Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

torturemyballs posted:

Did I understand it correctly yesterday that the Pixel C won't receive the same updates as the Pixel phones because they're Pixel exclusive? Is the Pixel C not Pixely enough? :( I like the C dangit
This hasn't been confirmed either way but it seems likely to me that the Pixel C is not considered part of the new Pixel programme and won't get that stuff any earlier than the 5X/6P.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Pixel C is just an odd duck because it wasn't supposed to run android at all.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

What would be the recommended tablet for a kind of lounge room console for my parents? Something that wouldn't really go anywhere or be unplugged, just sit there and control netflix and chromecast and spotify.

Kindle Fire?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Sereri posted:

Always has but since the last update, it's even in the Amazon app store.

Ok thanks, I sort of assumed it was but wanted to double check.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

MikeJF posted:

What would be the recommended tablet for a kind of lounge room console for my parents? Something that wouldn't really go anywhere or be unplugged, just sit there and control netflix and chromecast and spotify.

Kindle Fire?

If it's just for that you can get a Samsung or Asus tablet if you don't want to mess to get the play store working. At the other hand the fire tablets are cheap enough to consider messing with them.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Is the new Kindle Fire HD 8 a worthwhile upgrade over the Nexus 7 (2013)? I don't mind putting the effort in to add the Google Play Store.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Well, great. No new Nexus (Pixel?) 7 in sight :(

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Hughmoris posted:

Is the new Kindle Fire HD 8 a worthwhile upgrade over the Nexus 7 (2013)? I don't mind putting the effort in to add the Google Play Store.

No, from what I hear, it's still not as a good build quality. It's not like it's significantly more powerful.

If your nexus is still going strong, it's still a higher build quality. I have a kindle fire HD 10x and it just feels like a bigger, as cheap kindle fire (the 50 dollar model). It works for watching videos and reading giant pdfs but the nexus 7 is still one of the highest build qualities I've ever had my hands on.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I'm glad I put a new battery in my Nexus 7 2013 since it's gonna be around a while.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Rexxed posted:

I'm glad I put a new battery in my Nexus 7 2013 since it's gonna be around a while.

Where did you find a replacement? I might just order one since it's really easy to change it when mine starts failing. My N7 is still working flawlessly and only some days has less battery life but it's always some streaming app wich causes that. It lasts like forever when I set it on airplane mode and just watch movies or videos. Even with wifi, it lasts me a good 3-4 days with some forums reading and a few chapters watched via netflix.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

https://www.aliexpress.com has good value shenzhen specials for sale.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Guillermus posted:

Where did you find a replacement? I might just order one since it's really easy to change it when mine starts failing. My N7 is still working flawlessly and only some days has less battery life but it's always some streaming app wich causes that. It lasts like forever when I set it on airplane mode and just watch movies or videos. Even with wifi, it lasts me a good 3-4 days with some forums reading and a few chapters watched via netflix.

I just picked one up on ebay, the specific seller seems to be out of them. My old one was bloated due to long term sitting on a Qi charger heating it up or something.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/17/13289506/lenovo-yoga-book-review

Discuss.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I like how she spends the entire review complaining about how bad the keyboard is, then lists it as "Good Stuff"

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Before I read that link can I assume it's rated betwen 7 and 8 like everything ever rated by the Verge?

edit:

Yes!

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

It's the Pocket Yoga with ten years additional R&D (and big leaps in ultra low-power chipset utility), plus some crossbreeding with the Ideapad U1 and U110. Full Wacom support is a good choice to have kept. I do wish any companies were still working on that ultra-wide mini form factor like the Vaio P line, but the vast majority of those use cases are probably handled well enough by mini tablets anyway.

It looks pretty elegant, and seems like a blast for casual use, but the chipset and keyboard put hard limits on any productivity even with the Windows model. They could've gone for bonus weird points with an OLED display, but IPS is understandable since it's better for color accuracy and brighter environments while costing less to source.

There isn't a lot to discuss. I mean, what you see is what you get, right? Verge reviews aren't really worth reading unless they've got some exclusive deal, anyway. Anandtech takes longer to get content out, but they're worth reading if you're curious about a particular device.

e: timeline

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 19, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Before I read that link can I assume it's rated betwen 7 and 8 like everything ever rated by the Verge?

edit:

Yes!
Hey now, the Galaxy Note 7 had a 9.3 rating until it started injuring people daily and they retracted the score (but kept the glowing review)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Hey now, the Galaxy Note 7 had a 9.3 rating until it started injuring people daily and they retracted the score (but kept the glowing review)

I mean, come on, they'd already been paid for the review...

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
The new home app has some screenshots in it that look like they're from a tablet with a similar form factor to the Nexus 7 but with different bezels and camera location. The clock shows 4:20 but it's definitely not a Nexus 10 (or 4 for that matter) so maybe there's a new tablet coming?

Of course it could just be a generic render.

e: poo poo it might be a Nexus 9, I always forget about that one.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

butt dickus posted:

The new home app has some screenshots in it that look like they're from a tablet with a similar form factor to the Nexus 7 but with different bezels and camera location. The clock shows 4:20 but it's definitely not a Nexus 10 (or 4 for that matter) so maybe there's a new tablet coming?

Of course it could just be a generic render.

e: poo poo it might be a Nexus 9, I always forget about that one.

That is definitely a Nexus 9, the mark on the metal edge on the top just to the right of the center (antenna line? idk) is part of the Nexus 9 I believe.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
So, uh, one thing I've wanted for a long time was basically a Google Play Books Kindle. It looks like Barnes and Noble might be the ones to provide it, and for $50.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/11/16/barnes-and-noble-debuts-50-nook-tablet-to-take-on-amazon/

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Luchadork posted:

So, uh, one thing I've wanted for a long time was basically a Google Play Books Kindle. It looks like Barnes and Noble might be the ones to provide it, and for $50.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/11/16/barnes-and-noble-debuts-50-nook-tablet-to-take-on-amazon/

Hmm. As long as it's not a step back in performance from the Nexus 7 2013, I'm game.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Luchadork posted:

It isn't though. That's just a cheap tablet. Take your pick of any number of sub $100 tablets that have play store access.

I think what people wanted was a proper eink e-reader hooked into play books.

It also has a pretty horrific 1024x600 resolution. Stick to used Nexus 7.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Luchadork posted:

Looks like they killed the good resolution to make the price point - 7" version used to be 1440x900, now it's 1024x600

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

bull3964 posted:

It isn't though. That's just a cheap tablet. Take your pick of any number of sub $100 tablets that have play store access.

It also has a pretty horrific 1024x600 resolution. Stick to used Nexus 7.

Holy Christ, I didn't even register the resolution spec. Well so much for that.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
No e-ink, no point.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug

Chas McGill posted:

No e-ink, no point.

Given that this is the Android tablet thread, and I haven't seen anything about that category of device in a while anyway... Is there still nothing real in the non-backlit tablet category?

That Earl outdoor eInk tablet is one of the weirdest vaporware :shepicide: things I've read about in a while. And beyond that, looks like prospects are still only janky rooted eReaders or ordering some Russian or Chinese device with general use as a tertiary-at-best function?

Is there anything I've missed since the last curious refresher search done?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I can't even begin to understand the use-case that would lead you to wanting an e-ink tablet.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Reading?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yes, and we have e-readers for that. Tablets are intended for general use and unless e-ink refresh gets orders of magnitude faster, it's entirely unsuited for general use.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

Pillbug
Specifically, outdoors reading. Web articles like a dump of Pocket saved stuff, Firefox Reader stuff, or various ebook apps or markets, or the option for audio content, or really any content that isn't run through merchant gateways or user hoop-jumping.

Sure e-reader and tablet SOCs are at different points on efficiencies, but modern kindles/nooks/etc are still non-speaker devices with dumb workarounds for any content outside their stores right?

Edit; Like I get that passive displays have a long way to come before dynamic stuff like videos will be OK, it's more a "huh, there's an unserved category" reaction to the market

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Nov 16, 2016

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Endless Mike posted:

Yes, and we have e-readers for that. Tablets are intended for general use and unless e-ink refresh gets orders of magnitude faster, it's entirely unsuited for general use.

People want an e-ink reader that can access all the books you have on Google Play Books. It's not an unreasonable request.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Endless Mike posted:

I don't think there are any e-ink devices that run Google Play Books. Reading articles etc outside would be cool.

imo there'd be a big market for a large e-ink device for reading textbooks etc.

e: beaten

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Jerk McJerkface posted:

People want an e-ink reader that can access all the books you have on Google Play Books. It's not an unreasonable request.

Exactly. If someone wants to fully integrate with the Google ecosystem, they can't read on anything other than a phone or tablet.

It's not unique, Apple is the same way with their bookstore, but it is a little irritating. I could use survey rewards points to buy books damnit.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Wasn't one of the e-ink Nook Readers rootable, seem to remember people getting Google Play etc on to them.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

bull3964 posted:

Jerk McJerkface posted:

It's existed for years, the iRiver Story HD: https://www.amazon.com/iRiver-Story-Digital-Reader-Version/dp/B0053QC0EU

Fully integrated to Google Play Books in the way Kindles are to the Amazon store, or the Kobos are to the Kobo store. Of course it's also a 5 year old device so it doesn't have the latest high res eink display, but if you're very insistent on using the GPB store, there ya go!

I mean it's trashy compared to a Kindle of the time, but that's what you get for insisting on GPB integration.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007
My mom wants a replacement for her dying Nexus 10, which she loves. Suggestions?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
iPad Pro 9.7" 32g on sale for under $500 lol

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Pixel C, maybe?

My Venue 8 is starting to be flaky and the wife wants something that can handle Marshmallow with more onboard storage, so I just bit the bullet on a Shield K1. Hopefully it'll meet our needs. And, of course, this means they'll announce something new soon (they won't, but that's okay because the Switch is coming out soon enough).

Edit: Yes, I know the Switch isn't an Android tablet. I'm mentioning it in passing.

G-Prime fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Nov 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007

Keyser S0ze posted:

iPad Pro 9.7" 32g on sale for under $500 lol

I already made that suggestion. She says she is more comfortable with Android.