Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

SubponticatePoster posted:

Oh, word? Where do I buy discs for Spotify, Kindle, etc etc etc

get a blank cd and write spotify on it in sharpie, then put some music on it

if you didn't pay for any of that, put some ads on it as well to simulate the spotify free experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
There's also events where the orcs are fighting eachother where you can pick and choose who's more likely to get promoted but dying is the best way to churn the system up

acksplode
May 17, 2004

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Get stuff on disc if you want something more than a license to 'rent' the game on a company's (ever malleable) lovely terms.

Same goes for Spotify, Kindle, iTunes, Netflix, Hulu, etc, etc, etc
Physical games are revocable, malleable licenses with some bits attached. Technically you're renting either way

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The best way to play SoM is to only buy upgrades when you die. The game is easy enough this isn't really punishing but gives you just enough of a handicap that it is a bit more possible to play with its various systems.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Nah actually The Division is good now. New expansion dropped today as well as a new patch that introduces a bunch of positive changes. The game is vastly different than it was at release.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

acksplode posted:

Physical games are revocable, malleable licenses with some bits attached. Technically you're renting either way

You're kind of playin devil's advocate here, and I understand where you're coming from. In order to avoid bullshit forums conversation I'll just reply with "No"

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Is Hitman good for $30? I wasn't going near it until they released the whole game

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Watch Dogs 2 seamless multiplayer now works - or at least the coolest mode. Give it a shot friends. Yes the characters are (intentionally) corny but they're likable - even the guy with the mask, which shocked me - and the game is as good as any open world game.

The last game I evangelized was Titanfall 2 and this game is just as good, if you like open world games of course.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

cage-free egghead posted:

Nah actually The Division is good now. New expansion dropped today as well as a new patch that introduces a bunch of positive changes. The game is vastly different than it was at release.

Tell me more.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

ElwoodCuse posted:

Is Hitman good for $30? I wasn't going near it until they released the whole game

It's excellent. Depending on who you ask it either surpasses Blood Money, is equal to it or only very slightly inferior to it. One of the best stealth games released this year.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

It's also one of the rare episodic games that I thought actually benefitted from the formula, since it inspired you to go back and try new poo poo on the level you just completed as opposed to just playing through the mission once and never going back to it. Just all around an awesome game and a welcome return to form for the franchise. Just about the only things missing are a Kyd soundtrack and a briefcase to put my rifle in.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Is I am Setsuna good ?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
How well does the new Hitman scratch the itch for someone who's like "I just want an area/scenario that exists on it's own with not too much intentional design and says have at it and has a lot of fun in having at it"? Like MGSV and attacking bases in Far Cry really appealed to me in that "study the area, come up with your own attack (that actually feels like your own), execute it and probably fail 10 times" way.

And would it be stupid as hell to buy just the intro pack right now to find out?

Edit: What games actually do scratch that itch?

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Nov 22, 2016

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Intel&Sebastian posted:

How well does the new Hitman scratch the itch for someone who's like "I just want an area/scenario that exists on it's own with not too much intentional design and says have at it and has a lot of fun in having at it"? Like MGSV and attacking bases in Far Cry really appealed to me in that "study the area, come up with your own attack (that actually feels like your own), execute it and probably fail 10 times" way.

And would it be stupid as hell to buy just the intro pack right now to find out?

Very well I'd say, theres dozens of unique ways to take out targets and if you don't want to do any of that you can just rush up and shoot them in the head

My only recommendation if you do buy it is turn off all the "opportunity" indicators. If you leave them on the game gives you so many objective points and detailed instructions on how to complete the mission you might as well just let the game play itself.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

fit em all up in there posted:

Is I am Setsuna good ?

Yes.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

this was actually at its peak during the heyday of "the witcher 3 sucks because it should be the same giant rpg but with dark souls combat"

which i think is loving stupid, if anything the horse should have controlled like f-zero,

Same only Metal Gear Solid 5 with proper Wolfenstein 3D controls.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Edit: What games actually do scratch that itch?

Hitman is perfect for that. There's numerous ways to kill your targets and complete your objectives and if you turn the opportunities and instinct mode off, you may not even realize just what works. The levels are meant to be replayed so you can try different things and mess around with different stuff in the level just to see what happens.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fit em all up in there posted:

Is I am Setsuna good ?

It is stunningly mediocre and suffers from having little identity of its own and just going "Hey, remember CHRONO TRIGGER/FFX? So do we!"

The plot is also immensely paint-by-numbers and the ending is the most ridiculously forced thing I've ever seen.

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

I don't know how to describe this feeling I'm getting, as I haven't felt this way in awhile, but... I think I'm getting hyped for Final Fantasy XV.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

illBilliam posted:

I don't know how to describe this feeling I'm getting, as I haven't felt this way in awhile, but... I think I'm getting hyped for Final Fantasy XV.

No, don't do it! You're just setting yourself for pain!

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
So would it be a bad idea to buy the intro pack as a tester for enjoying hitman? The last couple of times I tried to play it since 2 didn't really grab me so I'm wary.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

So would it be a bad idea to buy the intro pack as a tester for enjoying hitman? The last couple of times I tried to play it since 2 didn't really grab me so I'm wary.

I mean, that's literally what it exists for, to let you test it out and determine if you want to buy the rest.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

Getting new super abilities during the final mission which are halfway up the upgrade tree and have specific upgrades? I mean I guess it's not impossible but I've literally never played a game where that happens.

Infamous Second Son has the final boss give you an entire power + upgrade tree in the final fight.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Yeah, that'll give you a couple tutorial stages and the first complete stage, which will tell you all you need to know about the game.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

rabidsquid posted:

this was actually at its peak during the heyday of "the witcher 3 sucks because it should be the same giant rpg but with dark souls combat"

which i think is loving stupid, if anything the horse should have controlled like f-zero,

Yeah, that is loving stupid-- the Witcher 3 should be the same giant RPG but with Dragon's Dogma combat

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

illBilliam posted:

I've felt it, too.

The game is a direct appeal to western nostalgia, and the first big-time JRPG attempt since, what....1999?

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!

acksplode posted:

Consumer law overrides EULA bullshit in most of the cases so no.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Most games today depend on online functionality to work so they have a limited lifespan anyway, you won't get the same gameplay experience today from Dark Souls than you will in 20 years for instance.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

El Hefe posted:

Most games today depend on online functionality to work so they have a limited lifespan anyway, you won't get the same gameplay experience today from Dark Souls than you will in 20 years for instance.

You can't even play destiny offline so unless they patch that, that's one of those cases where the entire experience will simply disappear.

Also because a lot of multiplayer games work off almost a yearly cycle it's almost pointless playing anything multiplayer that's over a year old. Population has moved on to something else. There are exceptions but can you imagine trying to play battlefront next fall? It's gonna be so empty even on ps4 and it's all about battlefront 2.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

El Hefe posted:

Dark Souls on windows is only now working in Japan again :v: they're patching in steam works, before it was the atrocity of GFWL

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

How is AC Syndicate? I enjoyed Mafia 3 flaws and all. The thing had these huge fatal crashes and poo poo but I still enjoyed it because it was narrative driven. I can't wait to finally play Witcher 3 this weekend (I got the GOG version with all the DLC) but wondering if you guys recommend I use a DS4 or stick to keyboard and mouse?

I haven't played any of the other Witchers.

So yeah is Syndicate worth the Black Friday price? If yes is the gold version worth it for the DLC? Bless.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I'd been waiting for that Hitman bundle to go on sale. I loved 2, Contracts, and Blood Money but skipped Absolution. Everything I've heard about it sounds promising.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Housh posted:

How is AC Syndicate? I enjoyed Mafia 3 flaws and all. The thing had these huge fatal crashes and poo poo but I still enjoyed it because it was narrative driven. I can't wait to finally play Witcher 3 this weekend (I got the GOG version with all the DLC) but wondering if you guys recommend I use a DS4 or stick to keyboard and mouse?

So yeah is Syndicate worth the Black Friday price? If yes is the gold version worth it for the DLC? Bless.

Its a decent game by all accounts but i dont think you'll miss not having it

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

El Hefe posted:

Emulators

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Minidust posted:

Is The Division's DLC the kind of stuff that divides the playerbase, or is it more stand-alone stuff? I know people aren't too crazy about the game in general, but being in the NYC metropolitan area I'm a sucker for the motif. $10 is perfect for me if the DLC/Season Pass/whatever won't be an issue.

I only just got onto the division and so far i'm 12 hours in and it's the best game i've played this year. The DLC is new areas, one is 'the subway' as randomly generated dungeons and one is a separate survival mode. very different and nothing to do with the base game.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I was also thinking about Assassin's Creed Syndicate since on Gamefly I can buy a used copy for $8.

AC Unity is actually more expensive there, and I still have a copy of it from the last sale that has been sitting on my shelf not even installed

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

cubicle gangster posted:

I only just got onto the division and so far i'm 12 hours in and it's the best game i've played this year. The DLC is new areas, one is 'the subway' as randomly generated dungeons and one is a separate survival mode. very different and nothing to do with the base game.

To extrapolate some more on this:

The base game allows you to play unhindered levels 1-30 and all the way up to Gearscore 229 (256 after latest patch). Think Destiny light levels.

Underground, the first optional expansion, is a randomly generated set of underground areas with different objectives, with the ability to alter the runs with "directives" that change gameplay elements (ammo doesn't drop, no radar, etc)

Survival is the 2nd expansion and is a lot more like Day-Z with elements like heat, hunger, disease that you have to worry about. You also start as a fresh character and each Survival game carries no characteristics to your previous character. It is essentially an alternate game mode.

The expansions are paid, but are absolutely not required. They're fun but you really don't miss out on too much gear or weapons that you couldn't get from other sources.

So the playerbase is fractured a bit, but think of it in the same respect as a FPS having deathmatch, team deathmatch, ctf, etc.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Syndicate is good.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

cage-free egghead posted:

To extrapolate some more on this:

The base game allows you to play unhindered levels 1-30 and all the way up to Gearscore 229 (256 after latest patch). Think Destiny light levels.

Underground, the first optional expansion, is a randomly generated set of underground areas with different objectives, with the ability to alter the runs with "directives" that change gameplay elements (ammo doesn't drop, no radar, etc)

Survival is the 2nd expansion and is a lot more like Day-Z with elements like heat, hunger, disease that you have to worry about. You also start as a fresh character and each Survival game carries no characteristics to your previous character. It is essentially an alternate game mode.

The expansions are paid, but are absolutely not required. They're fun but you really don't miss out on too much gear or weapons that you couldn't get from other sources.

So the playerbase is fractured a bit, but think of it in the same respect as a FPS having deathmatch, team deathmatch, ctf, etc.

actually that Survival mode sounds kind of neat, I might have to look into videos of that this weekend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Housh posted:

Syndicate is a really great rebound from Unity and plays a lot closer to Victorian GTA at points

The major DLC pack would be the Jack the Ripper pack which is pretty much a full memory sequence that's very good.

Dunno if it'll come with the Penny Dreadful murders which were pretty good missions.

• Locked thread