantics but holy poo poo you really need to get the basics of context and why Obama actually marching with them had a huge potential to blow up in their faces while totally ignoring that he gave interviews in support of those very same protesters you claim he abandoned.

Joe-Bob
May 12, 2005

GO BIG RED
College Slice

Gort posted:

Does it bug anyone else that the President is protected by the SS

You are, after all, posting on SA.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

might as well not bother doing anything then *throws rock and contemplatively watches it skip across the lake*

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Covok posted:

Perhaps I misunderstood your complaint. I thought you were referring to some law he didn't pass. What is your specific complaint?

i think it might have made a difference if obama marched with picketers in wisconsin, and that even if it was unlikely that that doesn't excuse obama for skipping out on an easy to satisfy campaign promise

gringostar thinks obama marching with picketers wouldn't have made a difference, and that him issuing a statement was enough

that's the current state of the argument

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/p...s-a7432421.html

The newly-enacted overtime rules are going to be one of the first on the chopping block. Good job voting yourselves a pay cut dumbasses!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Farking Bastage posted:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/p...s-a7432421.html

The newly-enacted overtime rules are going to be one of the first on the chopping block. Good job voting yourselves a pay cut dumbasses!

Estimates are 20 million Trump voters will see an immediate pay cut.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Trabisnikof posted:

That is some pretty god drat low hanging fruit and every Democrat near a mic would do well to make the phrase "Trump Pay Cut" their new slogan.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Condiv posted:

i think it might have made a difference if obama marched with picketers in wisconsin, and that even if it was unlikely that that doesn't excuse obama for skipping out on an easy to satisfy campaign promise

gringostar thinks obama marching with picketers wouldn't have made a difference, and that him issuing a statement was enough

that's the current state of the argument

Why would Scott Walker reverse course on something he campaigned on when he was beholden to the Koch's who just handed Obama a huge defeat by astoturfing the tea party movement just because Obama showed up and walked with protesters?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Gringostar posted:

That's literally the same thing. "Things don't matter" is the loving definition of "political common sense is wrong".

uh, no. things still matter, just not the things you thought mattered.

quote:

Because he and democrats were toxic after republicans swept the 2010 election only a few months before hand.

Like I get that you're not very bright and are only attempting to fishmech your way out of this now by arguing semantics but holy poo poo you really need to get the basics of context and why Obama actually marching with them had a huge potential to blow up in their faces while totally ignoring that he gave interviews in support of those very same protesters you claim he abandoned.

obama was toxic? that's why picketers wanted him there with them right? cause he was toxic? you're utterly ridiculous.

also, how was interviews in support of them supposed to be helpful if obama was so toxic that showing his face with picketers would've sunk them?

edit: gringostar, why have you been peddling bullshit?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michael-klonsky-phd/president-obama-where-are_b_827511.html

quote:

“There’s a bully pulpit there that the president has, and it needs to be used, I don’t think you can turn the cheek on this one.” — Rep. Raul Grijalva (D., Ariz.), a co-chairman of the House Progressive Caucus.

Forbes is calling this “the final battle in the war against unions.” It is no longer just a Wisconsin battle, but a national one. However, it appears that President Obama has chosen to remain on the sidelines, politically triangulating but saying little Thursday’s Wall Street Journal reports:

“President Barack Obama, after initially lending his support to organized labor, has stepped back from the fights spreading in state capitals from Wisconsin to Tennessee, leaving union officials divided about his tactics.’”

Teacher unions in particular are currently resisting a nationally coordinated attack by a group of Republican and Tea Party governors who are backed up by conservative billionaires like the Koch brothers. They’ve made it clear that no compromise is possible and that they want nothing less than the end of unions and collective bargaining. Teachers and thousands of other union members are hitting the streets this week in state capitals across the country, hoping that the protests that began in Madison, Wisconsin (or was it in Cairo’s Tahrir Square?) will have national consequences.

With 75,000 Wisconsin workers surrounding the state capitol last week, the president cautiously expressed concern. He told TV station WTMU in Milwaukee:

“Some of what I’ve heard coming out of Wisconsin where you’re just making it harder for collective bargaining, generally seems like more of an assault on unions.”

On February 16, Education Secretary Arne Duncan echoed Obama’s tepid support for teachers,

“Governors across the country are facing, you know, tough budget issues — as the president is here — but we have to support our hardworking teachers and make sure that we do everything we can to help them do the critically important work they do every single day in the classroom,” Duncan said. He called for compromise on both sides.

“Teachers unions have to move, management has to move, school boards have to move, our Department of Education has to move,” said Duncan initially. But after the union concessions were rejected out of hand by Wisconsin’s Governor Walker, Duncan, like the President, went into a shell.

Even as 14 of his own party’s state legislators were risking arrest by leaving the state and boycotting the vote on the union-busting bill, the President and top Democratic party leaders remained silent.

President Obama came to Ohio this week, where thousands of union workers were protesting Governor John Kasich’s union-busting legislation. In Cleveland, Obama gave a long speech about helping business and encouraging “innovation,” but said not a word about the big protest demonstrations that were going on over in Columbus at the same time.

dems were begging president obama to get more involved, and he ducked the fight.

you really didn't learn anything from your hillary permatoxx did you?

Condiv fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Nov 22, 2016

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

TheScott2K posted:

That is some pretty god drat low hanging fruit and every Democrat near a mic would do well to make the phrase "Trump Pay Cut" their new slogan.

if only they did this during the campaign!!!

Joe-Bob
May 12, 2005

GO BIG RED
College Slice

Trabisnikof posted:

Looks like that overtime rule is going into effect at the start of next month. They'll get it for a couple of months plus however long it takes to get repealed. Nice optics there, guys.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ah but see before the election Trump said he just wanted to adjust the rules for small businesses not repeal it. So "Trump Pay Cut" would get a pants-on-fire rating from politifart

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

Ah but see before the election Trump said he just wanted to adjust the rules for small businesses not repeal it. So "Trump Pay Cut" would get a pants-on-fire rating from politifart

*takes off cowboy hat and starts stomping on it while screaming BERNIEBROS*

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Joe-Bob posted:

Looks like that overtime rule is going into effect at the start of next month. They'll get it for a couple of months plus however long it takes to get repealed. Nice optics there, guys.

Spoiler: What is going to happen is that wage theft will still occur because employers know it will be repealed. They are DOL regulations, so they can do it on day 1 and employees are not going to risk their jobs over an extra $150 when they will be losing it anyway.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Trabisnikof posted:

"democrats should have done X"

"they did do X"

"they didn't do it hard enough!"

"they did it pretty hard"

"well it wouldn't have mattered if they had done X anyway"

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

You're right but we still need to look forward now to some degree. Making his lovely record stick to him is essential in opposing Trump in 2018 and 2020.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

*takes off cowboy hat and starts stomping on it while screaming BERNIEBROS*

No one mentioned anything about Sanders or his supporters.

Why must you constantly try and derail a nice conversation (this time about the challenges of calling out Trump when he lies) with an attempt to start another fight over the primary?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

oh my mistake, i mistook the tone of your post and thought you were making a joke

just for future conversation, the site is actually "politifact" and not "politifart"

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Condiv posted:

uh, no. things still matter, just not the things you thought mattered.

:lol: Fishmech gona fishmech.

Condiv posted:

obama was toxic? that's why picketers wanted him there with them right? cause he was toxic? you're utterly ridiculous.

also, how was interviews in support of them supposed to be helpful if obama was so toxic that showing his face with picketers would've sunk them?

They were already sunk, or did you miss the part where Walker campaigned on loving unions and won?

Again:

Gringostar posted:

Why would Scott Walker reverse course on something he campaigned on when he was beholden to the Koch's who just handed Obama a huge defeat by astoturfing the tea party movement just because Obama showed up and walked with protesters?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Gringostar posted:

an outpouring of public support bolstered by the president may have forced his hand. why are you pretending obama was toxic and couldn't help? oh yeah, you're trying to make excuses for him

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

iospace posted:

They're still dying. The brand is toxic. The people who voted for him can't afford to stay there, and the people who have the money to are staying away.

Except for all the diplomats and other foreign interests who think it can help them curry favor with the vain orange rear end in a top hat. Oh, and the fact that Trump's very clearly going to be keeping close with his kids who will run his business while having full access to all the information and influence of the most powerful person on the planet.

Trump's family is about to have the 4-8 most profitable years imaginable.

Madkal posted:

So what's the most likely outcome for Trump from his supporters when they realize that he didn't carry out any of his promises like:

1. build a wall
2. Throw Hillary in prison
3. Bring back the coal industry?

Part of me looks at the states and worries that Trump and the GOP have created a monster and something bad might happen when that monster finds out it has been lied to.

He'll blame Democrats and others, the base will accept it, and he'll win reelection when Democrats run someone boring as hell and millions don't vote because of sweeping voter suppression over the next 2-4 years. Maybe if the Dems can run some (white) salt-of-the-earth candidate with Candidate Obama levels of charisma they'll turn these people against Trump but you're talking about people who by and large just want to hear easy and hopeful lies far more than difficult truths.

Venuz Patrol posted:

the democratic plan was to set up high scale midwestern infrastructure projects across the nation to provide jobs to struggling rural neighborhoods while also significantly improving their livelihoods. republicans killed these projects because they don't think it's the government's job to help people. the white progressive movement does not have an explanation for how their midwestern infrastructure projects would get around this issue.

And Democrats didn't hammer this, or speak about it much (if at all) during the election. Because Democrats are determined to be utterly incompetent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

oh my mistake, i mistook the tone of your post and thought you were making a joke

just for future conversation, the site is actually "politifact" and not "politifart"

I'm serious politifact smells like poo poo.

• Locked thread